shape
carat
color
clarity

Would it be rude of me if I asked you...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what you paid for your jewerly? do you mind? would you tell?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In person? Or on here?

In general though, if DF starts a question wtih "Would it be rude of me" I know the answer is "No."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1463814362|4034329 said:
In person? Or on here?

In general though, if DF starts a question wtih "Would it be rude of me" I know the answer is "No."
I ask this Q, b/c I posted a coin on a coin forum and a guy asked me what I paid for the coin on an open forum...just wondering how you guys would feel.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, on this forum, I wouldn't mind. If I felt uncomfortable I'd say it was a gift or pretend not to remember. I don't generally volunteer what things cost because I think it's a bit tacky.

In real life? If asked, I pretend not to know, or say I bought it a long time ago or whatever. Especially after my recent experience, I think it's a subject best avoided.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Not on the forum. I think I got asked on my very first post. In person, I tend to tell, and don't mind, but am seldom asked. Oddly, my two best friends, who are also gem collectors, never ask and don't really want to know. We all have different budgets and different kinds of sensitivity.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
In a forum scenario, no I wouldn't find it rude if someone asked about cost. In person, probably yes (unless it was a unique set of circumstances).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a forum; it depends who's asking.
In person; it depends who's asking.

example, my mother can ask how much I spent. I have no qualms in telling her. While it may not be her business per se, I have no issues with her knowing.

Recently at dinner, a friend of a friend asked me how much I spent on something. I said "nunya". People very quickly changed the subject after that :lol:

I've certainly aired prices in certain threads, though not on all of the stuff I own.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all about context, really. If you were looking for a deal on a particular piece I owned and you were shopping around to find out what the best price was, yes it would be ok to ask and yes I would tell you. If it's just totally random, like the guy asking you about a coin you posted, then I think there's no need to talk about cost and it's being rude to solicit that information out of sheer curiosity/nosiness. In other words, if the intent of the question is for truly educational purposes, fine, not rude. If it's for some sort of personal satisfaction or for you to form an opinion of the poster, nope, rude.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends who's asking and why. My mom? No. Not in any way shape form or instance. I'd never hear the end of it from someone who thinks $100 spent on a ring is atrocious. :saint:

If it's someone saying oh that's so pretty-how much was it? No. I tell them the cost is lessened every anniversary so I'm a bargain.

Someone here, wanting something similar, whether that be the AVC's or Single Stone, then I would say along the lines of "My setting was around X, but that was in 2012, so I'm not sure what prices are like now"

Some people become interested in something (coins, jewelry, fish, watches) and when they find a forum and start looking at things, they don't know or understand the cost involved. For me, I didn't know when I first came here the cost of things-*good quality* things. When you go to say, Kay's and all you understand is that you can get a 2ctw diamond solitaire for $1500 and then you come here and find out that the 2ctw at the store is cloudy and included etc and in reality to get a kick ass 2ctw is going to cost way more than $1500...well, it's nicer to know that stuff out of the gate.

And maybe part of it is b/c some people don't "get" why things cost what they do or why someone would pay a lot for something that someone else thinks is frivolous. Koi? I don't get it. Stamps? I don't get it. Coins? I don't get it. Diamonds? Yeah. AVC's? Oh *heck* yes. Gemstones? Yeahhh. Beautifully made settings? Yeah.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would tell anyone what my jewelry cost.
As a bargain hunter, and I'm kinda proud that I have acquired a nice jewelry collection on a shoestring budget.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think cost/price is one of the most interesting and pertinent aspects of the hunt/purchase and I think its a terrific way to keep 'the trade' above board ;))

Example: A recent setting I had done with a vendor who posts quite a bit here---I found out the markup used on my piece. I haven't shared that info here because no one talks numbers.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go out of my way to say how much something cost me but if someone asked me I'd most likely tell them. It depends on the person asking and the situation.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1463864838|4034545 said:
I think cost/price is one of the most interesting and pertinent aspects of the hunt/purchase and I think its a terrific way to keep 'the trade' above board ;))

Example: A recent setting I had done with a vendor who posts quite a bit here---I found out the markup used on my piece. I haven't shared that info here because no one talks numbers.

Ha! Touche.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH I will tell. On here I will likely tell. Someone I know from here off board I'll discuss it. But otherwise i don't usually discuss money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
For me, no. I know many people might find it inappropriate. I discuss everything openly though. I am not offended my most questions, so I may be in minority. I think I maybe overshare at times.....

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be fine with telling on here. Even my close friends and family I would tell in person. But a random who stops me on the street? Probably not.

TBH I usually have questions on here about prices, but I never want to make someone uncomfortable so I don't ask. Especially settings - I think it would be super helpful to actually KNOW how much a VC/LM/DK cost.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think because PS is a place for diamond education, the price piece would be really nice to know. But I've always wondered if the lack of price discussion is out of respect for the vendors. I'm not sure if the vendors themselves would be open to PSers posting about the cost of their work (specifically the custom work) or if it would be looked down upon because it might cause friction between the vendors ("xx vendor typically does this work for $xx, why can't you?") or if can put the vendors in a bind ("you did that PSers ring for $xx less, why?)

I actually think it would be really helpful, but I tend to be pretty open about that kind of thing. My first post on PS was exactly how much we spent in order to ensure we did not overspend. But again, for me it goes back to the education piece of PS.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think the price piece would be helpful. Even a general range like "my budget was $5k - $7k and I stayed in budget" would be informative. Sometimes it is hard to find comps and knowing a general range helps if I'm trying to sell or buy something similar. Of course, no worries if the poster prefers not to share the info. I find it funny there are a few posters who refuse to disclose to price, but have no problem telling another poster that they overpaid. I think that can be rude. DF, I do hope he politely asked the question since it sounds like he is a poster you don't have much familiarity with.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here? yes I would share. Out in the world? NO, as I have a reputation of being a [mostly] sane person. lol
Anyway, the cost of a lot of the things PSers buy is readily researchable.

I have a farm and the first thing people often say when they visit for the first time is - how many acres do you have? I usually lie and say it is less or else say "too many to take care of!". To me that's kinda like asking someone how much money they have in the bank. Nobody's business. But here - heck yes. Such an open forum, everything is everyone's business! I :love: PS. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I share this info with good friends and family if asked. And if asked here probably I would since I too would find it helpful to know the price of certain pieces. However, depending on the circumstance, I would use my common sense so whether or not I would share that info depends on the specific circumstance. No one rule applies for all times and there have been times I have not shared for one reason or another when asked. Won't go into the details however but suffice it to say it is a judgment call.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results