shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you size a vintage ring w/engraving?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

I just purchased a really sweet, dainty diamond wedding band from a jewelry show. The ring is vintage with engraving on the inside "T.K.C. to C.C.H. 12-13-32 18K". The ring is a size 5.5 but my right hand ring finger is a 3.5.

7.gif
I''m wearing the ring on my index finger at the moment, but I''d really like to wear it on my ring finger.

Here''s my question: Should I get the ring sized down to fit my ring finger and lose the engraving?

I think I’d feel a bit guilty if I size it - like I''m defiling someone''s ring. I''m sure C.C.H. is no longer w/us, but that''s even more of a reason I feel like I should just wear the ring as is. I''m a sentimental dork, I know....

What would you do?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I would NOT size it. I love antiques and I kind of feel like it''s defiling/ devaluing the ring to do that. Plus you would lose the gorgeous engraving!

*M*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
How big is your right middle finger? Could you wear it on that finger without resizing?

metro

Brilliant_Rock
My right hand middle finger is a size 5. I''ve tried wearing the ring on my middle finger and it turns.
38.gif

I wish my fingers weren''t so darn small!! It''s impossible to find anything smaller than a 4!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I would size it. I''m sure the ring brought CCH many years of happiness and now it is your turn to enjoy it, and part of enjoying it is wearing it on the finger you want.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would put sizing beads on the instead to make it a size 5 so that you can wear it on your middle or index finger. This should keep the engraving work intact and sizing beads are easy to remove.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 4:21:45 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I think I would put sizing beads on the instead to make it a size 5 so that you can wear it on your middle or index finger. This should keep the engraving work intact and sizing beads are easy to remove.

Oh, good idea!

*M*

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 4:23:00 PM
Author: poptart

Oh, good idea!

*M*
Yeah - that is a good idea! Is sizing beads inexpensive?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sizing beads OR horseshoe sizer (horseshoe might be more comfortable). Jazmine has a horseshoe on her ring. This is a great idea - so the ring fits w/o you having to size it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 4:44:08 PM
Author: metro

Date: 4/16/2007 4:23:00 PM
Author: poptart

Oh, good idea!

*M*
Yeah - that is a good idea! Is sizing beads inexpensive?
I don''t *think* so, but honestly I have no idea. Firegoddess has a good idea with the horseshoe sizer as well. I bet that would be more comfortable.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say don''t size-I like the sizing beads idea the best. A horseshoe sizer would work, too, but then you couldn''t see the engraving.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:29:29 PM
Author: thing2of2
I say don''t size-I like the sizing beads idea the best. A horseshoe sizer would work, too, but then you couldn''t see the engraving.
Yes, it would depend on where the engraving is, whether the band is one-sided or whether the diamonds go all around and you can choose where to place the horseshoe...

If the band has a definite ''orientation'' and the engraving is on the bottom, the horseshoe would cover it up. This is Jazmine''s. I just think it would be more comfortable than beads, but there may be no way around beads if the horseshoe covers the engraving.

jazhorseshoe.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point, FG. I made a picture in my head with diamonds on top and the engraving on the bottom of the ring, but obviously that might not be the case!
3.gif
Hahaha...my imagination doesn''t always equal reality, sadly! (Because I can imagine myself dripping in diamonds and it looks sooo good!)

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the best pic I could get of the engraving. Yes, the horseshoe sizer would cover it up, but at least it would still be there.

engravp425.jpg

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the ring on my index finger.

v1932ring 057.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or your middle finger.
2.gif

I LOVE that ring!!! And it seriously looks really good on your middle finger.....what a beautiful find.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 10:56:40 AM
Author: metro
Here''s the ring on my index finger.
Oops! Yeah, on my middle finger
40.gif

Thanks, FireGoddess!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I really like it on your middle finger as well!

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results