shape
carat
color
clarity

you girls ever got one those mine is bigger than yours ..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kind of "look" from one of your friends?.today my wife and i went out for lunch with one of her friend and she grab my wife's ring (1.15 ct) putting it next to her's (i think she said hers is a 1.7 ct) i know what she was thinking by way she looks "mine is bigger than yours".i don't understand some people always comparing things
38.gif
so rude
29.gif

p.s. if my wife wasn't there and she flash it in front of my face, i would tell her to take that (NO SPARKLE P.O.S) and shove it up her hummm....
31.gif
J/K......i don't have the guts to say it.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, LOL, little does she know that your wife ALSO has a 3+ carat one TOO. Shame on her.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Right after I got engaged, we were at a party with other couples. I knew this other girl had recently gotten engaged. She was NOT one of my favorite people...very loud and obnoxious. Well she noticed that our rings were similar. And another girl there had one very similar. Now, back in 1979, almost everyone had yellow gold solitaires so this was NOT unusual. Anyway, this Mary Beth asked to see our rings so we took ours off and handed them over and she proceeded to call everyone over to see how amazing it was. She put the three rings right next to each other. Our rings were almost exactly ALIKE! (Except for the fact that her diamond was the biggest.)
20.gif

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Wow....how rude.

I am in agreement with cflutist......bring out the big guns (your wife''s 3.34ct)!!!
Can you please start a thread with her rings so we can all drool????

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, puhleease we would love to see them!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Did you guys miss this?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2005 9:40
6.gif
1 PM
Author: cflutist
DF, LOL, little does she know that your wife ALSO has a 3+ carat one TOO. Shame on her.
cflutist

believe me, if this lady think she has something better than ours we will never hear the end of it.
11.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get that look frequently though most often from someone with a hideous crack rock of a stone. I think the most irritating one was from my cousin. She really didn''t care about the guy, just the ring, and after her flashing of it and obsession with showing it off he finally figured out she wasn''t good enough for him. HE was cool, unfortunately for my bloodline she is not.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! Ame, are you lurking in my family??? That sounds like one of MY cousins!!
20.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
You call that a friend?

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

Yeah – my friend and I got engaged around the same time, and when we first saw each other she grabbed my hand and held it next to hers to see whose was bigger. Then she held mine up and tried to look for inclusions. She does this every time I’m with her, looks really deep into the stone at different angles. I’m like, “Whatever”. I think our stones are the same size, I don’t know, I didn’t really try to compare. But her’s is very pretty too! I don’t understand the need for comparison!

My other friend asked how much my fi spent, and what the specs were on my stone, etc. And then told me how much hers was and what her specs were.. Weird, because on here that would be totally acceptable, but in real life, in person, and in front of FI, I would never ask or tell such a thing.

Then she cracked on my cousin, who has a 2 ct but it’s not a great stone. Who cares! Some want bigger instead of better, some want quality instead of size. Some have enough to get both, or all they want, and some just want a really great husband and happen to get a great ring!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 10:30:59 AM
Author: IrishEyes
LOL! Ame, are you lurking in my family??? That sounds like one of MY cousins!!
20.gif
I just like that he dumped her and took the ring back to where he bought it within a month of proposing. He knew she waso nly after that.

aeli

Rough_Rock
This has only happened to me once, and from one of the last people I would have expected. The first piece of significant jewelry my fiance''s mother had ever gotten was a pair of diamond stud earrings. She knew from the start that when the time came, she wanted each of her two sons to use these diamonds to propose to their future wives. My fiance''s brother had his stone set on his own (platinum 4 prong solitaire), but when my fiance told his father of his plans to propose, his father insisted on getting the stone set for us and got a 14k gold 6 prong solitaire (per his late wife''s specific instructions). Well, the first time I met my fiance''s sister-in-law, she immediately asked to see my ring. She said something like, "Hmmm...they''re kind of the same, but mine is platinum and yours is only gold, and my stone is so much more sparkly" (the stones were the same size, but there was a huge difference in quality).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
it never ceases to amaze me how rude people can be... i have a "friend" whom i could see doing something like that when i get my e-ring. TACKY!

some people have no class at all, honestly... wonder what kind of parents these people have?!?!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I get this all the time
20.gif
being that my ring is around a carat smaller than those in my husband''s circle of friends. Doesn''t bother me a jot. I can spot the tinges of yellow in theirs a mile off
31.gif

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
A friend who I met for coffee, saw me one day wearing my 2.50 moissanite studs, and commented, how beautiful my studs were(in this lighting they were GORGEOUS)! The studs are 1.25 ct per stone, and are lovely, but in certain light(outside) they do not look as nice....as you can see a little green tint. She had seen me wearing these in less forgiving light at other times, and I know she had to have seen the green.(I never told her they were not diamonds) Well 6 months later we go out for lunch for her birthday, and she is wearing a 1 carat total weight (.50) per ear princess studs. I immediately told her how beautiful they were, and how excited she had to be to get them from her husband for her birthday. She then kept saying, "Ron would of bought me larger stones, but I didnt want larger stones, I wanted the best quality. She said this at least two times, in a different way each time. Then she kept telling me they were "flawless" very high quality diamonds, the very best.
I never have felt a sense of envy from her until then. I almost felt like she was apologizing or making excuses for not having larger stones like mine. At the same time I felt like she was not thinking about how her comments would make me feel. It changed my relationship with her. No other person has ever said something like that to me. The friend I thought I had was not. To this day she does not know they are moissanite!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 9:44:46 PM
Author: Patty
.. Anyway, this Mary Beth asked to see our rings so we took ours off and handed them over and she proceeded to call everyone over to see how amazing it was. She put the three rings right next to each other. Our rings were almost exactly ALIKE! (Except for the fact that her diamond was the biggest.)
20.gif

my FI told me not to take off my ering - for this express reason! If they wanna ''admire'' it, they can do it... on my hand!! and I quite agree!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Mine''s a .91 which is considered quite big and I think I have the largest amongst my circle of friends and acquaintances. A friend got engaged recently and I think it was about .70 with with chanel set side stones. When she showed it to me, I squealed because it was gorgeous. I told her how much I loved it, even more so because the side stones really looked great! It not''s the size of the diamond - it''s the beauty of it that gets me excited.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
we probably all have a story like this...when I got engaged to my former husband we were 23, I was just out of college & he was supporting us both. He had a beautiful ring designed for me with a .75ct center stone and side stones. We had been together for 6 years at that point so it was long time coming...my best friend met her future husband six months before they got engaged and he proposed with a very large solitaire. needless to say, as much as I loved my ring I did feel uncomfortable when she would hold her hand out for us to compare....

a couple of months later we were browsing in the jewelry store where her former BF had purchased jewelry for her and my fiance had been known to shop on special occasions. The jeweler knew us both and commented on what a beautiful ring I had, wanted to know who had designed it, blah, blah, blah..
Not wanting my friend to feel left-out, I said "oh my ring is nothing, look at hers" He glanced down, called us kidders and said "you can''t pass that fake off on me!" Ouch!!!!!

in the end, her Fiance said he was ripped off, that the stone was switched and by the wedding the ring was replaced with another larger diamond. What I found sad was that after that she spoke about upgrading constantly and when I asked her how she could just get rid of ring #2 she said that after the "fake" incident even the new ring didn''t mean much
8.gif
Thank God her marriage turned out to be great!!!!

p.s. I wish I still had my ring- the diamonds were beautiful, but bills beckoned after the divorce

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I''m sorry. It would have been nice to still have your beautiful ring.
8.gif

Most of my friends have small stones or none at all. My one friend got a new princess cut e-ring last year. It''s pretty but not a great stone and it''s 1/3 ct. I told her how beautiful I thought it was and she proceeded to tell me it was a 1/2 ct. It was amusing because she handed it to me to look at and the carat weight is engraved inside the band. I would never dream of insulting her or her ring, so I didn''t say anything. Once I got my .52 ct ideal diamond she stopped wearing hers around me. I never did anything to make her feel bad, so I just don''t get it. Everyone should be happy with their own ring and with their guy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone should be happy with their own ring and with their guy.
Everyone should be happy with their rings. I''m so glad my best friend and I have center stones that are the exact same size
1.gif
Hers is an antique ring and is set in a fish-tail box setting and mine is set in a four-prong solitaire setting so they look totally different, yet are equally beautiful.
2.gif

I''ve only had one person look for inclusions in my ring. This was right after I became engaged, in my early 20s, and it was a friend of mine who comes from a very wealthy family that sat there studying my ring under a light. She was weird at the time, though, as she liked to pretend to be poor and use to hid the fact that her parents provided her income every month.
20.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have my wedding set from my first marriage either. This is embarrasing & soo ecologically unsound(some poor fish probably choked) - but I dropped the rings off the Berkeley Pier into the bay after the divorce was final. I was only 21 then.

re: female competition. This was actually when I still had my garnet e-ring(I wasn''t sure I even wanted a diamond engagement ring this time. Yes. *sacrilege*). We went to dinner with another two couples and one girl grabbed my hand to see if my wedding band had diamonds(In certain light, the tiny floral engraving flashes). She seemed disappointed, very "tsk tsk - poor girl". This is the wife of one of dh''s good friends, so it''s only a matter of time before we cross paths again. grin.
27.gif

Up to that point, I''d thought she was pretty nice but this sort of bugged me.

To their credit, they have great ''his and hers'' wide wedding bands(platinum?) with a burnished-set diamond in the center. If I remember correctly his(wider band) was about .10 hers(thinner band) aprx .30. Very modern, clean, & haute gamme.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
One of my FI''s best friends now ex girlfriend was like that she had to compete on EVERYTHING she then proceeded to attempt to blalame me for her being broke cause she spent all her cash trying to keep up. We earn aroud the same wage it''s just that I save my cash for my jewellery and my holidays and that''s about all I really spend on. She spends on clothes, shoes and nights out all the time and wonders where her cash goes and gets upset that as she doesn''t save she ends up with huge debts trying to have everything at once.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 10:40:23 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

I''ve only had one person look for inclusions in my ring. This was right after I became engaged, in my early 20s, and it was a friend of mine who comes from a very wealthy family that sat there studying my ring under a light. She was weird at the time, though, as she liked to pretend to be poor and use to hid the fact that her parents provided her income every month.
20.gif
I can be guilty of this... not friends (none of em are engaged) but with my Sis'' my mums and my mother in law to be... not so much looking for inclusions, just they let me look at their ring under the loupe to see what i say about em... out of curiosity - indulging the weird guy
2.gif
like putting my mums under the light scope, showed up some brilliant arrows... which was a suprise to them, made her happy when i said about it looking like it was well cut. - difficult to see cos it is a 10-15 point diamond, but its still there - 8 little arrows. and with my mother in law to be''s ring, she knows theres an inclusion in it (a 1/2ct princess), as it was appraised a couple of years ago for insurance, and they told her about the inclusion, and was interested to see if it could be seen under the scope, but nowt to see.

and with my sis'' its a 4 stone 18k bezel 2x 20pts and 2 ~5pts and on one of the 20pt theres a small tick of an inclusion visable with a loupe under the centre of the table - pointed it out to her, saying think of it as a birthmark... a way of recognising it - something unique to that one rock.

Tho i do sometimes worry that she paid alot for it (£1200), as they do seem a little on the yellow side - but i dont know if that might be something to do with the bezel set 18k gold, that the yellow is simply coming from reflecting the colour of the metal around it. but somehow they seem to blend in with the ring, rather than stand out white against the metal. But she loves it, so thats the important bit
1.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
20.gif
My friend and I both have larger than normal stones for around here and a mutual friend of ours commented to us one day that when she gets engaged her''s will have to be bigger than both of ours combined so she could feel more special. Needless to say we haven''t seen her since. Very rude comment to make, if you ask me.
20.gif
20.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing new for us guys we hear that all the time :) So, hear it more then others :)

(mines bigger then yours)

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 9:25
6.gif
6 AM
Author: Iceman
Nothing new for us guys we hear that all the time :) So, hear it more then others :)

LMAO

Remember Ice: It''s not quantity, it''s Quality!
31.gif
11.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.gif
6 AM

HI:

Sounds familiar. My huibby is 6''4" and people always say..............
2.gif
41.gif

cheers--Sharon

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 10
6.gif
6.gif
2 AM
Author: canuk-gal

6.gif
6 AM

HI:

Sounds familiar. My huibby is 6''4'' and people always say..............
2.gif
41.gif

cheers--Sharon
face3.gif
emembarrassed.gif
lol

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 3:42:50 AM
Author: Lord Summerisle

I can be guilty of this... not friends (none of em are engaged) but with my Sis'' my mums and my mother in law to be... not so much looking for inclusions, just they let me look at their ring under the loupe to see what i say about em... out of curiosity - indulging the weird guy
2.gif
like putting my mums under the light scope, showed up some brilliant arrows... which was a suprise to them, made her happy when i said about it looking like it was well cut. - difficult to see cos it is a 10-15 point diamond, but its still there - 8 little arrows. and with my mother in law to be''s ring, she knows theres an inclusion in it (a 1/2ct princess), as it was appraised a couple of years ago for insurance, and they told her about the inclusion, and was interested to see if it could be seen under the scope, but nowt to see.
I''ve also looked at my friend''s ring with my loop. . .but there''s a difference between playing around because one is totally obsessed like all us here are and simply looking *hoping* to find inclusions and/or something wrong. Like for example, my best friend knows I have a loop and she lets me clean and look at her ring whenever the occasion fits. In fact, she appreciates me cleaning it as she always forgets to do so
2.gif
, but aside from her, i''ve never looked at any other jewelry up close due to the types of relationships I have with other diamond-wearing ladies and/or due to the circumstances surrounding their stones.

This whole looking at/questioning another diamond is a tricky issue and you have to tread carefully. I was at Yankee candle and the gal ringing me up had on a marquise cut that was at least 1.5 carats and the thing was literally on fire. I commented on it and asked about it and she blew me off as she had NO idea anything about it as it was just passed down from her MIL. Her behaviour came across like this isn''t the funnest of topics for her, so I am starting to realize based on siutations like that one that us here ARE weird, lol, and it''s not normal to discuss rings with any old person that has a huge stone spanning the length of their finger!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results