shape
carat
color
clarity

Plus size wedding dresses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh those are so pretty!

I don''t have a problem with David''s, I know a lot of people who found the dress of their dreams there. What I meant to say is the styles that are normally reccommended to curvy women are not my style but what is my style might not necessarily be flattering. Obviously I want to look fabulous so I''m going to go with a flattering style regardless but that might not be my dream dress
emsad.gif

Here''s the type of dress I''m thinking of.

0bwxgjea.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
And another

2akpd1l1.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 4:19:35 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
And another
HH -- I like that one! Both are really pretty though.

tanyak

Shiny_Rock
That second lace dress is gorgeous! David''s has something verrrry similar to it and I think it''s now available in larger sizes. I so would have tried that on when I was shopping.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Hudson, I looove the look of those dresses that you picked out but I guess I want to give you a little caveat- my husband really wanted me in a white strapless dress (luckily, that is what I loved too) but I looked at dresses like those above and my husband hated the colored sash, not thinking that it looked bridal
20.gif

I guess for some girls it isn''t important what their FI thinks but for me it really was - thats all!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hudson, it IS true that bridal gowns are two sizes UP from your street clothes size. And you know what? I think that blows. Because a bride to be shouldn't have to go TWO sizes UP no matter what her street clothes size is! It's crazy and makes absolutely no sense at all!

Having said that, my dream gowns are your dream gowns...Either Lhullier or Hjelm, alas, I cannot justify nor spend 5-10k on an elopement dress! I found a "poor mans" Lhullier gown at Demetrios but its nearly 3k, so thats out. But if you're in that budget check it out...lovely and very spanishy.

As for the OP and the issue of plus sizes, I too went to both David's and Alfred Angelo and was surprised and the huge selection they had in true plus sizes. Go, you wont be sorry. And you'll find something lovely too AND you wont blow the bank at either place!

Oh shoot! HH, THANK YOU for posting that last photo...I just checked out that site and found that and another dress that are divine and so affordable...thanks so much for sharing that information!

Has anyone ordered a dress from Bridaldress4U before and if so, what was your experience?

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya.

Have you thought about finding a really good dressmaker and having a dress designed for you?

I''m a plus size and when we were planning our wedding everything was perfect except for the stress I felt with my dress. After several patronising chats with sales staff in bridal shops I vowed never to go back and decided to design my own gown, which I am so happy I did. Like you I didn''t want a traditional wedding dress and wanted something that was ''me''. I had an idea of what I wanted and designed the dress myself and took it to a dressmaker who was amazing. She actually made the dress for a third of what it would have cost me to buy a ''cheap'' dress in the bridal shops. I picked out my own material and colours, it was made to fit me perfectly and I felt amazing. It was the best thing I ever did and made me feel like a princess and I had a dress that no-one will ever have which meant the world to me. The dressmaker also designed a veil from the material in my dress too. My dress was white velvet, with georgette and satin with a georgette veil.

Here''s a couple of pics.......

PoWed.1.JPG

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
a pic with my veil.

PoWed.2.jpg

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
and last one, a blurry pic my cousin took (she was running late) before I walked down the aisle, I like this photo cos I look happy, excited and nervous.

My recommendation to you, is find a good dressmaker and have your dress made for you.

Po.Wed.3.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Po!

Thank you for sharing your pictures! Your dress is beautiful and I''m glad you were able to find a dress maker who made your dream dress. I''ll definitely consider going that route.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 3:49:38 AM
Author: surfgirl
Having said that, my dream gowns are your dream gowns...Either Lhullier or Hjelm, alas, I cannot justify nor spend 5-10k on an elopement dress! I found a 'poor mans' Lhullier gown at Demetrios but its nearly 3k, so thats out. But if you're in that budget check it out...lovely and very spanishy.

I dunno if you've looked at them, but Jim Hjelm dresses really aren't in the same price range as L'Huillier, etc. In bridal salons, I'd say they run $2k-high $2k...and at Pearl's Place the prices I've been quoted are $1.5k-2.2k. Don't get me wrong, it's still a LOT of money for a dress! But I can more easily justify an extra $500 or so over a Maggie or whatever than I can an extra $4k
1.gif

Pol - that's a really cool dress! You look great!

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Hey -- I just wanted to chime in and say again Don''t Worry About The Size Of The Dress!!! I normally wear about a 10 street clothes and I tried on samples from different designers ranging from 6 - 18 which all fit about the same. When I finally went to David''s I found they had the "closest to my street size" dresses and wound up with a size 12.

Some people don''t like David''s, and I have to admit I was a bit snobbish about it before I went there too but I found all the sales staff to be extremely helpful, their selection is very varied - they have almost any style you could want - and I think the most important thing is you can try on any size you need whereas most salons have samples only in certain sizes. I spent around $1K+ on my first dress that wasn''t the right size when I tried it on, ordered it, and absolutely hated it --

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results