shape
carat
color
clarity

Xmas shopping hack: charitable giving

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t believe this didn’t dawn upon me sooner, but I’m going to gift charitable donations in honour of my gift recipients instead of worrying about shipping them presents. Everybody wins!

I’m feeling super jazzed about this and sharing in case you have someone on your list that is hard to shop for, or maybe they’re an eco-friendly minimalist, etc etc.

What are some of your favourite charitable organizations?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cat Protection
Dog Trust
A local cat sanctuary
Local Air Ambulance Service

DK :))

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
This is a great idea! We do angel tree yearly. The elderly wish lists always make me sad so we always do a bunch of those. There’s also a local, low cost spay & neuter place I like. They do free spays/ neutered for low income and are overall just a great addition to the community IMO.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t believe this didn’t dawn upon me sooner, but I’m going to gift charitable donations in honour of my gift recipients instead of worrying about shipping them presents. Everybody wins!

I’m feeling super jazzed about this and sharing in case you have someone on your list that is hard to shop for, or maybe they’re an eco-friendly minimalist, etc etc.

What are some of your favourite charitable organizations?

I've done this in lieu of gifts with friends...usually picking a cause that I know the individual is close to isf.

But this year, due to the impact of the pandemic, I am giving to the local food banks.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd be sure to discuss this with them first though. I could see someone not being pleased to send a gift as usual, then discover that their gift has been donated to charity. Unless I misunderstood...

Last edited:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
When I give i usually either give to the local animal shelter in my area. I either give money or i buy whatever specific brand it is they request of whatever it is they need. Some need donations of litter or food or blankets.

Or i give to Salvation Army because they were there for us more than once when I was younger and we needed a place to live so we didn't sleep in our car so I know donated money does still go to help people who need it. Local food banks are good as well, especially right now.

I think your idea is an excellent one!

inne

Shiny_Rock
I donate to a variety of animal rescue organizations (including two horse rescues, one of which does a lot of advocacy re: mustang policy), Orangutan Outreach, the mental health programme at my local hospital, Southern Poverty Law Center, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra's programme for kids, and a few others.

I know some people really dislike 'donation in your name!' gifts, but I would love it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We give to the Salvation Army and small local charities that don’t get any Govt funding, namely 2 children’s hospices, plus Children of the Dump in the Philippines, plus some Vets charities.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great idea! We do angel tree yearly. The elderly wish lists always make me sad so we always do a bunch of those. There’s also a local, low cost spay & neuter place I like. They do free spays/ neutered for low income and are overall just a great addition to the community IMO.

Wonderful ideas <3

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done this in lieu of gifts with friends...usually picking a cause that I know the individual is close to isf.

But this year, due to the impact of the pandemic, I am giving to the local food banks.

They will surely need a lot of help this year in particular. Good thinking.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be sure to discuss this with them first though. I could see someone not being pleased to send a gift as usual, then discover that their gift has been donated to charity. Unless I misunderstood...

Valid point! I am definitely keeping that in mind, and doing this type of gift for the people who always say “don’t get me anything!!” Or people to whom I don’t have to give a gift or we don’t always do gifts with.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I give i usually either give to the local animal shelter in my area. I either give money or i buy whatever specific brand it is they request of whatever it is they need. Some need donations of litter or food or blankets.

Or i give to Salvation Army because they were there for us more than once when I was younger and we needed a place to live so we didn't sleep in our car so I know donated money does still go to help people who need it. Local food banks are good as well, especially right now.

Wow, thank you for sharing that. Very good to know that donations make a difference.

And it was actually a friend of mine who inspired me! So my idea was borrowed from her, and I have to admit I hope that by posting here I can give others this good idea if it suits them. Sharing is caring <3

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I donate to a variety of animal rescue organizations (including two horse rescues, one of which does a lot of advocacy re: mustang policy), Orangutan Outreach, the mental health programme at my local hospital, Southern Poverty Law Center, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra's programme for kids, and a few others.

I know some people really dislike 'donation in your name!' gifts, but I would love it.

I agree- best to give this kind of gift to people that would appreciate it. I love the idea of supporting a mental health program.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We give to the Salvation Army and small local charities that don’t get any Govt funding, namely 2 children’s hospices, plus Children of the Dump in the Philippines, plus some Vets charities.

That’s so wonderful <3

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think its just rude.
I am very picky about which charities I support so I would be very ticked if it was the wrong one.
I would much rather just have a card.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only do that if I knew the intended recipient already donated to the particular organization or would support doing so.

That being said, some of my favorite charitable organizations are The Blue Card, NAACP, Feeding America and my local Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) member station.

Other than that I donate to community organizations including an animal shelter, a domestic violence shelter and a food bank. Oh, and national ailment-related organizations.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Salvation Army, used to gift my brother's trust fund kids with these. (He's divorced.) And I love the spay and neuter services, that does a lot of good. Too many cats with no homes.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

MeowMeow, thank you for this endorsement. I donate to the Salvation Army because I believe they help people, thank you for verifying this. And I give to the local animal shelter. They're spread pretty thin.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
There are so so many worthy causes to donate to! Recently, I've decided to focus on the most essential of needs - primarily clean water, food, and health related causes. I've also donated to social justice and environmental causes.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Donor's Choose! SO many teachers are STRUGGLING with school supplies right now! Schools have no money. I myself have been teaching remote. I buy all of my supplies, new computer, printer, ink, online website subscriptions, my utilities obviously, school background, etc. Teachers in school have even more in some cases since students can't share like they used to. Worth considering!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask the recipient what charity they wanted me to donate to in their name if that was the gift I was giving. I prefer to give to charities for my gifts and not so much for others unless we have agreed/discussed doing so.

IMO A gift is for the recipient and not what you would want so that is why I would make sure they were totally onboard with that. And to add one thing. I would find it pretentious to donate to a charity I found worthwhile as a gift for someone else. If I am donating to a charity in someone else's name as their gift I would make sure it is a charity they want me to donate to. A charity of their choice not of mine. It's their gift after all.

When I give a gift I ask myself what would bring happiness to that person? I would just prefer getting them a gift they would really enjoy and leave the donating to charities for my personal gifts. Unless they have specifically said yes please donate to (fill in the blank) this charity for my gift. So far this (entire) year as I haven't bought anything (gift wise) for myself (from my DH that is lol) and donated what I would have spent on my gifts to my favorite (local animal) charities.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 6.00.44 AM.png

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I think this can be tricky.
My in-laws always gift us a donation to a charity. We reciprocate in kind. Its understood that is what each of us will do and I think it's an example of successfully giving to charity as a gift.
My sister, on the other hand, gave my daughter a charitable donation for her 15th birthday. The charity was for a food bank in my sister's community (in a different country than ours), along with a note reminding her to say thank you (as is my sister's wont ). My daughter politely thanked her but the thoughtlessness of the "gift" ticked me off. I would classify that as as an example of failed attempt at giving to charity as a gift.

I’d be happy to receive a donation made in my name towards a charity of my choice. It’s something I probably won’t do with a child/teen though. I loved getting presents as a kid :D

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I 2nd finding out those who want such a gift and if so what reflects their values. My Mom would hate such a gift. My niece otoh that is what she asks for every year. She shares with us a list of organizations she would like donations to in leiu of gifts. Most lkely I will do that. Rainforest Trust is a popular one.
Conservation International is having a matching gift period where 100% of the gift is matched for the first 55K donated. They are a highly effective organization for working on the ground to protect biologically diverse but threatened hot spots and the plants and animals that live there.

Each time i've done Facebook's Giving Tuesday, none of my contributions were matched. But- it sounds like they are doing it a little differently this time so will give it more one try!

I also donate to my local foodbank. My niece works at her local foodbank. They are unusual in that they both give grocery items, as well as prepared food, donated by the local culinary school. They create thanksgiving boxes with turkeys etc. But they also provide prepared meals for elderly and people who can not easily cook or prepare their own meals year round.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Edit....lol, nevermind what I have going on with this. TMI probably.

If I were giving locally, I would give to your nearest homeless shelter. With COVID, things are nuts. It's hard enough to run a shelter. With COVID outbreaks and the need to separate folks, it's critical and expensive to keep everyone safe.

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I echo what Missy said. Also, ask what they want. They may be happy to go with your choice, or suggest a different charity, or (as I would) gently suggest you both stop exchanging gifts and keep the money to donate privately to whomever you both wish.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Just to offer a different perspective. Most years I would 200% love a donation gift, or no gift at all really. I usually don't like material gifts, but for some reason this year with COVID, I really would like gifts to open in the absence of celebrations with friends and family. I suppose it's filling a void, but just something to consider.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results