shape
carat
color
clarity

WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes Here!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Another really good one from Cooking Light. So easy to make and very, very good. Would make a healthy alternative to potato salad or as a healty side.

Chicken Couscous Salad

Yield
4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Ingredients
Salad:
1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (5.7-ounce) box uncooked couscous
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup diced radishes (about 3 large)
1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Dressing:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Preparation
To prepare salad, bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Spoon couscous into a large bowl; cool slightly. Add chicken, onions, radishes, cucumber, parsley, and pine nuts; toss gently to combine.

To prepare dressing, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to combine.

Note: You can toast nuts quickly in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Stir frequently, and as soon as they become fragrant, remove the nuts from the pan.

Nutritional Information
Calories:334 (29% from fat)
Fat:10.9g (sat 2g,mono 5.9g,poly 2.1g)
Protein:20.9g

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
One of my favorite recipes is from hungrygirl.com
She has amazing recipes and they''re all healthy.

Taco Bell''s Crunchwrap Supreme may look cool, but trust us, it''s a nutritional mess. Our swap has less than half the calories (WAY less!), a teeny tiny fraction of the fat, and ALL the cuteness (and deliciousness) of the real thing. Check it out...

Ingredients:
1 La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low-Fat Tortilla; Large**
3 baked corn tortilla chips (like Guiltless Gourmet''s Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips)
1/3 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like Boca Ground Burger or Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles)
1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded lettuce
1/3 tomato, diced
1 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
1/2 tsp. taco seasoning

Directions:
Combine frozen soy crumbles, cheese and taco seasoning in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Warm tortilla for a few seconds in the microwave (making it easier to fold without ripping), and then lay it out on a flat surface. Place the soy crumble mixture in the center of the tortilla. Flatten the mixture into a circle, keeping it about 2 inches from the edge of the tortilla. Next, layer the tortilla chips on top of the soy crumble mixture. Evenly top with sour cream, lettuce and then tomato. FOLDING INSTRUCTIONS: Starting at the bottom of the tortilla, fold edge up to the center of the tortilla. Then going around the edge of the tortilla, repeatedly fold overlapping sections to meet the center, for a total of about 6 folds (until filling is completely enclosed). In a pan sprayed with nonstick spray, over medium heat, carefully place the folded tortilla in the center of the pan (folded side down). Heat for 3 - 4 minutes. Carefully flip the wrap with a spatula and heat for another 30 seconds. Enjoy! MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 Crunchtastic Supreme (entire recipe)
Calories: 210
Fat: 4.5g
Sodium: 868mg
Carbs: 32g
Fiber: 16g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 25g

POINTS® value 4*

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas12, I tried your Asian-inspired Lettuce Wraps this evening and they were delicious! Thanks for that recipe!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Arugala and Strawberry Salad
Makes 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each

ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 cups baby arugula or torn arugula leaves
2 cups sliced strawberries (about 10 ounces)
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved and crumbled into small pieces (1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar (see Ingredient note)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1. Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a salad bowl; let cool for 5 minutes.
2. Add arugula, strawberries, Parmesan, pepper and salt. Sprinkle vinegar and oil over the salad; toss gently and serve at once.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 204 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrate; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
TIP: Ingredient Note: Aged balsamic vinegar (12 years or older) is a treat, but not an economical one. If you don’t want to spring for a $40 bottle, use regular balsamic. Alternatively, bring 1/2 cup regular balsamic vinegar to a boil over high heat in a small skillet. Cook until the vinegar begins to thicken and become syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes.

Made this for my DH tonight... it is FABULOUS, and I WILL be making this again. YUMMO! and very filling!)
18.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made this tonight and it was fabulous! The ginger and the other ingredients worked so well together; definitely YUMMY
3.gif

7 WW pts per serving and makes 4 servings

thai chicken with ginger sauce

Ingredients

1 cup water
1 (1/2 ounce) package dried wood ear mushrooms
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce (nam pla) a clear sauce
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 1/4 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
8 scallions, cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (this is wonderful)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 pound sugar ginger snap peas
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups cooked brown rice

1. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the dried mushrooms; remove from the heat and let stand 20 mins. Drain the mushrooms; coarsely chop and set aside. *I actually bought mushrooms that were already sliced. They look small in the package but reconstituted increase almost 6 times in size.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and fish sauce in a small bowl; set aside.

3. Heat the oil over high heat in a large nonstick skillet, then add the chicken. Saute until lightly browned about 3 mins (I did a tiny bit longer). Transfer to a plate.

4. Return the skillet to the heat, then add the scallions, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant (this smells wonderful) and the scallions have softened slightly, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, chicken, snap peas, and broth mixture; bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until heated through and slightly thickened, about 2 mins. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with rice.

per serving ( 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup rice) 353 calories and 8 g fat and 4 g fiber

The pan that you use heat everything in step 3 and 4 needs to be on the large size (I also covered it so it could steam toward the end of cooking a bit so the snap peas would soften). I went to my local Asian Grocery Store and took my list to Customer service so they could help me find the fish sauce (Nam Pla, a little bottle is perfect) and the dried wood ear mushrooms. Happy eating.
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marmalade Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Orange marmalade and freshly grated orange zest make a deliciously tangy sauce for quick-cooking chicken tenders. Serve with brown rice.

4 servings | Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
•1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
•2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
•2 tablespoons orange marmalade (I used apricot preserves as I like the taste better)
•1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
•1 teaspoon cornstarch
•1 pound chicken tenders
•1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
•1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
•6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
•2 large shallots, minced
•1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation
1.Whisk broth, vinegar, marmalade, mustard and cornstarch in a medium bowl.
2.Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
3.Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add it to the pan. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Add the chicken; return to a simmer. Cook, turning once, until the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in orange zest.
Nutrition
Per serving : 213 Calories; 8 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 68 mg Cholesterol; 10 g Carbohydrates; 27 g Protein; 0 g Fiber; 246 mg Sodium; 55 mg Potassium

1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 very lean meat

Note: I debated whether to buy an orange just to get the orange zest; you really need the orange zest!!! It really makes this dish delicious!
9.gif
3.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Re: WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes

I made this last night and it was super delicious!! no proper recipe im afraid i just threw it all together but its super simple so i dont think it matters...

Chicken and Risoni (pasta)

First i marinaded two chicken breasts in lemon juice and garlic for a little while...
Cook the chicken in a pan with the lemon juice and garlic (no need for oil or anything), after a little while add a quarter cup or so of thin cream and mix it all about, keeping cooking the chicken.
Cook about a cup or so of risoni and set it aside...
When the chicken is done, remove it from the pan and cut it into strips.
Meanwhile, add the cooked risoni to the pan with the cream in it and heat for a minute or two (you can add a bit more cream or not, depending on your taste), then add a cup or so of peas and a couple of tablespoons of chopped mint, and the chicken...
Cook for a minute or two more and then serve. I like it with parmesan (cheese fiend here!) but thats obviously not so healthy :bigsmile:

and i think its a versatile kinda dish, in that you could add cherry tomatoes, or pancetta or a lot of other things!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock

Three Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine from Cooking Light (Also known as my new addiction)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
Cooking spray
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) carton 2% low-fat cottage cheese
4 cups hot cooked penne (about 8 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
2 cups shredded roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425°.

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, oregano, and black pepper; sauté 3 minutes or just until spinach wilts.

Place cottage cheese in a food processor or blender; process until very smooth. Combine spinach mixture, cottage cheese, pasta, chicken, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, milk, and soup in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Nutritional Information
Calories:
345 (25% from fat)
Fat:
9.7g (sat 5.1g,mono 3.1g,poly 1g)
Protein:
31.7g
Carbohydrate:
32.9g
Fiber:
2.1g
Cholesterol:
56mg
Iron:
2mg
Sodium:
532mg
Calcium:
275mg

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock

This soup is sooooo yummy and soooooo easy to make. Like ridiculous easy to make. I used hot sausage, which might be too much for some people, but it was perfect!

Ingredients
8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Preparation
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.

Nutritional Information
Calories:216 (30% from fat)
Fat:7.1g (sat 2.6g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.8g)
Protein:17.4g
Carbohydrate:20g
Fiber:1.6g
Cholesterol:52mg
Iron:3.2mg
Sodium:1020mg
Calcium:153mg

uklfstyle

Rough_Rock

thank you Mara :* very helpfull and tasty:D

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock

Can we bump this?? I need more healthy recipes for the new year!!

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock

I nice summer receipe, that is low in calories and fat, high protein, and if you love shrimp like me and my boyfriend then you'll love this:

Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Green Beans
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 6 oz shrimp & 1-1/2 cups green beans
Calories: 257.3 • Fat: 5.1g • Protein: 35.9 g • Carb: 17.4 g • Fiber: 4.1 g

Ingredients:
•2 tsp. olive oil
•2 lb. shrimp, shelled and deveined
•6 cloves garlic, crushed
•1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
•1 lime
•salt and pepper
•6 cups green beans

Directions:
Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan, when hot add shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. When the shrimp is cooked on one side, about 2 minutes, turn over and add garlic. Sauté another minute or two until shrimp is cooked, careful not to overcook. Remove from heat. Squeeze lime all over shrimp and toss with cilantro. Serve hot.

In a separate pan, add 6 cups green beans, crushed garlic to taste, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium high for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and cover, cook for an additional 8 minutes. Uncover and cook until water evaporates. Serve hot on the side of shrimp.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results