shape
carat
color
clarity

you ever heard of registering for these?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
In talks with mother, fiancee was told to register at Sears for major appliances like ovens and fridges and stuff. I have never heard of registering for these types of things! Kitchen things yes, but like blenders and stuff. I asked him, "would anybody at our wedding actually be able to afford a wedding gift like that?" He said, "Someone on my side of the family might..."

Are major appliances even appropriate to put on a registry? Is that rude?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a new house and need appliances or you just need new appliances, then sure. Put them on your registry. A refrigerator is a necessity. It''s not like you registered for a 52" LCD TV or something
emwink.gif
I''ve seen people put $1400 Pottery Barn beds on their registry. If there are people who can, and are willing to get them for you then great. I think there are some places that give you a discount on unpurchased items from your registry so if someone doesn''t get you your new oven then at least you can get a good discount on it!

GO FOR IT!!!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the family or culture. I''ve been to several large Italian bridal showers where couples received appliances, mattresses, even a HOUSE!

But personally I would never register for that stuff- even though we could use it. I figure we can use any cash towards something we really want, and have time to research and shop the best place to purchase,etc.

And to think that I felt guilty for putting a $299 Kitchen Aid mixer on my registry!

But if your FI thinks someone might get it, definitely go for it- a group of folks could even chip in.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I were planning to register for a new oven, dishwasher, and gift cards to buy hardwood flooring. Just because we already have everything for our house and those were going to be our next improvements. We certainly don''t expect one person to do this. We are planning to tell our families that whomever wishes to give a gift to just compile everything together to purchase such large items. We are in no way trying to put anyone out, so we also are registering for towels (because who can get enough good towels?), kitchen stuff, etc..

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it just depends on your family. I didn''t want to register, but was asked to by a couple of relatives, so I was insistent on registering for things that were $50 or less. But that suits our families and the small wedding we''re having. My FI also decided to register for men''s undewear, a portable toilet and an ovulation tester (!!), and that fits our style as well, haha. Oh, and we did put a $4,000 TV on our registery, but PURELY as a joke.

I have a good friend that needed appliances, though, and was torn between registering for them or registering for gift cards so that she could get them on her own. Eventually she just decided to register for gift cards at Home Depot so that they could just buy them themselves. She had a very large wedding and this was more fitting for her wedding.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
At Crate and Barrel, the salesperson suggested we put some big-ticket items on there, so that we could use the 10% registry completion discount on them after the wedding. They had a $400 desk we wanted, so we went back last month and used gift cards to get it for $360... can't argue with that!
2.gif

And we will often go in with other people to buy the bigger stuff off our friends' registries... it's fun to know we all chipped in to buy their new bar or TV or whatnot, especially when we get to help use it afterwards!
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it would be acceptable depending on cultural norms or customs...personally I''ve never seen anything like that on a registry but maybe I''m not up with the times, lol! I think the most expensive thing on ours was the kitchenaid mixer which was around $300 at the time (4.5 years ago). Imo, I''m not trying to furnish someone''s home...I''d rather just give cash for them to put towards something like that. Are you guys building a house, or buying one that does not include the major appliances?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i work in a bridal registry, as long as you have gifts in all prices ranges, especially for those who cannot afford to buy you a refrigerator, then there is no reason you shouldn''t'' register for one if you need it. i would say go for it!

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
I think sometimes people will register for larger ticket items because they don''t need smaller items because they are well established so upgrades of furniture or appliances are more useful/meaningful to them.

I don''t think that the intent so it make pepole purchase the whole item, but instead a lot of friends can pool together to get it. Also, like those honeymoon fund websites that you can make to donate to the honeymoon cost, I''ve heard of pepole doing the same for items like beds and refirdgerators. Because that''s what they really wanted.

It kinda also lets someone who doens''t want to give cash technically give a real gift without having to buy something the ocuple doesn''t really want/need. kind a compromise? doe sthat make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results