shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

batman010101

Rough_Rock
Looking for a diamond engagement ring for my gf. a couple things about her A. she does not wear jewelry (she has jewelry, I''ve seen it, she just don''t like to wear it!) B. What little jewelry she does have is very simple ( I''ve heard her make comments about how "load" other people’s jewelry is) C. I know she doesn’t want a setting that is to "tall" (I''m pretty sure I''ve settled on a bezel setting) Anyway after searching the net here is what I''ve narrowed it down to

Shape: Radiant
Carat weight: 0.58
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: IF
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 64.5%
Table: 65%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.94*4.59*2.96
Ratio: 1.08
Price: $1,740

Shape: Princess
Carat: 0.50
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: IF
GIA Certificate: 17118802
Hide
Depth: 74.2%
Table: 71.00%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.43mm x 4.34mm x 3.22mm
Price: $1,638.00

Comments/Opinions would be greatly apprecieated. Which is the better value? Would I be paying to much? Is this big enough?
19.gif
26.gif
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
These two are fancy cuts so will need ASET image to judge cut performance.

Also, with IF clarity you pay a very high premium for something you won''t be able to tell apart from an eye-clean SI1.

batman010101

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help. I''m not sure what an ASET is, is it a type of file like a JPEG?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock

batman010101

Rough_Rock
hers a pic of the 1st one
http://www.jamesallen.com/grading_report.asp?pic=1230045&type=2
hers a pic of the 2nd
http://byo.diamond.com/create_your_own/ring/stones.php

also I know i''m paying a lot more just for the IF but I feel like I need to, being that she doesn''t want anything to gaudy I don''t want to get her a diamond to big I so I feels I should make up for it in color/clarity. I want her diamond to be brilliant.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:16:59 AM
Author: batman010101

also I know i'm paying a lot more just for the IF but I feel like I need to, being that she doesn't want anything to gaudy I don't want to get her a diamond to big I so I feels I should make up for it in color/clarity. I want her diamond to be brilliant.
There is nothing wrong with IF if that is what you want and you realize you are paying a large price premium for something that no one will ever be able to tell. The brilliance of the diamond will be determined MUCH more by the cut than the color or clarity. That is where the ASET image comes in, it helps to judge that. A well cut H-SI1 stone will be much more brilliant and fiery than a poorly cut D-IF.

(The second link you posted just leads to a search page, not a specific diamond)

EDT: For that size and budget, I would go for something more like this

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/Whiteflash-ACA-Princess-cut-diamond-160451.htm#

diddy

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:16:59 AM
hers a pic of the 1st one
http://www.jamesallen.com/grading_report.asp?pic=1230045&type=2
hers a pic of the 2nd
http://byo.diamond.com/create_your_own/ring/stones.php

also I know i''m paying a lot more just for the IF but I feel like I need to, being that she doesn''t want anything to gaudy I don''t want to get her a diamond to big I so I feels I should make up for it in color/clarity. I want her diamond to be brilliant.

Batman ... I am not a diamond expert ... EVERYTHING I know about diamonds (specifically the princess) I''ve learned off of PS and the fine PS users in the last 2 months (I read PS for a while before finally deciding to post something!
2.gif
)

I would probably listen to Stone-cold and get away from the IF clarity. Put the money saved towards an "ideal" cut.

When I first found PS, I was dead set on buying a 1ct princess, D-F, VVS1 diamond. I ended up buying a 1ct princess G, VS1. No difference to the eye and got a better cut than I originally was looking at. And that means more sparkle!

If I were you, I would drop the IF ... it looks good on paper, but does not make a difference to the eye, as long as the stone is eye-clean.

What about an ACA princess from WF?

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=160449

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=160452

These are in your ballpark. They also already have the ASETs posted (though I will leave interpretation of the images up to others). Just another newbie''s 2cents! Good luck!!!
9.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Good finds, diddy. I was just looking at those as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 12:04:54 AM
Author: jet2ks
An ASET is a tool used to measure a diamond's light performance. You can read more about it here

http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Some vendors offer ASET images, some do not.
Ditto Jet, also detailed photos are essential to not only judge the cut but to make sure a particular Princess appeals to you.

Do you have a particular preference for IF clarity? If so no problem but just so you know you could lower than to VS comfortably without visual sacrifice.

batman010101

Rough_Rock
So how low can I go with the clarity and still impress? I want the stone to be brilliant and her friends to be envious of its sparkle if not its size! which brings me back to the size thing, is 1/2 carat big enough?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
batman - in terms of size, has your gf ever tried on diamond rings of any variety? Do you have a sense of what she likes and what looks good on her? I feel like this is a pretty big purchase to be gambling on if not. I know when I first started looking at engagement ring options with my husband, I initially liked one style, but when we went and I tried it on, I really disliked the way it looked on me and ended up loving something completely different. I also ended up liking much larger stones than I thought I would when I tried them in person.

Is there any way you could discreetly ask your girl''s friends or a family member to at least get more of a read on what she likes?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
1/2 carat is a great size!!! The size of the diamond doesn''t reflect the level of your love--or hers. In the Show Me The Ring forum, one of the most popular threads is the under 1ct. There are a lot of great rings in there that are 1/2ct or less.

If you are concerned about size, one thing to consider when purchasing would be a trade-in policy. Some vendors, like Whiteflash, have great policies that would allow you to trade up at a later date (maybe an anniversary) when you are financially able to.

As far as clarity, as long as it is "eye-clean", SI1 and even SI2 are fine. If they are well cut, there will still be a ton of brilliance and sparkle.

batman010101

Rough_Rock
I think I found the diamond !!!!! Please let me know what you guys think !!! I couldn''t get ASET images for it but I tried to get all the other info.
Diamond Specifications
Stone shape: Round
Carat Weight: 0.53 carats
Clarity: VS1
Certificate type: GIA
Depth %: 61.6
Table %: 55
Girdle: Very Thin to Slightly Thick - Faceted
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 5.25 x 5.2 x 3.22 millimeters
Length-to-width ratio: 1.01
crown % 32
pavilion angle % 41
Price $1490
36.gif
1.gif
30.gif
3.gif
31.gif
3.gif
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 2:12:10 AM
I think I found the diamond !!!!! Please let me know what you guys think !!! I couldn't get ASET images for it but I tried to get all the other info.
Diamond Specifications
crown % 32
pavilion angle % 41
Price $1490
36.gif
1.gif
30.gif
3.gif
31.gif
3.gif
36.gif
It looks promising, an Idealscope or ASET image would be good though. You could raise the crown angle up to 34 degrees to match that pavilion angle also if you wished. Get the vendor to check that the very thin part of the girdle isn't a potential durability issue, it isn't always the case that they are but best to check.

diddy

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 2:12:10 AM
I think I found the diamond !!!!! Please let me know what you guys think !!! I couldn''t get ASET images for it but I tried to get all the other info.
Diamond Specifications
crown % 32
pavilion angle % 41
Price $1490
36.gif
1.gif
30.gif
3.gif
31.gif
3.gif
36.gif

Batman ... does your girlfriend have a taste preference for the shape of the diamond??? You''ve posted 3 diamonds; 1 radiant, 1 princess and 1 round.

Just double checking!
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 11:33:09 AM
Author: diddy

Batman ... does your girlfriend have a taste preference for the shape of the diamond??? You''ve posted 3 diamonds; 1 radiant, 1 princess and 1 round.

Just double checking!
1.gif
These are all so very different in shape and faces up differently as well. Maybe you should make sure first on the shape that your GF would like then go from there to find the best diamond within in that shape. Otherwise, I feel that your asking us to pick between apples, oranges or bananas. if that makes sense?

batman010101

Rough_Rock
I just weaseled the fact that she doesn''t like the "square" diamonds out of her without trying to be to obvious about what I was inquiring about and I already know she wants something flush ( like a bezel setting)the bezel settings I''ve looked at only hold round diamonds so I think I''m going round. I typed the diamonds dimensions into the "Halloway" and it came back 0.9 isn''t that a good score ? It''s a much better score than the about 12 other diamonds I typed in that think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 12:38:15 PM
I just weaseled the fact that she doesn''t like the ''square'' diamonds out of her without trying to be to obvious about what I was inquiring about and I already know she wants something flush ( like a bezel setting)the bezel settings I''ve looked at only hold round diamonds so I think I''m going round. I typed the diamonds dimensions into the ''Halloway'' and it came back 0.9 isn''t that a good score ? It''s a much better score than the about 12 other diamonds I typed in that think.
The HCA is used for rejection, not selection. The aim is to score below 2 in the first instance then evaluate from there with Idealscope or ASET images, a lower score isn''t better than a higher score.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bezel, I have a semi bezel (keystone from Whiteflash) right now, but its going back for a permanent reset into a full bezel. I''m not sure of your price range, but here are a few if you are open to a lower color grade, but it will face up white, these are all from G-J...
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982351.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1467068.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982380.htm

just a few, but there are like 10 out there under 2k...

mine is a K color ACA and it looks amazing.. the fire, brillant, is just amazing,, you can''t go wrong with ACAs...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto lorelei - anything under 2 is a good contender, and you should be pleased
1.gif
I''m glad you checked with your gf about the round vs. square issue - sounds like she definitely has preferences, so I''m glad you''ll be getting her something she''ll love
1.gif

batman010101

Rough_Rock
Diamond Specifications
crown % 32
pavilion angle % 41
Price $1490

So I ordered this diamond through Amazon on 4/22 I get an email yesterday 5/1 saying that the diamond was actaully a very good cut rahter than the ideal cut they advertised.The ring was supposed to arrive before 4/30.So I called customer service and they told name they can give me this now "very good" cut diamond at the same price as it was when it was graded "ideal"
29.gif
How does this happen!!! I feel like they are trying to scam me!!! Now have to look for a similar diamond in this price range find someplace that will set it in the bezel setting she chose and get here by Fri 5/7.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 4:55:14 PM
Diamond Specifications
crown % 32
pavilion angle % 41
Price $1490

So I ordered this diamond through Amazon on 4/22 I get an email yesterday 5/1 saying that the diamond was actaully a very good cut rahter than the ideal cut they advertised.The ring was supposed to arrive before 4/30.So I called customer service and they told name they can give me this now 'very good' cut diamond at the same price as it was when it was graded 'ideal'
29.gif
How does this happen!!! I feel like they are trying to scam me!!! Now have to look for a similar diamond in this price range find someplace that will set it in the bezel setting she chose and get here by Fri 5/7.
Lets see if I can help here.

First GIA do not have Ideal Cut, their highest cut grade is Excellent, so the term Ideal Cut would have been used in this instance by the seller. The term Ideal Cut can be used rather loosely by some vendors and is no guarantee of a well cut stone.

GIA cut grading of Excellent, Very Good and so on are the official cut grades, what I would suggest you do is any diamonds they suggest, post the specs here and we can help you find the best ones.

Have you checked out some of the PS vendors who specialize in selling diamonds to see what they can offer you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results