shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay auctions w/ private offer. Pro or Cons?

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Re: Not a very nice thing for Tan to do!!!

ForteKitty|1339455756|3214092 said:
Haha, sorry to disappoint, but the last thing I sold on ebay was some old halloween costumes back in 2003.

I'm speaking from a realistic buyer's POV. I buy a ton on ebay, and I have seen many sellers write the following: "This item is listed elsewhere for sale, so I reserve the right to end auction early at my discretion".

You're buying from random seller on ebay, not a store. They don't have to baby you.

Tan does not have this warning in his listing
Customers do not need babysitting, but should have the rights to be informed.
If sellers stated this in his listing, I will stay away, and no complaining.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Read Ebay's policy. It's clearly listed.

Again, sellers do not have to babysit you and recite every policy listed by Ebay. When you agreed to ebay's terms, you agreed to ALL their terms.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

VapidLapid|1339456349|3214100 said:
Sellers can also block a bidder who is unreasonable in expectations about how things in the world work, or who then throw tantrums when everything doesn't work out in their favor from bidding on their listings.

I expect an auction to run until it ends

And I expect seller states if he want to sell it to someone else

How is that unreasable??

Where are the tantrums that you see? I am not against Tan in this thread. I did say he is considering.

Unrelated here but I acutally said to him we PSers love his store and thanked him during our conversation in ebay message.

If you are a seller, please block me. Cause I sure can't trust you.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

ForteKitty|1339456926|3214112 said:
Read Ebay's policy. It's clearly listed.

Again, sellers do not have to babysit you and recite every policy listed by Ebay. When you agreed to ebay's terms, you agreed to ALL their terms.

I'm surprised as a buyers' forum. People are just OK with this
Clearly No one is gonna read 100 pages ebay policy to buy at ebay

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Just because this is a buyer's forum doesn't mean that we are always right. If you don't read the terms, that's your problem. That's like saying, "well, I didn't know I was signing for an adjustable mortgage. I thought it was a fixed rate."

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

bluenights|1339457345|3214115 said:
Sellers can also block a bidder who is unreasonable in expectations about how things in the world work, or who then throw tantrums when everything doesn't work out in their favor from bidding on their listings.

How is that unreasable??

Where are the tantrums that you see? I am not against Tan in this thread. I did say he is considering.

Unrelated here but I acutally said to him we PSers love his store and thanked him during our conversation in ebay message.

It did. it ran until it ended. Tan ended it.

He sold it to someone else, that is about as clear a statement as can be. He is not obliged to tell every person who ever made
an inquiry of his desire to sell the item. If you are selling a house and thirty people come to the open house and two people make low ball bids, and then someone comes and makes a serious, acceptable bid you take the bid and go to contract.

In your previous thread you were looking to have a problem with Tan, and here like a self fulfilling prophecy you have it. Your tantrum isn't about Tan, it is about you not getting your way.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade

A lot of folks get very emotionally wrapped up in an auction, myself included. It doesn't matter if you are a buyer or seller, it is easy to get your feelings stirred up during an auction.
As a buyer I am usually very serious so I look only at 'buy it now' listings and ignore an item if it is in auction format as that eats valuable time. I want to be efficient in my shopping thus I find what I want that is available for sale now and buy it immediately.
As a seller I basically stopped doing eBay auctions, I even took the 'make offer' button out of my listings. I just never liked the mixed bag of emotions that go those type of deals. I prefer a straight price as I know how much I need out of each item and mark it accordingly.
Simple is peaceful. People buy it, I ship it immediately. No waiting for an auction to end, no haggling, no padding a price to allow room for offers, no complicated ideas.
Maybe that is boring to some people that love the chase and just love to bid. Best regards, Lee

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've experienced disappointment when an auction ends early, and I wanted the stone, so I know where Bluenight is coming from. If you really want something, and someone buys it unexpectedly, it's a bummer. One of the reasons I enjoy ebay auctions (and not just Tan's, but others), is that I have a chance to buy a gem unlike some sites, where people see a stone pop up, and poof, it's gone in a nanosecond. I gave up buying on those sites eons ago. I just don't have trigger fingers and I don't magically know exactly when their pages updated.

This is my view, and I don't think we can kick ourselves if we don't bid.
I think that if there are bids, then Tan should let the auction run to its completion to avoid this frustration with his other customers. However, if there are no bids after a few days, then I think he should be able to sell it early. I bet this will piss off people that do buy from Tan before the auction ends, but I think it's a happy medium. If Tan wants a certain price for a stone, then he should do a BIN, but he runs that risk with auctions, and sometimes they end high, and sometimes low.

ETA: I also suggest that even if you win an auction or BIN, that you ask the seller if the stone is available before you pay for it. It's safer that way. Although I have bought a lot from ebay, and more than 90% of the time, the item was still available after I won the listing, it doesn't hurt to ask.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluenights|1339457536|3214116 said:
Clearly No one is gonna read 100 pages ebay policy to buy at ebay

That is false as many of us HAVE read all the ebay policies. Knowing the policies of ANY site or store has been proven over and over again to save people a lot of trouble. It's part of being a responsible customer.

K9

Brilliant_Rock

bluenights|1339455418|3214088 said:
Again, a lot of the response are from seller's view

No, I'm stating my comment as a buyer. It has happened to me. Ebay allows it. If you don't agree with ebay's rules then blame ebay, not Tan. Again, he has done nothing wrong. If you don't agree with how he runs his stores, then don't shop with him. It's as simple as that.

I have also been the buyer of such listings where I contacted the seller and they ended the auction early for me. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That's life.

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock

A couple things:

First, I've never seen a seller just renig on what is supposed to be a fair auction, just because someone offers an amount of money to buy it now. Thats pretty messed up, and I'm surprised it's allowed in the first place. Secondly, I dont understand WHY he closed the auction with days left, after someone offers a measly $82 to buy it now! It surely wouldve gone for more than $82 if he wouldve left it up.
Maybe it was someone who he had previously promised it to. Otherwise it doesnt make any sense.

Also, I think that $82 for that stone is a steal! If I had to grade it on scholastic scale, I'd give it a 'B' for color, maybe B-. For clarity, it would get a lower grade, maybe a C, but it looks better than 98% of the other stones on Ebay, and many of them sell for more than $82, even if smaller. There arent a whole lot of almost 2 ct Tsavorites on Ebay that look half decent.

I wouldve paid $82 for it, and in a ring the inclusions wouldnt be that obvious. Unless you look close with a loupe.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

As a buyer and a seller, I just don't get why you are upset and say that you wouldn't trust any seller that ends auctions early. As a buyer, I do this ALL the time when I see auctions running. If I really want the stone, I will ask the seller if they will take what I am willing to pay. It has worked for me more than once. They end the auction, getting the fair offer I've given them, and both the seller and myself are happy. Why should I care about other buyers looking at the stone? As a seller, why should I take a chance and hope I get X amount of dollars, if I am already being offered more than X amout of dollars? Like I said, it is just business. Sellers want to make a profit, buyers want to get a good deal. If I can offer a seller a good deal, where he will be paid immediately, its up to him to make the call. I dont think taking the fast, guaranteed money is doing anything wrong. My advice to you, OP, is instead of beating them, join them. If you like a stone in an auction and you feel you can offer the seller a good price right then and there, go for it. Some will say yes and some will say no. But that is how it works.

RS, it is very obvious to me that the stone did not sell for $82. I think that is just what the dollar amount was when he closed the auction. The buyer probably offered him more than that, right then and there, and they probably worked out a deal. I could be wrong, but I thought that was what was going on..thats all. I find it very hard to believe that stone would have been ended at $82.

K9

Brilliant_Rock

Chrisa222|1339466060|3214208 said:
As a buyer and a seller, I just don't get why you are upset and say that you wouldn't trust any seller that ends auctions early. As a buyer, I do this ALL the time when I see auctions running. If I really want the stone, I will ask the seller if they will take what I am willing to pay. It has worked for me more than once. They end the auction, getting the fair offer I've given them, and both the seller and myself are happy. Why should I care about other buyers looking at the stone? As a seller, why should I take a chance and hope I get X amount of dollars, if I am already being offered more than X amout of dollars? Like I said, it is just business. Sellers want to make a profit, buyers want to get a good deal. If I can offer a seller a good deal, where he will be paid immediately, its up to him to make the call. I dont think taking the fast, guaranteed money is doing anything wrong. My advice to you, OP, is instead of beating them, join them. If you like a stone in an auction and you feel you can offer the seller a good price right then and there, go for it. Some will say yes and some will say no. But that is how it works.

RS, it is very obvious to me that the stone did not sell for $82. I think that is just what the dollar amount was when he closed the auction. The buyer probably offered him more than that, right then and there, and they probably worked out a deal. I could be wrong, but I thought that was what was going on..thats all. I find it very hard to believe that stone would have been ended at $82.

Ditto to all of this.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

K9|1339466135|3214209 said:

Ditto to all of this.

If there are no bids on a stone, then fine, end it early for the sake of making a profit on a respectable offer.

I think the problem comes in where there are bids on the stone, and Tan may be alienating customers in ending those types of auctions early. Personally, I have never asked him to end an auction where there were bids because

1) I would feel bad about it as I have been in their shoes when the auction ends early
2) I don't want Tan to alienate those customers

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock

I guess when you describe it that way^, it makes sense to either accept an offer before auction's end, or for a potential buyer to make an offer before the auction is over. I just wasnt aware it was even allowed, and I was looking at it like a broken contract or something similar. But if it's accepted practice, then so be it...... I'll try it some time. I've never seen it mentioned in the rules or instructions on ebay, and I've never seen a "buy it now" button for ongoing auction items where there is no "buy it now" price listed. But its good to know it's possible.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am a buyer only on eBay and abide by eBay's policies. This is eBay's policy and as such, all vendors are doing nothing wrong by ending the auction early when a customer offers a good price. Chris explained the reasoning from both sides very well, including the likely scenario of what happened between Tan and the now owner of the tsavorite. I am sorry for how you feel though since you were not aware of the policy, and so was caught off-guard by what happened. I rarely bid because I never know how it's going to end up. The price could end up too high with everyone driving up the price, I could be out-bid or whatever else. If I really want the stone, I usually make an offer and so far, my offers have been accepted. I do NOT make offers on stones that are on auction though.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

TL|1339466691|3214223 said:
K9|1339466135|3214209 said:

Ditto to all of this.

If there are no bids on a stone, then fine, end it early for the sake of making a profit on a respectable offer.

I think the problem comes in where there are bids on the stone, and Tan may be alienating customers in ending those types of auctions early. Personally, I have never asked him to end an auction where there were bids because

1) I would feel bad about it as I have been in their shoes when the auction ends early
2) I don't want Tan to alienate those customers

TL, you are reading my mind!

bluenights

Rough_Rock

RedSpinel|1339465846|3214206 said:
A couple things:

First, I've never seen a seller just renig on what is supposed to be a fair auction, just because someone offers an amount of money to buy it now. Thats pretty messed up, and I'm surprised it's allowed in the first place. .

I am surprised ebay allow this too.
It is a messed up to offer an auction item
I don't see any YOUR BEST OFFER button in an auction.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

As a buyer and a seller, I just don't get why you are upset and say that you wouldn't trust any seller that ends auctions early. As a buyer, I do this ALL the time when I see auctions running. If I really want the stone, I will ask the seller if they will take what I am willing to pay. It has worked for me more than once. They end the auction, getting the fair offer I've given them, and both the seller and myself are happy. Why should I care about other buyers looking at the stone?

No wonder you support this behavior so badly. Because you are that kind of customer, like to sneak in and took everyone's equal chance. Think that offer an auction item and offer a BIN item is the same thing.

But a lot of us do consider other people's feeling ,and like to play the game fair and equal, which case no one will get upset.

So don't reply me anymore, Your thoughts is not valuable to me anymore. I got snapped by someone like you. I am upset. We have nothing in common.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Blunight, instead of getting angry at other people, perhaps you should direct that towards ebay? Afterall, it is their policy you have an issue with. Take it up with them. I just dont see what good it will do, though. You really can't force a seller to sell you something if they rather sell it to someone else, you know?

And it does sound like you're whining and throwing a tantrum. Maybe you're not, but it reads that way online.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

VapidLapid|1339459032|3214131 said:
bluenights|1339457345|3214115 said:

How is that unreasable??

It did. it ran until it ended. Tan ended it.

He sold it to someone else, that is about as clear a statement as can be. He is not obliged to tell every person who ever made
an inquiry of his desire to sell the item. If you are selling a house and thirty people come to the open house and two people make low ball bids, and then someone comes and makes a serious, acceptable bid you take the bid and go to contract.

In your previous thread you were looking to have a problem with Tan, and here like a self fulfilling prophecy you have it. Your tantrum isn't about Tan, it is about you not getting your way.

I'm not against Tan, I watch his listings and bid on his stone after that thread, that thread is just a question of mine, I have never use any harsh word in that thread. You are right, this isn't about Tan, this is about all ebay snappers
Selling a house is not the same thing.
This is like in a real auction, you have a room full of people, and have started the auction, then suddenly you got a call, one of your firend wants it, you just close the auction without explain to the room why?

I don't feel like to give more examples or argue with you. Your words isn't logical at all....

bluenights

Rough_Rock

RedSpinel|1339466908|3214229 said:
I guess when you describe it that way^, it makes sense to either accept an offer before auction's end, or for a potential buyer to make an offer before the auction is over. I just wasnt aware it was even allowed, and I was looking at it like a broken contract or something similar. But if it's accepted practice, then so be it...... I'll try it some time. I've never seen it mentioned in the rules or instructions on ebay, and I've never seen a "buy it now" button for ongoing auction items where there is no "buy it now" price listed. But its good to know it's possible.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Whether or not he has that in his listing, it's at his prerogative, he has the goods.

Sorry that you missed out, but like FK I have also missed out on auctions, I've learned if you really want something to write and ask if they'll take an offer, otherwise you may miss out entirely.

Best of luck finding something that suits your budget and your wants.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

ForteKitty|1339469653|3214292 said:
Blunight, instead of getting angry at other people, perhaps you should direct that towards ebay? Afterall, it is their policy you have an issue with. Take it up with them. I just dont see what good it will do, though. You really can't force a seller to sell you something if they rather sell it to someone else, you know?

And it does sound like you're whining and throwing a tantrum. Maybe you're not, but it reads that way online.

That's just your words

Seems like this is a common issue. Some are not against this behavior (Not talking about seller here, talking about buyers offer an auction item), but I am.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

OP I am sorry if you feel this way, but this is the way of the world. Ebay is a competitive marketplace where buyers are trying to buy and sellers are trying to sell. You can have your opinions of what is morally or ethically right or wrong, but none of that matters, and Im sorry if that makes you think that I am a bad person. It is about making the buy or making the sale, all rules/policies are in play. It is competitive, there aren't hundreds of "eyeclean, well saturated Mahenge Spinel's" out there...so if I see one, and nobody else is smart enough to try to entice the seller to sell it to them (at possibly more money than they will get out of auction...its a gamble, you know) than I will scoop that stone up every time, sorry. Don't forget, it is the seller that has to also take that gamble...how high will the auction go...will this offer exceed what I am willing to chance the auction ending at. At the end of the day, both buyer and seller have to make the best play they can to either win that bid or sell that item. You have to play all the cards you are dealt...after all, its a game.

And, FYI..and I cannot speak for Tan...but it is one thing for him to tell you what you want to her to try to appease you. But if you really think that means he will never try to negotiate offers with buyers who present him with attractive offers....I think that is perhaps a bit naive. If Tan actually abides by that, it is a shame for him that he is out every available opportunity to make the sales he needs to make to pay his bills and support his family.

And if you dont like my posts, please don't read them. Nobody is forcing you to.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

bluenights|1339470577|3214308 said:

That's just your words

Seems like this is a common issue. Some are not against this behavior (Not talking about seller here, talking about buyers offer an auction item), but I am.

Just my words? Do you mean my perception of your words?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluenights|1339469389|3214288 said:
But a lot of us do consider other people's feeling ,and like to play the game fair and equal, which case no one will get upset.

The rules of the game determine what is fair to do, and the rules state this is allowed. If you did not know the rules, that is no one's fault but your own. Your reaction is essentially like if you were taking an open-note test but didn't know it was open-note and got pissed off at all your classmates for having their notes out.

Someone getting to a stone before you - sometimes even so quickly before you that your payment has to be refunded - is fairly common in buying gemstones online. If you cannot stomach it, you would do well to avoid auction sites, Etsy and Ruby Lane (where sellers may also have the item in a physical store), and small lapidary websites that allow payment by paypal (as sometimes there is enough time between when someone pays and the stone is marked as sold to allow another person or several to pay, and then those later people get refunded). Yes, it is frustrating sometimes when you thought you had something you wanted but then don't, but at the end of the day the only thing you've lost is the idea that you own or could own that stone. If you do not want to allow for that possibility, I suggest only buying in person.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

distracts|1339472480|3214332 said:
bluenights|1339469389|3214288 said:

The rules of the game determine what is fair to do, and the rules state this is allowed. If you did not know the rules, that is no one's fault but your own. Your reaction is essentially like if you were taking an open-note test but didn't know it was open-note and got pissed off at all your classmates for having their notes out.

Someone getting to a stone before you - sometimes even so quickly before you that your payment has to be refunded - is fairly common in buying gemstones online. If you cannot stomach it, you would do well to avoid auction sites, Etsy and Ruby Lane (where sellers may also have the item in a physical store), and small lapidary websites that allow payment by paypal (as sometimes there is enough time between when someone pays and the stone is marked as sold to allow another person or several to pay, and then those later people get refunded). Yes, it is frustrating sometimes when you thought you had something you wanted but then don't, but at the end of the day the only thing you've lost is the idea that you own or could own that stone. If you do not want to allow for that possibility, I suggest only buying in person.

THis has happened to me many times. Sure it is a bummer, but then also I've heard from vendors more than a few times that my payment had just beaten 3 others by fractions of a second. When I lose I think to my self that maybe the other person wanted it more than me and I am glad for them. Also you will never be bidding for the last Tsavorite on the planet. There will always be another, as there will always be a better one and a worse one. Often, sellers have then offered me something special coming up that hasn't even been cut yet. In all of those situations the stone I finally got was better than the one I lost on and priced a little apologetically. Given the opportunity, people will make it up to you

On ebay I have lost many auctions too and have become philosophical about bidding. In any auction the only bid that matters is the winning bid. Any bid placed before the last second only drives up the final price. If you want to win an auction, stay detached, know your maximum and stick to it, don't become emotionally attached to owning an item until after you've won it, and click the confirm button 4 seconds before the end. Even so there will still be times when someone with a sniper bid program will beat you out because their maximum was higher than yours and they played it. If they had bid earlier they still would have beat your maximum, or you would have caved to pressure and upped your maximum beyond what you, in a more rational frame of mind, had set as your limit. For some people that adrenaline rush is part of the excitement that is their payoff for buying in auctions. Every other buyer out there has different reasons for wanting the item, different values and different strategies than you. Every seller has different needs from their inventory and those needs can change over time too. To a seller, a place holding bid that is only two dollars above the starting price is not a very suggestive indicator that you would be willing to bid up another two hundred. One also never knows what else could be happening on the seller's end. There could be a regular buyer whose monthly purchases are about to ship who says they would like that one too but don't want to hold up their shipment for it to end, and since the buyer regularly spends a few thousand a month it is a no-brainer to end the auction.
I think it does far more harm to Tan that this thread exists with his name all over it, than the questionable wrong that you experienced in losing the stone in the way that you did.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty|1339470832|3214312 said:
bluenights|1339470577|3214308 said:

That's just your words

Just my words? Do you mean my perception of your words?

I'm with you FK...it DEFINITELY sounds like someone's chuckin' a fruity to me, and it's pretty amusing to watch...one of the better panties in tanties I've seen in a while.

FWIW even if I were frustrated about an ebay auction ending early (which I never have, btw, since it's only a *thing*), I value my time and energy - and constant steam coming out of my ears gives me a headache.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1339416312|3213654 said:
LD|1339411386|3213623 said:
This is common practice and not just with Tan. Many of the Ebay sellers will do it. Sorry you're disappointed. If this experience with Tan hasn't soured things for you, why not ask if he has another similar stone?

REALLY??? I never would have thought this was common - I am with bluenights, in that if it is listed as auction, I also would have assumed the auction will run itself out and whoever the winner is... is the winner, not cutting it short. Hmmm... learn something everyday!

I've never heard of this either. I think it's really strange. As far as I know once there is a bid on an item you're not really supposed to remove it unless it's damaged or lost or something. Did it have a make an offer option?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results