shape
carat
color
clarity

Zyrtec, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
An illness (subclinical hypothyroid) has caused me to break out in the worst hives. I suffered with it and took Benadryl, but it only worked so-so. At a PS GTG, Gypsy recommended I try Zyrtec. I took it for the first time today and glory be - I have zero hives right now. Great suggestion Gypsy - thank you!! This is like a miracle for me as I have had the hives for the past month and a half and it got to where I couldn''t even wear my rings as my fingers were all swollen.

Anyhow, my question is on Zyrtec: has anyone used it? Any problems or side effects? I read some sort of scary stuff on the net, but would love to hear from any PSers with experience. Anyone use this product?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad it is helping. Your hives sound miserable! I''ve used Zyrtec and it worked wonders. I get hives and eczema every winter. Sometimes it makes me groggy in the morning so after the initial flare up clears, I cut the tablets in half. It works well, just not as well as a full tab.

My sister takes it frequently for nasal allergies. Her only side effect is slight weight gain (2 - 3 lbs.).

Good luck!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Beacon. I started breaking out in hives last Aug. and we can''t seem to find the reason. I''ve gone to 3 different doctors and had numerous allergy tests done and they can''t find a reason. I did sort of an elimination diet and I think I''ve discovered it has something to do with dyes in food, so I''ve been better since leaving that off although I still do get a few hives now and then. I am taking Zyrtec D in the mornings and it is really working great. I was nervous about taking it now that I am pregnant, but the doctor said it is perfectly safe. Anyway, I know how miserable it is, so I''m glad the Zyrtec is helping!

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Zirtec is a really commonly used anithistamine in the UK. It is considered so safe that you don''t need a prescription for it, you can buy it over the counter (in fact, I don''t even think it has to be sold by a registered pharmacist, you can buy it anywhere). It is a much better antihistamine than older sedating drugs like Piriton.

I used to take it, however it wasn''t strong enough for me. I take something called fexofenidine which is stronger and prescription only.

We have cats at home and we always keep a strip of zirtec in, just in case people with allergies visit. Everybody who takes them find them good and they work within half an hour.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I don''t have any info. on Zyrtec, but I wanted to add that when I found out I had hyperthyroidism, I was put on a medicine to get it under control until I could have surgery to remove my thyroid (severe case). The medicine made me break out in the WORST hives, and they continued the entire length that I was on the medicine. It really made me miserable.

If the medicine that gives you hives is something you are going to be using long-term, I would definitely suggest talking to your dr. to see if there are alternatives. It''s great that the Zyrtec is working, but I just know I wouldn''t want to have to take one medicine to counteract the side affects of another medicine for a prolonged period of time.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have been suffereing with hives for app. 6 months--for no apparent reason....maybe stress? Anyway, my Doc gave me an antihistamine (Reactine) and some Ranitidine. I find that any anithistamine makes me tired, but my GF who had allergies is very tolerant of these types of meds and has few side effects, as she takes them long term. I might try zyrtec.

cheers--Sharon

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 11:26:36 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I have been suffereing with hives for app. 6 months--for no apparent reason....maybe stress? Anyway, my Doc gave me an antihistamine (Reactine) and some Ranitidine. I find that any anithistamine makes me tired, but my GF who had allergies is very tolerant of these types of meds and has few side effects, as she takes them long term. I might try zyrtec.

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, Zyrtec is known as Reactine in Canada, and is OTC. So you have already tried it apparently.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had a really good experience with Zyrtec - it really helps keep my allergies under control.

I''m so glad its working for you Beacon - I remember how uncomfortable you were at the GTG, and I''m so happy you found relief!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband takes it daily, and my son has used it for hives as well. It works great for both of them! We get the OTC generic.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently developed hives when stressed or after a very bad cold. My doctor recommended zyrtec and it''s worked extremely well everytime. I haven''t experienced any side effect or problems while taking the medication. However, I take mine occasionally only because my hives come and go.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 2:15:38 PM
Author: lyra

Date: 5/31/2009 11:26:36 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, Zyrtec is known as Reactine in Canada, and is OTC. So you have already tried it apparently.
HI Lyra:

Thanks for the info!!
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never used zyrtec for hives. I''m allergic to benadryl (it gives me terrible hives) so I take prescription meds when I have serious itching issues. Taking zyrtec/claritin/etc never crossed my mind. I guess I think of skin reactions as different than head reactions??? Anyway, I love zyrtec. I took claritin for years for my seasonal allergies and I started having to up my dose. It got to the point where I was taking 30mg/day which is 3 times the average dose. I made the switch to Zyrtec and haven''t looked back! And no, it doesn''t make me sleepy at all.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
AG, you also gave me the confidence to take the Zyrtec. I figured if anyone as smart as you was taking it, it would be ok. I was leery of it since I seemed to be having trouble with so many different things - I was afraid to try something new.

I am glad to hear the experiences of other PSers with Zyrtec. Today I could wear my ring for the first time in 3 days. I was so happy! My hives were really affecting my lifestyle, not to mention my wardrobe choices. I really hope I can get to the underlying cause of the hives and fix it.

I have the type of thyroid problem where the body develops antibodies to the thyroid (Hasimotos). But my system is compensating, so right now there are no symptoms. I would never have known I had this issue except for these hives prompted me to get a bunch of blood work done. I read the antibodies could be causing my hives.

So far the Zyrtec is doing a great job.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some strange reason, Claritin didn''t do a thing for my hives.
33.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when my wife had hives for 3 months her Dr. told her to take some Zyrtec.the Zyrtec didn''t really help much,then she took some Viatmin C for 3 weeks which finally cleared her hives.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
It''s so funny how one med works for some and not others. Zyrtec doesn''t work at all for me. Allegra, on the other hand, does wonders. Allegra isn''t safe during pregnancy/nursing according to my doc so I had to take Zyrtec and I was miserable.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have taken Zyrtec in the past for seasonal allergies, and it worked really well. Unfortunately, I am constantly hungry on it, and eat like a trucker. It took me three springs to figure out why I kept gaining weight at that time of year, and then of course, all summer to lose that weight. I also had eczema each spring, about a month after going on the Zyrtec. Took me about two years to make that connection. As some one else said, it''s weird how we all have different reactions to drugs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH! I'm an idiot. You asked me this. And it was like 4am when I got the note and then in the morning, my swiss cheese memory didn't remember. I'm so sorry. I am allergic to a lot. And I also have bad reactions to just about anything you can have a reaction to. And zyrtec doesn't effect me badly at all. And it doesnt' interact with other meds I have to take, so it's been a blessing for me.

Claritin doesn't do a thing for me with hives either Chrono. Only benadryl (but I have to take so much I am not functional) and Zyrtec really work for hives for me.

I'm so very happy that the Zyrtec is working for you Beacon. I hope it continues to do so. ((HUGS)) and I'll be better via email, I promise. I'm sorry again for not responding Beacon.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I take fexofenidine (allegra). I''m on 180mg. It works well most of the time but I do have a few days a month when it doesn''t stop me sneezing. I didn''t realize it wasn''t safe in pregnancy (not that we''ve started trying yet). It''s the only med that works for me

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I swear by Allegra. Although its a bit more expensive (depending on your drug coverage) and you still need a prescription for it, but the stuff works wonders for me. No side effects.

xapora

Shiny_Rock
I''ve also had hives for about 6 months now. They would come every single night, painfully swelling my lips, some nights my eyes were swollen shut. I hadn''t worn my rings for months. I couldn''t figure out what I was allergic to (even stayed at my mom''s for a week and they got a little worse) so I went to an allergist last week. He said I was exposed to a virus and my body thinks the virus is attacking it when it''s actually not, and my body is releasing histamine in defense. He put me on a regimen of Claritin in the morning, Zantac 2x a day (he said it actually has an antihistamine in it that fights a different type of histamine than Claritin, Benadryl, etc.), and Zyrtec at night. It makes me really sleepy but for the most part I really think it''s the Zyrtec that is mainly keeping the hives away. Benadryl and Claritin alone worked for a while but became ineffective after taking it for a few months. Good luck, I hope the Zyrtec keeps working for you!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
For OTC second generation anti-histamines, I perfer zertec, and that is the medicine I have my BF get, since he wants something OTC. Studies have shown it has better receptor binding than claritin. I personally take allegra for my seasonal allergies, it works just as well, and I find it makes me less drowsy. However, I only use anti-histamines for a really bad day. I use a nasal steroid for prevention and mild symptoms. I like the fact it is non-systemic, and studies have shown that is the most effective first line treatment.

However, zertec, has better anti-itch properties than allegra and that would be my first choice for hives.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 2:29:32 AM
Author: KaeKae
I have taken Zyrtec in the past for seasonal allergies, and it worked really well. Unfortunately, I am constantly hungry on it, and eat like a trucker. It took me three springs to figure out why I kept gaining weight at that time of year, and then of course, all summer to lose that weight. I also had eczema each spring, about a month after going on the Zyrtec. Took me about two years to make that connection. As some one else said, it''s weird how we all have different reactions to drugs.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Please tell me you''re joking! This makes perfect sense (the eating part...)

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh...I was in the hospital for 9 days with really bad (and I mean bad) hives. It would start small and than spread, angry red..not small, but huge patches. I was on 50mg of Benadryl/IV every 4 hours along with ativan. I would even get the hives on the palm of my hands and bottom of my foot! No idea what caused the hives but I think it''s from a previous hospitalization for diverticulitis, which I was on maga doses of different antibiotics.

Eventually one of the consultanting physician put me on zyrtec and within a few days, my hives were under control.

Currently I do take zyrtec, especially during allergy season, but I cut it in half because it makes me a bit sleepy.

SeaStar

Rough_Rock
I''m glad you''re getting relief! I took Zyrtec when I had a gap in my insurance and couldn''t afford to pay OOP for Allegra. I didn''t find it to be effective at all but I didn''t experience any side effects either. I have very severe seasonal allergies though and I''m on the max dose of Allegra.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 7:18:42 PM
Author: mochi
Oh...I was in the hospital for 9 days with really bad (and I mean bad) hives. It would start small and than spread, angry red..not small, but huge patches. I was on 50mg of Benadryl/IV every 4 hours along with ativan. I would even get the hives on the palm of my hands and bottom of my foot! No idea what caused the hives but I think it''s from a previous hospitalization for diverticulitis, which I was on maga doses of different antibiotics.

Eventually one of the consultanting physician put me on zyrtec and within a few days, my hives were under control.

Currently I do take zyrtec, especially during allergy season, but I cut it in half because it makes me a bit sleepy.
Wow Mochi, that sounds terrible!! Sorry you were hospitalized. My hives sound similar to yous in that they were severe, (including palms and soles of feet), Benedryl, which I took every 4 hours did not do enough. I am glad that zyrtec worked for you. My experience was like yours - as soon as I started it, I got it much under control.

Do you still get any hives? BTW, have you checked your thyroid levels? My doctor did mine only cause I demanded it and sure enough, I have the antibodies against thyroid which is triggering the hives. I also learned from my research that some thyroid conditions, like mine, can cause digestive symptoms and make allergies much worse.

Hope you are feeling much better!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results