shape
carat
color
clarity

Your First Engagement Ring

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
For those of you who are already married, what was your first engagement ring like? Do you still wear it or did you replace it with something larger? Mine was a simple, yet beautiful .5 carat square diamond cluster in a 14 kt white gold setting. I still have it and I treasure it. I rarely wear it, but I plan on giving it to my daughter one day as a gift for her 21st birthday.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I had a three stone 1ctw ring (si1-si2 clarity but E color). I never wore the ring after my first upgrade so the .4ct center is now in a Barbra bezel necklace by BGD. The two .3ct diamond are now haloed stud earrings. I'm glad I still get to wear them everyday.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was a .75 round. I dont know much about it because DH was a poor professional in training, and he saw an ad at a local respected jeweler in the newspaper that listed a .75 for $1100.00 and so that is what we bought. It's eye clean but has a chunk of carbon and a crystal that you can see from the sides and underneath. It's for sure not hearts and arrows nor anything close to that. We didn't get a GIA report on it, just a typed general insurance appraisal. It does have a lot of fire, and when I first got it, I received many compliments on how sparkly it is. It was set in a 6 prong tiffany yellow gold solitare. After a while, I changed to a 4 prong white gold. I added two channel set bands, on both sides of the solitare.

16 years later I upgraded to a 1.53 Asscher in a 4 prong platinum knife edge setting.

I'm having the .75 made into a 3 stone pendant with two .37 on either side in a thin bezel. I haven't brought it to the jeweler yet to have that done.

Here is a pic of the old and new together: img_5217_0.png

Q

Queenie60

Mine was a 1.5 carat round brilliant. It was set in 18K yellow gold. Classic Solitaire. I am not able to wear it because it was taken from me when my home was robbed.

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
My first ering was actually part of a 14 kt gold wedding set. The center stone was a round .75 carat diamond with a couple of small side stones on each side of it. The band was the same style without the center stone and it had five stones about the same size as the side stones on the ering. Including the side stones I believe this set was a total diamond weight of 1.25 carats. However, 13 years later we divorced. At that time I was still wearing the same set, but it now had no meaning to me. I sold it to help fund the cost of filing for divorce. You win some and you lose some, such is life.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have liked diamonds and gemstones longer than I have known my husband... so I had aldready bought and wore a solitaire as a rhr when I got engaged. Instead I chose a plain band for engagement ring and then an asscher band for a wedding band. Maybe makes more sense if I also add that I am not american, the tradition here is to wear a plain band for an engagement ring. :wavey:
Eta, I still wear my bands and will most likely continue doing so. My solitaire will likely be upgraded... as it already has been several times.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
My first and only engagement ring was a 0.26ct round in a YG cathedral setting with a Florentine finish. We bought it from a diamond dealer and chose the setting at a well-known jewellery store. Quite daring at the time for two 21-year old university students!

Both my husband and I had plain YG band wedding rings, with a finish that matched my engagement ring.

After many years of marriage, the shank on my e-ring was worn thin at the back of my finger, and it was cracked where the prongs attach to it. My husband’s wedding ring was also very worn out.

For our 40th anniversary, we had our original wedding rings set into larger rose gold ‘sleeves’. We also had my diamond reset (bezel) into my newly modified wedding ring. I have kept my old engagement setting, minus the stone, for sentimental reasons.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
P.S. After reading Rocky Talk for quite some time, I now think that I "need" a RHR with a larger diamond :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was a very modest .15 center diamond with .21 ctw diamond accents. I loved and cherished it and wore it for 16 years. DH picked it out himself. I still have the ring and it has a color shift spinel in it but I rarely wear it. The center diamond is now in an open heart pendant which I do wear occasionally.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.11 F, VS1 MRB. almost 20 years ago. :) Now it's in one of my ears, not sure which. :lol: My DD has already claimed it.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The centre diamond was about .05 carat and it sat in the middle of a sculpted flower in yellow gold. For my 1st anniversary we upgraded to a .5 carat F SI1 diamond which I wore for 28 years. I now have a 1.9 carat ACA.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
My first engagement ring was a .38 VS2 GIA graded E color stone in a simple 14k white gold solitaire setting. Replacement arrived last week (larger stone, new setting); had originally wanted a yellow gold setting so that's what I got. Keeping the original engagement ring for my youngest daughter, a 16th or 18th birthday present is the current plan. In the meantime it's tucked safely away. :)

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Married 28 years, my original engagement ring was a 0.43 ct round solitaire in 18k yellow gold. For our 10th anniversary we had it made into a 3-stone with 0.33 (each) side stones. And a few years ago, CVB reset it for me in a beautiful yellow gold bezel setting. I imagine this is the final version.

img_13474.jpg

Timm

Rough_Rock
My parents have been married for over forty years and my mother still wears the original engagement ring that my father gave to her. It's just amazing how long it has lasted and still looks good.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Original was a .35 in a yg satin finish solitaire. Cost $365 in 1979. It's in a pendant now.

Joel21

Rough_Rock
I'm about to give someone a ring which I hope they will treasure forever. I guess you never know but I hope my girlfriend keeps it forever because I'm going to a lot of trouble trying to make sure that it's perfect for her.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was 12 small princess cut diamonds pressure set into 3 quads, making it look like 3 larger princess cuts, platinum, 0.75 tcw. I got it 10 years ago. Unfortunately my daughter dropped it onto a slate floor & one of the diamonds cracked one next to it on impact. I now have a beautiful pear cut solitaire which I've had for almost 5 years, but I still have my original tucked away. I'd like to 'do' something with the diamonds, but not sure how viable that will be until the diamonds are removed, as they will have been drilled to snap into the setting. It's not wearable, as one hard knock will loose the cracked stone, and then the rest will fall out.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
My original engagement ring has an interesting story it was a 1.00 pear shape. My husband mother is first cousins with Helene Fortunoff yes of Fortunoff's so when her three sons were born she bought three pear Shape 1 carat stones one for each. Of her boys.

My sister in law got the first 1 carat.

My husband's middle brother died of leukemia in 1973 so his stone was used for my mother in laws second wedding. After she lost that and her first husband she gave my husband the option to take the stone she wore or the one she had meant for him. Luckily she decided to let me choose and she would sell the third stone.

We went to 47th street and although at the time I had no idea about diamonds I was smart enough to listen to the vendors at the diamond district and I selected the stone that they seemed to keep leaning towards as the better quality stone.

However the bottom line is I didn't care for pear shapes my husband had it set in a simple setting with 3 banquettes on either side. After one year of marrriage we had it set in a necklace and my husband and I saw this Trilliant 1.44 carat ring with 2 .25 trilliants on either side and this became my engagement ring for many many years. I still have it but it is yellow gold so I don't wear it often.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original was 1 ct and I wore it for almost 30 years! For our 30th anniversary, my husband suggested we look for a diamond ring, so I bought a whole new set since I wanted to change from yellow gold to platinum. That's when I came here, thank goodness, so I got an ideal cut 1.6 ct stone. Then, around the 35th anniversary, I fell in love with antique style cuts, and we upgraded that diamond to a 2.3 ct AVR (excellent cut Old European style round). I kept the original ring, but I have no reset it due to it not being as well cut as I prefer now. Here's a pic of the original on top, the middle one is 1.6 but I do not have it now, and the current one I wear on the bottom (the darkness is camera reflection).

2015-12-19_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results