shape
carat
color
clarity

yellow gold dipped in platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kjt

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies (and gents).

Just a quick question to ask and see if my idea is absurd.
I have a cross pendant in yellow gold with bezel diamonds. I never wear it because yellow gold is not my thing. I was thinking of rhodium plating it and the posts here seem to suggest that it is okay. However, we all know that plating it will eventually fade and turn back into yellow gold. I've had a few pieces that this has happened to and it irks me to no end!

My questions is: has anyone every platinum plated their yellow gold? How long have you had it done, does it fade, and is it costly?

Thanks!

ajourklaus

Rough_Rock
Hi kjt,

I have never heard of platinum plating. It probably exists somewhere but is not used on a regular basis. I know that palladium plating is used quite frequently.

Plating is always a relatively thin layer measured in microns.

You can get away with plating on a pendant and earrings. I would not recommend it for rings.

In your case I''d stay with rhodium.

I consider plating an emergency solution, a quick fix.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...I think that the rhodium plating is a better option on jewelry other than rings since they do not get the same "wear and tear". I think that it would work great on a pendant.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I had my formerly yellow gold engagement ring reset in platinum last year.
I did not want the expense of resetting my anniversary band at the same time, so I had the yellow gold dipped in rhodium. So far, it is still perfect, and I wear it everyday.

Perhaps there are different levels of rhodium plating, and mine is thicker than most? Maybe someone can explain that here, because I was not expecting the finish to last this long.
I had it done by a very reputable business in the Phila. Jewelry District.

It is a gem-lock type band. As Klaus said, I consider dipping to be a temporary fix.
It matches the platinum ring very well. My jeweller did not mention dipping it in platinum as an option.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never heard of plating in platinum, only rhodium.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhodium plating a pendant should be fine. The problem with plating is that it really depends on the PH in your body to determine how long it will last. For some people it lasts years and years...and some it lasts months. But at worst it will just wear away the back.

And make sure not to clean it in ammonia, bleach, or get chlorine on it which will make it wear away much faster.

kjt

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies. Looks like the consensus is that there is no platinum plating and my idea IS crazy!

I''ll be looking into rhodium plating is soon. Perhaps I''ll be back to show you guys pictures. Thanks again!

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/11/2009 10:06:39 PM
Author: kjt
Thanks ladies. Looks like the consensus is that there is no platinum plating and my idea IS crazy!

I''ll be looking into rhodium plating is soon. Perhaps I''ll be back to show you guys pictures. Thanks again!

Kjt,

Your Idea isn''t that crazy actually.
2.gif
I believe Charles Garnier the French gold hoop designer has a line of silver hoops that are platinum plated. Its certainly possible to plate something in Platinum, rhodium is often preferred though because of it greater hardness and brightness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 10:19:50 PM
Author: Diamond Explorer

Kjt,

2.gif
I believe Charles Garnier the French gold hoop designer has a line of silver hoops that are platinum plated. Its certainly possible to plate something in Platinum, rhodium is often preferred though because of it greater hardness and brightness.
Will it cost more because most jewellers don''t have a PT plating solution?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/14/2009 11:23:47 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 4/14/2009 10:19:50 PM

Author: Diamond Explorer

Kjt,

2.gif

Will it cost more because most jewellers don''t have a PT plating solution?

Platinum plating should actually cost less if you think about it. Haven''t checked spot recently, but rhodium is normally much more expensive than platinum. A designer could probably order platinum solution suitible for plating purposes if he looked in the right places. He might have to look beyond standard trade suppliers and on to more full service laboratory supply firms.

I think the reasoning for a product like this is to take advantage of the allure of . Everyone has heard of platinum and rhodium sounds like some crazy space metal to most people. Pure platinum has a dark yet brilliant appearance, and I can see how some would prefer it to rhodium.
26.gif

kjt

Rough_Rock
thanks friends!

I find that my rhodium plated things go "gold" very quickly so I wanted to see if this was an option. Thanks all for you input and help!

I''ll go to my jeweler to ask if she does this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results