shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPS do? Need advice about a possbile purchase-long!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want wheels why not look for a used bicycle and one of those Chariot trailer things to put the kid in next spring? Those are super crunchy! The trailers start at around $450, I think (probably a bit more in Canada), plus you can attach them to skis, add an attachment to make them into a stroller, etc. I think that is the sort of contraption that would be right up your alley.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Biggest thing about a collector vehicle is repairs.

Who is going to repair it, for how much, and where are they going to get the parts?

I also think you're paying too much, frankly. Did you check ebay motors? See what they're really going for. I don't see this as being worth more than $2300-$2500.

When you're tired of it, what will you do with it? How will you unload it?

If you can answer those questions, then go for it.

BTW: can't you just drop off and pick up the DH at work, so you have a car during the day?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps it's the timing of this purchase that is in question. I wouldn't go with the idea that this is the best, most suitable bargain that will ever come up. If you really want it the dream won't go away and another bargain will present itself.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot imagine being without a car, especially with a baby. Not only is it important to have a vehicle for dr visits, you may want to take your little one to the pool or the library, once he/she is a toddler and it'd be nice to get out of the house and meet other moms & do activities. I'd set aside funds for a car.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
Biggest thing about a collector vehicle is repairs.

Who is going to repair it, for how much, and where are they going to get the parts?

I also think you're paying too much, frankly. Did you check ebay motors? See what they're really going for. I don't see this as being worth more than $2300-$2500.

When you're tired of it, what will you do with it? How will you unload it?

If you can answer those questions, then go for it.

BTW: can't you just drop off and pick up the DH at work, so you have a car during the day?

A vintage Vespa has a monetary value only if it has original Vespa spar parts and they are expensive and difficult and to find also in Italy.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for your advice-I'll address everyone below but I'll start off by saying I just sent off an email to the seller WITHOUT making an offer. I thanked her very much for the opportunity but explained to her that when I left my information I didn't expect her to reply within a couple of weeks-I had hoped it would be a year or so down the road.

There are many reasons for this but after much self reflection and discussing it with my husband and reading a few more points on here (which I'll address below) and to add in the hassle of trying to sell the jewelery and shipping it internationally and paypal taking some of the funds...it just wasn't worth it. Add in the repairs (which I didn't even consider-but probably could have easily had my FIL done) and the fact that I just sold my Audi TT convertible since it was impractical with a baby on the way-it didn't make much sense to add something like a Vespa to the mix.

Movie Zombie & smitcompton & Enerchi & minousbijoux & Zoe & Jennifer W: Thanks so much for the advice :) I'm hoping that in a few years (or later on in life) that another opportunity will present itself to get a vespa. My FIL is in the process of restoring an old army jeep and perhaps someday we'll run across a steal of a deal (not one in mint condition) that my husband and I can work on together with my FIL. Dreams will always be there-and I'm quite comfortable with the decision to let this one go. The timing just isn't right. Selling quite a bit of the pieces I don't get a lot of wear out of could have funded all-if not most-of what I was going to offer the seller-but even then it wasn't a guarantee she would accept the offer and I wasn't even going to be able to take the proper classes to ride it until next spring/summer-and buying something to have it sit for a time when I *might* be able to take classes and ride it...well...yeah I just couldn't do it with everything else going on.

Loves Vintage & EricaR & FrekeChild & diamondseeker & monarch64 & Ilander & Polished & MC:

I'll try to address everything-if I forget something I'm sorry-pregnancy brain lol!

We live in a very small town (I actually don't even think it's a town-it may be a hamlet for all I know) but it does have good public transportation-if I were to need it. There isn't a hospital near by-but we do have a nurse practitioners office-and actually I'm pretty sure the ambulance goes to that. I'm not to worried about the baby getting sick-although I do realize these things happen-but I don't plan on taking the baby out and there will be no day care or interaction with other children. So unless DH gets something or we pick something up at church (which I won't be attending for quite a few weeks after the birth) I don't foresee that being an issue. Now I realize that no one does-but my gf has BF her 3 kids and none of them have gotten sick (1 and 3) and she also works outside of the home. But if something were to go wrong-we do have a support system in place to take care of those sorts of things.

Currently everything is only a 5/10 minute bike ride away-and we will be getting a carrier for the baby for our bikes-that is for sure!

Liz: Your post really struck me since I JUST got rid of my Audi TT. It wasn't a winter car-and a 2 seater just wasn't practical-no matter how much I loved it. I had already made the decision not to make an offer but when I read your post-it just added to it that it isn't the right time.

EricaR: Yes it was indeed my bio. father that PS was generous enough to help out. I'm not sure when the wedding is (they've slowed things down a bit) since he's going in for some very serious knee surgery that is taking a team of surgeons and with his medication/health issues I'm praying he makes it off the table. That is next month. And if I were to help out all my family (and I would if I could) I would be homeless for the rest of my life-and I'm being quite honest here. I'm very grateful that PSers were kind enough to extend what they did to my family-as is he-but the fact of the matter is we can't help everyone. We offer support in other ways since throwing money at my family (not just my dad) wouldn't ever fix the issues since they can't manage money anyways-but that's neither here nor there.

Polished: I have a feeling if I'm meant to get a Vespa another better deal will come along. It might not be in the same condition-or have been in a movie-but the timing will be better. I really wasn't expecting to hear from her a week after leaving my number-I thought a year at least-but I guess I was wrong!

The whole car thing-I'm not worried about it. I send my Audi back to the USA last Nov. and I've survived without one. We'll continue to survive without one. Driving my DH to and from work isn't an option since it's almost an hour commute-as of right now he has flexibility to put in the hours and can leave early/stay late to make up those hours for any midwife appts and Dr's appts that may arise. If an emergency were to occur there are many options available to us and as I stated earlier-we have a plan in place for another vehicle a year or so down the road. The baby won't be here until Oct. and by the winter will almost be upon us-and I don't go out in the winter. I rarely did when I had a car (actually I stored it then) I hate the snow-I can veggies/fruits for the long winter months and we buy meat in bulk and store it in a bunker freezer and don't go out. I'm also make quite a bit of our own cleaning supplies-and plan on making un-paper-towels since we are cloth diapering and are quite environmentally friendly and so I'm really not in need of a car as many families with small children are.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me organize my thoughts. If a rainy day ever comes I will have jewelery I won't be sad to sell-but for now I'll enjoy it the once a month or year it comes out for the light of day. Although I have a feeling after the baby arrives I'll be wearing it less and less-mainly bc every child I've held goes right for my earrings/necklaces but as they get older I'll have to worry about that less. We leave for our honeymoon in the next couple of weeks and a second wedding reception and friends/family coming up for a visit the thought of the Vespa or letting it go isn't even going to cross my mind. I think I already knew when I started this thread that I wouldn't be getting it-just had hope that it could *somehow* work. But I knew better-I'm to practical some times for my own good :D

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1339433726|3213842 said:
I don't plan on taking the baby out and there will be no day care or interaction with other children.

Yeah, if your baby isn't in daycare, he/she may not get sick, so I can understand that...but you probably will want to interact with other moms & have the baby meet other kids when reaching toddler age, so a car may be something you want to consider a few years from now. Something to keep in mind: Cabin fever starts to set in when you have little ones! ;))

ETA - If you live in a small town, you can get by with basics...but you may decide to put your child in swimming lessons or other activities at some point and this may require traveling out of your neighborhood. It's SO healthy for kids to be active with other kids!!!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1339436273|3213883 said:
I don't plan on taking the baby out and there will be no day care or interaction with other children.

Yeah, if your baby isn't in daycare, he/she may not get sick, so I can understand that...but you probably will want to interact with other moms & have the baby meet other kids when reaching toddler age, so a car may be something you want to consider a few years from now. Something to keep in mind: Cabin fever starts to set in when you have little ones! ;))

ETA - If you live in a small town, you can get by with basics...but you may decide to put your child in swimming lessons or other activities at some point and this may require traveling out of your neighborhood. It's SO healthy for kids to be active with other kids!!!

Bwahahaha! I just realized what i wrote. No I did NOT mean my kid is going to be having ZERO interaction with kids. There will be interaction-just not at school/day care since I plan on homeschooling (but that's down the road). The baby will have interaction with other kids though church/family/kids on our street. Just not something I have to worry about until the baby is old enough to interact with other kids. I know toddlers will want to see the baby/etc but it's not like it's something I have to really worry about until the crawling stage :lol:

BTW: I do plan on taking my baby to infant swim lessons at a near by salt water pool. Probably at around 6 months of age since we live near a nice fresh water lake and being able to swim is important. Our friend just did it when their LO was 6 months old and she loved it. It was something I was already looking into when she told me about it so I'm glad to hear that the baby enjoyed it :rodent:

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Good job on making the right decision for right now in your life. I have a toddler and one on the way and I'd LOVE a vespa and it would totally work for my commute, but the darn kid needs to get places and I fill up the back of the car on grocery runs so can't say that I think a Vespa would solve any of your issues other than fulfill your desire.

I do have to point out that ear infections are the worst thing ever and aren't caught from others, they just happen and then you MUST get help for the baby or the guilt/screaming/pain of watching them suffer will destroy you. I hope your public transportation is awesome, I can walk to the pediatrician's place and it still seems far when the little dude was suffering from an ear infection and friends have seen it happen with UTIs and all sorts of things that babies can get even if sealed in a tiny sterile bubble. So knocking on wood that your little person has an amazing immune system!

Ahem, if you haven't worn that little sapphire by the yard, I could find a nice cozy home for it where it would get to go out and about all the time on adventures.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1339438474|3213916 said:
MC|1339436273|3213883 said:

Bwahahaha! I just realized what i wrote. No I did NOT mean my kid is going to be having ZERO interaction with kids. There will be interaction-just not at school/day care since I plan on homeschooling (but that's down the road). The baby will have interaction with other kids though church/family/kids on our street. Just not something I have to worry about until the baby is old enough to interact with other kids. I know toddlers will want to see the baby/etc but it's not like it's something I have to really worry about until the crawling stage :lol:

BTW: I do plan on taking my baby to infant swim lessons at a near by salt water pool. Probably at around 6 months of age since we live near a nice fresh water lake and being able to swim is important. Our friend just did it when their LO was 6 months old and she loved it. It was something I was already looking into when she told me about it so I'm glad to hear that the baby enjoyed it :rodent:

hahahaha!!! I wasn't sure how to interpret what you wrote...guess I took it a bit too literally. lol!!!

Baby swim lessons are so fun! I did that...it's mostly just taking the baby in the pool with mom and swishing him/her around in the water. My son loved it except when the teacher had us try dunking the babies heads under water...about half the little ones in class started crying. Now, both kids love swimming. Salt water pool will be perfect! You're lucky to have one by you.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh man. I really think this is your subconscious wishing to be fancy-free again ... the life NOT lived etc etc. Because this purchase doesn't seem suitable for your real, actual life IN ANY WAY.

It's human to want things that are unusual & rare & hard-to-find again. But read your own post: "that she only drove a few times". That is what would happen to you. It's what happens to everyone. Yes, you could gaze at it adoringly but you'll hardly ever use it and the few times you do - sorry - it's quite dangerous. What do emergency responders call motorcyclists and scooter-riders again? Organ donors. You're growing up. You've taken on a lot of responsibility in a short time ... getting married, buying a home, having a child. Enjoy those things and put your efforts in those direction. Flights of fancy seem a lot better & more satisfying than they actually turn out to be.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1339189648|3212065 said:
My first thought was the baby too. I know you have neighbours that could watch the little one, but wouldn't you rather have transport that you could take it with you instead of always needing a sitter if you need to pop out?
It's not cool to expect to rely on neighbors you barely know to watch your baby because you'd prefer a solo-transit *vespa* to an eventual 2nd car. It's *selfish*. I don't think you ARE selfish. But that's a *selfish* scenario that you're pondering in your desperation to SOMEHOW justify what you realize down deep is a wholly impractical purchase. It's also dangerous. Dangerous to ride & dangerous not to have transport if your baby becomes ill. Relying on others is okay in a pinch ... not as a lifestyle choice. I have a feeling that your "kiddo in a sidecar" dreams are going to RADICALLY chance once that baby pops out & stirs up maternal anxiety & protective natures. :-o

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever the voice of reason, Deco, I think your opinions are spot on.

Vintage lover, did you get a chance to look up Chariot trailers yet? You didn't mention my suggestion in your last post but I really think you might be a fan. Also what about saving selling your jewelry for a really rainy day, or keeping it for the baby someday? At least the diamonds?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad that you are happy with your decision - that counts for a lot! You have to be happy in your mind, with which ever path you decided to take, and it sounds like you are comfortable and confident this is the right one. Congrats - the Vespa, if it is meant to be - will be there (or the equivalent) when it is the right time for you. I believe in that.

Things that are meant to be, will be.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see now that you've decided to pass ... didn't read til the end before posting! Want to add that I, too, have a few "lamps" in my life. But they aren't true regrets for me because I made those decisions then *for good reason*. I either couldn't afford the item or had differing priorities at the time. For me it's not a real heartache to think of the things that got away because I'm content that I did the best thing I could at the time w/the resources I had. It's not about being *stodgy* or practical vs. being a live-for-the-moment bon vivant. It's about DISCERNMENT. Is *this* the thing worth throwing caution to the wind for? Does *this* reflect my values & my priorities and my actual life/lifestyle? I'm sure there will times when seizing-the-antique will be your choice. Am guessing that you'll know it in your gut immediately if you'll be happy or regret a purchase. If you really, really listen to your own gut. Not ego. Not guilt. But gut.

You're at the very beginning of huge new endeavors. You're still learning what marriage or motherhood or home ownership are like. All of the above are full of compromise and enormous (often unexpected) expenses. Your joy is going to come in all sorts of unexpected ways too. I'm excited for you. And I wish you tons of luck along the way!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreams have a way of always still being there. Just because you don't do it now, doesn't mean it won't ever happen. I've always wanted to get into a giant tomato fight in Spain. Wanted to do this with a close friend since the late 90's. Then life happened. Work, marriage, kids.

My friend and I found a "pocket" of time while raising kids where it now makes sense for us to go fling tomatoes. We have one child each (and no more coming), finances are stable, and we're healthy, so we're taking the tomato and throwing it!

Point is, if it stays a dream long enough, you'll find ways to get it when it's right. And if it no longer remains a dream, you'll have others to replace it and shoot for. ;))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what would I do? my first responsibility is to my kid. what if an emergency came up and you had to get the baby to the hospital or something? relying on your neighbors for help sounds like a not very good idea IMO.

if this is really a dream of yours, it'll still be there in 5/10/20 years down the road when hopefully you have more money and you won't have to choose between a safe ride for your baby OR something that seems like it'd be fun. good luck!

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Rhea|1339184584|3212006 said:
You remembered the scooter two years later? What else do you remember you wish you'd bought two year after the fact? I'm going to guess very few things. That alone, wanting and remembering it for that long, would make me do it. If you don't ride it, sell it. I wouldn't part with any sentimental items of jewelery for it as I think you'll reach your $3,000 goal long before you sell all your hoard.

Exactly -I'm worried that you will regret not getting the Vespa, you've been thinking about it so long.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are you going to do when a real emergency comes up and you don't have any more jewelry to sell to help with that? I think what you're considering is irresponsible and immature. If you've wanted a Vespa this long, you'll surely want one when you don't have to sell off your nestegg to get it.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the continued advice...but if you read my post from earlier yesterday you'll see I've already made my decision. I'd respond individually but I have a ton of stuff I need to get done around the house since we have guests coming over to night.

Have a great week everyone!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I was surprised when I read what you said about taking a baby on it and for this and several other reasons I looked for this thread tonight to give you my opinion that I didn't think you should buy it but I see you've decided not to do it. I can see that you liked the idea of it. I just don't think you would have liked the reality all that much. I definitively think you made the right decision.

Money in the bank lasts, even jewels last, but mechanical objects beyond what reliably and safely gets you from point A to B are simply a hobby that you will always be paying for with depreciation and/or expensive maintenance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results