shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another scam to watch out for

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So the other day I start getting random text messages on my phone about bank fraud. Of course they have links and phone numbers to click and call. I googled the numbers, no such luck. I then went directly to my bank and called them. it turns out there WERE fraudulent charges being blocked but they had no idea where that text came from or the number that was on it.

Note to self: never call back or click anything that comes in screaming "your bank account is locked" before googling the number and calling your branch first
-always check your online account from a different device
-never click an email link you receive from your bank stating there is fraudulent activity
-NEVER EVER give anyone on the phone your personal information unless it was you contacting your financial institution immediately

Just another fraud scam we have to be aware of. I'm shocked this only happened to my mother once. They're so crafty now with tech.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
My friend told me yesterday the same thing had happened. She said hers was a phone call. She said it was odd - they called her daughter but said her name. So, they called her daughters to say that her mother (my friend) had fraudulent charges and they needed information about her

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My friend told me yesterday the same thing had happened. She said hers was a phone call. She said it was odd - they called her daughter but said her name. So, they called her daughters to say that her mother (my friend) had fraudulent charges and they needed information about her

yes! And now they can mask the phone numbers coming in to make it look like your financial institution.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I routinely get “notifications” that my PayPal account has been suspended due to suspected fraudulent activity. I routinely delete the email, then log in to PayPal directly to see if there are any flags or other problems with my account. So far, so good.

My DH routinely gets recorded messages indicating that our electricity will be shut off in 15 minutes unless an outstanding bill is settled. Our electricity billing is complicated - solar credits, annual “true-ups,” etc. - so it did cause some concern the first time it happened, especially since I sounded like spam tone and I hung up before we heard the complete message! But as it turns out, it was spam and nothing to be worried about.

Still, these kinds of phishing messages infuriate me. My father, when he was living alone, fell for a few (less potentially ruinous) on-line scams that I got to entangle. These scams target the elderly and others who might not be on their guard for a variety of reasons - often people who could very easily be put into financial jeopardy. Makes my blood boil.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I keep getting alerts from Experian that my phone number and sometimes certain passwords were found on the dark web. I don't even understand how the dark web works, but I know I don't want to be found on it! It's scary how people find your info and have only bad intentions.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I keep getting alerts from Experian that my phone number and sometimes certain passwords were found on the dark web. I don't even understand how the dark web works, but I know I don't want to be found on it! It's scary how people find your info and have only bad intentions.

It isn't the dark web you need to worry about. Most hacks end up on the regular (clear or surface) web.

You can see where you have been hacked by going to haveibeenpwned, Google it and select the link. You enter an email address or phone number and it will show you which sites your info was hacked from. They have decent catalog but not exhaustive.
Note the sites and check if you are still using the password you had on those accounts. If so CHANGE it.

I'd love to say it getting better but we have an all out cyberwar happening and 3rd party hackers (anonymous, againistthewest) are getting involved. Everything from toasters to satnav is being hacked, exposed, or just destroyed. There is a satellite communication network in Europe that was "beyond repair" due to an attack. Thank goodness it wasn't an electric grid, although I think the Russians got into one in Ukraine.

I feel like I am shouting into the wind but there is so much indiscriminate hacking and leaks that what worries me on an individual level is release of texts. Samsung was hacked and they got all the background code which means they could obtain and post anything that is part of the Samsung OS- texts would be one thing. If you think about perhaps an unkind text or something you texted you wouldn't want everyone to read that is suddenly out there, that to me is worse than my username and old password ending up on a carding site on the DW. I highly recommend you start using an encrypted messaging app like Signal.

Check to see if you have been hacked
Change your passwords
Use a password manager (there are free ones)
Use Signal over Whatsapp or text

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CSpan Thank you SO much! I had no idea I could do this!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the other day I start getting random text messages on my phone about bank fraud. Of course they have links and phone numbers to click and call. I googled the numbers, no such luck. I then went directly to my bank and called them. it turns out there WERE fraudulent charges being blocked but they had no idea where that text came from or the number that was on it.

Note to self: never call back or click anything that comes in screaming "your bank account is locked" before googling the number and calling your branch first
-always check your online account from a different device
-never click an email link you receive from your bank stating there is fraudulent activity
-NEVER EVER give anyone on the phone your personal information unless it was you contacting your financial institution immediately

Just another fraud scam we have to be aware of. I'm shocked this only happened to my mother once. They're so crafty now with tech.

Just happened to my daughter's fiance' last month. they got 2000$ out of his account and luckily he caught it and called the bank within hours and they were able to get it back.

I just got a text from "PayP'all" saying my account got hacked and to click on the link they've provided me. Lololol.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn't the dark web you need to worry about. Most hacks end up on the regular (clear or surface) web.

You can see where you have been hacked by going to haveibeenpwned, Google it and select the link. You enter an email address or phone number and it will show you which sites your info was hacked from. They have decent catalog but not exhaustive.
Note the sites and check if you are still using the password you had on those accounts. If so CHANGE it.

I'd love to say it getting better but we have an all out cyberwar happening and 3rd party hackers (anonymous, againistthewest) are getting involved. Everything from toasters to satnav is being hacked, exposed, or just destroyed. There is a satellite communication network in Europe that was "beyond repair" due to an attack. Thank goodness it wasn't an electric grid, although I think the Russians got into one in Ukraine.

I feel like I am shouting into the wind but there is so much indiscriminate hacking and leaks that what worries me on an individual level is release of texts. Samsung was hacked and they got all the background code which means they could obtain and post anything that is part of the Samsung OS- texts would be one thing. If you think about perhaps an unkind text or something you texted you wouldn't want everyone to read that is suddenly out there, that to me is worse than my username and old password ending up on a carding site on the DW. I highly recommend you start using an encrypted messaging app like Signal.

Check to see if you have been hacked
Change your passwords
Use a password manager (there are free ones)
Use Signal over Whatsapp or text

I admit to being a technology moron... but I'm trying. When I look at haveibeenpwned I'm sold I've been in 17 data breaches, but I don't see (unless I'm missing it) what sites those are...?

BMI

Shiny_Rock
@Dee*Jay
The sites show up for me after I scroll down past the ad for 1password. I guess I'm lucky to only have three. (I'm on a chromebook.)

I admit to being a technology moron... but I'm trying. When I look at haveibeenpwned I'm sold I've been in 17 data breaches, but I don't see (unless I'm missing it) what sites those are...?

Honestly I've gotten so many notifications that my passwords may have been exposed in a data breach or X company just got their systems hacked, etc. etc., that I'm pretty much numb to it. I just go "okey dokey, I guess I'll go change some of my passwords now" and sign up for whatever free credit monitoring service they may offer as restitution when it's available. But otherwise I just assume nothing is truly secure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I've gotten so many notifications that my passwords may have been exposed in a data breach or X company just got their systems hacked, etc. etc., that I'm pretty much numb to it. I just go "okey dokey, I guess I'll go change some of my passwords now" and sign up for whatever free credit monitoring service they may offer as restitution when it's available. But otherwise I just assume nothing is truly secure.

Agree. Nothing is secure. Four years ago we decided to freeze all our credit. Makes it more difficult for criminals.

Oh heck yeah to credit freezing. And I love how easy it is to do a temporary lift for like just a day if I wanted to open up a checking account real quick or something.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay
The sites show up for me after I scroll down past the ad for 1password. I guess I'm lucky to only have three. (I'm on a chromebook.)

Ah -- thank you!

Reactions: BMI
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results