shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another OEC price question

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stopped by a pawn shop today and saw an OEC I liked. It's 0.76 carat, 5.8mm, H colour, SI1 clarity. It's a pretty stone, very lively, possibly closer to a transition because it has a lower crown and it's cut is pretty even, not as chunky, but still has the open culet and chunkier pattern to it than a modern stone.

The asking price for it is £1,000, which is about $1,600. Is that good? It's been such a long time since I shopped for diamonds and I've never owned over over 0.50, much less over 0.75 carats!

I really like this stone, it's pretty. And there's a return period of 5 days so I can take it home and play with it. I don't want to buy it because I'm scared of it getting away, but I also don't want to miss it and regret it.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd absolutely bet it's a TC- the H color is why I suspect it is, near colorless is *much* more common in TCs than OECs. You want to check to make sure it's fiery enough for you- I'd owned a TC that was super, super bright but not nearly as much fire as I liked- I ended up selling it even though it had been an amazing deal and it was a pretty stone. So if you haven't look at it in a bunch of different lighting.

Do you have anything that's close to an H color to compare it to? Because the color can make all the difference with older cuts- the whiter ones are much, much, much harder to find and can even command a premium over RBs.

To be honest if I've seen something in person and know it's a killer performer, I'm willing to pay more than I would online. In this case, OWD has a few stones with slightly lower color, priced at $2600. So I'd say it sounds like a deal if it's what they say it is, and even if it's a few color grades lower perhaps!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with LGK...especially if you've seen it in person and there's a 5 day return policy. That way, you can mull it over without worrying that it will disappear on you. Please post pics if you can!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wearing earrings which are ungraded but sold to me as H & I (also OECs, though one with the same pattern and slightly lower crown - mine aren't a perfect match - but are any?). I can't tell the difference between my current 0.34 I and the 0.76 H though my I was set. Most other items in the shop were brilliant cuts or completely different making it hard to compare colour to them.

I'm kinda excited but also kinda wonder if I should just wait. A couple of years ago it was fairly easy to get older cut stones for not a ton of money. Prices could drop again. But I don't wanna wait!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Addy|1315696007|3014676 said:
I was wearing earrings which are ungraded but sold to me as H & I (also OECs, though one with the same pattern and slightly lower crown - mine aren't a perfect match - but are any?). I can't tell the difference between my current 0.34 I and the 0.76 H though my I was set. Most other items in the shop were brilliant cuts or completely different making it hard to compare colour to them.

I'm kinda excited but also kinda wonder if I should just wait. A couple of years ago it was fairly easy to get older cut stones for not a ton of money. Prices could drop again. But I don't wanna wait!
I think the price is quite reasonable, and the color sounds lovely and hard to find. I'd say go for it if you can afford it- even if old cuts get more common again, I don't think the price is bad at a..

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went back and visited today - it is a fairly low crown and small culet. Now I'm not entirely sure what to do. I have such trouble making decisions! I like it face up, but must admit that the high crown is one of the things I really like in diamonds.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with you about the high crown. It's one of the things about old stones that charms me. What a tough decision (I know I'm no help).

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought it. I really like it, very pretty! I've never owned a stone this large. My e-ring is 0.47 and my earrings are 0.71ctw.

I'm supposed to go to the appraiser early next week, but now not sure I can make it - work getting in the way. I know the local jewellery store can do an appraisal, but it won't be independent, etc. Not sure what to do. Is any appraisal better than none when deciding on an item like this? If I wait for Mr. Independent Appraiser then I'll be past the return period.

These photos were taken in the office on the desk - not ideal lighting conditions but only light until tomorrow.

addy loose stone 001.jpg

addy loose stone 003.jpg

addy loose stone 004.jpg

addy loose stone 005.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Addy, it looks like a GORGEOUS stone! Wow, congrats!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Looks darn white culet up. Likely not H but shows far less color than most old cuts. That's a bonafide OEC, not transitional. Lovely find!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'm actually much more pleased with it once I got it out of the jewellery store and could play with it a bit more. I think I was scaring the staff a bit!

It's very pretty, and white, in person! Much more so than I first though. Any input on the appraisal though?

smc7277

Rough_Rock
I was at a local B&M store today, they had a oec solitaire in a totally worn out setting . the stone was .70 and they wanted $3,000... Wish I had been at your store instead :cheeky:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
If I were in your position I would not spend money on an appraisal unless I was going to insure it. You love old cuts for what they are or you don't, in this case you love it and you have enough of a baseline to know you weren't ripped off even without an appraiser's opinion.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smc7277|1316209423|3019104 said:
I was at a local B&M store today, they had a oec solitaire in a totally worn out setting . the stone was .70 and they wanted $3,000... Wish I had been at your store instead :cheeky:

Pawn shops and bargaining! And good luck. I do feel really pleased, just a bit nervous - it's a lot of money for me. I think the total, at today's exchange rate, was about $1,650.

I'm planning on earrings, but think I may put it into a temp setting to enjoy it in the meantime.

kelpie|1316210057|3019112 said:
If I were in your position I would not spend money on an appraisal unless I was going to insure it. You love old cuts for what they are or you don't, in this case you love it and you have enough of a baseline to know you weren't ripped off even without an appraiser's opinion.

That makes sense. Part of why I was thinking to get it appraised was to make sure the colours and clarity are on target, but also for any measurements for finding it's match, which I'm not in a rush to do, but makes it easier for me as I often try to look on ebay, etc for stones. But yes, I think you're correct. Thanks! I'll do appraisal after it's set, earrings or otherwise, for insurance and wearing it out of the house.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the faceting pattern Addy! It looks really pretty in the pics.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1316210057|3019112 said:
Ditto. Even if the color is lower than H- and it may be, if I had to guess a color, I'd guess J, since a hint of color shows in the profile shot on my monitor, but obviously that's a total guess- you still done good :bigsmile: Regardless it's ridiculously white for such an old cut- and the patterning looks lovely.

Is it round, or cushiony? The first pic looks like it might be cushiony a bit. If it's out of round, it may actually be an OMC- either way, for sure it's not a TC, it would either be OEC or OMC.

Yeah, to get measurements, I'd just wander into a local jeweler and have them measure it. That's super duper easy, no need to pay an appraiser for that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's very pretty. SO... how are you setting it?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK - yeah, I'm starting to wonder if it's the same stone I was looking at. The first couple of times I looked it was set in a simple solitaire setting. The last time it was out of the setting. Looking at it and remembering, I'm really wondering if it's the same stone that I originally saw. I'm not claiming bait and switch or anything, just potentially confusion on what stone I was after. I really don't remember it looking like that, I do remember it being more round, more TC shaped with a lower crown and small culet. I wasn't able to take any photos though, just going off memory.

I'll take it to get it measured. At least confirming the carat weight and mm size.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my. Regardless of whether it's the original stone, that is GORGEOUS!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results