shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you clone your beloved pet for $50,000?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not because of the money. Because it wouldn't be the same animal. Same DNA but different personality. So hard pass for me. If the question was could I bring my beloved babies back for 50K I would in a heartbeat if it was possible. But a clone? No. I would rather save a stray cat who needs a loving home than clone another if you kwim.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much as I love my current ailing feline, I wouldn't clone him. I've worked with cats at the shelter and there are so many great ones looking for a home. I got my other cat Snowy there, and my daughter got her two cats at a shelter.

Go shelter pets!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, too creepy.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not. I like to experience new things and let my previous pets remain as good memories only.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's next, cloning our favorite SO or child? :shock:

What is natural is enough for me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t do it as much as I love Bailey. It wouldn’t be him..We wouldn’t have the same history that we experienced together....

joelly

Ideal_Rock
No, not because of the money. Because it wouldn't be the same animal. Same DNA but different personality. So hard pass for me. If the question was could I bring my beloved babies back for 50K I would in a heartbeat if it was possible. But a clone? No. I would rather save a stray cat who needs a loving home than clone another if you kwim.

Yes I’m with @missy

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I dont have a 50K ring (but I'd love one!) cloning to me is a bit scary since copies are never as good as the original.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm well apart from never having that kind of disposable money, I wouldn't do it. To me adopting a pet and saving a life is a more appropriate action to honor a lost pet.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tinky is my soul mate
I know he's waiting in heaven with mum and dad (even though mum hated cats :mrgreen2: )
So no from me either

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
What a coincidence - I was just reading about this a couple of days ago.
Here’s an article that talks about the negative aspects of cloning.

I wouldn’t do it either, even if I had the money.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, because a genetic “replica” isn’t the same dog (or cat).
Better to rescue another poor unwanted soul and give them all your love and care and make new happy memories.
And donate the other $49,500 to Animal Rescue so others have a chance at life.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from all the other reasons, I wouldn’t bother. There is always another pet to love who needs us.
That said, my DD had her cat’s cells prepared for cloning when he died. It’s sad and ridiculous, and she could ill afford even that process. Still, it makes her feel she will one day own a living part of him again. And it’s 25k here. But thankfully you only pay when the actual cloning is done.
I wonder if she plans to clone me :lol:
Probabaly not, as it’s kitties who are top dog in the cat lovers hierarchy of affection :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I'd just get another piece of jewelry. She would understand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it might look the same but it doesn't share the same memories and experience. It will be a lookalike only.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This.

Every pet we have loved and thought how could we love the next as much. But then we do, and think the same about that one! I have sweet memories of them all and that is enough. There are new animals that need a home.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wouldn't. It's not the same to me.

Maybe i'm weird, but when we had to put down my cat, I held him and cuddled and kissed him before/during, but after he was gone, I didn't want to hold him. It was just a dead body. It wasn't him. My ILs had to put down their dog and honestly it creeped me out that they held her and rocked her in their arms for hours (ish) after she passed. Everyone grieves differently and I can see cloning being a way of trying to overcome that grief but I really don't think it would be the same. You can clone the body, but not the soul.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I lost one cat in one of the most tragic ways as an older teen. She was my one true soulmate cat. Her name was Siren (It sounds strange at first but it became an excellent and perfect name for her) and she was an all black slinky girl who was fiercly loyal to me and boy was she strange! She acted like a dog towards me but distant to anyone else. She once peed on my bf's back because him and I were laying on my bed haha (sideways on our tummies with our feet up looking at pictures ahem!) She seemed to be able to almost communicate with me telepathically because I would think of her and shed just prop up from underneath the bed or where ever and cuddle me. She was a human soul that cat was...

I swear the look in her eyes when shed stare at mine was something Ive never seen before. She was the animal I had that created my first interest or belief in possible reincarnation.

I raised her as a foster to adopt and was told she wouldnt make it without her mom, and I bottle fed that skinny little fat tummied kitten.
Theres not a day that goes by that I dont think about her.

Although Id love to see her and cuddle her again I know that a replica of her body wont replace her soul and I know that bringing her back, if necromancy was such a thing would bring back something much darker, as we all leave this body someday. Something so unnatural wouldnt produce the same Siren. (I'm going off practical magic here in this fantastical thought project! Haha) So with either offer Id have to say no.

What I have kept an eye out for and I trust and have always trusted my soul to know is the opportunity to find another little black cat girl, or really let her find me. Ive made and kept a promise to myself that if someone ever came to me needing a home for a little female black cat, that I would take that as a sign and make room for her in my home.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, because they wouldn't be the same pet. They'd just be a new pet with the same DNA as your old one (I think of it how like identical twins are each their own person and not interchangeable). I imagine it would just make me sad and miss my beloved pet even more as no matter how much they looked alike, they just wouldn't be the same.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love our pets because of their personality and the experiences we have shared with them, not their genetic make up.

This. I shared memories and experiences with my beloved dog. Nothing can replace that.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I ever shared this, but my dog Noah talks. He imitates full sentences in "hooman voice". I started by teaching him to say "I Love You". He is the smartest dog I have ever encountered...he also learns new tricks, such as the "Snoot" challenge, and high five, roll over etc in less than a day. He also has the sweetest temperament. He does not bark, he grumbles when he hears other dogs bark.

Anyway, if the price of cloning were $5k instead of 50k, I would consider cloning him, and teaching his clone to do more tricks as a puppy, and be his agent so that he can be a movie star!

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
Oh, there is a part of me that would spend that kind of money (assuming I had that kind of money) to keep my current dog healthy and alive, for another 12+ years, but no, I don't want a copy of her.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not unless they can include some upgrades.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I miss my cats and would love to see them again, I just don’t think I would clone them. As many others have mentioned, they may look the same but they won’t be. I miss my beautiful Felix. He used to wrap his arms over my shoulders in a “kitty hug” and give me face rubs. He’s the one who swiped at me, on my wedding day, because he hated having so many people in the house. I want that cat...not just a copy.

I think it’s better to save a life and adopt a new pet. One thing I love about adopting new furbabies is the opportunity to experience a whole new personality. Starting a whole new relationship. We’ve had our new cat for 6 months now and he’s adorable, and quirky, and occasionally a jerk....but I wouldn’t have him any other way. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results