shape
carat
color
clarity

your "must play list"

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i'm trying to get some inspiration for the "must play list" we're giving our DJ. care to share yours? or what gets you up & dancing at a wedding (aside from lots of booze :lol: )? and feel free to include the "special" songs if you want.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
ok, i'll share what i've got so far.

special songs
reception entrance: "september" earth, wind, and fire
first dance: "if i could build my whole world around you" marc broussard (marvin gaye cover)
father/daughter: "into the mystic" or "days like this" van morrison (dad & i have a van morrison bond)
mother/son: ??
bouquet toss: "pyt" michael jackson (if we do this, if not song goes to "must play")
garter toss: "you can leave your hat on" joe cocker (same as above)
caking cutting: ??
last song: "dancing in the moonlight" king's harvest

must play list
(and i realize now that these songs may make me seems crazy but i'll share anyways since i started this)
"cowboy" kid rock
"california love" tupac & dr. dre
"you make my dreams" hall & oates
"return of the mack" mark morrison
"let's get married" jagged edge
"we are family" sister sledge
"that's where it's at" sam cooke

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
lulu, I have a list next to my desk of "must play" and "don't play" songs!

A few from the list:

Event songs:
Entrance: "Say Hey"--Michael Franti
First Dance: TBD
Mother/Daughter (my father is not in the picture): "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"--Frankie Valli
Mother/Son: TBD
Cake: "Pour Some Sugar on Me"--Def Leppard
Bouquet Toss: Theme from "Sex and the City" or "Will and Grace"
Garter Toss: Theme from "The Stripper"
Last Dance: TBD

Other must plays:
"Hey Soul Sister" and "If It's Love" --Train
"Ever the Same" --Rob Thomas (in the running for first dance)
"The Way You Look Tonight" --Sinatra (same as above)
"Wonderful Tonight" --Eric Clapton (same as above)
"Whatever It Is" --Zac Brown Band
"Livin' on a Prayer" --Bon Jovi
"Don't Stop Belivin'" --Journey

Do NOT plays:
The Macarena, The Electric Slide, or any other line dance, the YMCA...

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um, i love your list! actually "say hey" is a possibility for our entrance song too but right now "september" is leading :) also, must add journey & bon jovi to my list...thanks!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
We are probably going to have to rely on our DJ a lot for music that our guests like to dance to because we are both into classic rock. So we will have a "must play" list, but we will be open to our DJ's suggestions.

My favorite bands are Journey and Aerosmith...so I'm pretty lost when it comes to "current" music lol.

So far this is what we have come up with:

Entrance: Sweet Child O Mine- Guns N Roses???
First dance: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing- Aerosmith
Bridal party Dance: Baby I Love Your Way- Peter Frampton
Father/Daughter: Tale As Old As Time- beauty and the beast theme (my favorite movie when I was little.. Dad and I used to dance to it ::) )
Cake Cutting: Pour Some Sugar On Me- Def Leppard
Bouquet toss: ???
Garter removal: Pride N Joy- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Last Dance: New York, New York- Frank Sinatra? or Piano Man- Billy Joel?

Must Play:
Don't Stop Believin- Journey
She's Got A Way- Billy Joel
Crocodile Rock or Benny and The Jets- Elton John
Your Song- Elton John
Have I Told You Lately- Rod Stewart
Livin on A Prayer- Bon Jovi
My Girl- The Temptations
Brown Eyed Girl???- Van Morrison
You Shook Me All Night Long- AC/DC
What I Like About You- The Romantics
Kiss- Prince
Crazy Lil Thing Called Love- Queen
Faithfully- Journey
Are You Gonna Be My Girl- Jet

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great thread!

We're still early on planning. Thanks to this thread, I just made a spreadsheet so I can start keeping track of must plays and do not plays.

We won't be having a DJ. Maybe a live group for part or all? (depending on cost)
Most likely we're going to create playlists and have our DOC change to the correct playlists throughout the evening.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
j, aren't you only 20 or 21? i thought you'd know some recent music. that's so funny that you & fi both stick to classic rock mostly. i'm not very modern in my music choices either, as you can see.

ok, too patient, so the document is started (this is how i keep up with mine too), share a few songs on it!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have some great Sephardic (Jewish music, mostly from Spain but also Turkey/Morocco/others) music at home. Very romantic (I don't speak Spanish or Ladino but FI does) and really quite pretty music. (some slower stuff but some is very upbeat and sounds very modern)
FI also wants klezmer. (If we have live musicians, it will be a local klezmer group)

What I have so far:

Amazed -- Lonestar
Bless the Broken Road -- Rascal Flatts
Can't Help Falling In Love
Cheek To Cheek
Come Away With Me -- Nora Jones (we waltzed to this in dance class)
Come Fly With Me -- Frank Sinatra (we do airplane stuff -- I think our caketopper is going to be a spun-glass airplane)
Cross My Heart -- George Strait (in running for 1st dance)
Don't Wanna Miss a Thing -- Aerosmith
Fly Me To The Moon -- Frank Sinatra
I Do Cherish You -- George Srait (in running for 1st dance)
I Hope You Dance -- Leanne Womack (maybe step-father/daughter dance?)
I Swear -- John Michael Montgomery
It's Your Love -- Faith Hill & Tim McGraw
Keeper Of The Stars -- Tracy Byrd (maybe George Strait)
The Best Is Yet To Come -- Frank Sinatra
The Way You Look Tonight -- Frank Sinatra
When You Say Nothing At All -- Alison Krauss
You're Still The One -- Shania Twain
Isn't It Romantic
Come Rain Or Come Shine
The Man In Love With You -- George strait

Wow. That seems long.
I guess it needs to be since we'll need to get the playlists set up for the entire evening.
I also want to add some swing in there and FI is determined to tango.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
wow, too patient...you hit the ground running with your list :D :D
i love some of your choices too! looks like you are going to have a really good mix of styles & genres!

come on, who else wants to play?
just give us one or two songs you like to dance to if you don't have a list.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke Ellington-- It Don't Mean a Thing
Benny Goodman -- sing, sing, sing

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
lulu66 said:
j, aren't you only 20 or 21? i thought you'd know some recent music. that's so funny that you & fi both stick to classic rock mostly. i'm not very modern in my music choices either, as you can see.

ok, too patient, so the document is started (this is how i keep up with mine too), share a few songs on it!

Haha. yeah. I'm 20. And I do know some recent stuff... But I'm really hoping our DJ can balance it out for us, because the classic rock is def our musical tastes.

It's kind of funny because a couple of months ago, I switched my radio at work from a classic rock station to a "top 40" ish station mainly for the purpose of finding "new" songs that I like so I know what i'm dancing to at my wedding.lol.

I'm proud to say that I like "you're love is my drug" by Ke$ha and pretty much anything by lady gaga. and i guess you could say i'm a taylor swift fan.

So great. here is jaylex's new must play list:
you're love is my drug
telephone
you belong with me
and...
anything recorded before i was born
haha.

Oh yeah.. I like "say hey (i love you)" too. there is hope for me yet!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
and...
haha.

i.love.it.

i feel like songs that i *really* love to dance to are all like 90's rap & pop. i think those make for a decent dance party, which is all i really want for my reception---a big party where everyone's laughing, dancing, drinking, and just having the most fun with each other!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
First dance: "Buena Sera" by Michael Buble
Father-daughter/mother-son dance: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Second dance: "Jump Jive and Wail" by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies (everyone joined in on this one)
Cake cutting: "Sweet Pea" by Amos Lee
Last dance: "Save the Last Dance for Me" by Michael Buble

During our cocktail hour and dinner, I had the DJ play a lot of standards at relatively low volume so conversations wouldn't be interrupted. Some examples:

"I Could Write a Book" by Harry Connick, Jr.
"La Vie en Rose" by Edith Piaf
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" by Ella Fitzgerald
"Volare" by Dean Martin
"Our Love is Here to Stay" by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
"Witchcraft" by Frank Sinatra
"Embraceable You" by Billie Holliday
"Day of Wine and Roses" by Henry Mancini
"A Wink and a Smile" by Harry Connick, Jr.
"Can't Buy Me Love" by Michael Buble

I have more, but I have to run, so I'll post more of my must-plays and do-not-under-any-circumstances-plays

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
lulu66 said:
and...
haha.

i.love.it.

i feel like songs that i *really* love to dance to are all like 90's rap & pop. i think those make for a decent dance party, which is all i really want for my reception---a big party where everyone's laughing, dancing, drinking, and just having the most fun with each other!

he he thanks. I totally agree with this statement. That is exactly what FI and I want.. and I hear our DJ is wonderful at making that happen!

How do we highlight with this new ps format? lol

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad to see this thread because I'm so lost when it comes to music and this has been a great help!

Right now our only "must plays" are the first dance and the father-daughter, my FI hasn't asked his mother yet if she would like to do a mother/son (she is very shy). The first dance is "You're the Cream in my Coffee" by Nat King Cole Trio and the father/daughter will be "My Girl." Our band is good at both styles of music and particularly at motown so I'm sure it'll be great.

Because we have a live band, we're probably just going to let them play what the crowd wants to hear. It's a 9-piece band and they can do anything from Frank Sinatra to Justin Timberlake! I already gave them my do not play list though, which basically amounts to no line dances of any variety! I know some people like them but FI and I have never been coordinated enough to do all the moves at the right time, lol. :tongue:

Jaylex - not sure how to highlight, I've just been doing what you're doing there, bolding the words. I was thinking it was because I use Firefox and not IE but maybe they removed that in the switch?

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
After our wedding in May, I officially have 2 songs I'd LOVE to hear at every wedding I attend for the rest of my life!

The first on is Shout by the Isley Brothers, which resulted in this at our wedding:
shoutdance.jpg

And the 2nd song is I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. It was our last encore song and all of our guests made a big circle around us that ended up as one giant hug. I loved it!!!
last%20song.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current DO NOT PLAY:

Isn't it Romantic (FI made up new words so we'd never be able to keep straight faces)
Let's Face the Music and Dance (FI actually suggested as 1st dance :o )

lyrics:
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

Before the fiddlers have fled
Before they ask us to pay the bill
And while we still
Have the chance
Let's face the music and dance

Soon
We'll be without the moon