shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts about a diamond

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Yes totally. I am not able to describe what is the problem like you did but it appears to me with very very poor "contrast". Additionnally i may have seen inclusions, for an IF it seems to be strange, am i wrong?

The diamond in that video appears very deep to my eye. I see what I think is light leakage and the cutting is very asymmetrical. See how the hearts differ on the back view. Perhaps I see one speck under the table but it might be dust on the surface. It does look very clean at least. I just don’t understand how a diamond with the specs you were given can look like that! Big red flag to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but the new ones you are considering are not good options.

I totally understand if VVS clarity is important (I know for some people stones need to be "mind clean". It will mean dropping down in either color or size, but that's totally do-able!

mvoila

Rough_Rock
If you are ok sacrificing size to get VVS color (even knowing that it will not make a difference to the naked eye), then I think the one you found (below) is a solid choice.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12688442?click_id=977556922

I would put it on hold asap.
It seems to be the direction of the story. If this website fails in explaining a so much huge difference between certificate and the video, it will be the preferred solution.
But I am so disappointed, maybe the price has been to good to be true. 5000€ with a such stone is a stunning price (compared to blue nile). I am surprised they advertise in great journals and are well known in France. anyway, I will update as soon as I have more answers.

Thank you so much, you avoid bad choices (lack of knowledge) for my engagement ring.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems to be the direction of the story. If this website fails in explaining a so much huge difference between certificate and video, it will be the preferred solution.
But I am so disappointed, maybe the price has been to good to be true. 5000€ with a such stone is a stunning price (compared to blue nile). I am surprised they advertise in great journals and are well known in France. anyway, I will update as soon as I have more answers.

Thank you so much, you avoid bad choices (lack of knowledge) for my engagement ring.
I can't explain how the video looks so awful, other than maybe some insane gia rounding. But that video is a total disaster. Worth asking them to double check that it's the right stone!

mvoila

Rough_Rock
I can't explain how the video looks so awful, other than maybe some insane gia rounding. But that video is a total disaster. Worth asking them to double check that it's the right stone!
The answer without any explanation except blablabla :
"The diamond on the link I sent is the diamond certificate presented. The percentages shown on this GIA certificate are measured with the most advanced tools from the GIA laboratory by the GIA experts, who are the most renowned in the global diamond industry. According to my experiences, the total depth is +/- 62%, the flag depth is +/- 43%, and the table is +/- 56%. In fact, a GIA certified 'Triple Excellent' size ensures that you choose a perfectly cut diamond, with irreproachable proportions, beyond the detailed considerations of measurements and percentages. What's more, working in tense to offer the best value for money to our customers, we do not have diamonds proposed and buy them at the moment the customer places an order. Therefore, the proposed stones can be bought in the meantime, at any time. While waiting for your return, I wish you an excellent evening."

It will be a frank goodbye to them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The diamond on the link I sent is the diamond certificate presented. The percentages shown on this GIA certificate are measured with the most advanced tools from the GIA laboratory by the GIA experts, who are the most renowned in the global diamond industry. According to my experiences, the total depth is +/- 62%, the flag depth is +/- 43%, and the table is +/- 56%. In fact, a GIA certified 'Triple Excellent' size ensures that you choose a perfectly cut diamond, with irreproachable proportions, beyond the detailed considerations of measurements and percentages. What's more, working in tense to offer the best value for money to our customers, we do not have diamonds proposed and buy them at the moment the customer places an order. Therefore, the proposed stones can be bought in the meantime, at any time. While waiting for your return, I wish you an excellent evening."

Hahaha omg thats the stupidest answer on Earth! Gia xxx does NOT guarantee a top stone. Far from it! Definitely ignore them and buy from blue Nile

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that they think gia xxx means you DONT need info about proportions. That is laughable, and a bold lie.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

blablabla sums it up well, lol. You WILL find the perfect diamond for you and your intended because you're going about it the right way!

Maybe consider putting most of your budget into the best stone you can find with a simple setting for now. In five years or whenever you can upgrade the ring to what she wants? Most of us who hang out here (not all I realize) have, or aspire to have a top of the line diamond such as Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds. These are top of the line companies who own their diamonds and who stand behind them with great service and upgrade/ buy back options. It might be worth the shipping and taxes involved since it seems to me you are looking for the best.

Just my 2 cents as we say here.

mvoila

Rough_Rock
blablabla sums it up well, lol. You WILL find the perfect diamond for you and your intended because you're going about it the right way!

Maybe consider putting most of your budget into the best stone you can find with a simple setting for now. In five years or whenever you can upgrade the ring tonight i will do my choice.o what she wants? Most of us who hang out here (not all I realize) have, or aspire to have a top of the line diamond such as Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds. These are top of the line companies who own their diamonds and who stand behind them with great service and upgrade/ buy back options. It might be worth the shipping and taxes involved since it seems to me you are looking for the best.

Just my 2 cents as we say here.
This is the most likely scenario. Simple setting with a solid stone.
Tonight I will do my choice.
There a last test to pass, determine her finger size. She doesn't wear rings at the right finger...

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
This is the most likely scenario. Simple setting with a solid stone.
Tonight I will do my choice.
There a last test to pass, determine her finger size. She doesn't wear rings at the right finger...

Good luck!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm from France, so don't be surprised with some typos/misspelling, i apologize for this.
I'm looking for an engagement ring. The setting will be 4 prongs with a paved ring.
Alloy will be yellow gold (as my girlfriend prefers yellow gold, although personally I will have chosen platinum).
Here, in France we have some websites which try to hit the same markets as whiteflash/bluenile or other websites in USA.

I benchmarked one of them (others websites answers are pending). Here is their proposal :
- The setting (don't pay attention to price and diamond characteristics here) : https://www.celinni.com/fr/solitair...-diamant-mon-amour-or-jaune-18k-750-1000.html
- The diamond : http://diamondtransactions.net/Sear...5313943693&carat=0.7&SID=6fh3m34jvjhqc0uksls7
HCA score is 1.6
I give them the set of parameters from beyond4cs for diamond filtering and only table size is out of scope (59%, I understood that I will affect fire) :

Total price is 5790€ (6390.83$), initial target price was 5000€ (5500$).
I ask them to have a lower color/purity quality to enhance cut quality but it seems they don't have (or they don't want to deal with) a diamond that fit beyond4cs parameters.
I don't have the detail of setting cost and diamond cost.
My point of hesitation/frustration/concern : I don't have any photo... I will have to take delivery of my ring in a shop, so I will be able to see it but after the diamond has been settled and I think I will have to pay (10% or more) at the beginning to confirm my request.
I have already read all of the advices about buying a diamond without seeing it.
I just want to ask if this diamond seems to be good and if there is a major risk to have an average diamond (not shiny or whatsoever).

Don't hesitate to elaborate about my search, websites to look or diamond choice.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, reading this forum has already been precious to help me to chose the right diamond.
I couldn't get any of the links to open.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kaycee, you're welcome.
Haha, nice choice. If you need advises or somewhat like that don't hesitate. The wife of my girlfriend's brother is from United States of America (Orange, California). Il lived just near Paris (Levallois Perret) for 5 years until 2018. Now I live in Lille (2 hours far from Antwerp but it seems to be dangerous and not so much better to buy a diamond direct from Antwerp).
It surprised me a lot too. I think I will stop thinking to buy a diamond from this shop (even it is a well known website in France) or maybe if they give the possibility to cancel the order without fees after seeing the diamond.

Bonjour, @mvoila and merci beaucoup for the offer of recommendations. I always love to hear of good bakeries, so if you have any to recommend I would definitely try them. We visit Paris for a week or so every year, so we are *kind of* familiar. Our favorite things to do are fairly simple (explore on foot, picnic in the park for lunch, etc.). My husband's uncle is engaged to a Parisian and we have made some friends on our visits that we meet with. I have heard Lille is lovely, but have never visited. France is so wonderful, any time of year :kiss2: . But for diamonds, it is not the place to shop (nor is Europe in general). You are safe with Blue Nile and it looks like you are getting great recommendations. I agree that a simple solitaire setting (so classic, but can always be upgraded later if desired) and focusing your budget on the diamond is the way to go. And I understand your desire for VVS clarity, it is a mind thing and there is nothing wrong with that. In the US, most consumers focus on size, but in Europe, more focus is on color and clarity. You have done enough research to know that cut is very, very important and I am certain that you will find something that works for you.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
It seems to be the direction of the story. If this website fails in explaining a so much huge difference between certificate and the video, it will be the preferred solution.

Stay away from that stone (it might not even be the right stone in the video)... and that vendor.

mvoila

Rough_Rock
What about this one? I believe it still puts you under the initial budget price or right at it after taxes.

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ngagement-ring-14k-gold_60427?diamondShape=OV
I was browsing and view this one. But it is 14k gold. I prefered 18k and i was not very conviced by the model. What i was looking for was more 1600-2000k$ which explodes my possibilities.
With my settle i paid 5200€ - 100€ (discount code) which is already a little above my initial target.
FYI : taxes are 20% in France.
Edit : and finally, i have forgotten to say that my girlfriend may have some allergies. Maybe 14 would be at risk?

Last edited:

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Bonjour, @mvoila and merci beaucoup for the offer of recommendations. I always love to hear of good bakeries, so if you have any to recommend I would definitely try them. We visit Paris for a week or so every year, so we are *kind of* familiar. Our favorite things to do are fairly simple (explore on foot, picnic in the park for lunch, etc.). My husband's uncle is engaged to a Parisian and we have made some friends on our visits that we meet with. I have heard Lille is lovely, but have never visited. France is so wonderful, any time of year :kiss2: . But for diamonds, it is not the place to shop (nor is Europe in general). You are safe with Blue Nile and it looks like you are getting great recommendations. I agree that a simple solitaire setting (so classic, but can always be upgraded later if desired) and focusing your budget on the diamond is the way to go. And I understand your desire for VVS clarity, it is a mind thing and there is nothing wrong with that. In the US, most consumers focus on size, but in Europe, more focus is on color and clarity. You have done enough research to know that cut is very, very important and I am certain that you will find something that works for you.
About bakeries, you may have already tried the famous ones (they offer overall good quality but overpriced like in any product). Pierre Hermé, is maybe one of the most famous although he may no more bake something now).
You can try (if not already done) : Philipe conticini (very famous too) , Jean Paul Hévin (he sells chocolates too and they are tremendous but he sells great cakes too) and Arnaud Lahrer.
After that, you have Hugues Pouget whom is well known.
If you like baba au rhum (my preferred bakery) you have to go to Sthorer. They invented it.
If you need advice on chocolate, i have addresses too.

mvoila

Rough_Rock
With my ring purchased, have you got any advices for post delivery inspection?
Is it mandatory to verify GIA number on the girdle (i can buy a 30X magnifier, it seems to cost around 20$ on amazon and could be fun to show) ?
Has GIA certificate security marks to verify authenticity?
Delivery seems to be planned for Monday.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
In America we get an appraisal done and then insure it LOL. Definitely buy the 30x if you’re interested..it will probably come with a 10x, but what’s 20 more dollars at this point. The number on your diamond will also appear on your certificate. Post photos when you can and congratulations!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my ring purchased, have you got any advices for post delivery inspection?
Is it mandatory to verify GIA number on the girdle (i can buy a 30X magnifier, it seems to cost around 20$ on amazon and could be fun to show) ?
Has GIA certificate security marks to verify authenticity?
Delivery seems to be planned for Monday.
Buying from a trusted vendor = you dont have to worry about authenticity. But for extra peace of mind you can use a loupe to verify that the inscription on the diamond matches the number on the certificate.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
you might contact:
Fortrez
Mr Rob van Beurden
www.fortrez.com
Vestingstraat 59 2018 Antwerp
Belgium.png
Belgium
Tel: +32 3 226 93 93

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was browsing and view this one. But it is 14k gold. I prefered 18k and i was not very conviced by the model. What i was looking for was more 1600-2000k$ which explodes my possibilities.
With my settle i paid 5200€ - 100€ (discount code) which is already a little above my initial target.
FYI : taxes are 20% in France.
Edit : and finally, i have forgotten to say that my girlfriend may have some allergies. Maybe 14 would be at risk?

Oh no, if she has a nickel allergy it might be best to go platinum but if she definitely wants yellow gold then stick with 18k

mvoila

Rough_Rock
In America we get an appraisal done and then insure it LOL. Definitely buy the 30x if you’re interested..it will probably come with a 10x, but what’s 20 more dollars at this point. The number on your diamond will also appear on your certificate. Post photos when you can and congratulations!

Ok, is it easy to find an appraiser? Does it cost a lot of money? I have some well known jeweleries in my town but they are the same which i asked for a quote. I will be unconfortable to ask them after.
For the magnifier, honestly it is more curiosity/personal culture oriented. An appraiser will be more accurate than reading an engraved number. I have seen some articles about counterfeit GIA laser engravement (but i believe it is not so common moreover if they come from blue nile). I found the diamond technical field very exciting, i will be pleased to deep more in it (a passionated engineer will be curious for a lot of subjects). Showing these microscopic numbers to my girlfriend will be fun too (although i will have prefered our surnames or nicknames).
About insurance, it seems maybe to much for my little rock. Maybe when i will be able to purchase exceptional pieces (in some decades... :D) i will consider it. Am i wrong?

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Buying from a trusted vendor = you dont have to worry about authenticity. But for extra peace of mind you can use a loupe to verify that the inscription on the diamond matches the number on the certificate.
The only reasons i see for a problem is :
  • an error from blue nile because they are still humans
  • an act of malevolence from delivery (which is rather possible).

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Oh no, if she has a nickel allergy it might be best to go platinum but if she definitely wants yellow gold then stick with 18k
She is sensitive, but i have purchased some jeweleries in 18k without problem since now.
I would have preferred platinum too (for aesthetics reasons too) but the gift is for her, and i know she really prefers yellow gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results