shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zzbaron

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting but I have read lots of stuff on this forum for years now. I would like to promise that I am not trying to start a fight about Tiffany rings and wanting to prove/not prove what a big rip off they are. I have observed how just the mention of Tiffany's can bring happiness and anger all in one thread and I don’t want to be a part of that.

Any ways, my question is in regards to having the Tiffany Legacy aquamarine as an ering. My soon to be fiancé loves this ring. (She also loves the legacy with the diamond in the middle but it is out of my price range for the size I would want to buy). The color of the stone perfectly matches her eyes and she loves the bezel halo style of the ring along with the mini diamonds along the side, etc. My concern is will the aquamarine hold up with being worn all the time. She works in an office so it’s not like she should be hitting her ring on something crazy all the time and she says she would take it off if we ever went hiking or stuff like that. She would just ware her wedding band for those type of activities.

We have also found another ring she really likes made by Precision Set that is a platinum ring with a bezel halo setting where I can have a diamond of my choosing put inside it. This was her favorite ring until I showed her the tiffany ring online (we have since gone to see it in person)

The top of my budget would be in the 6-8k range.

Because of this website (and years of reading everything I can on the subject) I feel like I know too much to allow myself to buy a crappy diamond for the precision set ring. I think I will be having a hard time staying in my budget if I get this ring for the size of the diamond I would want to buy. I am willing to go with a smaller diamond and buy this ring if it is true that an aquamarine for an ering is without a doubt a bad choice.

If members on this website have firsthand experience with aquamarines I would love to hear your thoughts on how it has lasted throughout the years. Are aquamarines a bad choice for an ering? Should I stick with a smaller carat size to avoid potential damage? I have read anything and everything on the subject regarding an aquamarines hardiness and its seems its about 50-50 on if you should or shouldn’t have it as a ring you ware every day. I figured this would be the best place for actually hands on experience.

Thank you again for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi! Congrats on getting engaged soon! I know there are a few people who have aquamarines as e rings o n this site. I do know it is not as hard as a diamond so daily wear might be a problem. It might not look as ''crisp'' 2-3 yrs down the line if it is warn every day due to microchipping and scratching. That is my only concern with aquas.

Are you dead set on tiffany co? If not, I see no reason why 6-8k wouldnt get you a 1.5ct+ diamond with an equally beautiful, if not fancier setting. Tiffany is known for being high priced, and you can find the same quality goods at other vendors.

But if she absolutely loves that ring, then that may be the one. Just know the stone is much softer then a diamond, and needs to be worn with care in order to keep it looking bright and fresh.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that aquas are an incredibly bad choice for an ering. Since it's my birthstone, I own several, and they are prone to chipping. I have seen the Tiffany Legacy aquas in person, and I'm unimpressed by the stone saturation and the workmanshp (shoddy bezeling and uneven millgrain) on them as well. I think you can do better for the money if you choose to get an aqua e-ring.

If you want a light blue stone, perhaps a light blue spinel or sapphire, and they would be a much more durable choice, and also offer much more sparkle and scintillation than a glassy aqua.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree that Aqua's are not a good choice for an every day e-ring. Having said that, my Mother wore an Emerald nearly every day for years and it is still fine (but she did take good care of it). To a certain extent the Legacy setting will protect the Aqua - but in all honesty, a setting never protects any stone fully.

A couple of suggestions:-

1. Whiteflash (I think) have replicated the Tiffany setting and there have been pictures of it on this forum somewhere. Certainly, it would be worth contacting them.
2. As your FI was thinking of a diamond or an Aqua, Whiteflash may be able to help with a diamond and a Legacyesque setting at the same time and work within your budget.
3. If your heart is set on an Aqua then you could contact one of the Vendors listed at the top of the coloured stone forum who may be able to cut you one (and you're likely to get a better quality/saturation etc than Tiffanys).

Good luck with your search and please do let us know what you get?

centrc

Rough_Rock
Are you dead set on tiffany co? If not, I see no reason why 6-8k wouldnt get you a 1.5ct+ diamond with an equally beautiful, if not fancier setting.

Just an FYI

Setting like the Legacy will cost minimum ~1300+ in white gold, 2000+. I would say ~1.25-1.3 CT well cut (~AGS 0) diamond OR ~1.25 CT decent cushion is the best you will find within your price range (if you include the setting). Whiteflash''s is 1350, and doesn''t look nearly as nice as the Legacy form Tiffany''s.

Check out TNSC, they also set stones. I had my stone set by them and they did an excellent job. They are also the only vendor I know that does the legacy style setting for round cut stones.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lord of the Gem Rings on Ebay makes a Legacy setting for about $300 link. With an F SI1 1.23 carat cushion from Good Old Gold, link to GOG you'll come in within budget. Here's a link to the search I did on GOG's cushions in your budget (the most expensive is around $7,000 to leave some for the setting) link to all GOG cushions.

Attached below is a shot of Lauren the Partier's LOGR Legacy rings. Tourmaline Lover has worn her LOGR Legacy setting to a Tiffany stone, and had it mistaken for one of Tiffany's by a sales associate; it also has the same carat weight as the original. You should ask your fiance if she really wants a colored stone engagement ring, or if she is choosing an aquamarine because of budgetary reasons. While I would love a colored stone engagement ring, and wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world if I had one, many women with colored stone engagement rings get the occasional snarky comment or two for not having a diamond engagement ring (they get compliments too though!). For me, and obviously many others, this wouldn't be a deterrent...because I love the idea of a colored stone engagement ring. Make sure your fiance is prepared to stand out a little.

If she does want an aquamarine, then she is going to have to take care of her ring. An aquamarine is generally going cost less than a diamond, so, once you've found your dream aqua, you might put the rest of your budget into a custom setting. Michael E recently posted a picture of a bezel set halo ring with the center stone sitting low into the bezel, making it much harder to damage. The legacy is a fairly protective setting, but I would consider sapphires or spinels in your search as well.

ltplegacies.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
an aqua cannot only chip but it can fracture if it hit just right.....

if she like me removes her e-ring while at home and does not work in a job where she might hit it on something, maybe it would work. bezeling it would help but not be as attractive, imo.

aquamarine at the high end is quite a lovely stone......but for that price i''d like to wear it w/o worrying about it.

its my birthstone and i do not wear my nice emerald cut aqua any longer as i did chip it and it fractured internally a bit. sigh. admittedly, i had worn it for years w/o a problem but one night i was moving my hands as i talked and my ring hit the wall at just the wrong angle and with enough force to really damage the stone. no, it was not bezeled.

or if not the sentimental type and not adverse to replacing it periodically, it might also work for you/her.

mz

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with MZ. Unlike a great diamond or blue sapphire of the same size, it''s not so expensive to have a new stone cut for the setting. Or when that time comes, replace with a nice blue sapphire. If she likes it and understands this, I think it would work for her.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would say aquamarine would be okay if she is prepared to wear the ring like MZ and I wear our e-rings: when I walk in the door, the e-ring goes in its box and stays there till I go out again. I also have a ring box in my handbag and it goes in there if I am carrying heavy things or doing ANYTHING dangerous with my hands.

I knew that this was what I needed to do if I wanted a tsavorite as my engagement ring and was happy to do it, but a lot of girls won''t want to baby a stone that much.

So... either you go with an aqua and know you may end up having to replace it every now and then, or get something like an aqua-coloured sapphire (which will still need plenty of care and isn''t a 24/7 stone).

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
zzbaron-

Keeping in mind that this is the ring of HER dreams, I would do my best to get her whatever it was that she wanted. If you feel that your fiancee will be careful with an aquamarine center stone, then my all means, make her dreams come true
emlove.gif

If you feel that your 6-8k budget is better invested in a diamond center stone, I would not put it into a $300 LOGR mounting that is only trying to emulate what she was hoping for in the first place.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 6:42:43 PM
Author: sphenequeen
zzbaron-

Keeping in mind that this is the ring of HER dreams, I would do my best to get her whatever it was that she wanted. If you feel that your fiancee will be careful with an aquamarine center stone, then my all means, make her dreams come true
emlove.gif

If you feel that your 6-8k budget is better invested in a diamond center stone, I would not put it into a $300 LOGR mounting that is only trying to emulate what she was hoping for in the first place.

I don't see anything wrong with a mounting just because it is $300 or from LOGR if that's what it takes to afford a diamond centerstone.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had a look at Tiffany''s website, and found the Aquamarine Legacy ring. $7700 WOW!. So if the setting was $1300, that leaves $6400 for an Aquamarine a bit over 1.5 cts. I need to start selling stones to Tiffany''s!!!!!! Even with a 3key mark up, that''s over $1400 per ct. wholesale for the aqua.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2010 2:14:27 PM
Author: centrc

Are you dead set on tiffany co? If not, I see no reason why 6-8k wouldnt get you a 1.5ct+ diamond with an equally beautiful, if not fancier setting.

Just an FYI

Setting like the Legacy will cost minimum ~1300+ in white gold, 2000+. I would say ~1.25-1.3 CT well cut (~AGS 0) diamond OR ~1.25 CT decent cushion is the best you will find within your price range (if you include the setting). Whiteflash''s is 1350, and doesn''t look nearly as nice as the Legacy form Tiffany''s.

Check out TNSC, they also set stones. I had my stone set by them and they did an excellent job. They are also the only vendor I know that does the legacy style setting for round cut stones.
I completely 100% disagree with that comment, considering I''ve seen the Tiffany Legacies in person, and in print ads. I recently saw one in a print ad in Brides Magazine, and I was in utter complete shock and how uneven the millgrain was, and the bezel was uneven. Whiteflash makes a very fine product, and they don''t have the Tiffany name, so they don''t charge a 5,000% markup.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2010 2:55:29 PM
Author: IndyLady
Lord of the Gem Rings on Ebay makes a Legacy setting for about $300 link. With an F SI1 1.23 carat cushion from Good Old Gold, link to GOG you'll come in within budget. Here's a link to the search I did on GOG's cushions in your budget (the most expensive is around $7,000 to leave some for the setting) link to all GOG cushions.

Attached below is a shot of Lauren the Partier's LOGR Legacy rings. Tourmaline Lover has worn her LOGR Legacy setting to a Tiffany stone, and had it mistaken for one of Tiffany's by a sales associate; it also has the same carat weight as the original. You should ask your fiance if she really wants a colored stone engagement ring, or if she is choosing an aquamarine because of budgetary reasons. While I would love a colored stone engagement ring, and wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world if I had one, many women with colored stone engagement rings get the occasional snarky comment or two for not having a diamond engagement ring (they get compliments too though!). For me, and obviously many others, this wouldn't be a deterrent...because I love the idea of a colored stone engagement ring. Make sure your fiance is prepared to stand out a little.

If she does want an aquamarine, then she is going to have to take care of her ring. An aquamarine is generally going cost less than a diamond, so, once you've found your dream aqua, you might put the rest of your budget into a custom setting. Michael E recently posted a picture of a bezel set halo ring with the center stone sitting low into the bezel, making it much harder to damage. The legacy is a fairly protective setting, but I would consider sapphires or spinels in your search as well.
That actually wasn't me, but LaurenThePartier. However, when I saw them in person, I didn't think it was so much better than my LOGR, and it has the same size diamonds and it appeared the same diamond weight as well. While Tiffany does make some higher quality pieces, it seems the quality control is really lacking on the Legacies. They must be mass produced.

centrc

Rough_Rock
zzbaron

Here is an idea

If she is dead set on Tiffany''s, why not buy a solitaire from there NOW, and using their upgrade policy, upgrade it to a legacy later. You can get an SI1/I there without breaking the bank. My wife''s engagement ring is from Tiffany, and when I upgraded it (she wanted the legacy too) -- she eventually decided that it would be better to have a bigger stone than a smaller one with the legacy.

I would just give one word of advice. If she REALLY wants a ring from Tiffany, get it from Tiffany. Don''t try to fake it with something from a different store no matter how good the diamond is, how cheap the setting is, or what people say here.

There are two aspects of your diamond/engagement ring purchase, 1) what she knows it is, and 2) what others know it is. Yes, you can fake it with a non Tiffany ring, but no matter what other people think (bigger diamond, nicer setting, whatever), she will always know it isn''t the real deal. I would really leave it up to her. As for markup, it is about 45-50% (not 200% or 400%). My sister and wife have almost identical stone and settings and that is about what the difference came out to be.

What I ended up doing, since she liked the setting style so much, is I bought her a right hand ring with a sapphire set inside this xmas. You can see the pictures if you search pricescope. That way everyone wins :)

GL

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I love aquamarines, but they may not be durable enough for an engagement ring.

centrc

Rough_Rock
I completely 100% disagree with that comment, considering I've seen the Tiffany Legacies in person, and in print ads. I recently saw one in a print ad in Brides Magazine, and I was in utter complete shock and how uneven the millgrain was, and the bezel was uneven. Whiteflash makes a very fine product, and they don't have the Tiffany name, so they don't charge a 5,000% markup.

I have also seen many real Legacy's in person. I live in NYC and have stopped by many times. I looked at many of them a few months back while upgrading my wife's ring... and if the Whiteflash one looks anything like it does on the website, then I would have to disagree with you. Sorry.

And it isn't 5,000% markup. It is probably more like 50% for the legacy. You are paying extra for the stone because it has a patented cut.

As always though, I am sure that Tiffany's QA isn't 100%, there are always the bad ones that make it through.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 9:23:31 PM
zzbaron

I would just give one word of advice. If she REALLY wants a ring from Tiffany, get it from Tiffany. Don''t try to fake it with something from a different store no matter how good the diamond is, how cheap the setting is, or what people say here.

There are two aspects of your diamond/engagement ring purchase, 1) what she knows it is, and 2) what others know it is. Yes, you can fake it with a non Tiffany ring, but no matter what other people think (bigger diamond, nicer setting, whatever), she will always know it isn''t the real deal. I would really leave it up to her. As for markup, it is about 45-50% (not 200% or 400%). My sister and wife have almost identical stone and settings and that is about what the difference came out to be.

Well said!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2010 9:30:35 PM

I completely 100% disagree with that comment, considering I've seen the Tiffany Legacies in person, and in print ads. I recently saw one in a print ad in Brides Magazine, and I was in utter complete shock and how uneven the millgrain was, and the bezel was uneven. Whiteflash makes a very fine product, and they don't have the Tiffany name, so they don't charge a 5,000% markup.

I have also seen many real Legacy's in person. I live in NYC and have stopped by many times. I looked at many of them a few months back while upgrading my wife's ring... and if the Whiteflash one looks anything like it does on the website, then I would have to disagree with you. Sorry.

And it isn't 5,000% markup. It is probably more like 50% for the legacy. You are paying extra for the stone because it has a patented cut.
$7700 for a smallish greyish blue unsaturated aqua ring in platinum with around 45 points of diamonds is nuts, I'm sorry. Maybe on Fifth avenue, the markup isn't that great, but in the world of savvy Pricescope shoppers, the markup is tremendous, patented cut or no. BTW, speaking of patented cuts, many talented lapidaries here have cut aquas for far far less than the Legacy cut, and their cuts can be just as beautiful, if not more so. Maybe I was wrong when I said a 5000% markup, now that I do the math in my head, I think it's a 300% markup. Still a tremendous difference in price IMO. This is not a forum that cares as much about branded items as much as value for your hard earned dollar. Sure there are people that will always insist on a Tiffany but most of them here, rather get what they pay for.

centrc

Rough_Rock
What is the carat size that you want zzbaron, I don''t you ever let us know?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 9:34:48 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 1/16/2010 9:30:35 PM

$7700 for a smallish greyish blue unsaturated aqua ring in platinum with around 45 points of diamonds is nuts, I'm sorry. Maybe on Fifth avenue, the markup isn't that great, but in the world of savvy Pricescope shoppers, the markup is tremendous, patented cut or no. BTW, speaking of patented cuts, many talented lapidaries here have cut aquas for far far less than the Legacy cut, and their cuts can be just as beautiful, if not more so. Maybe I was wrong when I said a 5000% markup, now that I do the math in my head, I think it's a 300% markup. Still a tremendous difference in price IMO. This is not a forum that cares as much about branded items as much as value for your hard earned dollar. Sure there are people that will always insist on a Tiffany but most of them here, rather get what they pay for.

Agreed; if the markup meant a markup in quality as well, I would certainly consider Tiffany for colored stones. It seems to me that its simply not possible to mass-produce fine quality gemstone rings. Fine gems come one at a time, and maybe sometimes in pairs. Chrono's Mahenge, MZ's spess, Pandora's tsav, LostSapphire's Blueberry...they're one of a kind. I would consider it near impossible to find another one just the same, and Tiffany would probably find it just as hard. So, Tiffany, and other mass retailers, have to water down their gemstones some so that the quality and look will be consistent. You're speaking to individuals are gemstone lovers, experts, connoisseurs, whatever you want to call us. So, its something we're particular about.

That being said, if she wants a Tiffany, then get her a Tiffany! Its her ring, and if she loves it, then its wonderful and will make happy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2010 10:10:26 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=23298481&mcat=148210&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+15-c+287466-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Holy crudola. I have a tanzanite that size and color I paid 60$ for. I should get a LOGR legacy and tell it on the streets of NY for 1/2 that price as a knock off LOL.
Tiffany also sells treated stones and doesn't disclose treatment on an individual stone (they just claim to have treated stones). I rather know what I'm buying, and if applicable, be allowed to get a reputable lab cert to back it up.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m a guy, so none of this makes any sense to me, but I would think a similar looking ring, and then use the savings toward a down payment on a house would be much more logical, than paying over $6000 for for a $100 stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2010 12:28:15 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
I'm a guy, so none of this makes any sense to me, but I would think a similar looking ring, and then use the savings toward a down payment on a house would be much more logical, than paying over $6000 for for a $100 stone.
I'm not a guy but agree with you 100%! Although I'd rather keep the budget and buy a better quality gemstone - the house can come later
9.gif
2.gif
9.gif

zzbaron - nobody on this forum is "against" Tiffany's per se, it's just that we can do the math. We know that our lapidarists (PrecisionGem above being one of them) can source us a better quality Aqua, with any treatments disclosed, cut it to a specification - so we have a unique gemstone - and then we can either go the budget route of using LOGR to set in a Legacy type setting OR go to Whiteflash or one of the other PS Vendors who have similar designs AND then have spare change. So that's the logic. We don't like paying for a "name" and getting something of usually lesser quality than we could elsewhere. However, if your FI wants a Tiffany and only a Tiffany will do, then you should go down that route but at least you've asked the question and now have gemstone collectors and lapidarist's opinions.

You've also mentioned that your FI would perhaps like a diamond? Not only is that a better idea for an e-ring (and you won't have to maybe change it at a later date unless you want to), you would be able to get it within your budget in a Legacyesque setting (as per the link I posted above). I think maybe having a conversation with your FI and giving her the option is what's needed here. Does she absolutely have to have a Tiffany? If so, then it's an Aqua knowing that you may have to replace it later. Is it a diamond or an aqua? If it's a diamond then Tiffany's are ruled out. Perhaps show her this thread and the photos (especially of the Whiteflash setting) so she can see for herself.

Edit: Just found this thread in the diamond section that talks about replica Tiffany rings (although not the Legacy) but gives you different vendors to try. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-setting-engagement-ring.134055/

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a guy, so none of this makes any sense to me, but I would think a similar looking ring, and then use the savings toward a down payment on a house would be much more logical, than paying over $6000 for for a $100 stone.
sigh.....its not about making sense or being logical: its her romantic idea of what constituites a fabulous e-ring. this ring symbolizes something for her with her fiance that she wants represented in a particular way. we all want that. that she wants a tiffany is her choice. perhaps she is blinded by marketing/advertising as to what constitutes the ideal wedding ring.....many are and must have a diamond as an e-ring. but it doesn''t matter. all that matters is what she wants. it really should be her choice or she will always be unhappy with that e-ring....perhaps even resentful....and certainly looking to upgrade rather soon.

mz

ps gene, i think like you. i''m way too practical. i never did dream of an e-ring or a wedding like one of my friends in high school. i''m still amazed though that i wanted an e-ring in this marriage and the amount of $ spent on it. but, hey, i''m human too and wanted what i wanted!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a guy, so none of this makes any sense to me, but I would think a similar looking ring, and then use the savings toward a down payment on a house would be much more logical, than paying over $6000 for for a $100 stone.
Sorry Gene, but Audrey Hepburn is dead, and you didn't make movie with her. Otherwise, you might be able to make a wonderful profit.

It's interesting to note that Tiffany, although it has the starlight in it's name, and has been around for a long time, couldn't manage to keep it's pearl store, Irridessce, afloat. They closed them down last year, and I actually thought their pieces were very nice and reasonably priced.

I think stores like Graff, Harry Winston, and Bulgari, have the workmanship and materials to back up their great names and high prices. Unfortunately, I have not seen the jaw dropping gems and jewelry that Tiffany should be selling to back up their prestige. For example, some Paloma Picasso designs look like bubblegum machine rings. Unbelievable.

If she wants a Tiffany, then get her a Tiffany, but if she's practical at all, please show her the light.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results