shape
carat
color
clarity

would you have a local jeweler bezel OEC studs?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
all the recent discussion of studs has me considering clearing out my unworn MRB studs and setting two ~.85/1.7ctw OECs I have.
I'd like to get them set in a simple bezel setting with millegrain. the stones are uncerted and I know from a previous project one of the OECs has a small chip on the girdle (which I'm told is not a danger to the stone).
can anyone tell me if they have had experience having stones set in bezels with good results? My last attempt, with a different local jeweler pre-PS, was not great. Are good bezels just difficult to get right? My standards are a bit higher these days and I'm clearer on what I want, but I'm hesitant to send them long distance for setting since this is not a major project.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I think it may come down to what is available in your area. I'm not sure I would trust anyone at all in my town to bezel set old cuts after some of the experiences I have had involving undisclosed scratching to stones (granted they were pretty soft, but they were freshly cut, never set, and came back with scratches) . There's only a couple of places right now that I'd personally trust to do something like that and it would entail sending things away. But the same would go for having anything at all done with my larger OEC too. There seriously isn't anyone I would trust to mess with my e-ring stone in any capacity where I live.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would ask to see some of their bezel and miligrain work. In general I have found that unless I can see examples of their work I don't take anyone's word. I know that for bezels I would recommend DanielM on etsy (though not his miligraining), the JbEG girls, and BGD. I have done bezels with all of them and been very happy. I found it expensive to ship and insure while setting. Really the only issue is some places, I know BGD for example, charges a setting fee for stones not purchased through them. That can add up. :((

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the skill of your local bench. It is difficult to make a good bezel (without a lot of metal showing, smooth and even under magnification). It also depends on how symmetrical your OECs are. The rounder they are, the easier it is to make a good bezel, as opposed to OECs with a slight off-round outline.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the responses!
I do need to investigate their bench - to date we've only had watch repairs/maintenance done at this particular place.

I had some small MRBs bezeled many years ago at a different local bench and they look very rough to me now. I'd like to avoid a similar scenario with these. I should also look at more earring images. I thought I saw, on PS, some OECs set with prongs and an airline with an octagonal millegrain bezel....and of course now I can't find it. maybe an airline would help if I have wonky OECs? (although complexity may decrease my ability to have it done locally.)

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really depends on what the local jeweler is offering and her/his level of skill. For example, stock Stuller "tube" bezels are fairly easy to work with and look nice, though they're a little bulky (could be modified and maybe trimmed, though?) If you plan to add milgrain, ask to see samples of his/her work.

For custom bezels, this gets trickier and you want to make sure the level of skill and aesthetic meet your needs. Again, seeing samples of the jeweler's custom work is key. Then the next step is to bring pictures of exactly the style you want, discuss the thickness of the bezels, where you want the posts to sit, etc. and make sure your communication is very clear. Leave these sample photos with the jeweler so that there's no confusion about what you want, and the bench can refer back to the images as needed.

If you're unsure, then you might consider shipping your stone to a forum jeweler who has the exact setting style you want. Sometimes peace of mind is worth its weight in gold.

mypatience

Rough_Rock
Hi OP!

Wow this post is timely! I just picked up my earrings today from my local jeweler. I had been recommended to this place by 3+ women who have had custom work done. No bezel work that I had seen though. I went in and asked for bezel settings in rose gold with milgrain. The SA said she would take a look to see if they could find anything. She calls me and says they couldn't source anything but would happily make them. So I brought in my earrings previously martini set and off they went for four weeks.
When I went to go pick them up, I put one on and immediately heard a noise.. I took it off and determined the stone was loose. I handed it back to the SA and she said I don't think so and we went back a fourth and she took it in the back and had the jeweler look at it who confirmed it was secure. I put it back on and heard the noise again! I said come over here and listen, she came over and heard when I tapped the stone it was clearly making a noise. So they took them back for another two weeks and I went to pick them up today. The noise is gone and I took them home.

In retrospect, I should have waiting and saved the money to send them off to a reputable bezel maker. However, my wedding is coming up quick and I really wanted them to match. After seeing my earrings the first time and taking a close look at the bezel and milgrain I went home and ordered the rose gold bezel band with milgrain from BGD like I wanted.

That being said, I LOVE them and I'm so happy I finally did it. I can't dwell and they are just fine... (for now)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most local jewelers have probably never been asked to set diamonds in milgrain bezel studs, so my vote is to go where you know they will be done right.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely ask to see some of his/her work first and also be sure to bring in lots of pictures of what you want from various angles. After being on PS for many years, I realize that I was incredibly lucky to have my bezel pendant turn out well, especially considering it wasn't the typical style the jeweler normally worked with and also his typical metal (he works with gold and I had the bezel made out of platinum). I had found a DBTY pendant with photos from many angles and I printed all those out and gave them to him. It turned out well. Another time I had someone reset a couple of diamonds and used terms from PS that I thought were basic clear descriptions because I've seen the same terms used at B&M stores, too, but didn't bring in any pictures and he set them in the wrong kind of settings. It was a simple communication mistake but now I would like to reset them again!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, but my jeweler is good. He has made me something similar (but with a halo) and they were great. Definitely agree about asking to see work before committing. Or just going straight to Erica or BGD if you want the job done right.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Having seen how widely quality can vary, I wouldn't go with a local jeweler myself unless I saw a wide array of similar style pieces he'd done inhouse. (i.e. unless he has a bunch of milgrain bezel studs in his case, I'd probably not feel confident).

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for all the feedback - I'm staring to remember the feeling of disappointment with my last local bezel projects. (they used what I now realize are stock tubes and they wound up sort of rough.) I have quite a few older re-sets that now just linger unworn.
I think I'll be cautious and patient this time. I do get to LA often enough to have someone trusted and experienced do the work.
I want a go-to pair of studs I love and I won't be happy unless the quality is on par with my post PS ring acquisitions.
(my new very short haircut is causing me to want earrings on all the time!)

mypatience - so glad your studs worked out! Plse post pics!!! I'd love to see RG bezels!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a fair number of vendors associated with PS won't set outside stones at this point, so I'm guessing that will be a primary limiting factor.

I too would only use a trusted and vetted vendor for a project like that. There's just too much room for error, IMO - old cuts have wonky outlines, uneven girdles, one of them is chipped...

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
When my mom passed away 3 years ago I inherited her studs. They are 3cttw and were in white gold baskets. I had BGD put them in Rose gold with milgrain to match my Barbara pendant that I wear 24/7
I can't remember what it cost, but it seemed reasonable and I love their milgrain.
I would send them off to a vendor whose work you know.
My old studs 2cttw are in 4 prong baskets and I'm debating bezel in them but in white gold with milgrain.
And a gratuitous family shot!

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1395876172.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1395876187.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1395876232.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go w a known entity, not take a chance on a local jeweller. Now, if you live in NYC or LA or Houston - then your "local jeweller" could be a pretty fabulous PS vendor :lol: :lol: but otherwise, no, I wouldn't take a chance. I'd go for the sure thing.

And I've seen Sparklelu's studs in person and I'd use BGD if you want that look!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi- thread jack... Mark Loren called the pendant is ready!! I'm picking it up tomorrow will post it later.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparklelu|1395884824|3642039 said:
Enerchi- thread jack... Mark Loren called the pendant is ready!! I'm picking it up tomorrow will post it later.

OMG!! I'm sooooo excited!!! I hope you'll love it as much as we thought!!

(Sorry Harpertoo!)

mypatience

Rough_Rock
Harpertoo|1395845085|3641661 said:
thanks for all the feedback - I'm staring to remember the feeling of disappointment with my last local bezel projects. (they used what I now realize are stock tubes and they wound up sort of rough.) I have quite a few older re-sets that now just linger unworn.
I think I'll be cautious and patient this time. I do get to LA often enough to have someone trusted and experienced do the work.
I want a go-to pair of studs I love and I won't be happy unless the quality is on par with my post PS ring acquisitions.
(my new very short haircut is causing me to want earrings on all the time!)

mypatience - so glad your studs worked out! Plse post pics!!! I'd love to see RG bezels!

Here are two photos... pretty hard to photograph earrings!
Studs are 1.6 G I1

earringone.jpg

ear_shot.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
i thought I'd update this.
I decided against re-setting the OECs locally, but have a few smaller pairs of studs I wanted to take a look at re-setting in the meantime.
I decided to pull some out that I inherited and never really took a good look at...low and behold the stones, while white and sparkly, are not exactly a match given one is an OEC and one a MRB! (I sort of laugh when I think of it because it bugs me, but I'm pretty sure no one would notice.)
so next plan....I have another set of matching MRBs that I took to re-set. I was thinking if their bench did not seem up to bezels I'd just go for a stock RG basket. In the end I'm happy with the bezels they set.
I'm not sure what I'll do with the OEC/MRB pair...I think I want to keep them together as a ode to asymmetry.

dsc_4563.jpg

dsc_4574.jpg

dsc_4854.jpg

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
May I ask you what is it about bezel setting that makes it extra tricky? Is there something that I should check before consigning one? Just wondering, since I will be having my ring done locally, ad it is an AVR in a milgrain bezel. I know the goldsmith has done them before, but I didn't have any idea they are hard to get right and if I should check something beforehand on the few example pieces they have..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results