shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Spinel or Sapphire

S

SparkliesLuver

Completely normal! ;-) :lol: We've all been there, trust me. I'm sure most of us have been there more than we'd care to admit. :naughty:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1486729814|4126951 said:
Completely normal! ;-) :lol: We've all been there, trust me. I'm sure most of us have been there more than we'd care to admit. :naughty:

Thank God it's not just me. :lol:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Minous' spinel will be headed my way soon!!! :appl: :appl: :dance: :love:

I am so excited it boarders on ridiculous!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I looked at settings in a store today, since that was the original plan before I found the CvB settings I like so much. These are likely more budget friendly. Here are the pics. They are both very pretty I think I have a slight preference but I want to see what others think.

Option 1:
88ca3cff5b2db624a62abb23dcadd2a9.jpg

Option 2:
e0f15d5fa1f2fcc7bf3fe9436f4466bd.jpg

Both at the same time:
23d4927e668b0deeb4d48fe042bba53e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So, while I wait (not so patiently) for Minou's spinel to get here, I played around with my setting pictures to add in the spinel!

AND LOOK! :love:

Option 1:

Option 2:

Any preference now?

_39033.jpg

_39034.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh, both are lovely! But I prefer option 2, because it looks "smoother", and I think it fits your hand better. I certainly don't dislike option 1, but think the 2nd option is incredible!

So excited for you to get Minous' stone!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Me too! I think Option 2 is a slight preference. Option 1 is very dainty and my ring finger on my right hand is 7.5, so not all that dainty!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheElms|1486958457|4127990 said:
Me too! I think Option 2 is a slight preference. Option 1 is very dainty and my ring finger on my right hand is 7.5, so not all that dainty!

haha I understand--I have size 7 fingers. I don't think size 7-8 is big by any means, but definitely means that slightly sturdier settings look better (IMHO).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Option 2: I prefer the slightly thicker to thinner transition or flow of the shank.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for option# 2! :love:

meladori

Rough_Rock
I personally prefer option 2. It looks a lot more tapered and elegant. :love:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! So helpful and reassuring that everyone likes the same setting I do! I found one more setting option online, I won't have a hand photo but I'll try my photo editing skills on it tonight. It has slightly larger diamonds in the shoulder and a wider shank I think, although I can't find that measurement online. Its the Jeff Cooper Honey.

jeff_cooper_honey.jpg

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So here is my best attempt at photoshop. Its hard without having a hand shot. I do like the bigger diamonds on the shoulder and think it would suit my hand better. However, looking at the description its unclear if the setting can be made for an oval. I don't see why it couldn't be, but the description mentions round cut stones only.

honey.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the Jeff Cooper setting you posted. :appl:
It is VERY hard to patiently wait for a stone to arrive and you are making good use of your time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down 2 it's much more classic and will age better.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Niel!

And thanks Stone Hunter for calling my activities productive! I'm the first to admit I am not a patient person. The waiting is killing me. According to USPS the stone should arrive Wednesday, so I am telling myself Thursday so I don't get my hopes up for tomorrow.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
It's here!!!!!! It's here!!!! I am at work so I can only take crappy indoor iPhone pics but it is stunning!!!! And so very sparkly.

Here it is with my ering

373e0a7c00998044c3b51fda728bcd0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

img_15071.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Eeeeeee! :appl: What do you think?!?! Spill your thoughts! :lol:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I love how sparkly it is! I can see the facets at the bottom and when the light reflects off them, which is really cool. They shoot pink and pink-peach colors. Its not very sunny here today but the sun peeked out and I stood by a co-workers window and the stone is even more neon pink in daylight than indoor florescent light.

I love that it looks really different than my e-ring. My e-ring is a concave cut sapphire so it doesn't look the same at all and the color is dark enough that unless the sapphire is really clean I can't see the facets on the bottom. Oh and its set as low as they could make it, by request because I want it to last forever and I was worried I would damage it, which doesn't help with the sparkliness either.

Its a little more narrow that I realized, which might change my plan to do double claw prongs, if I get CvB to make a custom setting, which I worry might overwhelm it. I'm hoping some folks here might be able to advise me about that and if CvB does a to scale CAD that might help as well. I want it to be delicate but I also have less dainty fingers so I need to make sure the finished product looks good on my hand! Because I fully intend to wear it most days!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice and I don't think double claws will be an issue. That said, please either repost your vid under a fake ID or remove the video link as it shows your full real name!

S

SparkliesLuver

I assume it's a keeper? If so, super congratulations! :D

I'd have to see a CAD to give my honest two cents about the claw prong question. I will say I love my rings with double claws because they are delicate, and my fingers are less dainty than yours. ;-)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, that mahenge looks stunning, in your video. :love: :love: I've been drooling over it forever on LT and your video made it look even better. So jealous!! :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see what you do with it!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So the plan is a custom setting by CvB!!!! The cost of the Jeff Cooper that I preferred and everyone else preferred is about the same as a CvB setting (I figured CvB would be pushing the budget and was pleasantly surprised) so this is super exciting and I am beyond excited. :loopy:

On a more mundane note, I'm going to send the stone off to AGL. I realize I don't have to do this and lots of people would not do this, but its what I'd like to do. My question is does it make sense to pay the extra amount and get the Prestige report with origin rather than just a gem brief? There is a cost difference ($65 versus $220). I was thinking it might, if only for insurance / valuation reasons. If I get the final ring appraised would it raise the appraisal value to know that it is a Mahenge spinel rather than a hot pink Burmese spinel or is it the color and cut / clarity that drive the value of the appraisal more than a particular origin?

I do plan to wear the ring so I want it to be properly insured in case anything were to happen. And as you have all commented Minousbijoux's spinel was well priced and I would almost certainly have to pay more to replace it if something were to happen.

So, what say the PS experts?

S

SparkliesLuver

Personally, I'd do the Prestige Report. I did it for two of my spinels and I don't regret it at all.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Spinel sent to AGL for a Prestige Origin Report and Caysie is working on the CAD drawing for the setting. Wahoo! How do people fill the waiting time? I am just dreadful at waiting. I did start a mini project, getting my mother's engagement ring resized so I could wear it, but that will also take a week before it is complete. I'm having a half shank replacement because the ring was showing porosity in the gold, had worn thin anyway, and needed to be made almost two sizes larger.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheElms|1487115621|4128824 said:
Thanks Niel!

And thanks Stone Hunter for calling my activities productive! I'm the first to admit I am not a patient person. The waiting is killing me. According to USPS the stone should arrive Wednesday, so I am telling myself Thursday so I don't get my hopes up for tomorrow.

Patience has paid off!! Looks lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results