shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Fancy's With GIA Certificates More than 1 year Old?

Hi Experts,

I'm trying to purchase a yellow fancy cushion cut between 1.5 and 2 carets. I've been looking at leibish, and have narrowed the diamonds to two or three. However, on one the GIA certificate is 2 years old, October 2013? Is this odd, as the diamond has not been able to sell and does it mean it's not a "good" diamond?

Can people weigh in on the two diamonds?

Here are the two diamonds I'm looking at:

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-radiant-14233

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-cushion-23783

Thank you!
Amy

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Yellow Fancy's With GIA Certificates More than 1 year Ol

i_like_shiny_objects|1445638258|3941463 said:
Hi Experts,

I'm trying to purchase a yellow fancy cushion cut between 1.5 and 2 carets. I've been looking at leibish, and have narrowed the diamonds to two or three. However, on one the GIA certificate is 2 years old, October 2013? Is this odd, as the diamond has not been able to sell and does it mean it's not a "good" diamond?

Can people weigh in on the two diamonds?

Here are the two diamonds I'm looking at:

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-radiant-14233

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-cushion-23783

Thank you!
Amy

The first one looks mushy under the table in the first 2 pictures. The photo of it in the case looks a lot better.

With the second stone I wonder about the symmetry. I dont know if its the pictures or what but it seems like it has one
side that is a lot whiter (does not show much color) than the other side. Its on the right side in the case but on the left side
in the other two shots.

My 2 cents...I am by no means a colored stone/diamond aficionado.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

The video of the 2nd one shows a lot of color loss so I wonder what the reflector images look like. It's even evident in the pics and I do think that the GIA cert being a few years old could be a good indication it sat on the shelf due to it's performance. The report does say the distribution of color is even but it doesn't look like it to me. Perhaps when viewed at actual scale it's not an issue.

Thank you for weighing in! If it the color symmetry issues is not noticeable in person, then is it worth getting? The Leibish prices seem reasonable and if I go to a jeweler, I will certainly pay a premium. I am supposed to see these diamonds in person.

solgen|1445732420|3941789 said:
The video of the 2nd one shows a lot of color loss so I wonder what the reflector images look like. It's even evident in the pics and I do think that the GIA cert being a few years old could be a good indication it sat on the shelf due to it's performance. The report does say the distribution of color is even but it doesn't look like it to me. Perhaps when viewed at actual scale it's not an issue.

That's a good idea. I should request reflector images then? The second diamond was actually certified in July of this year.

I was going to chose three or two diamonds off of Leibish's site to look at while I happen to be in NYC Tuesday. They charge $500 or so for shipping, which is refundable if I chose to buy a diamond from them. The problem is, I have no idea what to look out for?!

Do you have an opinion on the first diamond, radiant? I know the first two photos looked muddy - maybe it's the blue flourescence?

Thank you.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

i_like_shiny_objects|1445741011|3941818 said:

That's a good idea. I should request reflector images then? The second diamond was actually certified in July of this year.

I was going to chose three or two diamonds off of Leibish's site to look at while I happen to be in NYC Tuesday. They charge $500 or so for shipping, which is refundable if I chose to buy a diamond from them. The problem is, I have no idea what to look out for?!

Do you have an opinion on the first diamond, radiant? I know the first two photos looked muddy - maybe it's the blue flourescence?

Thank you.

Reflector images really don't tell the whole story in fancy colored stones. The COLOR is the only thing that matters. It could look like an absolute turd, but if it's intense or vivid, the COLOR is the value.

LOTS of colored stones have wonky cuts, tons of inclusions - but they are valuable for their color. Is it possible to find a well cut example? Sure, of course. But FCDs are cut first to RETAIN color and keep light within the diamond, meaning I'm pretty sure they would all show horribly on a reflector image. The goal is antithetical to what a reflector image is supposed to show - the longer light bounces around inside a colored diamond, the more intense the color is going to appear to be. You don't want face up white light return in a FCD.

I agree that the cut on a few of these is showing some color loss. May or may not actually be evident when set.

I don't think it's the fluorescence causing the transparency issues with the first. The stone looks fine in the box but it also just looks bizarrely out of focus in the video and I think it might be a camera artifact.

From leibish I'd see:
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-cushion-19284
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-light-yellow-cushion-17690

those are the only two I liked much.

That said if you're going to NY, I would go see David at DBL. He has some really nice yellows in the 1.5 up range that don't show the wonkiness of cut. And he won't charge you $500 to see them!

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-150ct-fancy-yellow-vs2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r6563
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-173ct-fancy-yellow-si1-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r6497

I especially like the 1.73.

Some other nice ones:
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Fancy-Diamonds-93/GIA-Graded-Cushion-Modified-Fancy-Light-Yellow-Diamond-2-02-Carat-VVS2-Clarity-457266.html
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Fancy-Diamonds-93/GIA-Graded-Cushion-Modified-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-1-83-Carat-VVS2-Clarity-619867.html
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Fancy-Diamonds-93/GIA-Graded-Cushion-Modified-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-1-93-Carat-VS2-Clarity-654998.html

kb1gra|1445743346|3941823 said:
i_like_shiny_objects|1445741011|3941818 said:

Thank you.

Reflector images really don't tell the whole story in fancy colored stones. The COLOR is the only thing that matters. It could look like an absolute turd, but if it's intense or vivid, the COLOR is the value.

LOTS of colored stones have wonky cuts, tons of inclusions - but they are valuable for their color. Is it possible to find a well cut example? Sure, of course. But FCDs are cut first to RETAIN color and keep light within the diamond, meaning I'm pretty sure they would all show horribly on a reflector image. The goal is antithetical to what a reflector image is supposed to show - the longer light bounces around inside a colored diamond, the more intense the color is going to appear to be. You don't want face up white light return in a FCD.

I agree that the cut on a few of these is showing some color loss. May or may not actually be evident when set.

I don't think it's the fluorescence causing the transparency issues with the first. The stone looks fine in the box but it also just looks bizarrely out of focus in the video and I think it might be a camera artifact.

That said if you're going to NY, I would go see David at DBL. He has some really nice yellows in the 1.5 up range that don't show the wonkiness of cut. And he won't charge you $500 to see them!

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-150ct-fancy-yellow-vs2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r6563
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-173ct-fancy-yellow-si1-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r6497

I especially like the 1.73.

Thank you for chiming in! I literally just looked on david's site. His prices aren't as competitive, but maybe I can talk him down a bit. Leibish was quoting me prices cheaper than their sale prices, but maybe it's because of the diamonds.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

I added a few more for you...

I check leibish's site pretty regularly (looking for something extremely specific) and I have the sense that the really good stuff, goes basically immediately. Not that it's a bad thing, of course, but if something's been lingering on their site there's usually good reason. Remember, they also sell to dealers, so stock is getting snapped up for resale as well as for consumer level sales. The last stone I bought from them I grabbed an hour after it was listed, on a Sunday morning - I doubt it would have lasted much longer.

David is a really nice guy and the service he provides (letting you waste as much time as you want in his office waffling about stones...) may be worth any extra price, but I really think judging a competitive price in the FCD market is hard, as prices just vary so much based on minute tiny factors for each individual stone.

I've seen some of david's in person and also follow his site regularly and I can tell you what he has is generally good. And the advice he's given me has been good as well. Take that for what it cost you, but if I were in the city I'd give him an hour of my time.

kb1gra|1445744621|3941830 said:
I added a few more for you...

I check leibish's site pretty regularly (looking for something extremely specific) and I have the sense that the really good stuff, goes basically immediately. Not that it's a bad thing, of course, but if something's been lingering on their site there's usually good reason. Remember, they also sell to dealers, so stock is getting snapped up for resale as well as for consumer level sales. The last stone I bought from them I grabbed an hour after it was listed, on a Sunday morning - I doubt it would have lasted much longer.

David is a really nice guy and the service he provides (letting you waste as much time as you want in his office waffling about stones...) may be worth any extra price, but I really think judging a competitive price in the FCD market is hard, as prices just vary so much based on minute tiny factors for each individual stone.

I've seen some of david's in person and also follow his site regularly and I can tell you what he has is generally good. And the advice he's given me has been good as well. Take that for what it cost you, but if I were in the city I'd give him an hour of my time.

kb1gra! So helpful. Thank you. I didn't even know about Excel. Looks like there in NYC as well, but they may not have the physical inventory. I'll contact them tomorrow to see if I can view some diamonds in person. This is great! I can stop at David's and Excel and maybe come home with a yellow fancy.

It makes sense that the good stuff goes fast. I remember seeing a stone I really liked on their site and it was gone two weeks later. The stones the Leibish rep recommended me have been on the site for 3 weeks now and are being offered at an even greater discount to me. As you said, there's probably a reason for that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results