shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this 1.76 ct diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrew01

Rough_Rock
Carat weight: 1.76 (Round)
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 62.4%
Table %: 56%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 7.71 x 7.68 x 4.80 mm

I am a newbie here buying a diamond for an engagement ring.

My questions
1.Some people told me for Fluorescence i should get "None" instead of a colored diamond. Is it true a "none" diamond is better than a medium blue? Is this visible to a naked eye?
2.The griddle is Slightly thick to thick. Is this bad? what is the ideal?
3. your overall opinion on this diamond.

Thanks for your help.
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the crown and pavilion angles?

regarding fluorescence, it is a personal preference thing and it is only noticeable in the presence of UV source. Medium Blue is almost not detectable in normal lighting conditions with UV source. In lighting without UV, it is not noticeable. I like mine to have fluor, I have 2 very strong blue.

Girdle, is a little thick, hiding weight, making the stone looks slightly smaller than ideally cut stone of similar weight. Ideal cut stone should be around 7.75-7.8mm diameter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 12:20:04 PM
Author:andrew01
Carat weight: 1.76 (Round)
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 62.4%
Table %: 56%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 7.71 x 7.68 x 4.80 mm

I am a newbie here buying a diamond for an engagement ring.

My questions
1.Some people told me for Fluorescence i should get 'None' instead of a colored diamond. Is it true a 'none' diamond is better than a medium blue? Is this visible to a naked eye?
2.The griddle is Slightly thick to thick. Is this bad? what is the ideal?
3. your overall opinion on this diamond.

Thanks for your help.
1.gif
Welcome!

I need the crown and pavilion angles please, these will be on the report. As to your questions -

1) Fluorescence is down to personal preference, a diamond with or without is not better - other factors are more important to me such as the cut, type of lab grading report, colour and clarity etc. Medium blue fluorescence might not even be noticeable. This page explains more - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

2) Girdle - I prefer thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc rather than thick. A thick girdle can waste weight and make a diamond look small for the weight, this diamond is also right at my personal cut off for depth, but the angles will tell me more. You can read more in the following link concerning girdles - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/girdle.asp

3) If you can get the angles as above, then that will help.

andrew01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your quick response. I could not find the crown and pavilion angles on the GIA report.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
When is the GIA report dated?

Can you post the report number?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 12:30:09 PM
Author: andrew01
Thanks for your quick response. I could not find the crown and pavilion angles on the GIA report.
Hi Andrew,

You are most welcome! If the report is later than Jan 2006 then the angles should be there, look to the right of the report on the diamond diagram, they will be noted on there. They should be there if the cut grade of Very Good comes from the GIA report.

Is this diamond from a jewellery store or online seller?

andrew01

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,

From a online seller.

Crown: 34.0
Pavilion 41.0

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers for cut looks good. Does the vendor offer IS image?

andrew01

Rough_Rock
The vendor does not provide Idealscope image. Another question what is the ideal percentages for crown and pavilion?

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 12:54:16 PM
The vendor does not provide Idealscope image. Another question what is the ideal percentages for crown and pavilion?

Thanks.

There are various combos of crown and pavilion angles which can work well together. Personally I don't like to go much over 41 degrees even with a shallower crown angle for various reasons. Here are some crown and pavilion angle configurations you can use which will guide you towards a well cut round from expert John Pollard if working with GIA numbers.

"Here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35)."

andrew01

Rough_Rock
The vendor is asking for $15,500. Do you think this is a fair price?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:32:09 PM
The vendor is asking for $15,500. Do you think this is a fair price?
I did a search for similar above, the price looks good.

andrew01

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,

The Fluorescence on the diamond is Medium blue?

is that a deal breaker?
do you prefer it to be none or with a Fluorescence?

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 3:48:22 PM
Lorelei,

The Fluorescence on the diamond is Medium blue?

is that a deal breaker?
do you prefer it to be none or with a Fluorescence?

Thanks.
Hi Andrew,

Personally I am a fan of fluorescence so medium blue is a bonus to me!! This link explains further about fluorescence.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

andrew01

Rough_Rock
What causes the diamond to sparkle more than the other diamond?

Got my answer. Thank you.

iraweissman

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why have you decided to purchase a VS1? As an industry veteran of 6 years working for one of the worlds largest sightholders, I'll share with you a little insider tip:

When you sell diamonds, you need to believe in the illusion, when you're buying diamonds, you need to see beyond the illusion.

Why are you buying a VS1? Diamonds are horrible investments. What you're buying is a piece of jewelry that will look nice when worn. You can go down several notches in clarity and still buy a diamond that is clean to the naked eye. That is really all that should matter.

And with the money you save on clarity, you can upgrade to a significantly larger stone. And a larger diamond is something you can appreciate with your naked eye!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:25:18 PM
Author: iraweissman
Why have you decided to purchase a VS1? As an industry veteran of 6 years working for one of the worlds largest sightholders, I'll share with you a little insider tip:

When you sell diamonds, you need to believe in the illusion, when you're buying diamonds, you need to see beyond the illusion.

Why are you buying a VS1? Diamonds are horrible investments. What you're buying is a piece of jewelry that will look nice when worn. You can go down several notches in clarity and still buy a diamond that is clean to the naked eye. That is really all that should matter.

And with the money you save on clarity, you can upgrade to a significantly larger stone. And a larger diamond is something you can appreciate with your naked eye!
Why are you going around in every thread and talking like this to people? Did you ever stop to think perhaps he wants VS1 and that is why he is looking to buy one? Everyone has their reasons for buying what they do and it doesn't mean they're believing in an "illusion". Plus, I don't think he ever said it was for an investment.

I think you're here simply to promote your own website and your "truths" as you seem to like to call them. Something just doesn't seem right about all this w/you... and after perusing your site and seeing that you actually recommend clarity enhanced diamonds as being "a great way to save money and get a great looking diamond" makes me even more suspect.
32.gif
I'm reading other pages and shaking my head as well.
38.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 4:25:18 PM
Author: iraweissman

Ira, many here do in fact purchase SI clarities if verified eyeclean. However some prefer higher colour and clarity for various reasons, sometimes a high colour or clarity is an important part of their purchase. For example here we have a lady who has been posting on Pricescope for years, she is well aware that lower clarities can be eyeclean but she always prefers to buy at least VS and above as that is very important to her. That is what she prefers, she knows her options and she is willing to pay for VS.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Re: VS1 diamonds vs. lower clarities--
My personal opinion, from seeing/wearing a lot of diamonds, is that clarity isn''t a big deal as long as it is eyeclean.
That being said: I really prefer better clarity. I don''t care about color, but, in some stones/some cuts higher clarity=better performance. It just plain looks better sometimes. Not all the time, surely, but sometimes. So, given a D SI1 stone vs. a M VS1 stone, I''d pick the VS1 any day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results