shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this be eye clean?

diamondringseeker

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am very interested in this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1241755.asp
with PS discount this comes out to $4850

I asked JA to choose from 3 diamonds and this one came out on top. He said it was is eye clean, icy white, and has excellent fire and brilliance. What is your opinion on this one?

I know the pic shows the stone on a 10x loupe but there is a small inclusion at the center of the diamond that bothers me a lot. Do you think it would be visible?

Also, for the setting I am choosing btw:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-White-Gold-Double-Claw-Prong-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-White-Gold-2-5mm-Knife-Edge-Solitaire.html
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-White-Cathedral-Reverse-Tapered-Engagement-Ring.html

What is your opinion? Is there one that is a better match for my diamond?

I need to make a VERY QUICK decision....

Thanks for your input.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good on light return but not H&A. Hearts are uneven and separation between hearts and chevrons is not that well define.

Eye-clean not way to judge except to see it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ask JA at what distance the diamond is eye-clean?

I like all of the settings, if you go with the pave one maybe request to get it lowered a tad (looks super high in the photo)

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I've tried on the knife edge from tiffany setting and personally I don't like it since it feels uncomfortable.
I like the gold double claw with pave setting~

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto SC, not a huge fan of the hearts pic, but it looks like a pretty stone!

Eyeclean - spend the couple hundred and have it shipped out to you, and spend a day playing with it. It's the *only* way to know for certain whether it's eyeclean to your specifications. You could ask your JA rep but I think they have some policies against judging inclusion visibility on <VS2s..?

Settings - I too personally found knife edge to be rather uncomfortable, but lots of people have no problem with it. If you choose the one w/ pave I'd ask them to set it lower than in that sample, it's perched pretty high.. I don't think a wedding band will sit perfectly flush with any of those designs, but you might want to ask JA if you have a preference.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I only know when i was purchasing my diamond I was told an SI1 diamond can be great, as long as the inclusions are in the right place, like on the side, or where they will be hidden with a prong. I can see the inclusion in the center w/o the loupe. I'm not experienced enough to tell you if is is good or not, but if it bothers you now, it will probably always bother you. As for the setting. I love pave, or the knife edge. The knife edge appears more classic to me, the other is more contemporary. It's what you and your fiance to be like that counts

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't judge eye clean from a photo.

Me, I would drop to F color to get VS2.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
JA will comment on eye cleaniness on Si stones - since I asked in my search as well. I may double check from what distance they mean eye clean. Sometimes, during normal wear, dirtier stones tend to show inclusions better because you aren't blinded by the beautiful flashes. There's a chance at certain angles you may see the inclusion as you play with the stone. It depends how good your eyes are but even if you see it, the other question is whether in real life, you would care.

Some people don't mind minimal inclusions that are difficult to spot in most circumstances. I lean away from inclusions on the table because obviously, they are more visible and since they're right on the face, it may come to bother you. However, in this case, the inclusions are tiny but dark-ish(?). I guess it really depends on you.

Do you want to have it sent to you first before setting it? If not, you can always buy both the setting and diamond. Look at it in all different kinds of light, and even dirty it up a bit too. If it really bothers you, return it.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iota15|1304325543|2909814 said:
JA will comment on eye cleaniness on Si stones - since I asked in my search as well. I may double check from what distance they mean eye clean. Sometimes, during normal wear, dirtier stones tend to show inclusions better because you aren't blinded by the beautiful flashes. There's a chance at certain angles you may see the inclusion as you play with the stone. It depends how good your eyes are but even if you see it, the other question is whether in real life, you would care.

Some people don't mind minimal inclusions that are difficult to spot in most circumstances. I lean away from inclusions on the table because obviously, they are more visible and since they're right on the face, it may come to bother you. However, in this case, the inclusions are tiny but dark-ish(?). I guess it really depends on you.

Do you want to have it sent to you first before setting it? If not, you can always buy both the setting and diamond. Look at it in all different kinds of light, and even dirty it up a bit too. If it really bothers you, return it.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up iota!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
If it helps, the description of its eye cleaniness matched what I saw in person. However, I note each person's eyes can see things differently - some people have super sharp eagle eyes, some are near-sighted and see inclusions better, etc.

There's a recent thread here where both the poster's fiance and the jeweler saw an eye clean Si stone. The poster however saw an inclusion and it's been bothering her.

Eye cleaniness, as described by the jewelers/gemologist/vendors, is assessed at a certain viewing distance. Your fiance or you may scrutinize the stone at a much closer distance - although hopefully, your fiance will not always be staring at her stone from an inch distance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The double claw with pave would get my settng vote.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results