shape
carat
color
clarity

Zoodles... and zucchini lasagna... please help a non-cook out!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So for reasons I can't really explain, I am making zucchini lasagna tomorrow (i.e., replacing the pasta with thin zucchini slices).

Questions!

- Does it matter if I slice the zucchini longways? I have a mandolin and I'm not sure if I'm going to end up doing it that way or just making lots of rounds.

- What about the seeds? I see mention of not using the seeds, but that may be more for zoodles that are spiraled to make it like spaghetti... ?

- I assume I don't cook these things before I put the dish together, but that they will cook up in the process of having the pan o' stuff in the oven for an hour. Right???

- And there are people who say to make the "noodles" and then "salt them" to get excess water out. But I can't find a detailed description of what that really means. I'm learning that people who write recipes make a lot of assumptions about the knowledge base of people who are going to use the recipes...

Any help, advice, etc., here will be much appreciated!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Juicy veggies are lovely--but they can make for a watery dish and no one likes soggy food. Salt the veggies....(as you would making tzatziki or bruschetta)..I use a linen cloth to try the cukes for tzatziki post salting....but I expect that is extreme.

https://www.popsugar.com/food/Salt-Watery-Vegetables-Before-Cooking-11379955

I wouldn't precook the zucchini--given it is sliced thinly and will cook pronto.
Have wine handy!

cheers--Sharon

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do a combination zucchini eggplant lasagne. I cut the zucchini and eggplant lengthwise, approx 1/4 inch thick. I mix salt and pepper with olive oil, lightly brush both sides, and bake at 375, turning every 6 or 7 minutes until the vegetables just start to brown.

When I put the lasagne together I alternate layers, and bake for about 30 minutes. This process avoids excess water.

I think using a mandolin and salting is fine, but you'll have very thin noodles without much body. You'll need a lot of them and there will be a ton of liquid. I use that method when I substitute zucchini noodles for fettuccine noodles. I find that the texture is better if you don't use the seeded section, but I hate waste....

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't made zucchini lasagna but it sounds yummy- I will have to give it a try.

When I make eggplant parmigiana, I lay out several clean dish towels and place the slices on them and then salt generously, let sit for 1/2, pat off moisture, turn over and repeat. I would just leave the seeds

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 handles her/his? eggplant like I do, I would probably do the zucchini the same way.. BUT I might fry my zucchini like in fried eggplant parmigiana as I wouldn't how well the zucchini can hold up to sauce and cheese.. not sure.. let us know!!! I would not mandolin the zucchini, too thin... good luck girl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results