shape
carat
color
clarity

YAY! John''s uncle agreed to be the officiant... now how do we get that done?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where does he need to sign up to officiate in CA? I know there are websites... but are some more legit than others? How do we go about doing this? I'm so excited he agreed. He said he was honored, but that he thought it was 'weird' lol! He's an Italian Catholic, so I'm not surprised that the thought of signing up on the web to marry his nephew is weird.

OH... and we booked our florist! The good one. We compromised on somethings and it's gonna work and be BEAUTIFUL.

We've scheduled to have four cake tastings in the next couple of weeks. YUM! Can't wait to book that.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
how exciting! i''m so glad everything is coming together for you
9.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 10:35:25 PM
Author:Gypsy
Where does he need to sign up to officiate in CA? I know there are websites... but are some more legit than others? How do we go about doing this? I'm so excited he agreed. He said he was honored, but that he thought it was 'weird' lol! He's an Italian Catholic, so I'm not surprised that the thought of signing up on the web to marry his nephew is weird.

OH... and we booked our florist! The good one. We compromised on somethings and it's gonna work and be BEAUTIFUL.

We've scheduled to have four cake tastings in the next couple of weeks. YUM! Can't wait to book that.
This is the site my planner recommends. I also have friends who have used this as well.
http://www.ulc.net/

Here's some very useful info about the laws in CA if you're getting married here:

Here are a couple of places to start:
http://www.dhs.ca.gov/chs/OVR/Marriage/FAQ.htm

Family Code 400-402
http://law.justia.com/california/codes/fam/400-402.htmlhttp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=52244616945+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve
Family Code 420-425
http://law.justia.com/california/codes/fam/420-425.htmlhttp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=52248817234+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
He doesn't have to do the Universal Life Church thing unless he wants to. In California, anyone (even if they are not clergy) can get deputized by a county registrar (and some city clerks too, I think) to be an officiant for one day. I would look up your county website and search on there for wedding license instructions. Usually there's a form that needs to be turned in to the clerk or registrar, and a fee ($50).

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the directions from the Alameda County clerk:
Marriages Performed By A Person Chosen By The Couple, Not Clergy or Judges

Couples with a valid license may choose to have a friend or relative of their choice deputized to perform their marriage. To make arrangements to have such a person deputized as a "One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner, Without Compensation", the person making the request should address a letter to:

Patrick O''Connell
Alameda County Clerk-Recorder
1106 Madison Street
Oakland, CA 94607

The person to be deputized must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen.

The letter, which may come from the person to be deputized, bride or groom, should include the following information:

Name, Address, and Phone Number of the Bride and the Groom
Date and place (address and city) of the Wedding
County where marriage license was/or will be purchased
Name, Address and Phone Number of the person to be deputized.

There is a $50.00 charge for this service. No appointments are set nor packets mailed prior to receipt of the request and payment. This process is done by appointment only. No walk-in''s will be accepted at any time. Upon receipt of the letter, a call will be made to book an appointment for the deputization. At the appointed time and date, the person being deputized will come to 1106 Madison Street, 1st Floor. He/She will report to the information desk to inform the clerk that he/she has an appointment to be deputized as a one-time marriage commissioner.

If he/she can''t come into the Recorder''s Office, a Notary Packet may be requested. He/she should to mail the original notarized form to the Recorder''s Office, at least one week before the wedding. Upon receipt of the notarized form we will sign off, record, and mail a copy to the Bride and Groom to have for their records. It is recommended that couples send their requests a minimum of 2-3 weeks before the wedding date (the sooner, the better). For additional information contact our Customer Service unit at 1-888-280-7708.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome Selkie!! Livermore is in Alameda so that''s the exact information I needed. I''ll have to ask John''s uncle whether he prefers to go through the county or through the ULC. THANK YOU ALL!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome! We went through exactly the same process, except for Massachusetts. It was pretty painless, just be sure to get started well ahead of time, give those bureaucractic gears plenty of time to grind...

We loved having our friend do the ceremony, it made it very special. Ironically, he''s also already ordained by ULC and performs weddings in California all the time. Not up in the Bay Area, unfortunately, or I totally would have recommended him to you!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo, Gypsy! I see you already got lots of help, but just wanted to say hooray for you on getting John''s uncle to officiate AND booking the better florist!

You''re on a roll!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Selkie and Harleigh. I''m very excited.

I''ve got to get going on booking hair and make up vendors. Get John going on his attire decisions. And finalize menu options with our venue. I''ve got a third invitation lead, a woman who does custom invites, so I may do that instead of the white aisle. I''ve got samples on the way.

I''m so looking forward to having ALL of EVERYTHING done. I LOVE completed to do lists. All the checks give me a giddy, gleeful feeling inside!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great news!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does this mean I''m not coming then?
7.gif

Lol! I am so glad its all working out for you!!!
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy...just so you know the County process requires that he go there in person and do things AND it costs $. In SF county it was about $100!!!

So we just did the ULC thing just because it was easier and free.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how exciting!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 6:27:50 AM
Author: Maisie
Does this mean I''m not coming then?
7.gif
I''m sorry Maisie! You were our second choice by far, though! LOL.

Thank you Bee and Legacy!

Neatfreak... I noticed that the county thing requires money (50 in Alameda), but I think it allows long distance people to do the paper work as long as its notarized, So it''s more of a pain for sure, and I''d prefer the ULC myself but I also know that I''m asking a large favor of a family member, so I want to give him both options and have him choose which route he feels most comfortable with. I''m, of course, hoping he goes the ULC route though! Thanks so much for the information!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
How timely! I was just trying to figure a detail of this out...

Our officiant (my cousin''s husband, yay!) lives in New York State. We live in California and the wedding will be here. Will he run into any trouble with performing the ceremony here, since he lives out of state?

(Not to threadjack, but I thought it would be valid for you, too, Gypsy
1.gif
)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very relevant. John''s uncle lives in NY state as well. : )

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 12:42:13 PM
Author: Gypsy
Very relevant. John''s uncle lives in NY state as well. : )
Perfect! I hope someone has insight for us. I posted the same question over on theknot and no one answered. Boo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the county of Alameda, I know that it says that paperwork can be done by a notary. So I am thinking that means that as long as the paper work is in order it doesn''t matter where they live. I can follow up on that.

I will have to check the ULC website to see what it says about their policies too.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for posting this question gypsy! - although this is FI''s job to sort out i couldn''t help asking a question :)

we are planning on having a friend be the officiant. not to threadjack but if we live in one county (santa clara county) in the bay area but are having the ceremony in another county (marin county). do we need to abide by marin county''s process? i would think yes but wasn''t sure.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I contacted the ULC about the living in NY performing in CA issue Musey. I''ll get back to you when they answer the question.

Ringster, if you are going through the county to get the ordination allowance I believe it has to be the county were the ceremony is being performed. At least, that''s what My understanding is. I would call the county where you are getting married and confirm though. : )

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 1:18:27 PM
Author: Gypsy

Ringster, if you are going through the county to get the ordination allowance I believe it has to be the county were the ceremony is being performed. At least, that''s what My understanding is. I would call the county where you are getting married and confirm though. : )

thanks gypsy - i thought so too! hopefully won''t be expensive or painful as the SF experience that neatfreak went through!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results