shape
carat
color
clarity

Your favourite tennis player (if you have one) and memories?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be Wimbledon season right now over in UK, however, thanks to Covid-19, it has been cancelled.

However, all is not lost, as the TV schedulers managed to line up some vintage games, and I am watching the film Borg vs. McEnroe on TV in the background as I type, which prompted me to start this thread. :)

Mine is John McEnroe, the Superbrat, ever since I watched him on TV at school during Wimbledon 1980, my first Wimbledon season since coming over to UK to study.

It was love at first sight, a real crush. I just thought he was wonderful, very talented, and his anger was due to frustration in not being able to do his best or better. And, don't laugh, he is also an Aquarian like me! :kiss2:

The house I was in (I went to a boarding school) had over 50 girls, and nearly everyone watched the 1980 Final between Borg and McEnroe, and I was one of a handful of girls who wanted him to win. Sadly, he lost, and I was gutted.

I probably did not do as well in my exams the following year as I could have done because I was watching so much tennis. And I was very ecstatic when McEnroe won the following year!

I tried getting into Wimbledon that year by queuing (exams finished by then, hence I was able to go), however, I only managed to get into one of the smaller courts, standing room only, did not manage to watch any of the top seeds, and did not enjoy the experience.

A few months after his 1981 Wimbledon victory, he played in a small indoor tournament in London, and I was able to get tickets for the final day, and a good seat too, very close to the front.

It was a great experience, to see him play live, to watch him dance across the court, taking chances close to the net, and most importantly, not a boring baseline player.

He was even more watchable when he played double with Peter Fleming. There was a saying at the time, in that the World's No. 2 Doubles Pairing was John McEnroe with anyone; and the No. 1 spot was John McEnroe with Peter Fleming. I was fortunate to watch them play live at the same indoor tournament after McEnroe had won his single's match, and of course, they won. ;)2

1981 was a great year for me, and I am not ashamed to admit I used to carry a photo cut out of a smiling John McEnroe holding the Wimbledon trophy after his win in 1981 for years! :oops2:

I lost interest in tennis after he retired from the game, as no one else was as exciting and watchable after him, IMHO.

He is still great at 60, very funny and humble as a commentator and person, with a great sense of humour, as demonstrated in a recent TV documentary. He spoke fondly of Borg and is good friends with him.

As I said, 1981 was a very good year with lots of happy and fond memories! :kiss2:

Care to share your favourite tennis player and memories?

And thanks for reading my rambling.

DK :))

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My favorite tennis player was Stefan Edberg, he was around during the McEnroe era. I thought he was a great player, but also thought he was HOT!

I say "was" because I was an avid tennis player as a teen, but I don't play at all anymore, and I don't really watch tennis much anymore either. Apparently he is Roger Federer's coach now. Will have to start watching tennis again, maybe just to catch a glimpse of Stefan. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Roger Federer.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oldies but goodies -- Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Bjorn Borg, Arthur Ashe. I remember Evert for her achievement; King for her bravery; Ashe for his classiness; and Borg because I thought he was cute.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oldies but goodies for me, too - I followed tennis during that era, but not as much since. Bjorn Borg and Vitas Gerulaitas were probably my favorites, and that had everything to do with my teenage self thinking they were handsome!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
John McEnroe

We love him too! My husband was watching Tennis Channel for years. TV was always on and many times we watched John McEnroe and other old-timers play. And of course we loved him as a commentator! But my all time favorite is Roger Federer. I am too old to carry his photo with me but whenever I see him, my heart just melts. It was sometimes painful watching him during 2018-2019 seasons, however. Too bad all tournaments had been cancelled this year... And we cancelled TV, having now only several dozen channels to watch. No Tennis Channel, no ESPN.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Martina Navratilova
She was just phenomenal
Have not followed tennis for years but when i was a teenager i would get up in the middle of the night to watch the men's and lady's Wimbledon finals

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steffi Graf!!!!! She was my hero for a significant part of my youth.

It's also nice to know what after tennis she completely moved onto a different life. I read a lot about her career and her father and was under the impression she had a complicated relationship with tennis so as a huge fan I was glad to know she has a whole other life after the sport.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved tennis in the 90s...Pete Sampras, Michael Chang, Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf were my favourites. I'll never forget the 1995 Australian Open, when Pete Sampras' coach was suddenly flown home with a blood clot on the brain. Sampras cried and fought his way through, and ultimately won, an extraordinary 5 setter against Jim Courier. It really was incredible.

I also love Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Gael Monfils (must have a thing for french players!), Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results