color
clarity

Ziggy Louise has her eye on you

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Is Ziggy guilty of this too?

jhg.png

Hi Kenny and Bibi!

Good grief, is she ever! Poor girl is broody again. Laying more eggs. I try to stress her a little (move her cage, more exercise, go for car rides) to distract her from laying but Zeelo is a machine at times.

How is Bibi for getting into things? They're just curious, exploring and doing what birdies do, so it's up to me to supervise at all times.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, one of us has to supervise Bibi unless he's in his room, which is our breakfast nook.
It's birdproof.
He can't fly and is almost never locked in his cage.

He often walks around the house looking for one of us since he hates to be alone.
Sometimes he gets into this weird mood where he wants to find a dark out of the way place where he goes whacko.
He'll make the strangest noises and chew up anything he can find, a box, a shoe, whatever.
I suspect it's nesting behavior.
Again, I'm not sure of Bibi's gender.

It's kinda like having a 2 year old human running wild in the house.
It's best to always be aware of where he is and what he's up to.

Fortunately he usually just wants to cuddle on a shoulder or on a belly and ask for head scritches.

Do you have to give Ziggy extra calcium and vitamins when she's laying eggs?
Does she lay one a day, every day till she's produced 6 or so?
That must be a huge energy drain for a bird.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, one of us has to supervise Bibi unless he's in his room, which is our breakfast nook.
It's birdproof.
He can't fly and is almost never locked in his cage.

He often walks around the house looking for one of us since he hates to be alone.
Sometimes he gets into this weird mood where he wants to find a dark out of the way place where he goes whacko.
He'll make the strangest noises and chew up anything he can find, a box, a shoe, whatever.
I suspect it's nesting behavior.
Again, I'm not sure of Bibi's gender.

It's kinda like having a 2 year old human running wild in the house.
It's best to always be aware of where he is and what he's up to.

Fortunately he usually just wants to cuddle on a shoulder or on a belly and ask for head scritches.

Do you have to give Ziggy extra calcium and vitamins when she's laying eggs?
Does she lay one a day, every day till she's produced 6 or so?
That must be a huge energy drain for a bird.

Yes, she has extra everything for sure and is a healthy little eater with a varied diet. She loves her food. Tonight was a curry with chickpeas, rice and Naan (I take hers out before the spices, but don't tell her).

Right?? I've had a long discussion with her about this and being 12 years old, should be done with 'motherhood'. Life is too cozy I'm told, as in safe, warm, plenty of food. I take her shopping to the garden centres and nurseries when she gets like this. Sometimes it helps?

Your Bibi is a snuggle bug. The bestest kind of birdy!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I take her shopping to the garden centres and nurseries when she gets like this. Sometimes it helps?

I'm surprised to hear you take her outside because both primary and secondary wing feathers were untrimmed in a pic you posted.
That's why I thought she could fly.

21.png

Maybe you have since trimmed them, or use a harness and leash, or a birdie carrier, or something else? :confused:
But then I read about some people who have trained their flighted bird to "free fly" outside and return to them.

752.png

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised to hear you take her outside because both primary and secondary wing feathers were untrimmed in a pic you posted.
That's why I thought she could fly.

21.png

Maybe you have since trimmed them, or use a harness and leash, or a birdie carrier, or something else? :confused:
But then I read about some people who have trained their flighted bird to "free fly" outside and return to them.

752.png

Oh heck no. We take her outside in her cage, well strapped with extra ties. The sunshine is good for her and we smack her down close to us as we garden or have tea etc. She listens to her cousins and enjoys the breeze. In summer I mist her with the hose. We are all on high alert for open doors and she is put in her cage when we open our doors. We keep a verrrrry close eye on her. I used to get her wings clipped but the new ones growing in would break off, and she almost bled to death once. She was very weak. Vet said grow them in, and we have a strict door protocol. Knock on wood, no close encounters. We love her, as you love your Bibi. Sounds like a wonderful companion to you both!!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's so cute! What kind of bird is she? Does she eat vegetarian?⁹

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results