shape
carat
color
clarity

Your favorite Christmas song, and why!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thought this might be a fun thread. My favorite Christmas carol/song is "O Little Town of Bethlehem" because my mother loved it, her name is Beth, and she used to play it, among other carols, on the piano every year...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Little Drummer Boy...

My favorite line is "then he smiled him" Imagine... Jesus smiling at him... or smiling at me... it gives me a chill.... knowing this boy had nothing to offer but the very same gift that God gave him...Knowing that I have nothing of value to offer Him... nothing except what he has blessed me with.... and that was and is enough...

I LOVE THIS SONG!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
O Holy Night, especially when sung by a large choir or a fantastic soprano soloist. Ooh, the chills....
36.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen...i havent a clue how to play piano but for some reason I can play this one! I like how it sounds kind of "haunting"

Angels We Have Heard on High--had to sing this once at a Girl Scout Christmas Party that i went to with my dad one year (he passed away a few years later) so I always think of the fun time we had at that party when I hear it

The First Noel-- my very first favorite carol. Dont know why!

Non religious:
This is terrible, but I love "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."
25.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sleigh Ride is an old favorite, according to my Mom, when I was little, I used to ''gallop'' around the living room like the horse in the song and then at the end I would whinny like the horse, yes that is a story told many times at the dinner table, it doesn''t even make me blush anymore.
9.gif

I also love O''Holy Night, Winter Wonderland, and The First Noel.

Oh and for a modern fun one, Jingle Bell Rock..man that song really takes a while to stop singing...
2.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
LOL Mara!

My favorite would be "Blue Christmas." It''s so sweet. And it''s a great karaoke song too (yes, I''m a dork.
41.gif
)

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite is Little Dummer Boy...I don''t really know why, I''ve just always loved the song.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
O Holy Night and my fave CD is the Home Alone soundtrack, always gets me in a festive mood!
emotion-19.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it seems impossible to pick a favorite...so many wonderful songs...such a wonderful time of the year..

aside from the 'classics' a song that really brings it all home for me is 'breath of heaven' (mary's song) by amy grant...such an amazing and moving song..
i can't even fathom what mary was feeling..

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorites are "Good King Wenceslas" because it tells a story of compassion without being preachy and "Frosty the Snowman" because it''s such a happy song and everyone can enjoy it.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Happy Christmas, war is over. Lennon

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fave Christmas song of ALL time : Carol of the Bells. I LOVE how it starts out soft and then CRESCENDOS in such a frenzied way...I still don't know a lot of the words but I just love it.

A Close Second : The Christmas Waltz ("Frosted windowpanes, candles gleaming inside, painted candy canes on the treeeeeee")...love the Carpenters version but Harry Connick's phenomenal.

Very close runners up : God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Jars of Clay does an awesome version), Baby It's Cold Outside (cheesy, but I love Nick n Jess's version), What Child is This (Vanessa Williams has a great version).

I could go on, but I'm already cheating by having 4 songs instead of 1!

ETA: Belle, I agree about Breath of Heaven - I first heard Amy Grant's version (I have her Christmas CD...somewhere) and it almost made me cry because I had never really thought about what Mary must have been thinking about the whole thing...very moving.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, my all time favorite is "O, Holy Night" and I just love the magnitude of "Fall on your Knees, and hear the angel voices!!"

What an incredible thing to experience, this choir of angels singing praises to the son of God!! I just love that song.

And my favorite more contemporary song is "Welcome to our World." It is such a simple humble song that is just so sweet.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
white X-mas
sleigh ride
12 days of X-mas
joy to world

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Little Drummer boy. Maybe it''s cheesy but I tear up everytime I hear that song.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Lorelei

O Holy Night sung by Josh Grobin - seriously gives me chills every single time I hear it

and I''m a sucker for White Christmas by the Drifters

I''m also with Hammer

Happy Christmas

is MY Christmas song because as a couple we are divided - I''m a Beatle He''s a Presley

he can have his Blue Christmas

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
hmmm. there's a lot that I like.

Let it snow
Little drummer boy
Please come home for Christmas (eagles/don henley?)

I'm also kind of stuck on various parts of the Handel's Messiah:

"wonderful counsellor, the mighty god, the everlasting father, the prince of peace"

( a friend thought the opening refrain is "come for tea" instead of "comfort ye" )

parts of The Nutcracker, as well.

Z.

ps. Oh, and the muppet version of the 12 days of Christmas - a classic!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 11:02:41 PM
Author: JCJD
O Holy Night, especially when sung by a large choir or a fantastic soprano soloist. Ooh, the chills....
36.gif
I agree...I also love this song...

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 10:53:41 AM
Author: belle
it seems impossible to pick a favorite...so many wonderful songs...such a wonderful time of the year..

aside from the ''classics'' a song that really brings it all home for me is ''breath of heaven'' (mary''s song) by amy grant...such an amazing and moving song..
i can''t even fathom what mary was feeling..

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me
This song "makes" Christmas for me...maybe I need to get out my Amy Grant tape and sing with that...I have been in a holiday funk...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I must be the grinch because I absolutely loathe all christmas music. The only "christmas" movie I can tolerate is Christmas Vacation and Love Actually...occasionally Ill watch the christmas story but frankly, I cannot deal with it. I don't know why, but it actually enrages me to hear christmas music. I cannot explain it. I think the worst christmas music of all is when bands who are SOOOOO not christmasy and "hokey" do christmas music. Like...if I hear the pretenders do a christmas song it makes me want to beat Chrissy Hynde senseless.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2005 12:57:53 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 12/19/2005 5:06:28 PM
Author: Starset Princess
I''m with Lorelei

O Holy Night sung by Josh Grobin - seriously gives me chills every single time I hear it

and I''m a sucker for White Christmas by the Drifters

I''m also with Hammer

Happy Christmas

is MY Christmas song because as a couple we are divided - I''m a Beatle He''s a Presley

he can have his Blue Christmas
I love Josh Groban''s voice. That man is incredible. I love anything he sings... :)
I third the Josh Groban sentiment! O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas song.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 10:50:35 PM
Author: MINE!!
Little Drummer Boy...

My favorite line is ''then he smiled him'' Imagine... Jesus smiling at him... or smiling at me... it gives me a chill.... knowing this boy had nothing to offer but the very same gift that God gave him...Knowing that I have nothing of value to offer Him... nothing except what he has blessed me with.... and that was and is enough...

I LOVE THIS SONG!!
Ditto, that''s exactly why I love this song! It makes me tear up.

My other favorite is silent night. I just love the way it sounds, very soothing.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2005 4:42:38 AM
Author: DeannaBana
Date: 12/18/2005 11:02:41 PM

Author: JCJD

36.gif
I agree...I also love this song...

another vote for me..my favorite..
i too love "breath of heaven"

and

White christmas

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
O Holy Night is my fave too. It reminds me of my daddy. I think he must have sung it a lot when I was little. Or maybe its his favorite.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to think about this for a while, then suddenly realized there was no contest. My favorite Christmas song is, "Dona Nobis Pacem". I have many different versions of it on my iPod (but then I have many versions of several songs on my iPod). I think it is my favorite because I sang it in the chorus in school when I was young and the harmonies awed me.

For those of you who like, "The Little Drummer Boy" (as do I), try watching the opera, "Amahl and the Night Visitors" by Gian-Carlo Menotti. There is a VHS tape of it and there are CDs of it, but nothing beats a live performance. The story takes place inside the small home of a widow and her young son. They are very poor and Amahl is lame. The, "Night Visitors" who arrive are three kings, but Amahl, who has a history of fabricating stories, cannot get his mother to believe that there are kings outside his house, following a star.

This is really a must-see as far as I am concerned! My husband and I also love, "The Messiah" by Handel and try to see it every year.

Deb

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we also say which Christmas song we HATE most????

Mine is Mistletoe and Wine by Cliff Richard, I despise that song and don't like Cliff much either. I understand Ame's musical rage when this song is inflicted on us every year
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
I could do Cliff a mischief too
emotion-39.gif
emotion-41.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I hate the most is that one Paul McCartney sings about "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time". It gives me toothaches in all my teeth at once!
14.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite is "Christmas in Hollis" by Run DMC.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My least favorite is "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." I don''t even know who sang it, but it sounds like a little kid and his voice bugs the bejesus out of me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results