clarity

New Black Opal

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks wonderful - the setting is perfect for the stone.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It's perfectly gorgeous, and the bezel looks very well-made.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just picked up my ring from the post office! Here are some quick camera shots, I love it!

Haha, don't worry, I won't actually be wearing it stacked with my bands like this, I know it would ruin all the lovely miligrain etc... It's a shame though cause it looks so pretty!

opring.JPG

opring2.JPG

opring3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful clean lines and such simplicity is beautiful is its own way.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And some more photos.
I wish I could capture the glow of the flash, it just glows and glitters.

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last few

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LD|1321912258|3066322 said:
I've not seen a solid opal with a base like this one. Normally when there's a division around the side it's a doublet (or triplet). It could be that this one has just quite a lot of matrix on the sides and bottom but I would have expected to see some of the colour play at the sides rather than a solid darker colour? I'm really interested in knowing more.

It's a very nice natural solid black opal. I just cut three similar intense blue/green black opals from Lightning Ridge, Australia. While some might mistake such stones as doublets, the structure is typical of opals from Lightning Ridge which yields the finest black opal gems on the planet. The following image of a face-polished rough opal illustrates how fine precious material is often sandwiched between layers of black "potch" opal. When cut as a single gem the black background intensifies the precious opal colors.

Ruff 3.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Richard, that's what my vendor told me as well. :)

Also, when I had another local gemologist take a look at it, he found the bit of sand that you can see in the stone reassuring as to it being solid. Though I guess it's hard to explain without seeing it, but I swear it defies being photographed. Haha. It's sort of like a small inclusion in your faceted stone that makes you feel more at ease about it being natural, lol.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this thread? Great opal, MTG, and Jill's work is impeccable, as always, and it suits the stone so well! Congratulations! Wear it in good health and in good mood!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results