shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather have a second bathroom or in unit laundry?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

My brother is single and his kids are grown. He is buying a condo. He is trying to decide between two buildings. Both are really nice, safe areas, high rise living in a city. Condos approximately the same square feet, 2 bedrooms. However, one building the condos two bathrooms have a laundry room in the basement, so that would mean elevator to laundry room and having to wait with laundry or risk it being stolen, plus a pain to do. The other building, the condo he likes has in unit laundry but only one bathroom.

So, would you:

1. Pick 2 bedroom 1 bathroom with in unit laundry.

2. 2 bedroom 2 bathroom, laundry in basement?

I would pick number 1. I think taking laundry to a laundry room in the basement would be a pain in the neck. He is worried about when he has guests or his adult kids visit only having one bathroom. But I think on a day to day basis, having laundry in his condo would be so much better than dragging to the basement. And save time too.

What do you all think?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

My brother is single and his kids are grown. He is buying a condo. He is trying to decide between two buildings. Both are really nice, safe areas, high rise living in a city. Condos approximately the same square feet, 2 bedrooms. However, one building the condos two bathrooms have a laundry room in the basement, so that would mean elevator to laundry room and having to wait with laundry or risk it being stolen, plus a pain to do. The other building, the condo he likes has in unit laundry but only one bathroom.

So, would you:

1. Pick 2 bedroom 1 bathroom with in unit laundry.

2. 2 bedroom 2 bathroom, laundry in basement?

I would pick number 1. I think taking laundry to a laundry room in the basement would be a pain in the neck. He is worried about when he has guests or his adult kids visit only having one bathroom. But I think on a day to day basis, having laundry in his condo would be so much better than dragging to the basement. And save time too.

What do you all think?

Laundry

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2bd 2 bath

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2nd bath. Unless his neighbors are thieving jerks, and the laundry room is publicly accessible, it's unlikely his laundry will be stolen.

Also, if he has the space, he might be able to add a washer/dryer himself.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming the bathroom is accessible via the common space and not just through the master bedroom, then definitely in-unit laundry.

(This is both my personal preference and my advice as a realtor... )

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Bathroom all day long.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Laundry for sure. Why does a single guy need an extra bathroom more than he needs the ability to take clothes out of the dryer the moment the buzzer goes off, thereby avoiding ironing?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a property that size I’d go for the laundry too.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick the in unit laundry. I lived with one bathroom for 4 to 5 people a good chunk of my life. I lived and would do it again. For me not having to go up and down stairs and not having to share a public laundry is a priority. I admit to having some quirks though.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For 1 person with the *possibility* of visitors, laundry for sure.
if it were more people living there, I'd lean bathroom, but for only 1 person, he won't need a second bathroom 99% of the time.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
2nd bath. No question. I would purchase a portable apartment washer and no vent dryer to deal with laundry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laundry!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For 1 person with the *possibility* of visitors, laundry for sure.
if it were more people living there, I'd lean bathroom, but for only 1 person, he won't need a second bathroom 99% of the time.

This. Definitely laundry for his situation.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for resale value, bathrooms will sell all day long. There's lots of laundrettes everywhere. Also as a reminder, if even one of the baths or kitchen is big enough, you CAN get a ventless washer/dryer combo.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2nd bath. No question. I would purchase a portable apartment washer and no vent dryer to deal with laundry.

That's a good idea but make sure it won't violate any association rules. If so and (a) he gets caught he could get fined or otherwise sanctioned by the association, and (b) any issue like a leak that causes damage to his unit, another unit or a common area may not be covered by insurance if the association rules prohibit these items.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laundry. He would quickly tire of trekking to the basement to do laundry, especially as he gets older.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bathroom. Unless he’s gonna be single forever.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two can share one bathroom, and a partner or spouse will appreciate the laundry in unit.

We only have one bathroom. And our daughter still lives with us.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
Laundry. I hated having to share laundry facilities. I'd rather be able to do it at my own convenience, rather than having to keep watching the time to make sure I don't accidentally leave my load in the facilities too long, only to have someone angrily take them out for me. Unless he's having guests over quite frequently, hopefully sharing a bathroom here and there won't be too bad. I do like others' ideas about maybe placing a washer and dryer in the second bath if there's space though. If that's feasible, that would be ideal.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a serious problem using the same washing machine as strangers...
I'd have to wash super high sanitary cycle just to be sure the machine is bacteria /fungus /yuck free before I could ever do a delicate or cold cycle for my laundry

So : laundry hands down or, if OK with the association : a washing machine and dryer in the guest bedroom

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am remodeling my bedroom bathroom to get the washer/dryer out of my bedroom and into an alcove entered from the hallway (making a smaller master bath and closet). Some people suggested why didn't I put the washer/dryer on the back porch or in the cellar? No way! For me it is a true luxury not to have to go to basement to do laundry. That I can do my laundry whenever I want day or night without camping out somewhere. And I wouldn't assume you could add a washer/dryer in the condo after the fact, unless you got confirmation from the landlord beforehand. But everyone is different. Maybe he would like to do laundry in the basement and meet someone? As Kenny says, people vary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bathroom.

I no longer do laundry at home.
I find doing it only once every 4 or 5 weeks at a laundromat is a much more efficient use of my time.
I got a zillion identical sox and undies.

The laundromat has lots of huge machines, and I now know the day and times when it is not crowded, because when I go I need seven or eight three-loaders.

Bibi loves the outing, and the kids love the purdy burdy.

Last edited:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would definitely prioritize in-unit laundry.

That said, I did once live in a condo building with a shared laundry room on each floor (free), and it worked well.

I have also lived in apartment buildings with shared (fee-based) laundry in the basement. So many issues! Let me name a few:

- Units were busy when I needed them
- People took my things out of the machines to put their own in (and since you're never there when it happens, you have no recourse)
- One building had an electronic payment system, and periodically it would stop working, so you just couldn't do laundry until the management was available to fix it
- Obviously the going up and down multiple times every laundry day (and you have to get DRESSED, lol)

When I bought my current condo, a total must was in-unit laundry. And I have only one bathroom too. So far it's working great and I'm happy with this decision.

Good luck to your brother with his purchase!

Anne

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bathroom. It's so easy to put a washing machine and dryer into places and cheaper too than having to put in another bathroom.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely bathroom for resale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results