shape
carat
color
clarity

wow. how big is to big?

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
was googling tourmaline mining on youtube and one thing led to another and came across this. wow! this jeweler has some great videos on jewerly. amazing stones. are they really as rare as he says? also,what is GIA certified

http://youtu.be/bW04FbUscEo

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
CtrlAltElite|1443583872|3933372 said:
are they really as rare as he says?

Hmmm, "Highly sought after orange brown color"? I had a box of these, in the rough, once and could hardly unload the rough on anyone, ( I think that it went to a club who cut it up and used it for training beginners as it's easy to see how the cut is progressing). Maybe tastes have changed?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Michael_E|1443592478|3933394 said:

Hmmm, "Highly sought after orange brown color"? I had a box of these, in the rough, once and could hardly unload the rough on anyone, ( I think that it went to a club who cut it up and used it for training beginners as it's easy to see how the cut is progressing). Maybe tastes have changed?

Yup, even in diamonds, that color is not exactly highly sought after. Prized Tourmalines are Rubellite and Paraiba

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
was googling tourmaline mining on youtube and one thing led to another and came across this. wow! this jeweler has some great videos on jewerly. amazing stones. are they really as rare as he says? also,what is GIA certified

That vendor has been mentioned on this board before. I suspect many of the items are new, not from estates, and they hire actors to pretend they are in dire straits and need the money. The settings are too modern, look mostly the same from each "estate," and they're too new looking, and I think the backstory is used to sell these items more quickly.

That being said, they do have some pretty rings, but a brown tourmaline is not one of them IMO, and the workmanship on the ring is atrocious. The diamonds are set very poorly. You really have to love brown stones, which are typically not valuable in most gem species. Brown is often a modifier that you want to avoid. I mean, I almost laughed when they said "VIVID Brown orange color." In the GIA, a stone cannot be vivid and have brown at the same time.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Michael_E|1443592478|3933394 said:

Snort.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree with TL. This vendor makes me laugh with their stupid/weird backstories about millionaires wanting to flog their jewellery with them on ebay. I think in one of the videos there is even a shot of a tray of rings which are obviously plastic. They do however, have some lovely jewellery that I wouldn't say no to. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Forgot to answer your question, but the GIA is a lab that grades and reports on gemstones. It's short for the Gemological Institute of America and they have offices in NYC, California and Southeast Asia. The GIA doesn't "certify" anything by the way. LIke most reputable labs, they provide reports on a gemstone indicating if it is natural, the color, treatment and any other identifiable features if necessary.

larryfish

Rough_Rock
icy, uncut, natural rubelite

cc42a097fea4a9e79f0aa43e74400017.jpeg

bd365ca90b65b185f92a268f48ddd2b4.jpeg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But, to answer the question in your topic, that stone is nowhere near too big, haha!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That stone doesn't fit in that ring.

As for too big, I would say that if the stone or setting has over 100% coverage, then it is too big! For me, the ring area is between the base of the finger and first knuckle on the vertical axis and no wider than the finger itself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can't lift your arm then the stone in your ring it too big.

S

SparkliesLuver

Lady_Disdain said:
As for too big, I would say that if the stone or setting has over 100% coverage, then it is too big! For me, the ring area is between the base of the finger and first knuckle on the vertical axis and no wider than the finger itself.

+1! :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1444002726|3934835 said:

LMAO, then it's not a stone anymore, it's a boulder. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
It can never be too big in my opinion! :dance:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1444002726|3934835 said:

Yup! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results