shape
carat
color
clarity

Your evening bath will never be the same...

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I guess bath salts are the new way to get your high on! (Or maybe not new, but more prevalent as of late). Apparently snorting bath salts gives you a better high than PCP, meth, cocaine, heroin, you name it. They make you go out of your mind, and they are finding that permanent severe brain damage is a common side effect, as well as being whacked out of your mind and feeling like your skin is burning and melting off from the inside. Supposedly they are extremely EXTREMELY addicting, too.

Drugs, to me, are so scary. But seriously, who decides to go and snort bath salts? How do you find out that it makes you crazy high? Now I'm gonna be carded everytime I go buy bath salts becaues some crazy individuals are just...crazy.

Sorry, this post really has not point. I was just so shocked to learn about it that I figured I'd share.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I heard about this a few months ago. And I swear it was another thread here on PS....but I could be mistaken.

But, I'm with ya. WTF? Seriously? What the heck is going on in the younger generation that they need to resort to bath salts to get high???? I do think that technology plays a huge role in the youth of today. I can't even imagine how much different my life would have been in high school if I had a cell phone with a camera and texting ability....Kids these days are always looking for something new and exciting. It's so sad that they've resorted to sniffing bath salts...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say that I am relieved. I was expecting to read that something dreadful was now coming into bathtubs with the water. Or that a snake had come in through someone's bathroom faucet. I really don't need any more trouble in my own life right now. Sometimes the only places I can find respite are in a book or are in the bathtub. Twice this month I have actually had the luxury of having this extremely cramped, crowded, and untidy little house to myself. On both occasions I took a shower (to get off the dirt); followed by a long bath with bubble bath; followed by another shower. Due to the time I spent in the bathtub there was even enough hot water if I wanted to use all hot water for showers and bath!

I know this may seem like a lot of personal information, but no one can know how important these simple pleasures are to me! My life is pretty much like life in an insane asylum and it is so nice to relax. I am thanking the good powers of the universe for not putting anything bad into my bathwater!

Deb
:read:

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I was thrown for a loop the first time I heard that too, but "bath salts" is actually a euphemism for a stimulant drug: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPV. People aren't actually snorting real bath salts.

*"The more you know..."

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess it won't affect my bath time since I'm not retarded enough to snort ANYTHING lol. It is sad that people feel so desperate to get high off of things.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Selkie|1310342969|2966132 said:
I was thrown for a loop the first time I heard that too, but "bath salts" is actually a euphemism for a stimulant drug: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPV. People aren't actually snorting real bath salts.

*"The more you know..."

Hmm from that wiki entry it seems like they are indeed bath salts. Off to google!

DF-please don't use the phrase "retarded" in that way ::)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
fiery|1310350766|2966205 said:
Hmm from that wiki entry it seems like they are indeed bath salts. Off to google!

They actually do call them bath salts so they can legally sell them, but they really aren't. From WebMD:
Why are they called bath salts?

"It’s confusing. Is this what we put in our bathtubs, like Epsom salts? No. But by marketing them as bath salts and labeling them 'not for human consumption,' they have been able to avoid them being specifically enumerated as illegal," Horowitz says. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/bath-salts-drug-dangers

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Lil Misfit|1310340421|2966107 said:
I heard about this a few months ago. And I swear it was another thread here on PS....but I could be mistaken.

But, I'm with ya. WTF? Seriously? What the heck is going on in the younger generation that they need to resort to bath salts to get high???? I do think that technology plays a huge role in the youth of today. I can't even imagine how much different my life would have been in high school if I had a cell phone with a camera and texting ability....Kids these days are always looking for something new and exciting. It's so sad that they've resorted to sniffing bath salts...

I hear ya... Off subject with the post but related to what you mentioned with cell phones and technology- I found a site that mentioned a few pretty funny things that today's youth would never experience. Playing the Oregon Trail in school was one, and listening to the sound of dial-up connection was another. I'm still relatively young, so those things are pretty fresh in my mind, but teenagers now have no idea what that stuff is!

I'm noticing that people just don't want to settle for anything less than INSTANT gratification.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1310341715|2966116 said:
I have to say that I am relieved. I was expecting to read that something dreadful was now coming into bathtubs with the water. Or that a snake had come in through someone's bathroom faucet. I really don't need any more trouble in my own life right now. Sometimes the only places I can find respite are in a book or are in the bathtub. Twice this month I have actually had the luxury of having this extremely cramped, crowded, and untidy little house to myself. On both occasions I took a shower (to get off the dirt); followed by a long bath with bubble bath; followed by another shower. Due to the time I spent in the bathtub there was even enough hot water if I wanted to use all hot water for showers and bath!

I know this may seem like a lot of personal information, but no one can know how important these simple pleasures are to me! My life is pretty much like life in an insane asylum and it is so nice to relax. I am thanking the good powers of the universe for not putting anything bad into my bathwater!

Deb

Sorry Deb! Keep enjoying your shower/bath/shower. Just keep the bath salts out of your nose! :knockout:

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Selkie- Thanks for the info.

I actually started this post because we've had a few patient's admitted lately for snorting bath salts. Like the kind you go to the store and buy for your bathtub. I never would have thought that bath salts could do this to a person. And I still can't figure out why a person would even try to begin with.

I'll check out your link, though!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
fiery|1310350766|2966205 said:
Selkie|1310342969|2966132 said:

*"The more you know..."

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Stupid would have been better I suppose. :wacko:

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I came across some crazy, somewhat related information a few weeks ago - apparently, teenagers (and others, too) are now taking vodka shots through their EYES?! I can't imagine the pain and redness, irritation, and complications that it causes!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive heard about the bath salts thing,the vodka thing is new to me,but who has heard about the air conditioner high...from a news reporting my area a few days ago...seems that teens are breaking into commercial size air conditioning systems behind businesses and churches and snorting/inhaling the freon gas from the conditioner!the high lasts about 20 minutes and is extremely toxic.The report said that it does as much as $10,000 damage to the air conditioning system and many businesses and churches are having to buy an expensive lock box gadget to secure the system from break ins.What will people think of next for a thrill? :shock:

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
shihtzulover|1310398860|2966488 said:
I came across some crazy, somewhat related information a few weeks ago - apparently, teenagers (and others, too) are now taking vodka shots through their EYES?! I can't imagine the pain and redness, irritation, and complications that it causes!
What?!?!? That's really quite ridiculous...

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
jewelerman|1310406514|2966588 said:
Ive heard about the bath salts thing,the vodka thing is new to me,but who has heard about the air conditioner high...from a news reporting my area a few days ago...seems that teens are breaking into commercial size air conditioning systems behind businesses and churches and snorting/inhaling the freon gas from the conditioner!the high lasts about 20 minutes and is extremely toxic.The report said that it does as much as $10,000 damage to the air conditioning system and many businesses and churches are having to buy an expensive lock box gadget to secure the system from break ins.What will people think of next for a thrill? :shock:
Dear Lord. I've heard of people stealing central AC units because they can sell the parts (or whatever), but this is new to me. And also highly disturbing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have wrote about this before. K2 Spice is the drug people are getting high on. It is LEGAL to sell it as non-editable soaked in K2 Spice disguised as bath salts, incense, etc in many states. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20101124/k2-spice-legal-highs-illegal If your state hasn't banned K2 Spice, you can simply go to the gas station and BUY it. That's frightening. If your state has not banned the sale of K2 Spice write your congress person.

Inhalant drug use is a major problem. If any of you work in a middle school or are raising a middle schooler you should be aware of the signs. It is a QUICK and CHEAP high. It is extremely dangerous but easy to get. There are 100s of ways to get high from your local grocery store. The two main things that are issues for young adults are huffing off fumes (ex. gas or paint) to get high or getting high off of how the bottle is made ( ex. keyboard cleaner or room freshener).

The vodka is a new. Any articles?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1310652565|2968730 said:
I have wrote about this before. K2 Spice is the drug people are getting high on. It is LEGAL to sell it as non-editable soaked in K2 Spice disguised as bath salts, incense, etc in many states. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20101124/k2-spice-legal-highs-illegal If your state hasn't banned K2 Spice, you can simply go to the gas station and BUY it. That's frightening. If your state has not banned the sale of K2 Spice write your congress person.

Inhalant drug use is a major problem. If any of you work in a middle school or are raising a middle schooler you should be aware of the signs. It is a QUICK and CHEAP high. It is extremely dangerous but easy to get. There are 100s of ways to get high from your local grocery store. The two main things that are issues for young adults are huffing off fumes (ex. gas or paint) to get high or getting high off of how the bottle is made ( ex. keyboard cleaner or room freshener).

The vodka is a new. Any articles
?

I can't stress this enough. I did a second bachelors degree so I was about four years older than my classmates. The differences in youth and substance abuse in those four years was staggering. When I was 18, we tried to buy alcohol with fake ID (legal age is 19) and some people were smoking pot. The new 18 year olds were avoiding alcohol and traditional drugs. However, they were having "sniffing parties" where people brought glue, paint thinner, whiteout and markers. Everyone was doing it. They thought this was fine because these things "aren't real drugs." I was horrified when a classmate invited me to an engineering themed sniffing party in one of the dorms. I couldn't believe supposedly intelligent people did that. I remember some people sniffing markers when I was seven or eight, mainly because the parents made such a big deal out of it. I didn't realize older people did that stuff. I think I offered to buy the guy vodka if he promised not to sniff anything anymore. He didn't want it...good thing because now I would be picturing him pouring it in his eyes.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chemgirl, it is a real problem and highly dangerous. Kids are attracted to it b/c it is cheap, easily attainable, and a short high (hide from parents). The problem is b/c it is such a short high, kids huff and huff repeatedly and often pass out. It kills brain cells, strains the heart, not to mention damages nasal passages and lungs.

I did some googling, seems pouring vodka in the eyes is more of a dare than a means to get drunk. I couldn't see how it would get them drunk faster (oral consumption is faster than skin absorption, though I have no idea about eyes). Just goes to show you the poor decisions people make while under the influence. So sad.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prana-

Thank you for this thread! I might not have noticed this article in, "The New York Times" today had you not started it.

Here is an excerpt:

"Dr. Jeffrey J. Narmi could not believe what he was seeing this spring in the emergency room at Schuylkill Medical Center in Pottsville, Pa.: people arriving so agitated, violent and psychotic that a small army of medical workers was needed to hold them down.

They had taken new stimulant drugs that people are calling 'bath salts,' and sometimes even large doses of sedatives failed to quiet them.

'There were some who were admitted overnight for treatment and subsequently admitted to the psych floor upstairs,' Dr. Narmi said. 'These people were completely disconnected from reality and in a very bad place.'

Similar reports are emerging from hospitals around the country, as doctors scramble to figure out the best treatment for people high on bath salts. The drugs started turning up regularly in the United States last year and have proliferated in recent months, alarming doctors, who say they have unusually dangerous and long-lasting effects.

Though they come in powder and crystal form like traditional bath salts — hence their name — they differ in one crucial way: they are used as recreational drugs. People typically snort, inject or smoke them.

Poison control centers around the country received 3,470 calls about bath salts from January through June, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, up from 303 in all of 2010.

'Some of these folks aren’t right for a long time,' said Karen E. Simone, director of the Northern New England Poison Center. 'If you gave me a list of drugs that I wouldn’t want to touch, this would be at the top.'

At least 28 states have banned bath salts, which are typically sold for $25 to $50 per 50-milligram packet at convenience stores and head shops under names like Aura, Ivory Wave, Loco-Motion and Vanilla Sky. Most of the bans are in the South and the Midwest, where the drugs have grown quickly in popularity. But states like Maine, New Jersey and New York have also outlawed them after seeing evidence that their use was spreading.

The cases are jarring and similar to those involving PCP in the 1970s. Some of the recent incidents include a man in Indiana who climbed a roadside flagpole and jumped into traffic, a man in Pennsylvania who broke into a monastery and stabbed a priest, and a woman in West Virginia who scratched herself “to pieces” over several days because she thought there was something under her skin.

'She looked like she had been dragged through a briar bush for several miles,' said Dr. Owen M. Lander, an emergency room doctor at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W.Va.

Bath salts contain manmade chemicals like mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV, also known as substituted cathinones. Both drugs are related to khat, an organic stimulant found in Arab and East African countries that is illegal in the United States.

They are similar to so-called synthetic marijuana, which has also caused a surge in medical emergencies and been banned in a number of states. In March, the Drug Enforcement Administration used emergency powers to temporarily ban five chemicals used in synthetic marijuana, which is sold in the same types of shops as bath salts.

Shortly afterward, Senator Bob Casey, Democrat of Pennsylvania, asked the agency to enact a similar ban on the chemicals in bath salts. It has not done so, although Gary Boggs, a special agent at D.E.A. headquarters in Washington, said the agency had started looking into whether to make MDPV and mephedrone controlled Schedule I drugs like heroin and ecstasy.

Mr. Casey said in a recent interview that he was frustrated by the lack of a temporary ban. 'There has to be some authority that is not being exercised,' he said. 'I’m not fully convinced they can’t take action in a way that’s commensurate with the action taken at the state level.'

Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, introduced federal legislation in February to classify bath salts as controlled Schedule I substances, but it remains in committee. Meanwhile, the drugs remain widely available on the Internet, and experts say the state bans can be thwarted by chemists who need change only one molecule in salts to make them legal again.

And while some states with bans have seen fewer episodes involving bath salts, others where they remain fully legal, like Arizona, are starting to see a surge of cases.

Dr. Frank LoVecchio, an emergency room doctor at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, said he had to administer general anesthesia in recent weeks to bath salt users so agitated that they did not respond to large doses of sedatives.

Dr. Justin Strittmatter, an emergency room doctor at the Gulf Coast Medical Center in Panama City, Fla., said he had treated one man whose temperature had shot up to 107.5 degrees after snorting bath salts. 'You could fry an egg on his forehead,' Dr. Strittmatter said.

Other doctors described dangerously elevated blood pressure and heart rates and people so agitated that their muscles started to break down, releasing chemicals that led to kidney failure.

Mark Ryan, the director of the Louisiana Poison Center, said some doctors had turned to powerful antipsychotics to calm users after sedatives failed. 'If you take the worst attributes of meth, coke, PCP, LSD and ecstasy and put them together,' he said, 'that’s what we’re seeing sometimes.'

Dr. Ryan added, 'Some people who used it back in November or December, their family members say they’re still experiencing noticeable paranoid tendencies that they did not have prior.'

Before hitting this country, bath salts swept Britain, which banned them in April 2010. Experts say much of the supply is coming from China and India, where chemical manufacturers have less government oversight.

They are labeled 'not for human consumption,' which helps them skirt the federal Analog Act, under which any substance 'substantially similar' to a banned drug is deemed illegal if it is intended for consumption.

Last month, the drug agency made its first arrests involving bath salts under the Analog Act through a special task force in New York. Undercover agents bought bath salts from stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn, where clerks discussed how to ingest them and boasted that they would not show up on a drug test.

'We were sending out a message that if you’re going to sell these bath salts, it’s a violation and we will be looking at you,' said John P. Gilbride, special agent in charge of the New York field division of the D.E.A.

The authorities in Alton, Ill., are looking at the Analog Act as they prepare to file criminal charges in the death of a woman who overdosed on bath salts bought at a liquor store in April.

'We think we can prove that these folks were selling it across the counter for the purposes of humans getting high,' said Chief David Hayes of the Alton police.

Chief Hayes and other law enforcement officials said they had been shocked by how quickly bath salts turned into a major problem. 'I have never seen a drug that took off as fast as this one,' Chief Hayes said. Others said some people on the drugs could not be subdued with pepper spray or even Tasers.

Chief Joseph H. Murton of the Pottsville police said the number of bath salt cases had dropped significantly since the city banned the drugs last month. But before the ban, he said, the episodes were overwhelming the police and two local hospitals.

'We had two instances in particular where they were acting out in a very violent manner and they were Tasered and it had no effect,' he said. 'One was only a small female, but it took four officers to hold her down, along with two orderlies. That’s how out of control she was.'

A version of this article appeared in print on July 17, 2011, on page A1 of the New York edition with the headline: 'An Alarming New Stimulant, Sold Legally in Many States.' "

Link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/us/17salts.html?_r=1&hp

Deb/AGBF

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
This is all truly horrific. I guess kids think that if they aren't told not to do something (that it is bad for them), they assume it's good. Truth is there are probably a lot of worse things than the things they are typically told "not to do." Such a shame! What a nightmare for parents as I'm sure it's impossible to keep up with everything your child does.

I remember going to a slumber party when I was in my early teens. Someone mentioned that if you push on someone's else's chest really hard, you can make them faint. So they tried doing it to each other. I didn't participate and, looking back, that could have been really dangerous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results