shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPS do? Need advice about a possbile purchase-long!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh!
I had this WHOLE thing typed out and firefox crashed on me. That doesn’t make me happy since this is probably the longest post ever. This time I’m typing it in word and pasting.

I need help making a decision. I’m sorry for how long it is-but I feel that background information will be helpful so you can see my thought process on how I’m trying to make my decision.

For years I’ve wanted a vespa-I started looking quite a few years ago while I lived near Houston-thinking the weather would be great for it and the gas prices had increased to almost 4.00 a gallon-my part time job paycheck was going to fill up my 95 Chevy pick-up and not only were they cute-but they seemed practical at the time. I went to look at them and would have walked away with one but the retail price tag combine with the traffic in the suburbs of Houston helped me change my mind.

Fast forward and I now live in Ontario. My FIL loves all things vintage and has a picture of him in Holland on a scooter (actually German-not a Vespa) from the late 50’s. Twice every summer the family gets together and drives the couple of hours to go visit my DH grandma and along the way we usually stop at yard sales (since we all love that sort of thing) and over a year ago we are going though the usual towns and we stop at a yard sale. They had a vintage robin egg blue vespa sitting out by the garage and my FIL and I both noticed it and he inquired to see if it was for sale. It wasn’t. It was in amazing shape and it was a gift to his wife from him and she wasn’t selling it.

Fast forward to this summer-we are driving though that same town and we stop at a yard sale next door to the century home that had the vespa. The husband is outside mowing the lawn & I ask my FIL if that is the same house with the Vespa-and he said yup it is. There was a for sale sign advertising their home was for sale. So I approached the gentleman and I asked him if they were considering selling the Vespa-he said he didn’t believe so-that he thinks his wife will display it in the living room (he was joking) but to leave my contact info and if they do decide to sell-they’d give me a call.

A week later I have a VM from a wonderful sweet woman-the wife of the guy I had spoken to-she is going to put her Vespa up for sale. We chatted and got along great-kindered spirits. The first thing I mention to her is how much I LOVED the color and hadn’t seen another like it-and she said that is what sold her on this particular model. She had researched a lot prior to buying it-spoke to the mechanic-it was a fully restored when they bought it a few years ago and she had only ridden it a few times. Her husband had paid 4500.00 for it new and it pretty much sat stored properly and she has all the manuals.
We’ve chatted a few times about life and different things and her and her husband are retiring and she wants the vespa to go to a good home.

Now moving on 8) My DH and I just bought our first (and probably only) home in a very small town-cottage country. Perfect for a scooter-the speed limit is right below what the max the scooter can do-the stores are a 5 minute drive away and a larger town is only 10 minutes away. The scooter has a double seat and can have a side car attached and is all around perfect for a good amount of months here. We live off of a dead end road off of a dead end road-none of these roads are very busy. Had we not bought the house the scooter wouldn’t have been a good idea-too much traffic and no place to store it. We now have a very large garage with plenty of space to store it.

We only have 1 car which my DH takes to work every day leaving me at home without many options unless I wait until he comes home-which can be quite late and the stores are often closed since it’s a small town.

Here are the things that I keep going over in my head though. Our house needs work-it’s 100% fully livable but we have to put a new roof (steel) on in the fall (DIY with family help-we’ve done his brothers and his dad’s already), our first is due in the fall and we leave for our honeymoon this month. I also have to take a class to get a license to operate the scooter-which in reality isn’t a big deal since my DH would take the class with me and we’d get our full motorcycle licenses since he wants to get a bike next spring to help with gas and the commute. This wouldn’t have been an option a year ago but since it’s mostly country roads and very little city traffic I’m more comfortable with him riding a bike now-and his dad has ridden for over 40 years.

The details on the Vespa are this:
1963 fully restored Vespa Piaggio 125cc
Double seat-robin egg blue
Side car can be attached (doesn’t include it).
Was used in a few films in Toronto

I’ve searched high and low for something similar and anything I’ve found is either not the same or the 2 I have found were over the 4k price range. I know she would give me the family discount (she already has expressed she would like it to go to someone who appreciates it and knows we are just starting out and is taking that into consideration). That being said we could probably offer 3-3500.00 for the Vespa (closer to the 3k range) and I’m fairly confident she would accept it since I already dropped that price on her over the phone-although it wasn’t a formal offer.

The thing is I would have to sell some of my jewelry to help fund the purchase. My bling obsession doesn’t fit in with my lifestyle AT ALL. I’m pretty crunchy and am at home all day every day unless it’s a family event or church. My 1ctw OEC earrings are bigger than most peoples center stone and I don’t wear them often at all. I have bezel set amber earrings that I wear or small gold hoops that I wear more often than my diamonds-and only wear a wedding band on my right middle finger and my e-ring. I have more necklaces/pendants that I can possibly wear-although I do wear them sometimes when we go out.

A vintage vespa is going to be harder to find in the future-especially at this price point and in this color. But the price I paid for my earrings and many other things that I would be selling (list to follow) are also hard to come by at the prices I got them for-although I have many years ahead of me to hopefully replace them. I am only in my early 20’s and there are many birthdays/anniversaries/etc to be had.

I would sell my:
1ctw OEC martini prong earrings
WF sapphire by the yard necklace
Sapphire pendant
Diamond pendant
Silver tiffany bracelet only worn twice
Sapphire and diamond 3 stone ring
Sapphire solitaire tulip ring
and a few other odds and ends

That would leave me with my art deco sapphire and diamond watch (which I would sell since I never wear it but it was a wedding gift and I really do love it-it took me 6 years to find the right watch in the right price range but selling that I could keep my earrings and many other pieces); wedding set; my snowflake OEC/OMC diamond pendant/diamond cross/YG gemstone by the yard necklace with matching flower pendants/some silver jewelry/and a few other odds and ends.

If I sold what I had listed I could almost fund the 3k fully-and anything else we could afford. We can probably afford it without selling my jewelry but I just feel like I *should* sell it in order to help fund it since it’s not 100% a need-it’s still a want.

I should have pictures of the vespa soon-I still have to discuss things more with my husband but I wanted to get input from you all first. I’m sorry this is so long. If you read this and still respond I really appreciate it. I can post pictures of the pieces I'm considering parting with as well as the scooter if those will help make the decision lol.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
You say you can use the Vespa to get places while your husband is at work. What about the baby? You can't exactly strap a car seat onto the back...

That was really my only thought. In five years, will you regret having sold the jewelry? Is there an emotional attachment to any of it?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi Vintage,

Wow. This is really, really hard. From your post, I get the sense that you are READY to do this. All of your arguments are for *going for it*. I don't know much about your jewellery collection, but looking at it superficially, it seems like A LOT to part with for 3000$. I would most definitely NOT part with any jewellery that has any sentimental value. Any jewellery that I might have *forgotten* I own in the last 3 months, would be up for grabs.

I live in Canada, so I know that Ontario is COLD. So the VESPA wouldn't be used full time, only about 6 months of the year, just another factor to consider. But everything from your post tells me this is about *pure desire* and not practicality.

So my answer is, sell any jewellery that you are 100% certain you will not feel a tinge of regret for in a few years. That should get rid of any guilt, even if it is not the full purchase price. If you can afford it, then go for it...you could always make up a little extra by not going completely crazy on your honeymoon, and cutting back a little in other ways. Figure out the exact amount you are willing to pay, and offer it to the seller. She can choose to accept or not. If it was meant to be yours, you'll get it for the price you are able to pay.

Let us know what you decide!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a no-brainer. You are expecting your first child, and I think you said you want more. You need to renovate your house. You don't have the cash readily available--you have to sell other things to make the purchase. You are living in an area where you would only get a couple of months of scooter time a year. Your DH might get chances to ride, but you won't really. It's not a good idea. I totally understand the appeal. I've always had my own vespa daydream. But the reality is they're scary and/or dangerous to ride around here and are rather impractical. Once you have more kids, it will be more impractical. Definitely put the money into your house first as it is and always will be your biggest asset. Kids cost a ridiculous amount of money too. I can see you needing a second car very soon. ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A vespa in Ontario and with kids is silly ;)) You will never drive it. Sell your bling if you like, but pass on the vespa.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a hard but fun dilemma! My only question for you: You say that you have one car that your husband takes to work, leaving you immobile all day in the event that you need to run to the store for something. So my question is when your baby comes, will your baby be with you during the day? If so, then pass on the Vespa, as I don't think there is any way possible to transport your baby on it. if you have other plans, then go for it - it sounds like you have a ton of jewelry and a changing lifestyle.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you want it and can pay for it, why not? I mean, there are all sorts of practical reasons why not, but well, life is very short. I don't need a dozen or so antique and vintage sewing machines, or a particular vintage car I have my eye on right now, or diamond earrings, for that matter. All sorts of practical reasons not to have any things we don't really need, won't often use, can't entirely justify.

If you want to ride it, you'll find the time. You'll need some 'me time' when you have a baby, and if running (summertime) errands on a vespa makes you happy, it sounds fun to me.

Vintage machines. You either get it, or you don't. I think you'll regret it if you pass on this one.
I'd buy it. ;))

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You remembered the scooter two years later? What else do you remember you wish you'd bought two year after the fact? I'm going to guess very few things. That alone, wanting and remembering it for that long, would make me do it. If you don't ride it, sell it. I wouldn't part with any sentimental items of jewelery for it as I think you'll reach your $3,000 goal long before you sell all your hoard.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1339179171|3211943 said:
You say you can use the Vespa to get places while your husband is at work. What about the baby? You can't exactly strap a car seat onto the back...

That was really my only thought. In five years, will you regret having sold the jewelry? Is there an emotional attachment to any of it?

Amc: I have 2 neighbors that if I needed the baby watched I can have them watch the baby for a few minutes while I run out to get groceries.
But yes-the whole having a baby thing with a Vespa is def. my biggest "but I have a baby on the way...."

In fact I saw an ad for one being sold bc of that very purpose :(sad

I've had bought studs for myself quite a few years ago on DB (.7 ctw) and sold them to help fund the upgraded pair that i got last year or the year before...I can't recall. The $ difference was funded by my dad as a birthday gift to me (I think).

Most of my jewelery has been gifts from my father. While the most sentential piece is by far the sapphire/diamond watch-he's not against me selling/upgrading/trading things since he knows that it all goes towards my enjoyment in the long run anyways. He already knows what I'm considering in regards to selling for the vespa and is fine with it.

allycat0303 said:
Hi Vintage,

Wow. This is really, really hard. From your post, I get the sense that you are READY to do this. All of your arguments are for *going for it*. I don't know much about your jewellery collection, but looking at it superficially, it seems like A LOT to part with for 3000$. I would most definitely NOT part with any jewellery that has any sentimental value. Any jewellery that I might have *forgotten* I own in the last 3 months, would be up for grabs.

I live in Canada, so I know that Ontario is COLD. So the VESPA wouldn't be used full time, only about 6 months of the year, just another factor to consider. But everything from your post tells me this is about *pure desire* and not practicality.

So my answer is, sell any jewellery that you are 100% certain you will not feel a tinge of regret for in a few years. That should get rid of any guilt, even if it is not the full purchase price. If you can afford it, then go for it...you could always make up a little extra by not going completely crazy on your honeymoon, and cutting back a little in other ways. Figure out the exact amount you are willing to pay, and offer it to the seller. She can choose to accept or not. If it was meant to be yours, you'll get it for the price you are able to pay.

Let us know what you decide!

I know it's really REALLY hard. I've made the commitment that IF I am going to get the Vespa SOMETHING has got to go. I can't just have jewelery that I enjoy (but don't really ever wear and is quite impractical for my lifestyle) and a Vespa that would sit 6 months out of the year when I know that there are other things that the funds could be spent on. That being said we're not doing *that* bad and my DH knows if I'm willing to part with my bling for a scooter...well...he knows it's a special scooter in order to make me make THAT decision. It's also not the first time I've considered selling my jewelery since I just don't get the wear out of it like it deserves.

I haven't forgotten what I own per say-it's just that I don't wear it nor really have any place TO wear it nor will I have any place to wear it. I enjoy it-but the once a month I take it out to wear vs the practically of having a means of transportation that rocks as much as a vespa...well...you can see why I'm at a toss up lol. I wouldn't mind some smaller bezel set studs-and probably will eventually sell them anyways if I don't get the Vespa just bc I think they are a bit to *much* for my lifestyle. But then again so is my e-ring by a LONG shot and there isn't any way I'm parting with that :wacko:

The reason the pieces sound like it's a lot-it's just bc I listed all the things I *could* possibly sell. The earrings would cover about half to 2/3 of the purchase and then a couple of other pieces (probably 2) could cover the remaining balance-I would just list all that I was willing to part with and what sells I would sell and after I make the funds I would pull the rest. It would just be a matter of if things would sell or not since I would have to unload them at a decent rate. But the pieces I'm considering I know people have expressed interested in and I could easily unload them to my local jeweler for a good amount of $ as well.

lyra said:
This is a no-brainer. You are expecting your first child, and I think you said you want more. You need to renovate your house. You don't have the cash readily available--you have to sell other things to make the purchase. You are living in an area where you would only get a couple of months of scooter time a year. Your DH might get chances to ride, but you won't really. It's not a good idea. I totally understand the appeal. I've always had my own vespa daydream. But the reality is they're scary and/or dangerous to ride around here and are rather impractical. Once you have more kids, it will be more impractical. Definitely put the money into your house first as it is and always will be your biggest asset. Kids cost a ridiculous amount of money too. I can see you needing a second car very soon. ;))

LOL lyra: You're the practical side of my brain. I've had this argument with myself as well but then I see the side cars (and no my husband wouldn't be driving it-I would be driving it-he would be getting an actual motorcycle next spring) but when the child is old enough we can get a side car and DH can drive with me on the back of the double seat and a side car down the road to the ice cream shop. I see it as being a family thing in the future even if it didn't get all the riding in the world right from the get go.

Where we live it's actually very safe. Lots of bikes/scooters/motorcycles/walkers and everyone is very respectful of the road. I wouldn't be riding one in the city (where they are actually more popular-that is terrifying to me!)

My DH won't let me sell jewelery to fund things for the house. He has already said we are doing fine and things will get done at a good pace (at the rate we can afford them and he can do them himself-the ratio is equal at this point).

Dreamer_D said:
A vespa in Ontario and with kids is silly ;)) You will never drive it. Sell your bling if you like, but pass on the vespa.

LOL but it's so beautiful in the spring/summer/fall here Dreamer! I know it wouldn't get ridden in the winter-which is fine since I can and we buy meat in bulk from the farm so I don't really go to the store much anyways. But yes...it would get stored a good amount of the time. Oh to live in a tropical climate year round...someday!

minousbijoux said:
It sounds like a hard but fun dilemma! My only question for you: You say that you have one car that your husband takes to work, leaving you immobile all day in the event that you need to run to the store for something. So my question is when your baby comes, will your baby be with you during the day? If so, then pass on the Vespa, as I don't think there is any way possible to transport your baby on it. if you have other plans, then go for it - it sounds like you have a ton of jewelry and a changing lifestyle.

I know right! First world problems lol!

The baby would be with me during the day but thankfully we have a couple of other SAHM on our street so if I needed to go out for a quick bit they could watch the baby. I bake from scratch and that goes a long way ;))

Jennifer W said:
If you want it and can pay for it, why not? I mean, there are all sorts of practical reasons why not, but well, life is very short. I don't need a dozen or so antique and vintage sewing machines, or a particular vintage car I have my eye on right now, or diamond earrings, for that matter. All sorts of practical reasons not to have any things we don't really need, won't often use, can't entirely justify.

If you want to ride it, you'll find the time. You'll need some 'me time' when you have a baby, and if running (summertime) errands on a vespa makes you happy, it sounds fun to me.

Vintage machines. You either get it, or you don't. I think you'll regret it if you pass on this one.
I'd buy it. ;))

Gah I know I know! That is what is killing me! Ideally this Vespa in 10 years would be even more perfect-but in 10 more years they will be even HARDER to find. OEC diamond earrings I can always replace-same goes for the SBTY necklace and the other pieces I really don't even wear (don't wear those much either).

Heck having a Vespa to just LOOK at would make me happy-but the fact that i can RIDE it and run errands makes it SO much more appealing then earrings that I feel are to big and I can't even see them when they are in my ears. Even though I Love OEC's.

I have a lot to think over and a lot more to discuss with my husband. Usually the practical side of me wins out over the other side-which in this case isn't good for the Vespa. But since it's a Vespa it has a much better chance than anything else at winning this so it really depends on my discussion with my husband and how much she'd be willing to take for it...I mean I could be doing this all for nothing-she could say no to the 3k offer (I think that would be my offer-not any more if I did make one).
The fact is I have to get my license-sell my jewelry-and the baby on the way...but it's a vintage vespa and I would probably keep this thing forever. And selling isn't that hard since if it didn't sell on DB I could sell it local and the baby will grow and I know would love riding on it as it got a bit older (I hate saying it but we don't know the sex lol).

When I get pictures some of you might change your mind. This thing is a work of art I'm telling you. And there isn't anything more than feeling the wind in my hair and the sun on my face that makes me feel free and alive-I loved riding a bike as a kid so I can only imagine being on a scooter!!

Ah first world problems!!

Edit: :Rhea:
Thank you-you are right. The scooter wasn't even outside. I remembered the house bc of the scooter. That puts things into perspective for me a bit more. If I don't at least try to get it (and not saying I even will) I think I'll regret that much more than I will selling some diamond earrings. OEC's might not be able to be had by then but I'm sure I'd appreciate any earrings my DH would get me for an anniversary years down the road.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first thought was the baby too. I know you have neighbours that could watch the little one, but wouldn't you rather have transport that you could take it with you instead of always needing a sitter if you need to pop out?

My other thought was this. I really don't mean to be disrespectful at all...you know me so I hope you take this in the way its meant
lil%20hug.gif
I remember a thread you started recently (just before you moved house I think?) and your car had been in an accident. You were worrying because you didn't have the funds to fix it... you said:

We really can't afford this-we really can't. We don't have enough in savings to buy a new car-we have a water pipe and a new roof to put on our house. A baby. The rest of immigration to pay for. We NEEDED this car. Like TOMORROW for moving.

If you are asking what I would do ..... I would sell the jewellery to pay for things you need for your house or Immigration costs....or to put in savings for things that may go wrong further along the line. You don't NEED the Vespa even though I completely understand you want it. :))

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unless it's going to leave things really tight financially, get this Vespa. ;))

Also, I'd take the whole baby on the way thing out of the equation. My hobby involves molten metal - you just keep the hobby and the child reasonably separate, is all. IYes, you'll be a mother, but you'll also still be you. You'll need to cling to your identity, loves, likes and dislikes for dear life in the early days if you want to stay sane. So, get the vintage Vespa.

Finally, if you get it and somewhere down the line decide it isn't for you, it will sell again. There's a market for these little guys. They are (as you know) cute and compelling.

Ah, go on. Go on, go on, go on! :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL - That always puts it into perspective for me.

Years ago my mother fell in love with this Tiffany (style?) lamp at a vintage store. She measured, she took photos, she went back and visited it while deciding and it sold. I don't remember how long ago this was, maybe 15 years ago or more. My mother still looks for that lamp everywhere. Any time we go into a vintage store. And every single time she recalls this story to me. I passed over chairs a couple years ago and went back the next day for them, they were gone. My sister looked at me and said "This is your lamp, isn't it?". Our entire family knows about my mother's lamp. I can recall on very few fingers the numbers of things I can remember still looking for everywhere after a couple of years. If we'd actually bought them we may not have appreciated them or may have moved them on, who knows.

What's the best case and worst case? Best case, you buy it, love it, and ride it in Jan wearing your scarf and helmet. Worst case if you buy it, you don't ride it, have a bit of a hassle selling it, and end up with a small loss of money (assuming from what you said about price). Worse case if you don't buy it, it's your lamp and you recall the story for your children.

If you remember it 2 years later that says more to me than anything else. Try to make it happen. Don't let this be your lamp ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339181067|3211966 said:

Ditto! Sorry sweetie, but you need to save that money towards a CAR if you want to take the baby out into town. And what if the baby is sick and you need to go to the doctor, etc? You really need to be saving for a 2nd car.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1339189648|3212065 said:
My first thought was the baby too. I know you have neighbours that could watch the little one, but wouldn't you rather have transport that you could take it with you instead of always needing a sitter if you need to pop out?

My other thought was this. I really don't mean to be disrespectful at all...you know me so I hope you take this in the way its meant
lil%20hug.gif
I remember a thread you started recently (just before you moved house I think?) and your car had been in an accident. You were worrying because you didn't have the funds to fix it... you said:

We really can't afford this-we really can't. We don't have enough in savings to buy a new car-we have a water pipe and a new roof to put on our house. A baby. The rest of immigration to pay for. We NEEDED this car. Like TOMORROW for moving.

If you are asking what I would do ..... I would sell the jewellery to pay for things you need for your house or Immigration costs....or to put in savings for things that may go wrong further along the line. You don't NEED the Vespa even though I completely understand you want it. :))

A few months ago with closing costs on the house the car accident DID make things difficult. Thankfully the repair was much cheaper than we thought it would be and we're pretty smart with our money (we don't go out to eat/party/indulge in things and I buy everything 2nd hand used-just my personality since I like a good deal). Immigration costs are now done (which btw the sponsorship was approved yay!) and so those costs are no more.

Be sure if this was going to hurt us I would NEVER be selfish enough to buy a scooter. But I AM practical enough to say "hey-I don't really wear this stuff like it should be-probably never will-I can sell these in order to NOT use savings) but yes-I could also sell them to fund a 2nd car. But the car that this could buy wouldn't be what we are in need of-and we already have a plan in place to get another car when the time comes (which isn't now since I'm going to be staying at home and it's not worth the extra $ to have a 2nd car with insurance/etc at this point. When the baby is a bit older we are looking to buy a pick up truck).

Jennifer W said:
Unless it's going to leave things really tight financially, get this Vespa. ;))

Also, I'd take the whole baby on the way thing out of the equation. My hobby involves molten metal - you just keep the hobby and the child reasonably separate, is all. IYes, you'll be a mother, but you'll also still be you. You'll need to cling to your identity, loves, likes and dislikes for dear life in the early days if you want to stay sane. So, get the vintage Vespa.

Finally, if you get it and somewhere down the line decide it isn't for you, it will sell again. There's a market for these little guys. They are (as you know) cute and compelling.

Ah, go on. Go on, go on, go on! :lol:

Jennifer & Diamondseeker:
Yes that is what my husband said to (not to getting it lol) but not factoring the baby into it. We've been discussing it and will continue over the weekend before making any decision. We've both discussed the lack of practicality of the purchase-so we are both well aware of that :)

Rhea said:
VL - That always puts it into perspective for me.

Years ago my mother fell in love with this Tiffany (style?) lamp at a vintage store. She measured, she took photos, she went back and visited it while deciding and it sold. I don't remember how long ago this was, maybe 15 years ago or more. My mother still looks for that lamp everywhere. Any time we go into a vintage store. And every single time she recalls this story to me. I passed over chairs a couple years ago and went back the next day for them, they were gone. My sister looked at me and said "This is your lamp, isn't it?". Our entire family knows about my mother's lamp. I can recall on very few fingers the numbers of things I can remember still looking for everywhere after a couple of years. If we'd actually bought them we may not have appreciated them or may have moved them on, who knows.

What's the best case and worst case? Best case, you buy it, love it, and ride it in Jan wearing your scarf and helmet. Worst case if you buy it, you don't ride it, have a bit of a hassle selling it, and end up with a small loss of money (assuming from what you said about price). Worse case if you don't buy it, it's your lamp and you recall the story for your children.

If you remember it 2 years later that says more to me than anything else. Try to make it happen. Don't let this be your lamp ;-)

Yes-it would probably be my lamp. I have 2 jewelery things I missed out on ebay and I've actually had dreams about them. The fact that she called a week after I left my name (and I remembered the house) when they weren't planning on selling is just to "strange" to me. Like what are the chances ya know?

When doing the 1st discussion (while doing yard work) I told him I'd email her (after discussing how impractical it really is) and say thanks but no thanks. He looked at me and said "no-we'll discuss it some more-maybe we won't make an offer as high as you thought or near what it is worth-but what it is worth to us and if she takes it-she takes it."

So I'm not sure what we will offer or IF we will even offer anything. I do know I can get a different type of vespa (lower cc/etc) for under 2k not in as good of condition (this thing is immaculate) but I'll keep you guys posted. I try to stay off of PS during the weekend but considering my DH is tearing out the garage I might be able to keep you updated. If not-I'll post next week :)

I really appreicate it guys-all the advice and everything-none of you haven't said anything that hadn't already occurred to me but it's always nice to see both sides of it. I have a tendency to be more practical (I bought my maternity clothing off of kijiji since I can't fathom 40.00 for a pair of shorts) so if I were to get this...it would be an unusual thing for us both ::)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scooters are super fun! I had a new one (50cc Genuine Buddy) that I kept for about 2 years before selling. It was great for getting to and from work in the city when I didn't have a parking spot because I just locked it up on bike racks outside my office building.

I almost never used it to run to the store though, because there's nowhere to put stuff you buy, unless you wear a backpack. I had a top case and a space under the seat where I kept my helmet when it was locked up, but those spaces are not big enough for much. You really have to have a backpack or something.

That said, I don't think life is for being practical, and it's super obvious from your post how badly you want this, so I say you should make it happen! If you haven't already, call the owner and tell her you are going to make it happen, but you have to do a few things to get the funds together. And just do it! You can always buy more jewelry later!

ETA you could sell it very easily if it didn't work out, BTW. My scooter sold in about a week and I didn't lose much money, especially considering that I had ridden it for 2 years. A vintage restored Vespa would be VERY easy to unload for top dollar.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In theory it sounds like the Vespa has a better chance of fitting into your lifestyle than your excess jewelry! If you have the time - if the Vespa owner isn't looking for an immediate sale - try selling off a few pieces and see how you feel once you actually have the money in hand. The Vespa might "look" different when compared to real money than it does when compared to jewelry.

I don't know the circumstances under which you bought the jewelry that you're now thinking of selling. For example, I don't know whether it got lots of use in your prior life, and it's only recently become superfluous, or whether it's always spent most of it's time in a jewelry box. Some time ago someone asked the question "are you purchasing jewelry for your real life or your fantasy life?" I ask the question only because the same could apply to the Vespa - are you thinking about buying it for your real life or your fantasy life?

Please don't think I'm trying to dump cold water on the Vespa idea - I actually think you've made a pretty good case for getting it! (besides, I'm a very emotional buyer myself) The main thing to me is that you have other financial obligations coming up, so I'm wondering how this stacks up against those other needs. I have no idea how "liquid" a Vespa is, and how much of a hit you'd take (if any) if you needed to sell quickly for some reason. I do think you need to keep the sidecar out of your equations though unless you've already priced that option and really know it's available.

BTW I have photos of my father on a scooter from before I was born, and memories of a scooter he owned for awhile when I was in grade school. I don't remember how much he rode it (we lived in Utah at the time, so weather was a factor.) I do know that money was tight at the time, and my mother has never brought it up as having been a bad purchase ( :wink2: ) so I guess he made out OK when he had to sell it. Or maybe my mother, practical as she is, realized it was something my father needed to feed his soul.

OK so that was no help - sorry about that! But try selling a few pieces and see whether converting them into something useful changes your perspective.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I'll admit to a change of heart about this! My initial reaction was "no, don't do it" but after thinking about it, you're basically exchanging one luxury item for another, and it sounds like you would much rather have the Vespa than your jewelry right now and the purchase won't cause any major financial hardship. Yeah, I guess it's a little impractical, but life is short and it's good to a little fun along the way :sun:

My only other thought is that right now you seem really comfortable with the idea of selling your jewelry, but I'd just make sure you won't regret it later on. (I guess that's kind of hard to know right now, though :cheeky: ) Also, if you decide to sell the Vespa down the road, you might not recoup all your money - but I suppose that's true of reselling most things, and I'm a little out of my league here anyway because I don't know anything about scooters and their resale value!

And...oh, how I hate to be a Negative Nancy...but with a little one to take care of, you might end up not having many opportunities to ride it! I'm not trying to be a total downer, but I guess I'm just thinking back to being a young mom, and my days were pretty consumed with taking care of my kids - but then again you could at least ride it on weekends when dh is home, and it would actually be a fun thing for you to do on your own and give you a bit of a break. That's important for young moms too!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1339247608|3212436 said:
Scooters are super fun! I had a new one (50cc Genuine Buddy) that I kept for about 2 years before selling. It was great for getting to and from work in the city when I didn't have a parking spot because I just locked it up on bike racks outside my office building.

I almost never used it to run to the store though, because there's nowhere to put stuff you buy, unless you wear a backpack. I had a top case and a space under the seat where I kept my helmet when it was locked up, but those spaces are not big enough for much. You really have to have a backpack or something.

That said, I don't think life is for being practical, and it's super obvious from your post how badly you want this, so I say you should make it happen! If you haven't already, call the owner and tell her you are going to make it happen, but you have to do a few things to get the funds together. And just do it! You can always buy more jewelry later!

ETA you could sell it very easily if it didn't work out, BTW. My scooter sold in about a week and I didn't lose much money, especially considering that I had ridden it for 2 years. A vintage restored Vespa would be VERY easy to unload for top dollar.

Okay-so I have a bit of time to post since my DH is tipping out the cealing in the garage. The house was a foreclosure and it often amazes me how trashy that last owners were to the house. The upstairs had poop/etc all in the insulation/etc and the owner wasn't handy so he just used a million and one screws and nails to make everything stay together. Unreal. I can't help due to the heavy lifting/mold/etc but I did make him breakfast this morning and I've cleaned up most of the nasty inside the house. The upstairs master loft still needs cleaned but he has work to do up there so I won't do that until all the dust/nasty stuff is settled so when I clean I don't have to redo it!

Thing2: I was hoping you'd chime in. I searched for scooter threads and found 2 prior to posting-one by you and another started by Itala-it seems like her and her husband (who are in Chicago btw and have the same-if not worse-crappy winters and city traffic than Ontario) and I've also searched out vespa forums and other ebay listings and what not. I can see that vintage vespas in this condition and style are pretty rare and in fact command a top dollar price of over 4k. So-at least I know a bit better of what I'm getting into :)

If I do make an offer I would tell them we couldn't do anything until we get back from our honeymoon. Life is just to crazy before then and I really want to see it to put a deposit on it and have my FIL check everything over. So it would be a conditional offer-which I'm sure she's more than willing to work with me with. I'd also show her the jewelry I'm planning on selling just to see if she's interested-no point in shipping something if she'd prefer to do a partial trade since many women like jewelry!

VRBeauty said:
In theory it sounds like the Vespa has a better chance of fitting into your lifestyle than your excess jewelry! If you have the time - if the Vespa owner isn't looking for an immediate sale - try selling off a few pieces and see how you feel once you actually have the money in hand. The Vespa might "look" different when compared to real money than it does when compared to jewelry.

I don't know the circumstances under which you bought the jewelry that you're now thinking of selling. For example, I don't know whether it got lots of use in your prior life, and it's only recently become superfluous, or whether it's always spent most of it's time in a jewelry box. Some time ago someone asked the question "are you purchasing jewelry for your real life or your fantasy life?" I ask the question only because the same could apply to the Vespa - are you thinking about buying it for your real life or your fantasy life?

Please don't think I'm trying to dump cold water on the Vespa idea - I actually think you've made a pretty good case for getting it! (besides, I'm a very emotional buyer myself) The main thing to me is that you have other financial obligations coming up, so I'm wondering how this stacks up against those other needs. I have no idea how "liquid" a Vespa is, and how much of a hit you'd take (if any) if you needed to sell quickly for some reason. I do think you need to keep the sidecar out of your equations though unless you've already priced that option and really know it's available.

BTW I have photos of my father on a scooter from before I was born, and memories of a scooter he owned for awhile when I was in grade school. I don't remember how much he rode it (we lived in Utah at the time, so weather was a factor.) I do know that money was tight at the time, and my mother has never brought it up as having been a bad purchase ( :wink2: ) so I guess he made out OK when he had to sell it. Or maybe my mother, practical as she is, realized it was something my father needed to feed his soul.

OK so that was no help - sorry about that! But try selling a few pieces and see whether converting them into something useful changes your perspective.

VR: I don't take it as you dumping cold water on the Vespa :) The reason the decision is SO hard is bc while it's not 100% practical-it's not as impractical either due to the other side of things.

When I first joined PS (5 years ago?) I was in a bad relationship. I had the upgrade bug and was throwing money at things (mostly jewelery and shoes) to fill the void. I had the "fantasy" life of PS I wanted to keep up with (although I DO love jewelery) and got bit by the bug and the distraction. Never really thought much of it until coming to Canada bc what I REALLY want out of life is to be a SAHM (which I'm blessed enough to do) have a garden, be a slightly crunchy hippy with my long flowing skirts and wear my babies around and all in all be a well rounded individual-a good wife and mother-cook from scratch-help my community-and become a good person by self reflecting and being honest with myself on a daily basis-and working hard and continue to enjoy life and just be the woman I want to be.

Though this self reflection I've come to realize I DO really love jewelery. I really do. BUT is my 1.64 diamond ring a bit to much for me? YES. Will I ever get rid of it...I don't know. I love it-when I look at I am glad my husband was willing to buy something so soon for such a good deal so shortly after we were dating since he knew I was the one and since he knew how crazy I am with jewelery-and we were married with it-and I'm sentimental about it. Would I prefer for my taste and my lifestyle something smaller made by james meyer with a simple band with it? Probably.

The same goes with my earrings and other jewelery. Yes they've gotten some wear and yes I think they are beautiful and I enjoy them. Would I enjoy smaller bezel set studs less than 1ctw later on down the road-that my husband bought for me as a gift (I love my dad and he's been very generous with graduation gifts/birthdays) but I'd be far more sentimental about those than these. They are martini set-and to bezel them would cost more $-and make them even larger in my tiny ears than they already are. They get worn MAYBE once a month. Mostly though they've sat there-in the box-with no love :(sad

I have embraced my e-ring as the beautiful blessing it is and don't care if it's to "big" for my lifestyle anymore. The same goes for my other jewelry-but I won't allow myself to buy anything that doesn't "fit" into my tastes/style anymore just bc I like it unless it fits my lifestyle choice as well and will get worn. I could sell the stuff to fund other things (like a james meyer piece or a Andy Russell painting) but I'm also one to think...I got such a good deal-I doubt I'll ever find another like that again-and so I figure another point in life the opportunity will come along to buy those in the future.

This Vespa though-I'm not sure how often this opportunity will come up again. At least not one where I have a connection with the seller-know the history of the scooter and I haven't ever seen one in this color either. So...that puts me in a rock and a hard place a bit. My life will not end if I don't sell my jewelery-or if I do-and don't get the Vespa. But I will probably think about it and wonder what it would have been like to own it. I've owned nice jewelry-will still own nice jewelery-and have my whole life ahead of me to replace it with something a bit more "me." Idk...perhaps I'm just over thinking things.

junebug17 said:
Hmm, I'll admit to a change of heart about this! My initial reaction was "no, don't do it" but after thinking about it, you're basically exchanging one luxury item for another, and it sounds like you would much rather have the Vespa than your jewelry right now and the purchase won't cause any major financial hardship. Yeah, I guess it's a little impractical, but life is short and it's good to a little fun along the way :sun:

My only other thought is that right now you seem really comfortable with the idea of selling your jewelry, but I'd just make sure you won't regret it later on. (I guess that's kind of hard to know right now, though :cheeky: ) Also, if you decide to sell the Vespa down the road, you might not recoup all your money - but I suppose that's true of reselling most things, and I'm a little out of my league here anyway because I don't know anything about scooters and their resale value!

And...oh, how I hate to be a Negative Nancy...but with a little one to take care of, you might end up not having many opportunities to ride it! I'm not trying to be a total downer, but I guess I'm just thinking back to being a young mom, and my days were pretty consumed with taking care of my kids - but then again you could at least ride it on weekends when dh is home, and it would actually be a fun thing for you to do on your own and give you a bit of a break. That's important for young moms too!

I know-the baby is due in Oct. and the chance of taking that class prior to the baby being born-or the winter-is pretty slim. It wouldn't get out until probably next spring but by then I can take the class with my DH and I do know many young mom's and a scooter (actually told my friends while eating out for my DH 30th bday) and they looked at me like I was crazy. But this coming from a guy who spent 10k on salt water tank stuff and now is trying to unload it a few years later since he doesn't have the time/etc to take care of it like it should. So...perhaps this is my fish tank? I know I can unload it easy enough-esp. if I get it for a good price. My FIL would probably buy it lol. We could arrange some sort of joint custody arrangement :lol:

I hope she sends me the pictures soon. I haven't seen it since that first glimpse and so I'm hoping that will help make my decision a bit easier. Who knows-maybe I'll see it again and think wtf am I thinking? that scooter just isn't for me! Somehow...I don't think that's the case though :???:

Here are some photos of the things I'm consider parting with to fund the sale.

P1010220 - Copy.JPG

neckshot.JPG

bettercolor.JPG

OCEearrings.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
get the Vespa.
you've been looking and longing for a very long time.
this is one of those things that you have already said you'e ready to sacrifice for.....your jewelry.
you've sacrificed for years by not getting it.
do not wake up at 60 going "i really wish i had had a Vespa in my life".
seriously.
i think you can make this work.
you may not ride much now, but after the baby, taking a spin on your Vespa to get some things while baby is at the neighbors may just be the breath of fresh air you need.
when baby is older, you can make arrangements for it to ride for short trips. no more dangerous than putting a toddler on a bicycle and people do that all the time w/o much thought.
get the Vespa.
your heart and soul need this.
and ride with pride when you can.
this from a very practical woman over 60............

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just finished posting about the best deals are those that you wish for in your imaginations, and find you can have.

Buy the vespa.

And I repeat everything that MZ said.

Viva La Vespa.

Annette

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Life is too short to have regrets - there are no 'trial runs'. This clearly is something you have desired for quite some time. It isn't an impulse but it isn't a necessity. There will always be things in life that just don't seem practical yet we want them (I offer you all.... "JEWELLRY!" as an example :naughty: ) You are not acting impulsively and this isn't something that will easily come again at a later date (the odds of having it be available now, 2 years after first seeing it, are pretty amazing!)

Babies and other things in life, happen. This vespa - its happening now! Go for it! I give you permission :lol:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy it.

How close to home does your husband work? What if you have to bring the baby to the doctor? Well visits aside, (I know sometimes people skip those) there may be circumstances in which you actually need a car to bring the baby to the doctor. Is your husband's work super-flexible?

I see a lot of responses encouraging you to do this now. I don't understand why. Are you going to ride it now, while you are pregnant? If you want to leave the baby with your neighbors for a break, you don't need a vespa to do that! What if buying the vespa turns into a regret of its own (to counter the argument that we should all be living with no regrets, which apparently means buying things that we really, really want, regardless of whether it makes sense or not!), like in the winter, when you realize you need a car, and there isn't much of a market for selling it!

What if your priorities change after having the baby? What if you want to save for baby's education instead? Or help a family member out? Or an emergency repair comes up at the house? Or? Or? Or?

I don't see anything wrong with buying a car and taking the baby to the grocery store with you! You know, wear him or her while you are shopping? I forget when you said that you were planning to get a car, but my baby is 16 months, and there is no way I would be happy staying home all day M-F with her, and I think she quite likes getting out of the house too, for programs at the library, visiting friends, lunch, shopping, the PARK, etc. etc. I think you've mentioned not being happy being at home all the time already, sooooooooo not getting the no car thing. Of course, people can come to you, I guess.

So, yeah, I wouldn't, but to each her own, as they say!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I'm not trying to be mean here. In fact, I tend to be a bit of an impulsive buyer too. I frequently remember things from years ago and if/when they pop up I think "OH!!! I loved that three years ago. MINE!"

But in this case, it does not sound like a smart purchase. I might be mixing up PS-ers here, but on top of the quote someone posted above about your car accident didn't a bunch of people here kick in and buy a wedding set, camera, and send cash for your dad? I was kind of surprised to see this post and am more surprised that you didn't sell your things then? Or maybe you tried.

Once I realized I was being impulsive and making not-so-smart decision I made myself promise to try and be practical with every purchase I make, and this seems like the furthest thing from a practical purchase. Especially with a baby on the way...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the deal: Get the Vespa.

You don't need to convince us, you need to convince you. But just be aware that from my perspective, it does seem that despite your excellent money management, you have a steady stream of expenses on a regular basis because you are trying to make a better life. Since you strive to improve things, I doubt your spending stream will stop, so don't think "once I pay for this, we'll have extra money...". Just an observation.

It does sound like you have some personal items that are no longer useful to you, or consistent with your lifestyle. When you describe the jewelry you want to sell, it does not sound like there is an emotional attachment. It sounds like there is a HUGE emotional attachment to the Vespa. Do the swap. Get the lamp. But I think to be fair to the seller, you have to explain that you need to sell these items first, give her a deposit, and then make good on your promise to sell the jewelry.

Maisie makes a really good point. One thing about being a first time Mom is that you really don't know how you'll feel until the baby arrives. You may be the kind that never wants the baby out of your sight. You may be someone who when Daddy comes home, you hand the baby over, and need to go for a ride on your Vespa =) You just won't know until you're there. But don't get the Vespa thinking its transportation while your husband isn't around, because babies get sick often, and those doctor visits are fairly regular.

So get the Vespa to remind yourself that although you're a Mom, you're also you, and need to have something that makes your heart go pitter patter. And when you need that special ingredient when you're cooking, or when you want to pick something up from a friend, you can hop on that cutie, feel the wind in you hair and remember who you are as you happily putter off into the sunset... :bigsmile:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do it if I were you.

There is no point in buying a vehicle you can't take your kid in unless you have plenty of excess cash floating around for unnecessary items you *might* use. And already have everything else you need.

We traded in my husband's VW Rabbit for a 4 door SUV shortly after finding out I was pregnant. The Rabbit had 2 doors.

I have a 2001 Honda Prelude. My parents and I bought it when I was 19 and convinced I'd never have kids. Its a 2 door 4 seater but it might as well be a 2 seater for all of the room in the backseat. Every day I go to work, my husband and I have to figure out if I need to take my car or if I can take the SUV. Is the baby sick? Does my husband need to run errands? What if the baby gets sick? Is she acting ok right now? Her carseat could fit in my car in an emergency, but I'd really rather not mess with trying to get a carseat in the tiny backseat of a sportscar.

I work less than 10 minutes away. My husband works 6 minutes away. Our pediatrician's office is 2 minutes away.

So every day I think about selling my beloved car. Because its not practical. Because I can't easily tote my even more beloved child around in it.

But I don't sell it. Because with my car, at least I have the option of getting her in the backseat. You won't have that option with a Vespa.

You should know ahead of time that you are probably going to need a second car. Unless your pediatrician's office is a short walk from your house (this is true for us, but a 10 minute walk for a sick baby in New Mexico summer heat...sounds unpleasant). Know that if your baby gets sick, your husband's 45 minute commute is going to seem like 45 hours. And you aren't going to want to depend on your neighbors for rides or for watching your baby at your whim. And winter up there?

So sure. Buy the Vespa. After you contemplate buying a second car. After your baby expenses are paid. After the baby is born. See how your priorities are. And in the meantime sell off the jewelry you no longer want.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I suppose it's going to depend on where you live, but I personally didn't feel like I needed a car when I was home with a baby.I used public transport, walked, borrowed dh's car if I really wanted to go somewhere on a certain day, or in an emergency, call a cab (or an ambulance, if it really is a medical emergency). I don't think it's essential at all. My own car is not designed to have a car seat in it, so I've never used it to take my daughter anywhere.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1339276840|3212755 said:
I suppose it's going to depend on where you live, but I personally didn't feel like I needed a car when I was home with a baby.I used public transport, walked, borrowed dh's car if I really wanted to go somewhere on a certain day, or in an emergency, call a cab (or an ambulance, if it really is a medical emergency). I don't think it's essential at all. My own car is not designed to have a car seat in it, so I've never used it to take my daughter anywhere.
I'm just going off of my own situation, but we barely have any public transportation here (and I live in a city of over 500k people too), walking is not much of an option (90+degree dry heat from April through September), a cab ride anywhere starts around $10, and that's one way. My daughter is 6.5 months old and if we had paid $20 for each cab ride for a sickness visit to the doctor on top of each $35 copay, we would have shelled out about $495 so far. An ambulance ride would cost insurance about $5,000 and me about $500 out of pocket.

But, again, I live in a very very spread out city in the desert in a state that is poor and sparsely populated and we don't have universal medical care. So your post's suggestions would absolutely not work in my situation.

I don't know about VL's, but I believe that she is in a small town about 45 minutes outside of a bigger city.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VL, I know what you mean about regretting not purchasing something you've had your eye on for a while. I think we've all been there at some point. I know you've gone over this already, but I'll add my thoughts in anyway. If you have emergency savings squared away and you have a fun money acct., I'd say go for it and buy the Vespa. That doesn't sound like the case though. In my mind, being practical about this wins out over emotional attachments you've made. I'd save for a second car that you can take the baby in, and make sure you have money in savings for things that may come up - whether they be baby related or house related before I'd buy the Vespa. Sorry. That's not the answer you were looking for, but I'd say other, more important things should come first.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1339279065|3212769 said:
Jennifer W|1339276840|3212755 said:
I'm just going off of my own situation, but we barely have any public transportation here (and I live in a city of over 500k people too), walking is not much of an option (90+degree dry heat from April through September), a cab ride anywhere starts around $10, and that's one way. My daughter is 6.5 months old and if we had paid $20 for each cab ride for a sickness visit to the doctor on top of each $35 copay, we would have shelled out about $495 so far. An ambulance ride would cost insurance about $5,000 and me about $500 out of pocket.

But, again, I live in a very very spread out city in the desert in a state that is poor and sparsely populated and we don't have universal medical care. So your post's suggestions would absolutely not work in my situation.

I don't know about VL's, but I believe that she is in a small town about 45 minutes outside of a bigger city.

Oh gosh no, don't walk around in the dessert with a baby! My bad. You'd both need an ambulance! No, I was thinking that the OP's village sounded a bit like mine, semi rural and about 40 mins from a city. Reasonably good public transport, if you don't mind going places at set times, and not too expensive to get a cab. We don't pay for ambulances, either, and I don't think you do in Canada (not sure). Emergency only, obviously.

Sorry your girl has been sick. We has a few Dr trips in the early days too (kidney problems) but she's fine now. Here's hoping your wee one is too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL...I'll have to chime in once more to say that the Vespa is one of those splurges one might do if they have all the needs met...home finished, furniture complete, 2 cars, emergency fund taken care of, baby expenses covered, etc. I just don't think you are realizing how much life will change once you have a baby, and you just won't have time to ride it. And you just have to have a car in case the baby gets sick. Or rather, for when the baby gets sick.

I agree with getting rid of jewelry you no longer wear or care about, but as you know, you don't get all that much for them second hand, either. I do think it is good in life to enjoy some little splurges now and then, but $4000 is a pretty big splurge when that would definitely buy you a car.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results