shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you tweak this three stone ring proportions?

Which would you prefer smaller or larger three stone ring?

• Keep the original size, 7mm center and 5mm sides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Size up 1 mm to 8mm center and 6 mm sides

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Other, I'd do different proportions/carat weights

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I've been drooling over a Diamonds By Lauren ruby and diamond three stone ring and am considering having it made in moissanites/lab diamonds and a lab ruby center. Here's the question, would you size up the center and side stones? I'm a ring size 6, and part of me thinks that the original size of the ring is perfect-- not too large, not too small. But, part of me thinks little 5x3mm emerald sides, and the 7x5mm center is just a touch small and I should go up one size to 8mm and 6mm sides. Will I have shrinkage syndrome off the bat? I don't want to go overboard and go too big, but also don't want to have something created that's too dainty.

Original ring:

r7931-ruby-ring-02.jpg
r7931-hand-01.jpg

Spinel ring I found that was very similar in proportions, except the center was 6.7mm.

s-l300.jpg
s-l1600 (14).jpg

This ring is my finger size (well, 6 and 1/4), and the center is 7.75mm with the .5ct emerald sides-- it seems the 1 mm really makes a big impact in the finger coverage:
s-l1600 (15).jpg
s-l1600 (16).jpg

It depends on the kind of look you’re after. Personally, I don’t feel like sizing up the ring would be cost prohibitive since you’re working with lab stones or moissy, so I would size up to 8mm/6mm, or for a more “dramatic” look size up the centre even more to 9mm and keep the sides at 5 or 6. To me, the sizeable centre with smaller side stones will allow you to carry off a more bold look but still keep it very wearable and everyday!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably play with the proportions a little bit and go w/ a larger center stone, but keep the side stones the same side, or slightly narrower. I would probably want the side stones to be 50-60% of the width of the center stone.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to say the same thing as @dtnyc. I don’t think you need to size up all the stones. I think you should size up the center Ruby to an 8x6. That is not that huge on a size 6-7 finger. I would do the ruby at 8x6 with the side stones of 5x3.

I would do a little looking around for a quality lab center ruby and lab diamond side stones. It depends on what your budget is and how big of a hurry you are in to get this done. I know Lauren B carries the moissanites but I haven’t really seen anyone mention lab diamonds or lab rubies from them before at least on the boards.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your responses! Sizing up it is! Now I just need to decide if it should be 8mm, 9mm, and if I keep the sidestones smaller. I actually found one of the Japanese ebay sellers with an actual ruby and diamond ring, exact same proportions for about 1/4 the pice of the DbL one (I'm sure the ruby is heated/treated and not of similar quality). So absolutely no point in getting the same size in a lab stone if I could get a mined ruby/diamond ring for a bit more. I'll have to really think about how much I want to "size up".

s-l1600 (18).jpg
s-l1600 (17).jpg

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
To update on this thread, I decided to take the plunge with a 8x6mm emerald and 6x4mm side stones. I ordered lots of CZs to get them just right. I think this will give the optimal amount of finger coverage. I'm having Tiyanu make it! I can xpost to that thread as it develops. B59EE487-FF4D-42EC-9E83-46C32C2CF5D3.jpeg
Well shoot, I don't know how to rotate this in Pricescope, it's perfect on my phone. Anyway, you can see the 6x4mm sides give it more of a "three stone" look. I wouldn't want to go any smaller. These are also radiant side stones but I'll be getting emerald.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Cannot wait to see your finished ring!! Going to be gorgeous.

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness, that is gorgeous! The ruby just glows, and I think you got the proportions perfectly right. :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results