shape
carat
color
clarity

Yoga

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Do any of you practice yoga? If so, do you do it at home or take classes?
I''m thinking of starting and want to get some feedback.
Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have done yoga in the past, in class. I have seen some good Dvd's too. I think one was called morning and evening yoga. I probably should do it now since I have a stressful job and when I go to bed at night I notice my whole body is tightened.

Yoga is so good for your well being. Let us know what you do. Also, if you are not sure; try your local library. That is where I found this dvd.

Here is a good beginners one. http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Yoga-Beginners-2-Pack-Beginner/dp/B00073I4NA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1101525-2386242?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1173029985&sr=8-1

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I take yoga and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I''m like a different person now. I used to be anxious all the time, to the point where I could do almost nothing. I would get horrible anxiety, racing heartbeat, etc., over little bumps in the road. But the meditation in yoga, as well as learning its principles has helped calm me down immensely. I am much more laid back now and take things in stride. And let me tell you, after years of panic attacks being able to finally take a breath is great!

By the way, I take a class at school, but when I graduate I am going to continue practicing with the teacher I have now by going to her gym. You can do it at home as well if you like, but I would recommend that when you start you take a few classes so that you know you are doing things correctly. Learning how to adjust your body properly is much easier with an instructor who can watch, adjust, and alert you when you are doing something incorrectly. After you feel more comfortable and secure in your knowledge though, doing it at home would probably be fine. I just know that when I started yoga it helped a lot having an instructor there. Also, I have the Gaiam Yoga Now dvds with morning, evening, and core work outs. I haven''t used them yet because I have the class right now, but the Gaiam products as a whole are usually good, so I will use these as soon as my class ends. Good luck on your search!

*M*

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I practice yoga once a week and LOVE it. I would do it more often if I had the time, but with two small kids and with the other activities I do (step aerobics and also meditation), it''s hard to fit everything in.

Right now, I do home videos. We have Netflix and I''ve ordered tons of videos this way to find out which ones work best for me. . .

One great one is:
http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Candlelight-Yoga-Sara-Ivanhoe/dp/B00006FMB2/ref=sr_1_7/103-4650075-7255850?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1173039806&sr=8-7

It''s easy for beginners! Very refreshing.

Patricia Walden also has a nice beginners one that''s perfect at showing the individual poses.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I just started taking hatha yoga and really like it.

It does have excellent anti anxiety capabilities. On my second class I was so upset when I went in that I was almost in tears. By the end of the class I felt 100% better.

I need to get my own mat and stuff b/c it grosses me out somewhat to use the ones the gym provides. You are supposed to do yoga barefoot, but I would rather not since it is in my gym. I bought little socks with plastic traction things on the bottoms and those are working well in the class.

It is not very difficult physically though some of the poses definitely stretch muscles in ways that surprised me.

Highly recommend you try some different styles and see what you like.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I used to take yoga, as well as do some videos. I started with the videos, then did the class and it was much better. The instructor is able to help you out with poses, tell you what you''re doing right and wrong, and tailor the workout to your strengths and weaknesses. My instructor used to change the stretches for me because I have flexible quads but tight hamstrings, and the same for others in my class. We had about 6-8 people, which I think is a good size. I could never get into the videos - they were slow paced and I never felt like I was doing anything. But the class was really good for core strength and flexibility. I imagine if I had stayed in class long enough I would have gotten more out of the videos, but my instructor got too pregnant and couldn''t teach anymore, and I never found another one. I''d like to start again if I had the time!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried it. I could not get into it mentally, I prefer pilates. I had a hard time turning off and found it made me stressed if that is not the weirdest thing! But I also know people who love it and swear by it, so I think it is worth investigating. I know there a many types, kundalini, bikram, hot yoga, etc, so it might make sense to see which style suits you. Excuse any spelling errors, I am not proficient in spelling yoga terms.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 9:37:30 PM
Author: diamondfan
I tried it. I could not get into it mentally, I prefer pilates. I had a hard time turning off and found it made me stressed if that is not the weirdest thing! But I also know people who love it and swear by it, so I think it is worth investigating. I know there a many types, kundalini, bikram, hot yoga, etc, so it might make sense to see which style suits you. Excuse any spelling errors, I am not proficient in spelling yoga terms.

I was actually going to suggest yoga to you in that thread called "Who is Diamondfan," but didn''t want to be too presumptuous. Trying to "tune out" at first made me panic too, but it truly does help. And reading about your anxiety issues, it just reminds me of how I used to feel all the time. Maybe giving it another go sometime will be beneficial. It took me months before I got the meditation right to the point where I wasn''t constantly thinking about something.

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pop, thanks! I really wanted to like it, it would be awesome, but yet I would sit there and think, Oh gosh, I need to take my car in and did I remember to call the plumber? And is everyone else relaxed and I am the only one here not able to do it? God how stressful, look at all of them, so relaxed and into it and I am sitting here looking at the fuzz on the floor...I happen to like pilates though, it really is great and I love my trainer who comes to my house, so I look forward to that...but I might try it again!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 9:45:12 PM
Author: diamondfan
Pop, thanks! I really wanted to like it, it would be awesome, but yet I would sit there and think, Oh gosh, I need to take my car in and did I remember to call the plumber? And is everyone else relaxed and I am the only one here not able to do it? God how stressful, look at all of them, so relaxed and into it and I am sitting here looking at the fuzz on the floor...I happen to like pilates though, it really is great and I love my trainer who comes to my house, so I look forward to that...but I might try it again!

I did the same thing. There were days I kept peeking to see if everyone else was relaxing. My teacher calls it "monkey mind" and it''s totally normal. I used to go through everything I needed to do that day in my head, and then start wondering... did I leave the wash in? I wonder where I left such and such book.... just really odd things. But I just kept at it and now... nothing. I just focus on the wave of the breath and I don''t see, hear, or think about anything. It''s lovely.

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just kept stressing about WHY it was not happening for me. I think I lack the patience to wait for it to occur, dunno, I just would get agitated. Plus I am not sure which type of yoga I should do, I would think just a general type, at least in the beginning...

laya

Rough_Rock
Hi Dimaondsrock..I teach yoga....go to different classes and teachers.and see which one you like......If you like the teacher and style of yoga that is what makes the experience worthwhile....You may want something more spiritual, meditative,or something very physical.....there are a million different types , there are many different I wouldn''t ,at least in the beginning, try to do it by meself from a book....you should have a teacher...layal

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I love the hot yoga. www.bikramyoga.com

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 12:38:28 PM
Author: Skippy123
I have done yoga in the past, in class. I have seen some good Dvd''s too. I think one was called morning and evening yoga.

I know I am a bit late chiming in, but I have similar DVDs called AM and PM yoga, and they are really great. The PM/evening yoga is really relaxing! It is about 15ish min long, and whenever I do it, I have no trouble falling asleep. Plus, it is good for flexibillity.

The AM yoga is supposed to be energizing, but basically nothing wakes me up in the mornings. I haven''t noticed it being very effective. However it is still a nice way to start a morning.

I used to do them ALL The time, but have slacked off with the home work out programs now that I have a gym membership and classes to attend. Even so, thinking about those DVDs really makes me want to dig them out and work with them again.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Like Appletini, I love hot yoga and practice Bikram Yoga. It''s challenging, b/c of the heat, but I feel great afterwards. Not as anxious, I sleep wonderfully and it has helped with weight loss & even strength training. I enjoy it so much, I even took a job working some weekends at a Bikram studio.

There are many different kinds of yoga, and I''ve tried a few, but Bikram is what stuck for me.

www.bikramyoga.com - if you want to look into one in your area.

35.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I love yoga! I did bikrams for a long time with BF, but I prefer "cold" yoga. He likes bikram because it's challenging, and you sweat alot. He also cannot stay focused with regular yoga. His mind it too busy. But, I prefer Hatha Yoga. Although, between work, taking care of my daughter, and doing tae kwon do with her, I don't have time for yoga. I did just purchased the DVD that MC recommended above. I'm sure taking classes is better, but doing it at home can't hurt.

beaming

Rough_Rock
vinyasa (flow) yoga all the way! It''s done in a slightly heated room but is not as dehydrating as bikram and very good for strength building.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results