shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel-ing Rhodolite/Umbalite Garnet - pls help with first project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look good with any color since it has such a nice combo of red, purple and pink. Do you have a photoshop picture of it in all white we could see?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 11:13:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think it would look good with any color since it has such a nice combo of red, purple and pink. Do you have a photoshop picture of it in all white we could see?
Hi TL..no I don''t have anymore as I suck at Photoshop - this is someone else''s doing.
1.gif

I likely will prefer at least some YG though as its mainly what I wear, and I think it looks dope with my gem, lol !

Thanks Flygirl for your input - I agree with you on the RG for this one..

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow I just caught up with this thread and I can''t WAIT to see the outcome of this project! It''s going to be stunning! Loving the two tone as well:)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 11:27:14 PM
Author: Kelli
Wow I just caught up with this thread and I can''t WAIT to see the outcome of this project! It''s going to be stunning! Loving the two tone as well:)
Thanks Kelli - I''m sending the stone off to Melbourne tomorrow to have the ring created, wish me luck!
36.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would totally get the 2 tone, and I don''t even wear yellow gold! But the contrast would be amazing with your stone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 8:12:48 AM
Author: Babyblue033
I would totally get the 2 tone, and I don''t even wear yellow gold! But the contrast would be amazing with your stone.
Thanks blue! And also thankyou for the inspiration for getting an umbalite of my own..

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
GOOD LUCK!!
9.gif
9.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh I just had to come and try and find out what you''re up to -- I missed the finish of this thread before - I love the design you''ve come up with and really looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 3:38:43 AM
Author: bling addict
Oooh I just had to come and try and find out what you''re up to -- I missed the finish of this thread before - I love the design you''ve come up with and really looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks BA!
K&B seems confident in their reproducing it effectively, and they have been good to deal with so far. Sadly, the quote was quite a bit higher than what I had hoped/expected, but ah well..they were still lower than other viable options
2.gif

He also sent me some photos of some of their other work which was really nice - their milgrain especially is great (but you already knew that, lol).
1.gif

So here''s hoping it will be lovely when finished !
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so this is quite embarassing, but its an issue that's been bugging me for a lil while - and I can't ask anyone but my PS mates !

With this umbalite ring, I'm concerned I won't have enough finger real estate to make it look nice/be comfortable, if I have the leaves on the sides of the design as I've been planning..

I've been measuring (crudely), and my finger R.E across the top is ~16/17mm..the width of my cushion is 8.6mm - plus it will have a bezel.
Below is my (very embarassing) crude drawing of my cushion on my finger - this is sans bezel, but lets assume with allowing for mistakes it looks close to this when set.
I just don't see the space to add the leaves on the sides ...am I the only one?
I don't want the design to look squished, kwim..?

Okay, silly hand pic (sorry I didn't have an umbalite colour texta, lol)

DSC02805r.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

and closer up..

lol, I can''t believe I''m posting these..the things we do!

20.gif
9.gif

DSC02806r.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And so that you don''t have to go back through the thread, here is a pic of the ring I''m going for, with the leaves:

G. ring#3.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoops, sorry

G. ring#3.3.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Sorry guys, not sure what I''m doing incorrectly, aarghh!

garnet ring pic 3.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and a photoshopped version..

g ring pshop.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If I didn't get the leaves, I would just go like the below (a la Coati's ring)..

So question is, what do you guys think? Will the size issue compromise the design? I really like both equally - this last one was my first love, but I thought to add the leaves to make it a lil different and not copy Coati's outright (Hi hon!
35.gif
)..

I know this is pretty eccentric behaviour, but I'd really appreciate ppl's thoughts!

41.gif
Coats, if you're around, would you mind to tell me how many mm is your ring at its widest point..? (including bezel)..This would help me alot to judge - thanks sweets!

JM new bezel2.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 5:17:34 AM
Author: arjunajane

and closer up..

lol, I can''t believe I''m posting these..the things we do!

20.gif
9.gif

Sorry I''m not much help, but just wanted to let you know that what you''re doing is not weird at all! I don''t actually draw on my finger (
2.gif
) but I print it out to size and tape it to my finger to gage true size
31.gif
9.gif

I can see where you might be concerned about the leaf, your stone is pretty good sized to begin with. Did you also ask your jeweler? Maybe they can do a CAD drawing to show you how it''ll actually look with your stone size?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:30:20 AM
Author: Babyblue033

Date: 2/17/2009 5:17:34 AM

and closer up..

lol, I can't believe I'm posting these..the things we do!

20.gif
9.gif

Sorry I'm not much help, but just wanted to let you know that what you're doing is not weird at all! I don't actually draw on my finger (
2.gif
) but I print it out to size and tape it to my finger to gage true size
31.gif
9.gif

I can see where you might be concerned about the leaf, your stone is pretty good sized to begin with. Did you also ask your jeweler? Maybe they can do a CAD drawing to show you how it'll actually look with your stone size?
Hey BB,
thanks for your input! And good to know I'm not alone, lol..
Unfortunately my jeweller does things the old fashioned way, No CADS or wax or anything (we will just be working off a drawing)...so of course I will discuss with them when the time comes - but we're in different cities and won't ever meet in person, so thats where the difficulty lies..
Thankyou
1.gif

anybody else..?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
aww..no one else has any thoughts on my dilemma...?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see what you''re saying as far as the leaves go..how to fix it, I dunno..I wish I could help! I don''t think it''s weird at all to draw on your finger..I''ve got a notebook I trace my hand in and draw rings on, so you''re not weird in the slightest! Hopefully someone else can help w/the leaf dilemma!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of things will work in you favour:
The ring isn''t flat.
9.gif
The stone will be raised off the finger which will give you some mm space.
How large (mm) is the leaf? Knowing that will help decide whether to keep the leaf or toss it out.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 5:31:27 AM
If I didn''t get the leaves, I would just go like the below (a la Coati''s ring)..

So question is, what do you guys think? Will the size issue compromise the design? I really like both equally - this last one was my first love, but I thought to add the leaves to make it a lil different and not copy Coati''s outright (Hi hon!
35.gif
)..

I know this is pretty eccentric behaviour, but I''d really appreciate ppl''s thoughts!

41.gif
Coats, if you''re around, would you mind to tell me how many mm is your ring at its widest point..? (including bezel)..This would help me alot to judge - thanks sweets!

Hiya Sweets!

My stone is a little over 8mm and the bezel adds about 1mm--very delicate bezel.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:05:01 PM
Author: Chrono

The ring isn''t flat.
9.gif

How large (mm) is the leaf? Knowing that will help decide whether to keep the leaf or toss it out.

Ditto - I was going to say the same, but Chrono already said it for me
1.gif

AJ I love where you went with the setting for your garnet - it''s going to be so lovely! Do you know how long it will take them to make the ring?

Good luck!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 2:53:26 AM
IT''S HERRREEE!!!

Um..yeah..It''s here, and its GORGEOUS!

And of course, its impossible to photograph, lol..
I''ve done my best, I will have to try some more later..
I *wish* you guys could see it in person - the cut , the size, the colour - its sooo pretty!

Also, I never should''ve been worried about bezel-ing it - when I cup my hands around the stone (cheers for the advice
2.gif
), it actually completely lights up from within, and looks a shade or two brighter.
I love it!

Please bare with me with the average pics..I''m open to tips?

Inside in afternoon sunlight, cupped by hand..

WOW, how did I miss this??? What a gorgeous stone, AJ! I can''t wait to see it set!
30.gif
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:37:41 PM
Author: packrat
I see what you''re saying as far as the leaves go..how to fix it, I dunno..I wish I could help! I don''t think it''s weird at all to draw on your finger..I''ve got a notebook I trace my hand in and draw rings on, so you''re not weird in the slightest! Hopefully someone else can help w/the leaf dilemma!
Ha ha, thanks packrat - a notebook - now there''s a more practical idea, lol..

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AJ

What a dilemma you have - I love both designs!! Coati''s ring is stunning -- but I also really love the leaf design!! I would think that the leaves would just be at more of an angle reaching up to the stone - the leaves would still be visible I think - but yeah I think because the stone covers quite a bit of your finger, that the leaves/or not leaves if you get one like Coati''s ring - will still be at a different angle to accommodate the size stone you have in relation to your ring size...

I''m not sure I am making sense, or being helpful -- I love the leaves
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
The ring isn''t flat.
9.gif
Hiya Chrono - cheers for your input. Yes hopefully my ring will not be flat , lol
41.gif

But I also don''t want the bezel up too high - unfortunately I have no idea what the dimensions of the leaves will be - but I will report back once I do
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:45:12 PM
Author: coatimundi

Hiya Sweets!

My stone is a little over 8mm and the bezel adds about 1mm--very delicate bezel.
Hi matey
35.gif

Really, only 1mm? It seems so much more substantial ..huh..
So mine will be a couple mm wider, but taking in difference in finger size, it will be very similiar proportions me thinks..do you think yours would''ve worked with leaves?
If you don''t mind to entertain my musings for a minute that is, he
5.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have I been under a rock?! How did I miss this?!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:54:28 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

The ring isn''t flat.
9.gif

Ditto - I was going to say the same, but Chrono already said it for me
1.gif

AJ I love where you went with the setting for your garnet - it''s going to be so lovely! Do you know how long it will take them to make the ring?

Good luck!
Hi BEG, thanks for your thoughts.
I am sad, its gonna take about another 2 or 3 weeks
7.gif
Infact we haven''t even started yet - but I can understand as the jeweller is in Melbourne where those terrible fires have been, and they have friends in crisis etc - so in this instance I could let my jewellery desires take the back seat, lol
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results