shape
carat
color
clarity

Young girl gets "engaged" at school...funny!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so funny. Something tells me Tommy's mom probably wasn't too amused when she found out. That Tommy is one smart kid.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: This actually happened to us too! At four, my daughter came home engaged and had a gigantic emerald-cut red 'gemstone' ring with a 'diamond' halo and 'diamond' encrusted split shank.... I looked at it from a distance and played along, thinking this kid has good taste, went for a real-looking kid's dress-up ring over a lollipop or rainbow loom version. A few weeks later she was playing with it under different lighting, and damned if the diamonds weren't glittering away like crazy! Let me take a closer look at that, I said. Hmmm, kinda heavy, not plastic. Those aren't plastic diamonds...or iridescent beads...or CZs..... But, they can't be real diamonds even though damned if they don't look it. Now thinking this is costume jewelry vs. plastic dispenser jewelry (only bc my brain couldn't yet grasp that this could be REAL despite all the evidence right in front of me), I go get my loupe, and.... Oh Crap.

Email the mom... yup, her most precious family heirloom ring had gone missing about the time my daughter became 'engaged'!! OMG, rushed that ring right on over to her!! :shock: :oops:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^ :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
rainydaze|1479561810|4100519 said:
:lol: This actually happened to us too! At four, my daughter came home engaged and had a gigantic emerald-cut red 'gemstone' ring with a 'diamond' halo and 'diamond' encrusted split shank.... I looked at it from a distance and played along, thinking this kid has good taste, went for a real-looking kid's dress-up ring over a lollipop or rainbow loom version. A few weeks later she was playing with it under different lighting, and damned if the diamonds weren't glittering away like crazy! Let me take a closer look at that, I said. Hmmm, kinda heavy, not plastic. Those aren't plastic diamonds...or iridescent beads...or CZs..... But, they can't be real diamonds even though damned if they don't look it. Now thinking this is costume jewelry vs. plastic dispenser jewelry (only bc my brain couldn't yet grasp that this could be REAL despite all the evidence right in front of me), I go get my loupe, and.... Oh Crap.

Email the mom... yup, her most precious family heirloom ring had gone missing about the time my daughter became 'engaged'!! OMG, rushed that ring right on over to her!! :shock: :oops:
Rofl that is funny!!!!!
The video cracked me up.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1479561810|4100519 said:

Oh my goodness, rainydaze! What did she say?! I guess this is a nice little reminder to keep the good stuff away from the littles!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it's like time stopped a little. We were both equally stunned and cracked up by it. We had a good chuckle, she was so glad to have it back, and yet a little concerned too. We chatted a bit about how to handle it - it's not like he did anything deliberately wrong, but he needed to understand the gravity of what he did. She talked about the delicacy of that.

PS - Yeah, this thread got me thinking of all the posts where someone has lost their ring and is asking for help finding it. I may start asking if they have kids, and if so, suggesting checking in with them about any pending engagements!! :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say though, watching it I felt bad for their daughter. I think their reactions would be confusing and scary to her. And recording it and sharing it with the world could add embarrassment and shame to that.

My daughter physically froze in response to my initial reaction, and her expression told me I needed to check myself and explain things to her. I did, and it helped, but she had a dazed look on her face for the rest of the day. She was just too young to understand why this was so urgent and funny even after I explained it. And it was really hard to help her understand why this gift wasn't okay and we had to give it back, when usually giving and receiving gifts is a good thing.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't click on the link at work, but a similar thing happened to me. Many years ago my diamond anniversary ring went missing. This is when my oldest was 4 or 5. Anyways I was going frantic, and about a week or so later my friend whose daughter plays with mine, stops by to drop off a "play ring" that she discovered that her daughter borrowed. Was in shock, was my anniversary ring. I guess even kids like the good stuff! This prompted me to get a locking jewelry box bc kids wanted to "play" with my jewelry.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results