shape
carat
color
clarity

yellow nails

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
anyone know the trick to getting rid of this? it''s from constant nail polish but looks bad!

thanks!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
There are many home remedies to help fade the color. Lemon juice is supposed to be one. My sil is a nail technician and she says the best way is to go with out polish for a while.

For future remedies, have you considered using a primer polish first before your coat of color polish? The gives you a barrier that assures the actual color of polish won't soak into your nail bed. I do and I no longer have yellow issues.

When I was a wee tot, I remember my fathers nails looked like french manicure does today. Of course with only a tiny white tip. He used to buff his nails daily with a polishing compound. They had a sheen and were actually pink and healthy looking. He should have been like George Costanza...and had a chance at hand modeling! (circa: Seinfeld TV) Not sure if buffing is an option for your application. Maybe a pro will chime in here. Good Luck!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My girlfriend soaks her nails in bleach. It works but I wouldn''t recommend it.
Use a buffing block!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HATE yellow nails (but I also hate unpainted nails...evil cycle) I find it is not so bad if you use more expensive nail polish. I have good results with essie.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I get it if I wear too much red polish particularly. I just use those Buffing file things and it cleans them right up. (the ''files'' that are multi-sided and are used for smoothing out ridges and such). Also, I''ve learned to use a really good base coat before putting on a dark polish. Not just a clear coat, but something actually sold as BASE coat.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I pretty much stopped wearing polish because of it. I didn''t even wear it that often.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
make a paste of baking soda & peroxide. Lightly brush it on, let it sit 2-3 minutes then rinse.

Some people soak their nails in a cup/bowl with a denture tablet.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Soak your nails in efferdent--or any other denture cleaner. Works pretty good! Also try to only wear nail laquer, not enamel--and always use a base coat. OPI and Creative Nail both make great laquer. I''ve done nails professionally for nearly 12 years, and my natural nail clients don''t have the yellowing problem with laquer polish. Be careful if you buff the yellow off of the nail--it can thin the nail out and make it brittle and more prone to breaking, cracking, and splitting.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have also seen a product on one of those spa/beauty care sites that is supposed to get rid of it. Probably just fancied up home remedy stuff.

ALWAYS wear base coat, rule number one of nail care.

And rubbing it off will just make the nail weak, as Hairgirl said, so I would give your nails a breather. I can try to find the salon product if you want, I recall seeing it somewhere.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
janine, yellowing nails can be one of three things:

1. Too much dark nail polish without sufficient rest between mani''s.

2. Some sort of medical/nutritional deficiency.

3. Aging.

Sadly, two of my toenails are a bit yellow on the corners and I panicked thinking it was the evil nail fungus. Thankfully it was not, however, my dermatologist said that when people start aging, usually after 40, yellowing nails can simply be just a sign of aging and nothing more.

There are a couple of items on the market that supposedly make your nails whiter, I''ve used one and it sort of worked but it seems temporary -
"Bubbles something or other" you can get it at Sally Beauty Supply. The other is made by Nailtini I think. It should be online somewhere. I read somewhere that Crest whitening strips were recommended so I tried those but I have to be honest, my teeth get VERY sensitive with the peroxide whitening treatments, and my nails got insanely sensitive for about a day, after I tried the teeth whitening strips on them so I dont recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results