carat
color
clarity

yahoo list of 9 bad wedding cliches

slg47

Ideal_Rock
1. Dancing to 'At Last' for your first dance
2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
3. Still life photography (like an artistic photo of your dress hanging)
4. Tables named after the couple's not-so-interesting interests
5. using the term bridezilla
6. Guests as photographers
7. Dogs as ring bearers
8. The roast toast
9. The laid-back theme

what do you guys think?

here are my thoughts...

-this is a classic song but overused...but if you want to use it then why not?
2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
-not my favorite but no strong feelings either way
-I actually like some of these mixed into the wedding album
-depends on what the names are! I think this is fun and a great way to personalize your event. we are using table names :razz:
-kind of sick of this one
-not a fan
7. Dogs as ring bearers
-a fan when it makes sense based on the venue and the dog
8. The roast toast
-not a fan
9. The laid-back theme
-the article mentions that this is becoming more of a theme and not really a way to save money.
"Beachside and barnyard were once affordable alternatives to banquet halls. Now they’re just banquet halls custom-built on a beach. The bride walks down the aisle barefoot, the groom dons a linen suit and together they’re married beside the crashing waves and the $10,000 Moroccan tent decorated with velvet couches and belly dancers paid to stand like mannequins and hold bowls of hummus. But guests take home rubber flip-flops as party favors, so it's still really a whimsical, simple little affair."
no strong feelings...

Ladybug1

Shiny_Rock
I definitely do not like the roast toast.......the other stuff I do not really have any strong feelings about either way, oh but the term bridezilla is annoying :)

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
My dog is a very big part of my and my fiance's life, and so a dozen people have told me that she would be the perfect flower dog/ring bearer, and I'm almost considering it. :Up_to_something: Unfortunately it would mean that I have to transport her from our home in AZ to our wedding in NY, which makes me hesitant!

I hate the roast toast, I hate the term bridezilla-- people love to throw it around rather insensitively.

As for guests for photographers, quite literally one of my "guests" is a "photographer" (aka bought an expensive DLSR and started a photography business), and I politely told her that I don't want my guests to have to fuss or work on my wedding day. 8)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314579751|3004042 said:
2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
7. Dogs as ring bearers
8. The roast toast
9. The laid-back theme

what do you guys think?

here are my thoughts...

-this is a classic song but overused...but if you want to use it then why not?
----Agree with you on this one too.
2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
-not my favorite but no strong feelings either way
----I think a lot of cupcakes taste better than cake, so I disagree with this one.
-I actually like some of these mixed into the wedding album
----Agreed.
-depends on what the names are! I think this is fun and a great way to personalize your event. we are using table names :razz:
----I too, think it depends on the table names...if its super cheesy then I'm not into it.
-kind of sick of this one
----I agree, getting old already
-not a fan
----It's looking like our thoughts are pretty much identical ;-) Not into guests being photographers but then again, are they really a guest then?
7. Dogs as ring bearers
-a fan when it makes sense based on the venue and the dog
----I have no problem with this regardless of the venue. I think its so cute.
8. The roast toast
-not a fan
----I think its ok to say a few teasing things but not the entire speech.
9. The laid-back theme
-the article mentions that this is becoming more of a theme and not really a way to save money.
"Beachside and barnyard were once affordable alternatives to banquet halls. Now they’re just banquet halls custom-built on a beach. The bride walks down the aisle barefoot, the groom dons a linen suit and together they’re married beside the crashing waves and the $10,000 Moroccan tent decorated with velvet couches and belly dancers paid to stand like mannequins and hold bowls of hummus. But guests take home rubber flip-flops as party favors, so it's still really a whimsical, simple little affair."
no strong feelings...
----If it is done tastefully, right on!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boo to the roast toast, guests as photographers,

Everything else I am ok with. I like all wedding "themes" laid back lake, barn, beach- as long as everything fits the couple and elements of the day.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Just as I thought, my wedding included a lot of these "cliches," which I don't think are cliche at all but in fact helped to personalize my wedding, which I see as the opposite of cliched. Oh well...

-Is this really that overused? I've never been to a wedding where it was the first-dance song. I don't have strong feelings on it, but I think you should choose a song you love, not a song everyone else wants you to pick.

2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
-I'm plus-or-minus on this. I don't have any preferences about the size of the food as long as it tastes good!

-What's wrong with this? I think taking photos of the dresses, decorations, etc., is really important to help you remember all the details.

-Seeing this on the list was the only thing that actually offended me. Who's to say your interests aren't interesting? To me, giving the table just a number was boring and didn't express my personality at all. I named my tables after classical composers because I'm really into music. And I put a card on a little easel with a picture of the composer and a blurb about him below it. Don't like it? Don't read it!

-Now this I totally agree with. It's thrown around to refer to a bride who asserts herself, just like "b**ch" is used to refer to any assertive woman. I think it needs to disappear from the collective vernacular.

-I'm assuming they're referring to putting disposable cameras on the tables? We did this, but I wasn't married to the idea. It's fine as long as you also have a real photographer, because you won't get the best quality pics from guests with disposable cameras. I kind of liked the goofy pictures that the guests took with their disposable cameras. It was fun to look through them, and I could tell the guests had fun taking them.

7. Dogs as ring bearers
-Meh...I don't particularly care for using ring bearers at all, be it a dog or a kid. It could be cute though.

8. The roast toast
-I agree with this one too; toasts should be heartfelt and sincere, not embarrassing.

9. The laid-back theme
-I was disappointed to see this on here because I kept my wedding pretty casual...not barefoot and sneakers casual, but not formal. We're not formal people and wanted our wedding to reflect that. I'm sad to see this deemed a cliche.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314579751|3004042 said:
2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
7. Dogs as ring bearers
8. The roast toast
9. The laid-back theme

what do you guys think?

The only ones I would definitely not like is #5 and #8. To me, those can be offensive and offensive things have no place at a wedding. Everything else is just someone's taste and I'll flow with whatever.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1314590305|3004193 said:
Just as I thought, my wedding included a lot of these "cliches," which I don't think are cliche at all but in fact helped to personalize my wedding, which I see as the opposite of cliched. Oh well...

-Is this really that overused? I've never been to a wedding where it was the first-dance song. I don't have strong feelings on it, but I think you should choose a song you love, not a song everyone else wants you to pick.

2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
-I'm plus-or-minus on this. I don't have any preferences about the size of the food as long as it tastes good!

-What's wrong with this? I think taking photos of the dresses, decorations, etc., is really important to help you remember all the details.

-Seeing this on the list was the only thing that actually offended me. Who's to say your interests aren't interesting? To me, giving the table just a number was boring and didn't express my personality at all. I named my tables after classical composers because I'm really into music. And I put a card on a little easel with a picture of the composer and a blurb about him below it. Don't like it? Don't read it!

-Now this I totally agree with. It's thrown around to refer to a bride who asserts herself, just like "b**ch" is used to refer to any assertive woman. I think it needs to disappear from the collective vernacular.

-I'm assuming they're referring to putting disposable cameras on the tables? We did this, but I wasn't married to the idea. It's fine as long as you also have a real photographer, because you won't get the best quality pics from guests with disposable cameras. I kind of liked the goofy pictures that the guests took with their disposable cameras. It was fun to look through them, and I could tell the guests had fun taking them.

7. Dogs as ring bearers
-Meh...I don't particularly care for using ring bearers at all, be it a dog or a kid. It could be cute though.

8. The roast toast
-I agree with this one too; toasts should be heartfelt and sincere, not embarrassing.

9. The laid-back theme
-I was disappointed to see this on here because I kept my wedding pretty casual...not barefoot and sneakers casual, but not formal. We're not formal people and wanted our wedding to reflect that. I'm sad to see this deemed a cliche.

I think the article's issue with 'casual' was using 'casual' as a theme but being really upscale. I don't see anything wrong with casual weddings!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Oh ok since I do like giving my opinion on things....

Couples should choose whatever first dance song means something to them, I don't think it's fair to label this one as a cliche, it's a classic!
2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
I would choose a wedding cake over wedding cupcakes any day. However, for a cocktail/finger food style reception they are perfect.
Nope, these little details are part of telling the story of the day.
Yeah, not really into this unless it was really significant things/places to the couple and this was explained of the card
Yea, people throw it around like anything now. 99% of the time it's not fair.
Not sure, although it would be great to have some different candid shots I think guest should just enjoy themselves.
7. Dogs as ring bearers
Not keen. Sorry. But I'm not keen on ring barers in general either.
8. The roast toast
Appropriate for a 21st, not a wedding.
9. The laid-back theme
Nope, I love this. I'm a kiwi, all of the weddings I've been to have been pretty casual and chilled, in their back yard, the beach, a garden etc.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Right now I can only speak as a guest (but one with a lot of experience :D )

nothing wrong with that - I haven't heard it THAT much

2. Tiny food (cupcakes)
prefer great tasting cake but if that's not possible then great tasting cupcakes are better than dried out cake

agree kinda - these pictures remind me of ads - I'd rather see wedding pictures with people in them

I think this is cute!

its more common in print - I'm not hearing it much when people talk about weddings - and the few times they do the bride deserves it

don't see anything wrong with that? Curious that so many dislike the idea. I wouldn't like finding a camera at my table place and feel expected to take pictures but I think it would be nice to have some non-pro pics of the wedding too.

7. Dogs as ring bearers
I'm going to sound really anti-animal here but no, dogs don't belong at weddings

8. The roast toast
sounds really obnoxious!

9. The laid-back theme
I think the article's issue with this is having an apparently low scale wedding that is actually high-priced. I wonder what the author's opinion on an apparently upscale wedding that is low-priced. Honestly a few years ago, barn weddings WERE relatively inexpensive but now with the demand going up, they're not that inexpensive any more.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Um, my ffil just sent this to me. And it's the first thing he's said, at all, about the wedding (well, besides "congrats!"). I have no idea what to make of that, but I guess I can reassure him our cats won't be the ring bearers! ;))

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I'm with the majority here that these things aren't really cliche, but trendy? All of us who have gotten married in the last couple of years (and are planning right now) will have stuff in our photos that will date our wedding. Who cares?

I suppose #1 would make me feel like the couple wasn't that creative in their first dance choice, but I would find it just as meaningful to watch. If they feel fabulous dancing to that song, then let them!

I don't mind a bit of light-hearted ribbing in a toast but that's as far as it should go. Loving jokes are one thing (my MOHs told two embarrassing funny stories about me, but I knew it was with love and I didn't mind our guests hearing them), saying nothing but roast-type things in a speech is just mean.

As for the still-life photography... What is wrong with that? Details are interesting and I can't tell you how many times I've sent people pictures of my flowers or cake or centerpieces to show them what I did (DIY flowers and CPs). I'm glad my photographer took the time to capture images of those. I also love seeing shoes, jewelry, accessories, invitations, favors... really any detail!

I think the "guests as photographers" isn't necessarily a disposable camera at a table, but instead not hiring a pro and then having a friend shoot your wedding. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't see how that is cliche, either. Sometimes a pro just isn't in the budget. If you have a friend with a good eye and a decent camera I don't see the harm. I wouldn't have chosen to do this for my own wedding (photography was definitely a high high priority to me) but I don't look down my nose at those who choose to go this way. Especially don't think it is cliche.

Thinking about this list made me realize that I often disagree with most things that come from a news outlet like Yahoo or any other mainstream media. I know some things that I like about wedding will be "approved" by the people who write that stuff, but generally I disagree with some of the "advice" put out there.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Clairitek|1314637180|3004572 said:
but instead not hiring a pro and then having a friend shoot your wedding. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't see how that is cliche, either. Sometimes a pro just isn't in the budget.

Definitely, the best wedding pics I've seen were from a friend who was a photography student - the best thing about the pictures was that while he was very accomplished but he didn't look at things from a standard 'wedding photographer' eyes so he got some really great shots that I've never seen in a wedding album. Ditto the best food I've ever had at a wedding was from a restaurant that didn't normally do weddings. I understand why couples don't go the friend route though, getting photos and catering from a friend that's never done it before can be a disaster.

I think the cliche about things like still life photos and in another thread where I read about food stations in exotic locations is that while the ideas are very fresh and new to the couple, they may not be that fresh to everybody. I have worked in visual arts where a lot of the still life type shots are used for advertising so its hard not to disassociate the wedding still lifes from the ads I've seen. And my old company used to have Christmas parties in unique locations like museums with food stations all the time and the atmosphere wasn't that great so the idea of food stations is not that new and exciting. From the one wedding I've seen with them, they just served to spread people out so the party ended up as several different groups of 2 or 3 doing their own thing and not a big joyous celebration.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh please.

We had "At Last".... we were engaged for 9 years. LOL. It was fitting. I hate these lists because they are so generic. There is a reason some things endure.

I love dogs as ring bearers. I don't see any issue with your guests taking pics IF THEY WANT TO. And laid-back wedding are awesome! Some of my favorite wedding shots are still life.

Okay so I could do without bridezilla and the roast, but the rest of it is just BS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results