shape
carat
color
clarity

Zales Octillion Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nai

Rough_Rock
Hi... I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion about the Zales Octillion diamond. I have read that it is over priced but what if the price is discounted by 15% would it then be worth it? Or would I be better off
purchasing a round cut diamond? Any input would help...
Mahalo!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Nai,----------------
I have read that it is over priced but what if the price is discounted by 15% would it then be worth it?
----------------
If you could post the grading data along witht the price, we'd compare the prices to other diamonds like Flanders for example.

Nai

Rough_Rock
Hello again. The data of the octillion diamond for Zales are as follows:
1.25 ct, color G, SI1, platinum setting for around $7,000.
It retails for $9,999. Please let me know if this is a
good deal or would I be better off purchasing a round solitare
with a G color and VS2 quality.
Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

gabriellejohnson

Rough_Rock
The Octillion Diamond is a very nice diamond. It has much more brilliance than others. I would go to the store, and have them find out in their region of stores, who has the best diamond in the size that you want. There may be one at another store that has a better color and clarity that sells for the same price. They can have it over nighted to the store and you are under no obligation to purchase it when it comes in. They can shave a little off of the price with the store manager's approval and they will give you the extended warrenty for free on any octillion purchase. I currently work for a Zales and I hope this has given you some useful information
wink2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Be careful of IGI New York grades: they're quite aggressive...
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Compare a round brilliant (as close to excellently/ideal cut as possible)to this Octillion stone in person. See what your eyes say. Differently cut stones usually look 'different' to the viewer than a typical well-cut round brilliant. You may appreciate the different look, others think it looks strange. Same with something like a Leo diamond which has extra facets. I have heard comments along the lines that it doesn't look real, it has a weird bubble at the point, etc.

Use your eyes as a comparison. The online price for a well-cut RB 1.25 G VS2 would most likely be around $7000-8000 so the price they are quoting you is good along with a plat setting. But again, only you can make the final decision on a stone such as this.

Lastly, why would they discount this stone $3000 off retail for you? A little sketchy and typical of a maul jeweler's selling tactic to tempt you into a 'good deal'. Just be wary..and get a return policy. If you don't like the stone, you can just return it..but be sure you get that return policy and are not obligated to re-purchase from them if the stone does not float your boat once you get it home.

Oh and view the stone OUT of their typical jewelry lights. Someone who recently bought a Leo posted on here that once they got it home, they didn't like it anymore. You don't spend your life viewing your stone in the jewelry lighting, get it out into natural light and see how it performs there.

Good luck!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I had the Zales diamond briefly. Total crap in my opinion. But that is just my opinion. Didn't sparkle much at all out of the fancy store lights and the IGI grading was WAY off. Supposed to be an I VS2. There was a big ol black dot smack in the center of the stone visible with only my eyes and the stone was entirely yellow, more like K than I. We returned it a week after getting it.
I'd go for a super ideal round. Much more sparkly and if you get it online with an x prong type setting, your looking at a pretty close match to the "look" of the ring. And probably for a lot cheaper too.
But that is just my opinion, if you want it get it and definately try to locate the best one available for that price range. But beware, when we tried to have them do that, they flat out refused. Another reason why we returned it, crappy service. Good Luck!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/22/2003 12:12:16 PM gabriellejohnson wrote:

The Octillion Diamond is a very nice diamond. It has much more brilliance than others. I would go to the store, and have them find out in their region of stores, who has the best diamond in the size that you want. There may be one at another store that has a better color and clarity that sells for the same price. They can have it over nighted to the store and you are under no obligation to purchase it when it comes in. They can shave a little off of the price with the store manager's approval and they will give you the extended warrenty for free on any octillion purchase. I currently work for a Zales and I hope this has given you some useful information

wink2.gif

----------------
bwahaha... When I read the opening sentences I thought to my self ... this person must work for Zales! hehe

Welcome to the boards! I've only seen limited Octillion diamonds, perhaps less than 10. The ones I saw that I was able to get the measurements on had depths greater than 70-75%. Gabrielle... have you ever taken an IdealScope to an Octillion yet? Just curious.

Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/22/2003 6:55:52 PM Jax172 wrote:
I had the Zales diamond briefly. Total crap in my opinion. But that is just my opinion. Didn't sparkle much at all out of the fancy store lights and the IGI grading was WAY off. Supposed to be an I VS2. There was a big ol black dot smack in the center of the stone visible with only my eyes and the stone was entirely yellow, more like K than I. We returned it a week after getting it.
I'd go for a super ideal round. Much more sparkly and if you get it online with an x prong type setting, your looking at a pretty close match to the "look" of the ring. And probably for a lot cheaper too.
But that is just my opinion, if you want it get it and definately try to locate the best one available for that price range. But beware, when we tried to have them do that, they flat out refused. Another reason why we returned it, crappy service. Good Luck!----------------
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results