shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinions please, o-coloured stone experts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the colours in these three tourmalines. I want a pink stone, 10mm or thereabouts in size, pear or round. Any thoughts on these? I picked on these ones because the colours are what I like and they aren''t terribly expensive, but am unsure about the cut. Has anyone bought from GemSelect?

Thanks!
9.gif

#1:
http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-213475.php

#2:
http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-213190.php

#3:
http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-213196.php

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to see videos as it really helps. I haven''t bought from Gemselect and I think there have been mixed reviews (that doesn''t help does it?).

In terms of which appeals most here''s what I see:-

1. Pretty pear shape but has a window that''s been partially disguised by the lighting. This wouldn''t be my first choice.
2. Cut is a little strange in the culet area but it''s a lovely colour and very pretty.
3. Although this is slightly paler, it''s my favourite. It''s the better cut.

Hope that''s helped.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I''ve bought from Gemselect. They are nice to deal with but often have window-ed stones. I see windows in all three of your stones, esp., the first. The third may be o.k.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos all look enhanced, and none of the stones are probably as nice in person. I do not trust pink tourmaline at all from Thai sellers. Some, if not most, pink tourmalines are heated then irradiated to get their color, and most of this material passes through the cutters in Thailand and Brazil. It's almost impossible to determine the treatment, so they can say "not treated." I pretty much stay away from all pink tourmaline unless I know the faceter who obtained his rough from a very reliable source. Most pink tourmaline also tends to go browner in incandescent lighting as well, and again, you can't tell this by the pictures.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is the 3rd one, but I think you could fair well by purchasing from a USA cutter or it there is a cutter in your area..

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
They all do have windows. Less so on the second two. I think they are okay but you might be able to find something better. Have you checked out many gemstone sites or are you just starting to look? Have you tried acstones?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d check out Artistic Colored Stones, Precision Gems and Custom Gemstones before purchasing from Gemselect. I have purchased from them and intentionally bought cheap items I wouldn''t mind not being able to return.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of #2, cut of #3 and size of #1. If you''re going for size, you''ll get more bling for the buck by getting a pear, as they''re usually more shallow than most cuts, but if you''re more after brilliance and scintillation go for the rounds. But for this same reason rounds are not a great choice if you''d like a more vivid color (brilliance always neutralizes color saturation, to a point). But whatever you do, check the return policies, warranties and stuff like that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pear looks to have a decent sized window.
Round 1 has nice colour but has it been touched up?
Round 2 also looks like something is a little off.

So far, I''ve heard not very good things about gemselect. They are inexpensive for a reason.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankyou all for your feedback guys, I do appreciate it alot!! I''ve only bought one gemstone online so I need the moral support here!!
9.gif

I''ve sent Dan an email to see if he''ll have any pink rough in the future, he has cut a pink tourm for me before and I love it to pieces. There is certainly no urgency to this project, just something I''ve wanted for a while!
21.gif

Thanks again!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a pretty pink tourmaline that doesn''t get muddy indoors (turn brown and dark) like most other pink tourmalines, I''d shoot Gene of PrecisionGems an email. He has good material.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks heaps for the tip Chrono, I''ll give him a try!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results