carat
color
clarity

Yummy places to eat in Vegas

• Thread starter Deactivated member 42515
  • Start date
D

Deactivated member 42515

DH just told me he's taking me on an impromptu trip to Vegas so that I can see the Phantom of the Opera!

I absolutely LOVE the Phantom of the Opera and I have watched everything possible on tv, even going to the movie theater for one day shows. But I have yet to see the actual opera in real life. I always told DH that one thing I HAVE to do before I die is watch it. But I didn't think it was gonna be so soon!

This is probably the sweetest thing he has ever done for me!

So, we will be flying in on Saturday and leaving Sunday. We aren't really Vegas people so we don't really know any good places to eat. We are hoping to go to a nice restaurant with good food. I guess $50 dollars a dish would be ok...like the max we wanna spend.

Any suggestions?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Yummy places to eat in Vegas

Unfortunately $50 a plate isn't even close to be considered a "nice" restaurant in Vegas lol, BUT, I really enjoyed Olives at Bellagio. It will average $50 (steak is more, fish is less) and you can ask to sit outside on the balcony near the Bellagio fountains. You'll definitely want to make reservations!

hoover

Shiny_Rock

Ooooh, good rec sonnyjane :appl:

Olives is one of my fave restaurants in Vegas! It's really romantic to eat dinner on the patio after dark and a fantastic place to catch the water fountain show. :love:

What kind of foods do you like?
It's sad, but I often make a list of restos that I want to eat at and have to eat at :cheeky: but we usually rent a car...

D

Deactivated member 42515

I just realized I will just happen to be in Vegas for the GTG... This makes it even harder! So close.... but I can't go!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks for that recommendation. I checked it out and it looks good :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

What an awesome trip! I'm so excited for you!

Olives is yummy, I've eaten there. But the first thing I thought of when I saw your thread title is Otto Enoteca in the Venetian. It's a Mario Batali/Joe Bastianich restaurant, and I had THE BEST carbonara pasta of my life there. The best. I might dream about it every now and then. It isn't a super fancy restaurant, and I think you'll spend less than $50 per person, but oh LAWD did I love it. I also had a great after-dinner cheese plate, which is basically the quickest way to my heart.

I can't even tell you what my DH ate, I was so enamored with my carbonara. I do remember everyone loved the food, though. We were there in January, I wonder if they change the menu seasonally. If not, and if you like carbonara, oh my goodness you must get it. But it's a *real* carbonara, so if you're not into runny eggs don't get it. :cheeky:

We also had this awesome foodie waiter who talked to us forever about the dishes and how they're prepared, etc. (He also refused my FIL's request to add red onions to his octopus salad, which he also ordered sans-octopus. The waiter said he wasn't going to risk being beaten by the chefs, but he'd happily bring out a side dish with some sliced red onion. It was great.)

http://www.venetian.com/las-vegas-restaurants/casual-dining/enoteca-otto-pizzeria/

Oh, man. There is nothing I miss more as a barely pregnant woman than pasta carbonara and poached eggs.

ETA: The Yelp reviews are pretty mixed on this restaurant, so . . . maybe I'm crazy. I loved this place. Loved it loved it loved it.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

My favorite is FIX at the Bellagio. Get a bunch of finger foods - Kobe sliders, fried mac n cheese, etc. Don't forget the homemade doughnuts.

Also, an old friend of mine is playing Christine in Phantom in Vegas, and has been for the last few years now (Kristi Holden). We did a show together back in 2000. She's wonderful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Alize or Andres. Incredible French food. One is new french the other is classic both are excellent.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

DH and I really like Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill, in Caesars.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

What kind of food do you like? And where are you staying?

As a huge fan of Phantom myself, I have to warn you that it is "Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular" vs "Phantom of the Opera" as seen on Broadway.

Broadway is best, Vegas is second and the traveling show is third (I told you I was a huge fan!). The differences are really minimal, but the ambiance/theater decor really makes a difference in losing yourself in the moment. The traveling show just can't compete with the permanent shows in that respect. The Vegas show is shorter with no intermission (90 minutes vs 2 hours for the regular show), but honestly, I couldn't really tell what they cut out. And the Vegas show adds some extra special effects too.

You are going to have an amazing time!

(I'd recommend Postrio (Wolfgang Puck) because it is delicious, in the Venetian, and pleasing to a variety of palates. But there are so many restaurants, its hard to narrow it down without knowing more of what you like!)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bit of a side track but also a HUGE Phantom fan myself and we are planning on seeing it in June when we go. Are there seats you'd recommend or areas to avoid in the theatre? We wanted to see it before it leaves (end of this year, I think....??) and knew it was a bit shorter, but I guess you don't really miss to much, is that right, FrekeChild??

I've also enjoyed eating at American Fish at the ARIA (more upscale options) as well as their Cafe Vetro (good variety, more reasonably priced). At NYNY, I've really enjoyed Il Fornaio. We tend to eat less exotic and enjoy shows instead of dining out, so if you are looking for a great quick sandwich place, The Earl of Sandwich just inside the Miracle Mile is fast, clean, good 'quick' food... (seriously - the low end of the dining spectrum is where we are at!!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

YayTacori|1337844233|3202403 said:
I just realized I will just happen to be in Vegas for the GTG... This makes it even harder! So close.... but I can't go!

You should go to the GTG!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1337906509|3203089 said:
Are there seats you'd recommend or areas to avoid in the theatre? We wanted to see it before it leaves (end of this year, I think....??) and knew it was a bit shorter, but I guess you don't really miss to much, is that right, FrekeChild??
We tend to go all out when it comes to the theater, so we actually sat it in the front row. Plus, when compared to the Cirque shows, it's almost cheap! Having said all of that, it was hard to get the full effect of the chandelier when you're in the front row.

I didn't notice a difference. I saw it in NYC in 2004, here in town in about 2008 and then in Vegas in 2011. So there was a decent time gap between all of them, but nothing was missing. Obviously cutting out the intermission helped with timing, but other than that, I can't really think of anything that wasn't there. As weird as that sounds!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I made a reservation today for Olives at the Bellagio. Here's hoping I get a balcony seat! :)

FrekeChild|1337915856|3203205 said:
Enerchi|1337906509|3203089 said:
Are there seats you'd recommend or areas to avoid in the theatre? We wanted to see it before it leaves (end of this year, I think....??) and knew it was a bit shorter, but I guess you don't really miss to much, is that right, FrekeChild??
We tend to go all out when it comes to the theater, so we actually sat it in the front row. Plus, when compared to the Cirque shows, it's almost cheap! Having said all of that, it was hard to get the full effect of the chandelier when you're in the front row.

I didn't notice a difference. I saw it in NYC in 2004, here in town in about 2008 and then in Vegas in 2011. So there was a decent time gap between all of them, but nothing was missing. Obviously cutting out the intermission helped with timing, but other than that, I can't really think of anything that wasn't there. As weird as that sounds!

I was going to buy tickets for the very front row also but thought twice and called the box office before I made any decisions. They told me that since the Vegas show is so interactive, that Row P in the Golden Circle is the best place to be to see everything.

Skippy|1337907535|3203106 said:
YayTacori|1337844233|3202403 said:

You should go to the GTG!!!
I SHOULD GO! But, DH surprised me with this trip and I feel like it would kind of be mean of me to... you know?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Have the BEST TIME EVER! I try to get to Vegas a few times a year (I'm in San Diego so it's not very far). I have stayed at just about every hotel on the strip, eaten at tons of restaurants, and seen a lot of the major shows and there is still always something new each time I go. It's just a giant playground and every time I leave I can't help but plan my next trip! Viva Las Vegas!!!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks! But I sure do wish Ramin Karimloo was the phantom I am going to go see... I've watched videos of Anthony Crivello and I dunno if I like his voice. I know he's a Tony award winner but I'm a Ramin fan...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results