shape
carat
color
clarity

Years of waiting have finally left me…Engaged!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock

Where we left off…

BUSTED...he packed the ring in his carry on!!!!!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/busted-he-packed-the-ring-in-his-carry-on.73906/

As you can imagine I was totally freaking out when I confirmed that the ring box was really missing from its usual hiding spot. I tried to act as cool as possible but I desperately wanted to jump up and down and call everyone I know and there was a lot of shouting and cheering going on inside my head hehe. Instead I slyly posted on Pricescope and sent a few secret text messages since Nate was keeping a very close eye on me by that point. I finished planning with him what we would wear to the Christmas party and he did a very good job of acting as unconcerned as usual. I’m sure I was acting just as coolly ;-)

Somehow I managed to fall asleep that night but I woke up incredibly excited Friday morning knowing that this could possibly be my last Friday as a single gal, my last plane ride as a girlfriend, my last few hours in TX without being engaged. It was a lot of emotion to try to hide. About half way through our first flight a horrible thought struck me. I was reminded of something Nate had said earlier, when the ring first arrived, about wanting to have someone to show it off to. He has work friends and whatnot, and he was tempted to carry it in with him one day to show them, but he didn’t think a bunch of 30+ year old guys would really care about seeing the ring. In that moment I suddenly wondered if I was getting all worked up for nothing and if he had just brought the ring along to show to his family while we were home!

Luckily for anyone reading this post, you’ve no doubt noticed the title of this post so you know how it all ends, but you can only imagine how conflicted I was at this point. A huge part of me wanted to enjoy the anticipation and looked forward to the possible proposal and the other bit of me wanted to protect myself from yet another disappointment. Talk about torture!

Everything was pretty normal on Saturday. We ran some errands, watched some TV, and chatted with his family…nothing out of the ordinary. As it got closer to party time I found myself increasingly distracted and I can’t even tell you how freaked out I was when we started to get dressed and I couldn’t get my hair to cooperate. Normally this family Christmas party is anxiety inducing enough because it’s little old me surrounded by 70+ members of Nate’s family and I probably only know about 20 of their names…you do the math. On this night however, the idea of a proposal was more than I could handle and when his parents suggested a pre party cocktail, it was game on!

I think I had finished my pink zinfandel long before we all gathered for a few family photos but I was still able to look somewhat alert in the resulting pictures…

pre-proposal.jpg

Can you tell which of us looks more nervous?

It wasn’t long before the first guests started arriving and I seem to recall hitting up the wine bar a number of times after that point. Nate was doing a pretty good job of keeping up with me until he unexpectedly stopped drinking (highly unusual behavior at any family function I know). I kept asking him when we’d be able to sneak into the guest room to hang out with his sister and her boyfriend and to avoid one of his crazier aunts and he kept telling me to wait a bit. He had agreed on that particular plan the day before although he had curiously asked if I would watch Santa deliver presents to all of the little kids when the time arose which was also quite suspicious. Of all of these family Christmas parties that I’ve attended, Santa has only brought gifts for us the first time and after that we all determined that Nate and I were a bit too old to participate in this event so it was weird that he would want to watch it this year. Still, he was acting very calm, so I was beginning to have my doubts that this was the big night.

After about 100 adults and almost 40 kids had piled into the house, Santa and Mrs. Claus finally arrived with their sack full of gifts. Nate and I stood in a room just next door to the living room chatting with a family friend about vacations and Las Vegas and some sort of insurance that her kids have begun investing in and he didn’t seem all that hurried to see Santa so I continued drinking and chatting and waiting.

At one point he left the room and peered into the living room and came back to where I was standing. Without apologizing to the woman I was chatting with, he grabbed my hand and started pulling me out into the hallway saying “Come watch Santa with me.”

About that point it really started to click but I was feeling pretty relaxed so I didn’t freak out entirely. I watched as Nate’s younger and handicapped brother was called up to Santa’s side to receive a gift and I remember saying something about that being awfully sweet and then I watched as Nate walked up to Santa and was handed a small gift bag. He turned towards the crowd and pulled out a small red cardboard box that said Museum Company on it. Then I heard him say something to the effect of “Thanks Santa, this is definitely what I wanted.” I’m not really sure what happened after that but I found myself being pushed into the room to stand next to Nate as I watched him pull a small black ring box from inside the now opened red box. This kind of threw me for a loop because *my* ring’s box is red and wooden so I was a bit confused, but it didn’t take long for me to get up to speed.

One would think that picking out the stone, picking out the ring, trying on the ring, taking photos of the ring, wearing the ring around the house when Nate wasn’t around and having a good idea of exactly when the proposal would happen would take some of the element of surprise out of it for me but I’ve gotta tell you, I was almost as shocked as anybody when Nate got down on one knee in front of me (and basically everyone he knows), opened the ring box and said “Will you Marry me?”.

Or at least I think that’s what he said. Honestly he could have told me the moon was made out of green cheese because I really wasn’t hearing or seeing much of anything at that point. It was just he and I in that moment as I clasped my hands over my mouth in a look of pure surprise and starting crying. As I stared into his face I saw that he was teary eyed as well. It was an amazing moment.

I’m fairly certain I said yes then or I at least know I shook my head yes, but Nate just stayed there, on one knee, with the ring box open for what felt like an eternity. After what was probably only a couple of seconds I asked him “Well aren’t you going to put the ring on my finger?” and I’m guessing he did (or maybe I did eheh who knows) because the next thing I knew we were hugging and I was bawling like a baby and I’m sure people were clapping and cheering but I was in my own little world.

And that''s basically the story of how I ended my almost 3 year stay on the amazing Ladies in Waiting List!!

Thank you all so very much for your advice, support, and well wishes :)

hopefulheidi_ring1.jpg

P.S. If I can ever get his family to send me photos from the actual proposal I''ll be sure to share them with you guys as I''m sure they''ll be quite entertaining :)

~Heidi

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
let me be the first to say YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!
36.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
AAWWWWWWW!!!!!

I got all choked up just reading through that--congratulations a thousand times over. You deserved this so much, and what an AMAZING proposal!

Beautiful ring, beautiful picture of the two of you, beautiful story. I''m so thrilled for you!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

I''m going to chime in and say CONGRATS!!!! Yay for Heidi and Nate!!
36.gif

Excellent ring, too.
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats girl!!!!! Enjoy basking in your engagement, you certainly deserve it!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
cheerleader1.gif
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!
cheerleader1.gif

Ok, I am a total sap--that had me crying (not just tearing up, actually crying) by the end! I am SO HAPPY for you, Heidi! That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Awwww thats just a magnificant and sweet and beautiful proposal :), it got me teary

Congratulations on getting moved off the list :) you make such a beautiful couple
1.gif

Wishing you both many many UBER happy years together
1.gif

OMG all the LIW''s move one spot as well :razz:

glueck

Shiny_Rock
What a great story!! (another kleenex please!) Nate did a GREAT job!

Congratulations.... Enjoy your new status, your handsome FIANCE and your beautiful bling!

You must be one happy BIW!!!

YOO HOOOOOOOO!
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
woohooooooooooo!!! Congratulations Heidi! That proposal was great! Love the ring.

SeeShell

Rough_Rock
Congratulations, Heidi!!

Not only do you have a beautiful ring and a sweet husband-to-be, but let me say that you are also a skilled storyteller! I felt that I was right there with you, watching your proposal unfold.

You must be thrilled! Congrats again!

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! What a great proposal and beautiful ring!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
HEIDI!!! I am THRILLED to be able to take your name off the list! Your ring is exquisite, we need TONS more pics! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
36.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
That''s great! Congrats!

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Heidi! Gorgeous ring, and you two look great together.
1.gif

Happy planning!
31.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
awwwww i got teary too!!! that is so great! congrats, and beautiful ring!!!!
30.gif
36.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hurray! Congratulations, Heidi!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Heidi! What a great proposal, and what a FABULOUS ring! More pics, please!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS to our #1 gal!!

Lovely ring and proposal- THANKS for sharing.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
AWWWW! Congratulations! You two are adorable together and your proposal story is AWESOME! Single tear! (That''s what me and my best friend say to super sweet cute things!)

Not to mention that your ring is beautiful! I hope you post lots of pics in SMTR!

Hooray for HopefulHeidi and Mr. HopefulHeidi!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Heidi, congratulations on your engagement! Enjoy this special time...

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Everyone on here was going crazy waiting to hear what happened!!!
Can''t wait to see more pictures!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Heidi! Great proposal story, and of course your ring is stunning. Yay!!!
36.gif
35.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
great story and beautiful ring!!! congrats!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Heidi! What a great engagement story!

Zoe

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
What a great story! Congrats!!! And Gorgeous Ring!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Cute proposal story and gorgeous ring! I''m so happy for you...congratulations!!!
36.gif

goodfun7580

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! I am so happy for you! The ring is beautiful!
36.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaaaay! Congrats!

You''ve bumped the whole list!
2.gif

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of your supportive well wishes. You guys are the best!

As sweet as the proposal was; engaged life is even sweeter. I am over the moon. Part of me was a little afraid that nothing much would change after almost 6.5 years together but our relationship feels stronger now that we''ve taken this step together. The guy who was so hesitant to propose is like a changed man. He seems just as excited as I am and has been telling everyone he knows about his big proposal. If I didn''t know better, I wouldn''t recognize him for my previous angst ridden posts ;-)

2 cute Nate-isms:
1. He''s not a particular fan of the word "fiance" so in our first few days home he took to calling me his "fancy" hehe It was quite adorable.
2. After he picked the dogs up from the boarders and brought them back home he gave me a moment to say hello to them and then asked them "Puppies, did mommy tell you the news? That she''s permanent now?" hehe That''s my tough guy.

And even though it''s not yet Christmas, I did get yet another great present...

My future sister-in-law (wow, that sounds weird) finally found the cable to her camera and she sent us photos of the proposal. So, if you don''t mind, I''m going to post those as well.

Happy holidays everyone and thank you for all of the advice, support, and happiness that you''ve shared with me over the last few years!

~Heidi

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Nate opening his gift from "Santa".

Heidi_proposal1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results