shape
carat
color
clarity

Would the disappearance of Pricescope really affect you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy''s thread, (which is now locked) really gave me some thought.

First off, on an aside, Gypsy, I apologize that your thread was locked because I think there was potential for good conversation. I am well aware of the irony that in talking about the rules, I broke the rules which resulted in getting the thread closed down. I was making an edit to note that, but too late.

Secondly, it got me thinking...we all post on Pricescope for various reasons. There have been threads on why we came and why we stay. But I wonder, would it affect us much if it just stopped one day?

I think about this from time to time. I don''t spend much energy worrying about it, but I think, for whatever reason, one day the people who run it can just decide they''ve had enough. So where would I be?

I consider myself a person who is balanced and have a life, but I also think I''d really affected of Pricescope were to ever go away without warning.

Jewelry projects? Forget about it...I don''t know anywhere else on the web I''d go to for ideas and advice.

You all are my water cooler. Yeah, I''ve got real life friends, but they''re not hanging out with me in my home office. So much fun to watch the chatter here even if I don''t pipe in. So I''d be pretty much seeking something else to replace my water cooler, but I doubt I''d find a more intelligent, varied group of people anywhere else.

And lastly, my pregnancy history and first year of my daughter''s life would be gone, details wise. I''ve been saying forever that I was going to copy and paste all my entries on Pricescope during that time, but I haven''t yet. I''ve already forgotten so much. If Pricescope were to disappear tomorrow, so much of my personal history would be gone too. I was too lazy to write in a journal, but it was so easy to blog here.

One thing is for sure...I''d probably have more money in my wallet.
1.gif

Would you care, above and beyond thinking it was a bummer?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA, whoops wrong forum, should have posted in Hangout!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG,
I didn''t see this in Hangout so I thought I''d reply here then. I would be sad if PS ended but life goes on. I''m glad to have many great friends here and actually met some in person and continue to write/call others. It''s also a great place to hangout and kill time, help people and generally something along the way.
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would be sad, yes life would go on but I like the community here: smart, intelligent people who like sparklies ;-) there is such a wealth of information here not only about gems and diamonds but other things as well and it would be a shame to lose that all.

I think I would especially miss BWW, having that forum and a bunch of other BTB understanding where you are and how you feel is invaluable to me.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
As a recent diamond purchaser (who previously knew absolutely nothing about diamonds), I don''t know what I would have done without the great advice I read/received here. I guess I would have been buying one of Jared''s peerless diamonds, rather than buying something better/cheaper online. Yikes, I don''t want to go there. Those salespeople give me nightmares.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
This crossed my mind before, TGal. I would be sad.

PS has become a part of my daily routine and I have learned so much from this forum.

There are also a lot of wonderful people that I would miss interacting with.

Yes, I would have to move on, but it would not be easy.
7.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be upset if PS was no longer around
15.gif
!
I also have a real life, with real friends...but none of my real life friends are intereseted in diamonds and jewelry like I am...I would have nobody to indulge with! I come here everyday, several times a day. I like the people, and I love looking at all of your pretty bling. I would definitely miss Pricescope!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I would go through serious withdrawal....
7.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 11:21:13 PM
Author: miraclesrule
7.gif
me 3 then likely get back into photography in the long term but it would be a bad couple weeks.
Then again some days are much better than others and I wouldn''t miss some of them.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 11:18:36 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
I would be upset if PS was no longer around
15.gif
!
I also have a real life, with real friends...but none of my real life friends are intereseted in diamonds and jewelry like I am...I would have nobody to indulge with! I come here everyday, several times a day. I like the people, and I love looking at all of your pretty bling. I would definitely miss Pricescope!
This is exactly how I feel. Well said
36.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 11:26:12 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/24/2009 11:21:13 PM
7.gif
me 3 then likely get back into photography in the long term but it would be a bad couple weeks.
Then again some days are much better than others and I wouldn''t miss some of them.
I would miss you strmrdr, and your ATW posts.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 10:54:56 PM
Author: Deelight
I would be sad, yes life would go on but I like the community here: smart, intelligent people who like sparklies ;-) there is such a wealth of information here not only about gems and diamonds but other things as well and it would be a shame to lose that all.
That is how I feel; I love the people here.
1.gif
I also would hope to stay in touch with the wonderful people I met in real life too and other friends I made here. So many different people bring so much to the table so it would be sad if all of a sudden it was gone. Everyone is lovely and it is fun little diversion from the day!! Yes life would go but I would wonder what everyone was up to and definitely would be wishing everyone the best.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I would be terribly sad. We are a community; many posters consider themselves friends in the truest sense. We would need to start our own forum. Definitely.

Most of us start by looking for answers, trying to gain knowledge. But we stay for the sense of family.

But you guys put a serious dent in my work productivity.
9.gif
Good thing I''m the manager.
28.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, glad I am not the only one. I agree that life goes on, but I think I would be in a mini state of shock if I went to my favorites, clicked on the PS link and it came up as site invalid. I mean, I''d blink for a full 10 seconds then refresh about 50 times. And being that I don''t talk to PS people outside of PS much, I''d be totally out of the loop and wonder if it was just computer! Which is why I DO keep in touch with the very few that I do have email addresses - just in case I have to ask, "Is Pricescope down for you too?"
37.gif

I think it was a year or two ago when PS went through a system upgrade and announced it would shut down for several hours. That withdrawl was bad enough!
I''ve always loved the Internet Forum medium though, but can only do one forum at a time. Since I''m ball and chained now, I''ve traded in my travel forum for Pricescope and never looked back.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. I would miss it a lot.. Life would go on of course, but I would be one cranky woman!!!!
14.gif
15.gif
39.gif

And that''s before menopause...
Hey I started the preggo thread, so am hoping I can start the change of life thread..

Oh you didn''t ask about that did you?
3.gif

Well I would miss the exchanges I have had with the fabulous people here. We are a community, and a family of sorts. If your community was taken away, wouldn''t you be sad?

TG, I hope your water cooler is here for a long time to come. I always enjoy chatting with you.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Even though I don''t post often, I would really miss Pricescope. I have learned so much about diamonds and colored gemstones and gotten so many ideas
11.gif
. I like reading many of the threads that are nonjewelry related too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heck yeah, I'd really miss all the people watching!! PS is like one of those awesome cafes where you can just go and sit for hours with a latte and never get bored... just keep looking around ... hehee.

From a diamond or shopping perspective... I pretty much know the vendors I'd work with and I don't really do the public collaboration thing anymore on projects, but yeah I would miss all the 'historical' knowledge that is in the RT threads.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:20:43 AM
Author: Mara
Heck yeah, I''d really miss all the people watching!! PS is like one of those awesome cafes where you can just go and sit for hours with a latte and never get bored... just keep looking around ... hehee.

From a diamond or shopping perspective... I pretty much know the vendors I''d work with and I don''t really do the public collaboration thing anymore on projects, but yeah I would miss all the ''historical'' knowledge that is in the RT threads.
Mara, with your post count...admit it...you''d go through withdrawals.
17.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:41:43 AM

Heck yeah, I''d really miss all the people watching!! PS is like one of those awesome cafes where you can just go and sit for hours with a latte and never get bored... just keep looking around ... hehee.

From a diamond or shopping perspective... I pretty much know the vendors I''d work with and I don''t really do the public collaboration thing anymore on projects, but yeah I would miss all the ''historical'' knowledge that is in the RT threads.
Mara, with your post count...admit it...you''d go through withdrawals.
17.gif
Ha ha you must not have seen how absent I have been for the last... year?
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course I would T-gal! How else would I undermine the American economy giving other countries the edge over us, while cheating my employer out of a hard days work? I'd have to start robbing banks if I didn't have this outlet for my deviant and unconcionable behavior.
9.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think I''d get over it. Not that I don''t love it here.
I was a member of a forum for one of my favorite bands for several years and when they left their record label the forum went kapoot (since the label owned the site). All of the regulars were pretty much just waiting for it to happen, and then one day it did. They went off to start their own forum, which I participated in for a few weeks, and then I left. It was easier to leave than I thought it was going to be.

Does that sound awful?

Or maybe I would miss it more than I think....I do tend to think about the posters who have left over time. And my first tears for a cyber-friend were shed on this forum, so perhaps I am more attached than I think.

I don''t know. I had time to prepare before, so that was probably a big part of it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:45:50 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 12:41:43 AM

Heck yeah, I'd really miss all the people watching!! PS is like one of those awesome cafes where you can just go and sit for hours with a latte and never get bored... just keep looking around ... hehee.

From a diamond or shopping perspective... I pretty much know the vendors I'd work with and I don't really do the public collaboration thing anymore on projects, but yeah I would miss all the 'historical' knowledge that is in the RT threads.
Mara, with your post count...admit it...you'd go through withdrawals.
17.gif
3.gif
Yes she's been very absent. But am glad you are back?? Are you back?? Hope the move went well!!!
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 1:17:41 AM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 2/25/2009 12:45:50 AM

3.gif
Yes she's been very absent. But am glad you are back?? Are you back?? Hope the move went well!!!
35.gif
OMG...Mara is back ??? scary !!
askeered.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My days would be more boring.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d really miss it. If I can''t get on for a day I wonder what''s happening with everyone so I can''t imagine if it just disappeared! It''s my break away from college and I''d definitely be affected if it went.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be very sad, helping people here has become a very enjoyable part of my life and I would miss interacting with so many great folks.
15.gif
Also there is so much great info in the archives that I would hope to be preserved to help those in the future, all the time it is current of course as things move forward.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I would be very much sad for various reasons..
It has become a part of my daily routine, and yes I am an addict. I don''t post or blog anywhere else online, so this is it for me.
I would be terribly disappointed for all of the potential consumers who wouldn''t be able to access all of the great info and generous help
39.gif

I would be sad to lose all of the awesome photos and fun threads that have been around, not to mention online mateys.
And I would have No Idea where to even start to get others who are as enthused and excited as I am to help with new projects/acquisitions!
40.gif

Actually, what did I do before PS...?
33.gif
I know I had more money...
I kid I kid!
Sure, life would move on, but it would be a lil less fun
7.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would miss it but I would get over it. I do love posting here and I love how everyone helps each other out. I think I probably spend a little too much time on here so I would need to find something else to do while I am stuck in the house.

As for jewellery purchases, I have a couple of vendors that I enjoy working with. I think the problem would come if all the well known vendors closed down. I wouldn''t know where to start finding new trustworthy ones. Pricescope is an invaluable resource and there isn''t anything else as good on the net.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 5:43:23 AM
Author: Maisie
Pricescope is an invaluable resource and there isn''t anything else as good on the net.
Amen to that it isn''t perfect but it is home.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 5:55:23 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/25/2009 5:43:23 AM
Author: Maisie
Pricescope is an invaluable resource and there isn''t anything else as good on the net.
Amen to that it isn''t perfect but it is home.
In a nutshell, thats how I feel too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results