shape
carat
color
clarity

Woulld like opinion on diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Search_Diamond

Rough_Rock
I am considering buying a dimaond that has the following attributes:
carat: 1.48
clarity: vvs2
color: G
table: 56%
depth: 60.9
crown angle: 34.8
pavilion angle: 40.7

I want to know people''s opinion''s. I am looking for an ideal cut diamond which it appears it is. Also do I need any further information to decide to purchase it. I currently have the GIA report and the Sarin report. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The proportions look great! It should be a beauty!

Search_Diamond

Rough_Rock
I pluged the numbers in the HCA and I got a 1 which is excellent, but when I view it through the ideal-scope I see a lot of light leakage. Why is that? Which is more reliable? Should I get a brilliance scope test to be absolutely sure if this stone has great brilliance?

Search_Diamond

Rough_Rock
I forgot to add as part of the attributes the stone has excellent symmetry and excellent polish

nikolas_cy

Rough_Rock
It seems like a great diamond !

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/3/2003 9:13:34 PM Search_Diamond wrote:

I pluged the numbers in the HCA and I got a 1 which is excellent, but when I view it through the ideal-scope I see a lot of light leakage. Why is that? Which is more reliable? Should I get a brilliance scope test to be absolutely sure if this stone has great brilliance?
----------------

I think you should take that as a warning sign. Either the diamond is leaking light, or you aren't practiced at using the Ideal Scope. If you've practiced with the Ideal Scope and are comfortable in your abilities using the IS, then definitely get a professional assessment of this diamond. Either make purchase contingent on a satisfactory, independent report, or get an approval return guarantee allowing enough time to have the diamond checked thoroughly yourself.

Good Luck with your purchase decision.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you put that thing under an IS and it shows alot of light leakage, I agree with PQ...you either are not using it properly (could just need more practice), or you should back off from this stone and keep looking.

The HCA score is all fine and good, but that is a virtual score of a diamond's potential attributes, and not all of them either. The IS is an actual physical tool that WILL show you how the diamond will perform, while the HCA shows you how the stone MAY perform. So the IS would hold much more water for me vs HCA if you had both and one gave different results than the other.

If there shows to be alot of light leakage, then I would pass on the stone. It's one thing to have it look good on paper but if the proof isn't in the pudding, keep looking. With the IS in your hands and used properly, you are much less dependent on other people's opinions OR the virtual HCA score...you have the IS to tell you how that diamond IS going to perform and probably is.

Then again if you say that this stone looks amazing in person but under the IS it's leaking...maybe it's user error.
2.gif
In that case, have the diamond independently appraised either before you purchase or immediately after to be within your return policy window. No return policy? Run quickly...don't pass go!

Good luck!!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds strange... This stone has almost perfect proportions!

69gm

Shiny_Rock
to all the experts on this forum...i'm just curious...is it a possibility that this stone could have great numbers and still show lots of light leakage? or is this so unlikely that the more probable conclusion would be that the ideal scope isn't being used 100% properly (maybe bad angles or lighting or some other factor?)

just wondering because before i put a lot of stock into the HCA but this brings up something interesting.

thanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/3/2003 9:13:34 PM Search_Diamond wrote:

----------------
It is definetely possible to have diamonds with seeminly good proportions vary in their light return and/or intensity of that light return.

We recently received a diamond with 34.4 crown angles, 40.8 pavilion angles and a 56 table whose light return wasn't on par with the finest stones we typically purchase. I'll be posting that stone as an example in our minor facets tutorial page to demonstrate the effects of tweaked minor facets and how they impact the brilliance and look of a diamond. I would suggest a professional optical analysis if you have any doubts.

Peace,
Rhino

Search_Diamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input!! I will be sending it to Consumer Gem Lab on Monday where Rockdoc can evaluate it himself. I have heard great things about him from this forum so I trust his evaluation.

Search_Diamond

Rough_Rock
On a side note, what light source should I be using to use the ideal scope? I was using a simple lamp with a light bulb of 100 watts.

Also the main area I see that leaks light is the center. Also the arrows seem somewhat silver not black.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yea. An IS image can change depending upon the light source/conditions. Smart move sending it to RockDoc.

Rhino

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi rhino,

just wondering, in your expert opinion, if having poor light return with good numbers and HCA was something quite common or a VERY unusual case...something that doesn't normally happen but obviously going through lots of stones, you're bound to come across such a beast.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results