shape
carat
color
clarity

you won''t believe this - advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Sorry this is so long . .

On Saturday I was shopping with a friend at the Stanford Shopping Center (Silicon Valley, CA - very upscale mall). I decided to stop in at a jewelry store to ask about having my ring sized since it becomes a little loose when I get cold. I wasn''t planning on having anything done to it, I just wanted to know my options for when I could finally get the place where my ering was purchased and have the e-ring and wedding band sized together.

The seemingly nice sales man began telling me about sizing beads, etc. Then he asked if he could take my ring to the back to see what the jeweler suggested. BIG MISTAKE. Keep in mind that this is just an inquiry, I didn''t ask for nor authorize a thing to be done to my ring.

A couple of minutes later, the sales man returned. My ring was mangled. There were small "hammer" marks on the bottom of the ring and it was cracked where it had supposedly been sized (as far as I know, the ring was made it my size). What the jeweler was trying to do is make the ring into a "comfort fit" shape. I looked at him in disbelief. I cannot believe someone would have touched my ring without getting permission first. Call me old-fashioned, but I am someone who believes that the circle of the ring represents never ending love, and would never purchase a comfort fit band unless there was no alternative.

I insisted that the ring be returned to its orginal condition immediately. By this time I was sweaty and shaky, on the verge of tears. I didn''t realize how much this ring meant to me until then. I was promised that the ring would be returned to its original condition. About 1/2 hour later, I returned to the store. My ring looked like new, though the bottom feels thinner and it looks a little lopsided though my friends say its all in my head.

So, here''s where you come in.

At the very least, I plan to take the ring back to where I purchased it, though it won''t be until I get back from my trip to see my fiance (Nov. 1). I''ll ask them to check the integrity of the prongs and metal, and have both the e-ring and wedding band properly sized. I will send the bill to the owner of the store that mangled my ring.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should write in my letter to the store owner, and/or if I have any legal recourse for this wrong? I absolutely cannot believe that someone would touch a ring that they were not authroized to work on.

Should I try to meet personally with the owner? Try to get the sales man and jeweler fired? Report them to the better business bureau? Please help! I feel like my property was damaged, and just plain violated.

Thanks in advance,
NS

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
speaking as someone who has written many of these letters...I suggest some of the following tips on a P.O. letter:

1) I would make sure you document everything in writing, bills, receipts, even sending all correspondence via registered mail, return receipt requested...

2) Always address the letter to the hghest person on the food chain. Owner, president, etc. If they can't help you no one will, and it's better than wasting your time having it sent from clerk to manager to owner...

3) I would say that to permit any wor to be done on your personal property you would have had to:

a) authorize some specificed action and have discussed this action and your approval, if it was not in writing.

b) get at least a down payment or a deposit for such work, even begin the transaction paperwork.

c) wirtten or verbal consent

4) be concise, not wordy. Give facts in a quick and adequate summary as they happened.

5) Offer a very firm solution, like you will reimburse me for the work I had to do in order to FIX the damage done to my ring.

6) Threaten lightly, as most people don't like threats and better respond to rational people who say here's what you did, fix it or I will file a complaint with the better business bureau, or the Jewelers Vigilance Committee (http://www.jvclegal.org/)

7) Make sure to include a deadline, and request an action be followed through with the reported to you. Like, "I would like to know what further steps you take in order to ensure this does not happen to other customers in the future."

Again, end with a positive "we can work this out like two rational human beings beause I am right and you know you are wrong" attitude, and if that nice letter doesn't do it, I have a recipe for Evil letter which basically goes out before my lawyer calls them...
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

Good luck and let us know how it goes!! Don't forget to check to make sure you still have your original diamond!!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I have shopped in several jewelry stores in this center. Can you post which one it was, or at least PM me with that info, as I want to avoid any store that is that irresponsible!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I'm curious as well...as myself and friends shop at the Stanford stores all the time. Also one of them which is a pretty popular store, my appraiser knows the owner, so I'd be curious to hear which one it is.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really sorry you had to go through this mortifying situation.
cry.gif

I'd go straight to the top first (the owner). Ferget the rest of them. I've learned that talking things through first is always better than putting things in writing. If that doesn't work, then yes, definitely put EVERYTHING down.

This situation is totally unacceptable.
angryfire.gif
Good luck in resolving it.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
NewShiny,

I am sorry for all your trouble, and every one has given good advise regarding who to talk to and how to write the letter.

I am, however, surprised that you would let them leave your sight with your ring. Maybe I find it hard to trust people, but I don't even let a strange (to me that is) jewelry store clean my jewelry, even if the cleaning machine is in plain view.

I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Let us know how it turns out.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your kind advice so far. Nicrez, while I am no stranger to writing these kinds of letters myself, this situation is new to me and you provided some excellent pointers.

I don't feel comfortable sharing which store it was quite yet. Let me see what kind of response I get and will share the outcome and store name once the situation is resolved.

Icelady, you are right, and I learned a very good lesson. I trusted this store based on its location, and should not have done so. I could not imagine the possibility that someone would touch my ring without authorization - wouldn't they want to charge for such things? The ring will never come off my finger in a store again unless I know the jeweler.

FYI, the diamond is mine, no worries there. I already know my diamonds "personality", and made sure as I drove home that the sparkly light pattern made against my car when the diamond is exposed to the sun was the same, and I looked at the diamond in the store w/ a loupe when I got it back and found its "birthmark" inclusion to make sure it was mine.

Thanks again,
NS

seeking_jubilee

Rough_Rock
NewShiny,

Sounds like the store tried to dupe you. That you are the customer, I would not let them rest until they had the ring back to it's ORIGINAL condition, or at least until you were satisfied with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results