shape
carat
color
clarity

zip a file on a mac?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone know how to compress a folder into a zip file on a mac?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hold down the CTRL button and click (or right click, if you have a mouse and not just a trackpad) on the folder you want to compress, then select "Create archive of ______".

That should do it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! How much does it usually compress to?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
it needs to be zipped? or can it be stuffed?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 6:37:19 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Thanks! How much does it usually compress to?
It depends entirely on the original file size and what types of files you're compressing... so I have no idea, sorry
33.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 8:28:59 PM
Author: jcrow
it needs to be zipped? or can it be stuffed?

Arg...I don''t know. Compressed. I bought the Stuff-It software and could never figure it out. I called once and the company and the guy told me if there were photos it couldn''t compress them
20.gif
You KNOW almost everything has photos! I usually just burn a CD but I was trying something new.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
If you want to compress a whole folder of files I know of a way using the terminal. Say the thing you want is a folder called forHarry in a folder called myStuff in your Documents folder.
1)Open terminal
2)Go to the folder just above the folder you want to compress: Type ls (enter) to see where you are. You should be in your user folder (the thing that''s icon is the little house). Type cd Documents/myStuff (enter) [If you''re not sure where it is do cd Documents (enter) ls (enter) cd ''nextfolder'' (enter)... etc]
4) Then type ''tar cvfz forHarry.tar.gz forHarry/'' And poof you''re done. You''ve told it to create a zipped tar file named forHarry.tar.gz from the folder forHarry/ The slash (/) tells it that the thing is a folder and you want to zip everything inside of it. You can do the same thing for a file just don''t use the slash after the name.

Now you can just drag and drop or attach it to an email, and the person you sent it to simply double clicks and poof! the whole folder and it''s contents unfold.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ok- open the folder with the stuffit programs. and find the one called drop stuff. double click it. then grab the file - folder containing files that you want to stuff and drag them into the dropstuff window.

also, if you place the dropstuff icon on your desktop, you can drag and drop the file/folder onto the icon without opening the program and it''ll stuff and put the file on the desktop with it''s done.

zip works the same.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results