color
clarity

wwyd?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm going to do post a ask PS :}
The setup:
Wifey and I are waiting for our pizza to be ready.
In comes a a youngish couple with 4 kids.
I would say 4-5-6ish boys and a baby.
The mom is carrying the baby and the guy is carrying the baby seat and walking with the older children.
The older children climb up into their chairs and quietly wait.
No running around, they were very well behaved the whole time we were there.
I was tempted to compliment the parents but kept quiet.
Would you have said something?
pizza.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn’t (I don’t believe we should comment on anyones child rearing, what you see as positive could be the result of not so nice things), but I also think basic manners should be the bare minimum? It’s not like they started vacuuming or walking old ladies to their seat, they sat quietly. Not much of an achievement imo lol.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO someone else’s behaviour is only my business if it’s affecting me - or other people around that person. Kids sitting quietly at their table have no effect on me, the restaurant staff, or other patrons, so they’re not my business.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly they are not from earth.

Not knowing the real agenda :Up_to_something:of these visitors from planet Voltar, I would have immediately left.
After driving a safe distance I would have pulled over, started breathing again, and called 911, FBI, CIA.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
One good thing the lousy past few years did for me was make me far more likely to go through with it when I have a kind impulse, whether it's a donation or a kind word or whatever. Before, I most often would not, out of fear of feeling stupid or something, I guess. But now I do it (usually). :)

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clearly they are not from earth.

Not knowing the real agenda :Up_to_something:of these visitors from planet Voltar, I would have immediately left.
After driving a safe distance I would have pulled over, started breathing again, and called 911, FBI, CIA.
Rofl! that is funny.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you everyone who has posted so far!
This is actually a complex subject for me as I agree with both the people saying yes and those saying no.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... This is actually a complex subject for me as I agree with both the people saying yes and those saying no.

Me too.
I was going to suggest giving a brief compliment but telephone89 makes an excellent point.

It is certainly not normal - not that normal is always better.
When something looks too unusual and perfect something sinister may be going on.
Have you seen the film, "The Stepford Wives"?
They should do a remake called, "The Stepford Kids".

9.jpg

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was tempted to compliment the parents but kept quiet.
Would you have said something?

Criticizing will seldom end well. But saying something nice? Fire away!!

Separately, it is also good for the kids to hear, imo. They're putting some energy into being on their best behavior and appreciate when it's noticed -- especially by a non-parent. (If you can not tell, I had a horse in this race for many, many years. :mrgreen2: )

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps they are French! :lol-2: They can't be Brits or they would be running riot. :roll2:

Yes I would have complimented how well-behaved they are.

DK =)2

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perhaps they are French! :lol-2: They can't be Brits or they would be running riot. :roll2:

Yes I would have complimented how well-behaved they are.

DK =)2

We had lunch in a nice, well known Paris restaurant during a holiday in France a few years ago. Two families, with 4 children under the age of 8 in our group. The kids sat and talked with the adults during the meal, tried everything and behaved well. The French family at the next table had two children with them of a similar age to ours. The French children spent the entire meal with headphones on staring at iPads. I admit I internally gloated given the books floating around at the time about how to get children to behave and eat like French kids! (I also thanked my lucky stars that our kids happened to be on good form that day :lol:)

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Separately, it is also good for the kids to hear, imo. They're putting some energy into being on their best behavior and appreciate when it's noticed -- especially by a non-parent.
This. Reinforcing good behaviour is kinder, and arguably more effective in the long run, than punishing bad behaviour. Carrot not stick! Ultimately that’s for the parents to do, but a kind comment rarely causes offence.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Separately, it is also good for the kids to hear, imo. They're putting some energy into being on their best behavior and appreciate when it's noticed -- especially by a non-parent.
This. Reinforcing good behaviour is kinder, and arguably more effective in the long run, than punishing bad behaviour. Carrot not stick!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up with very straight parenting (hence I am living 8h time zone away from my mum to this day), and they firmly believed children should not be seen or heard until they could behave themselves.

We would attend family banquets with a maid in tow, and if we misbehaved, we would be taken back home right away with no messing about.

DK :))

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have given compliments in similar situations, but I always say "What a lovely family you are!" They can interpret that any way they like, but I imagine the parents are hearing "How well behaved your children are!"

BTW, how was the pizza! :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. I (generally) always share good things I am thinking with others when it pertains to them. There is so much negativity in the world that when something is surprisingly wonderful I speak up.

Of course it might depend the specific circumstance and if I thought the person/couple/family might not be receptive I would keep quiet. I read the situation so to speak and in real life I am pretty perceptive that way. Some would say I am very intuitive. So yes I would share my thoughts if I thought they would be pleased to hear them.

And may I add, OMG that pizza looks scrumptious. :lickout:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s so sweet when someone makes a brief, kind comment about my children’s behavior! We work hard on manners and kindness, and it’s nice to get some reinforcement from others. It takes a village, right?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giordanos? That’s what we had for dinner last night! Mmmmmmmmm…..

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I have complimented on numerous occasions and it has always been well received.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have given compliments in similar situations, but I always say "What a lovely family you are!" They can interpret that any way they like, but I imagine the parents are hearing "How well behaved your children are!"

BTW, how was the pizza! :lickout:
pizza was awesome.
Just a bit up from estate on mulford.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would! When we get random compliments out it's always so nice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... speaking of pizza.
Back when I ate pizza I loved it.
Today it would probably send me to the ER.
The best was that deep dish kind we got in Chicago.

Actually was at Beau Jo's in Denver.
It's DA BOMB, DIGGITY BOMB BOMB!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results