shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you trust a jeweler on Etsy?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Be honest. Also if there are trusted jewelers please DM me their info. I know this is probably an unpopular question but I wanted to know the truth. There is some very pretty yet pricey jewelry and wanted to verify if it was in fact the real deal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It completely depends on the jeweler. Etsy is a giant marketplace. There are some trustworthy people and some that are not. We don't have a DM function here, so no one can DM you. Some popular jewelers often discussed here are: David Klass, ID Jewelry in NYC, Diamonds by Lauren, Whiteflash, High Performance DIamonds, Brian Gavin DIamonds, and many others. It all depends on what you are looking for.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As most will say, "trust but verify". I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but it depends. There are many great vendors on Etsy and shady sellers too. You have to do your homework as to the particular vendor and ensure there's a good return policy that you're satisfied with. I've been very pleased with some plain gold bands that I've purchased and many that I follow are on eBay as well (with 99-100% positive ratings). If it were any significant stone, I'd insist on a certification.

laken70

Rough_Rock
Be honest. Also if there are trusted jewelers please DM me their info. I know this is probably an unpopular question but I wanted to know the truth. There is some very pretty yet pricey jewelry and wanted to verify if it was in fact the real deal.

I’ve bought 3 pieces from William White in the UK and everything went very smoothly and his work lived up to my expectations.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the jeweler. Obviously look at the reviews, but also look at the pictures in their store. If a jeweler is actually making their own jewelry, the pictures will usually be taken in pretty similar ways with pretty similar setups. You may see the same hands in them over and over. If the pictures have different setups, lighting, hands, etc, do a reverse-image search to see if they bring up anything else. Some places steal pictures from other jewelers and the item you will receive won't look exactly like the original - like I've seen CVB pictures stolen and the reviews stating that the item looked bulky and unfinished compared to the listing pictures, which doesn't surprise me.

For antique jewelry, same thing re: photo setup, but you'll probably be relying more on reviews.

You can always post the etsy shops you're looking at here and people can chime in with our experiences or impressions.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on the jeweler. Obviously look at the reviews, but also look at the pictures in their store. If a jeweler is actually making their own jewelry, the pictures will usually be taken in pretty similar ways with pretty similar setups. You may see the same hands in them over and over. If the pictures have different setups, lighting, hands, etc, do a reverse-image search to see if they bring up anything else. Some places steal pictures from other jewelers and the item you will receive won't look exactly like the original - like I've seen CVB pictures stolen and the reviews stating that the item looked bulky and unfinished compared to the listing pictures, which doesn't surprise me.

For antique jewelry, same thing re: photo setup, but you'll probably be relying more on reviews.

You can always post the etsy shops you're looking at here and people can chime in with our experiences or impressions.

This is great advise

I think if i was unsure I'd ask on here first

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
As much as I’d trust a jeweler in any other venue. I’ve gotten some great inexpensive pieces custom made for me on Etsy. I haven’t done any bigger commissions on ETSY because I want to meet my jeweler in person and exchange ideas in real time. I’m old fashioned like that.

But yeah, of course. I’d vet them just as I’d vet anyone else with whom I was trusting large amounts of money

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I bought a couple 14K Name plates and I was A okay with what I received

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
As others said, Etsy is such a huge marketplace it really varies. Are you looking for feedback on a specific vendor, or searching for a specific item?

It’s hard to give a recommendation without knowing what you’re looking for, but in addition to the vendors already listed I’ve had positive experiences with Ferko’s and I love Lily and Dahlia.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had good experiences on Etsy but usually with known jewellers such as Daniel M or Julia B. Trust but verify is a good tactic.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I jumped into the deep end on Etsy.
I saw a cheaply priced sapphire at $149, bought it and then needed a setting.
Having a setting made here in Australia is very expensive and I couldn’t find anything modestly priced that I liked so I opted to go with the same Etsy seller. Cost was $500 for an 18ct white gold ring with the sapphire set in a diamond halo.
My expectations weren’t high, however I was very pleasantly surprised with the end result.
With the seller, check the video. The photos aren’t accurate, too bright, however the video is true to real life. 866CC3C7-3A77-4BB9-BD09-C1FD2435F216.jpeg 4100D4E0-A83D-4531-8823-76E1BC925673.jpeg I bought it based on the video and it was exactly like it.
LuckyStarGems was the vendor.

diamondsndogs

Rough_Rock

As others have said, all depends on the vendor. After a lot of research, I bought what I think is a lovely 1.5ctw 5 stone band (F/VS2) from an Etsy vendor. There are many times I am doing things and don't want to wear my engagement ring and diamond eternity band, yet wanted some diamond presence on my hand. The "U set" band I bought from the Etsy vendor fits my requirements perfectly. Plenty of bling, but no worries about hitting a higher setting on anything, etc.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my engagement ring off Etsy. It was from a vendor who had a website and eBay presence which I’d verified and checked reviews etc of before handing over any money. They’d also supplied additional photos of the ring which reassured me that they had it in their possession and were legit.
If you do your due diligence, same as you would for any high-value transaction, you can derisk the transaction.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock

I've only had personal experience with one jeweler on Etsy. That is David Klass who is very popular here on Pricescope. I would trust him 100%!!! He is the best in all ways!

There are also several other Pricescope approved jewelers who sell on Etsy & I wouldn't hesitate to buy for them.

However, Esty is a really big marketplace with all kinds of sellers. Kind of like Ebay. If you venture beyond the known and true vendors that have outstanding reputations, you'll need to do your homework on who the seller might be & how reliable their work is.

I've purchased several items off Etsy (not jewelry) and have never been disappointed. However, I have also researched these vendors to find their presence in other places and what real buyers have had to say about them. I'm very anal in researching the validity of who I'll buy something from.

On the other hand, my husband bought something off Etsy just once and got totally ripped off. He took things at face value and got scammed. However, he usually has very good luck when buying things off Ebay. Go figure. Even expensive items. He once bought a $15,000 camera lens off Ebay from a private seller. That was risky. However, the lens was new & mint exactly as represented.

Frankly, I'd be careful on either Etsy or Ebay with high ticket items unless you "know" (from research) and feel comfortable with the seller. You can get some great merchandise and good buys on both. But you can also get ripped off.

Anyhow, yes, many Etsy jewelers can be "the real deal". As I know from personal experience. However, others may not be. As my husband (who didn't do his research) found out.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I found a vender who I trusted on Etsy. She made a beautiful 14k gold setting for my emerald and set it for me no problem. Great price, good communication.

I commissioned a custom piece from her about a year later. I sent her about 30 of my loose stones. She took the full amount of the payment, stole all my loose stones, closed her Etsy shop, and was never heard from again. It has been almost 2 years.

Now I only go to vendors that are PS favorites.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends would be my answer.

IvyandRoseVintage is a trusted vendor for CSs, and I have purchased from Yvonne of CecileRaleyDesigns, Jeff Davies for CSs, Golden Bird for Moissanite jewellery and his other shop Ouros for lab/MMDs.

I have also purchased cheap and cheerful pearls from Wen Pearls.

Can't vouch for the others, sorry!

DK :))

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I have had good luck on Etsy. But I haven't made any large purchases either. Mostly smaller pieces from well known shops. Do your homework, and ask around if you are unsure.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I found a vender who I trusted on Etsy. She made a beautiful 14k gold setting for my emerald and set it for me no problem. Great price, good communication.

I commissioned a custom piece from her about a year later. I sent her about 30 of my loose stones. She took the full amount of the payment, stole all my loose stones, closed her Etsy shop, and was never heard from again. It has been almost 2 years.

Yikes!! Sorry that happened to you. Were you able to charge back with credit card company?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes!! Sorry that happened to you. Were you able to charge back with credit card company?

Etsy offered me a refund, but only because the seller closed her shop and my purchase was never shipped. If she would have falsely put 'shipped' and then closed it, Etsy said they couldn't help me. Thankfully I didn't have to go to my credit card as Etsy covered it.

Liking only because I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and to show support. So sorry this happened to you :cry2:

ETA: glad to hear you got a monetary refund. But still, sorry for the loss of those stones!

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Etsy offered me a refund, but only because the seller closed her shop and my purchase was never shipped. If she would have falsely put 'shipped' and then closed it, Etsy said they couldn't help me. Thankfully I didn't have to go to my credit card as Etsy covered it.

Glad you at least got a refund from Etsy. Though I realize that doesn't cover the cost of the stones you shipped to them. Ughh

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Etsy is a garbage pail. Maybe I spoke too strongly, it’s a toilet. And it’s full of brown stuff.
Sorry for the strong opinions, but as a seller who values integrity and honesty, I resent being thrown off of Etsy. We were kicked out because… Well I can’t even say why we were thrown off. Ostensibly, it’s because I don’t sit behind the bench and set diamonds diamonds myself. As if other sellers are setting their own stones. So although we’re nor allowed there, they will allow many other people to steal my pictures and rip off buyers. Horrible horrible place. Do not trust anyone there.
/rant

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

OMG @Sprinkles&Stones did Etsy ever help you out with this situation? That sounds just heartbreaking and I am so sorry that happened to you!

Edit sorry I see you already answered this question. Again I am so sorry.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Etsy is a garbage pail. Maybe I spoke too strongly, it’s a toilet. And it’s full of brown stuff.
Sorry for the strong opinions, but as a seller who values integrity and honesty, I resent being thrown off of Etsy. We were kicked out because… Well I can’t even say why we were thrown off. Ostensibly, it’s because I don’t sit behind the bench and set diamonds diamonds myself. As if other sellers are setting their own stones. So although we’re nor allowed there, they will allow many other people to steal my pictures and rip off buyers. Horrible horrible place. Do not trust anyone there.
/rant

@Rockdiamond did you ever try to appeal the decision? I have seen you post about this before and it just sounds so crazy. It makes me wonder if someone "reported" you bc it doesn't seem to be the type of site trolling for people who are breaking the rules. I see sketchy vendors on there all the time. It makes no sense that they kicked you off!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Mreader !
Yes we hired an attorney to appeal. It’s one of those companies where you really can’t speak to a human ( easily )
And we didn’t go crazy. Paid for an hour’s time. I suppose you could spend tens of thousands on legal fees and maybe get satisfaction. But that’s totally not what it’s supposed to be like.....it’s supposed to be a boutique site for small businesses.
I apologize for the harsh tone of my post this morning...... I had just gotten an email telling me about this seller.
Thank goodness TA not all that great a loss. Etsy wasn’t ever all that great for us. The fees are exorbitant and the traffic nothing to compare to eBay. But still , when I get an email like this. ..... salt in the wound.

Attachments

• 289A589A-9388-4F24-8EAE-D629BE689425.jpeg
    289A589A-9388-4F24-8EAE-D629BE689425.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 79

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mreader !
Yes we hired an attorney to appeal. It’s one of those companies where you really can’t speak to a human ( easily )
And we didn’t go crazy. Paid for an hour’s time. I suppose you could spend tens of thousands on legal fees and maybe get satisfaction. But that’s totally not what it’s supposed to be like.....it’s supposed to be a boutique site for small businesses.
I apologize for the harsh tone of my post this morning...... I had just gotten an email telling me about this seller.
Thank goodness TA not all that great a loss. Etsy wasn’t ever all that great for us. The fees are exorbitant and the traffic nothing to compare to eBay. But still , when I get an email like this. ..... salt in the wound.

I get it- that would stick in my craw too. Sooooooo frustrating.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Mreader !

WTAF.
Your photos are so distinctive, too.
:angryfire:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Mreader !

This is beyond infuriating. Especially considering your well deserved reputation for beautiful jewellery and amazing customer service, it really angers me when things like this happen, when shonky businesses rip people off every day and get away with with it. As a business owner (and as a person!) it makes me so mad!!

Thanks @Mreader !

I'm sorry to see this happening to you/your business. I wouldn't want to be associated with a fraudster like that either.

I also sympathize with any buyers they manage to trick, thinking they'd get such a beautiful piece for pennies on the dollar.

Sucks all around.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to see this happening to you/your business. I wouldn't want to be associated with a fraudster like that either.

I also sympathize with any buyers they manage to trick, thinking they'd get such a beautiful piece for pennies on the dollar.

Sucks all around.

Yeah, that's the thing that most infuriates me about it. Like, people stealing pictures or not crediting pictures, fine, whatever, it's the internet. People then representing them as something they can make for you exactly like that, when we all know they probably can't? Terrible!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results